Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2015, 17:11   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 2015 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
• Offroad capability with 4x4, low ratio transfer case, LSD & lockable diff
The website and Toyota e- brochure does not specify LSD anywhere.
Can you confirm this ?
Old 15th February 2015, 21:32   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Congratulations! The only vehicle you could upgrade to IMO.
Thanks Sheel.

Quote:
While I agree to all your points, I would like to disagree on this. Please check Pajero SFX's prices anywhere on any classified. While there is no direct product from Hyundai, but Tuscon or Terracan don't hold up that well.
I agree that it is the situation today however the way Mitsubishi is going with their dealerships or lack there of, I believe that will have an impact on Pajero's resale so Santa Fe might have a better resale. That obviously involves speculation on my part. So considering the used car options available today, the rankings for resale value would be Fortuner, Pajero, Hyundai

Quote:
And reliability. Been seeing a couple of SFX's and they all are aging amazingly well, I would say it should be evens.
Agree. I actually believe they are all reliable enough that it isn't a deciding factor anymore. I don't intend to keep the car for more than 7-8 years and for that time horizon, all of them should be just fine.
hondadude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2015, 22:29   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
The website and Toyota e- brochure does not specify LSD anywhere.
Can you confirm this ?
Toyota India website is one of the worst automotive websites in India. Don't go by what it says. We had a lengthy discussion on "Driving all four wheels: how is it done?" thread. Go through with it. Our fellow senior BHP-ian Guderian confirmed it's presence. Here is the relevant post.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...ml#post3237337

Current Fortuner 4x4 is pretty capable now because of Torsen LSD, Traction Control and ESP (VSC) and of course lockable central differential with a proper low ratio Gear Box.

In my wish list for the next full model change will be:

1. All round disc brakes.

2. >4 Air bags.

3. 6 or 7 speed AT.

4. Hill Ascent and Descent Control (which is anyway an extension of ESP).

5. Cruise control even in 4x4 MT variant.

Regards.
mroptimist is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2015, 23:54   #64
AAD
BHPian

A question to Team Bhp experts on Toyota Fortuner. Does the 4x4 AT / MT version come with factory fitted Steering Dampers / Stabilisers? If not, what are the after market options?

Thanks in advance
Old 16th February 2015, 22:38   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
If you go by the sales numbers of both, looks like there are not many folks who will agree with you.

Hyundai has got an image problem. They have never been successful in any class beyond the Verna.

The illumnated power window buttons will not do any good when you are stranded somewhere and dealer cannot source parts on time.

People buy the fortuner or Toyota Innova for the matter for the reliability, cheap maintenance and spares and excellent resale value.
Buying a TOYOTA has been always a decision of the mind. Iam sure you will agree that It wont appeal to the heart much because of the lack of features and poor comfort. Now when it comes to the mind humans start behaving rationally . Why would one spend close to 30Lakh + for a car with the feature list even shorter than a mid variant Ciaz. For Off roading? Just because its TOYOTA makes the reliability tag worth so much. We are simply taking the argument of reliablity too far vis a vis the price we have to pay. And it would be cheaper to maintain ? Compares to what?
spyder_p8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 11:59   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder_p8 View Post
Why would one spend close to 30Lakh + for a car with the feature list even shorter than a mid variant Ciaz. For Off roading?
Nobody is suggesting you to buy Fortuner. I was saying that the Fortuner has got huge market acceptance, and there is no denying that...

As we have this theoretical discussion, there are plenty of folks putting their money on the Fortuner every month. Either they have a rational or maybe they are irrational.
4x4addict is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 12:09   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder_p8 View Post
Buying a TOYOTA has been always a decision of the mind. Iam sure you will agree that It wont appeal to the heart much because of the lack of features and poor comfort. Now when it comes to the mind humans start behaving rationally . Why would one spend close to 30Lakh + for a car with the feature list even shorter than a mid variant Ciaz. For Off roading? Just because its TOYOTA makes the reliability tag worth so much. We are simply taking the argument of reliablity too far vis a vis the price we have to pay. And it would be cheaper to maintain ? Compares to what?
Well the Fortuner does appeal to the heart and in a big way too. Honestly I don't think there is any other butch looking SUV out there in the market today in that price range. The Fortuner stands out in the crowd with its looks itself and a lot of people buy it for that.

As to your question about why would anyone spend 30L on it, well it has consistently sold 12-1500 units month after month since the time of launch way back in 2011 ( or was it 2010?). That is more than double the numbers of all other SUVs combined in its category.

And yes it is damn cheap to maintain, probably cheaper than that mid variant Ciaz that you mentioned. Just go through any of the multiple Fortuner ownership threads to get an idea of the servicing cost of the vehicle.
drmohitg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 17:59   #68
Team-BHP Support

When you notice that Renault Duster (based on Dacia Logan platform) is priced at Rs. 16 lacs on road Bangalore, Toyota Fortuner seems like a pretty decent VFM product at Rs. 30 Lacs.

30 Lacs seems to be a solid psychological price barrier. Probably because we have been used to talking about entry level BMW & Mercs in this price range. As far as I remember, Toyota Fortuner/Mitsubishi Pajero Sport etc have always been priced close to Rs. 30 Lacs on road. Not 30, but maybe Rs. 28.75 Lacs.

But how much does Rs. 1.25 Lacs translate into difference in EMI on a 5 year loan?
Old 17th February 2015, 20:28   #69

I was seriously looking at the Santa Fe until I started hearing of stories where the vehicle 'drifts' to one side or the other. I also drove a previous-gen SF and felt this first hand...it was on a ~5 hr drive and became extremely painful. Another member has already posted this link earlier on this thread...please take a look of you have not already: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3636270 (Hyundai Santa Fe : Official Review)
My question is this: If the Santa Fe has a serious issue like this, how can one consider this vehicle 'reliable' (in the sense of Toyota's reliability)? As everyone knows, even our urban roads are pretty bad. Given this report, I am very fearful that this will happen at some point (even in city-only driving) and, after spending ~35L on the Santa Fe, if I have to deal with this 'drift' problem, it's definitely not worth it. The Fortuner would definitely be a better option.
I love the Santa Fe's styling, features, power and ride (yes, done 2 test drives)...but given that I'm going to constantly have this 'reliability' issue at the back of my mind, I will always be uneasy. This is further compounded by my need to do medium distance ~350Km rural drives once/twice a month on state highways (which are pretty bad in some places). These trips sometimes could definitely use a 4wd - my Innova has got stuck twice (luckily, a tractor was nearby both times and I carry my own tow-cable).
The only thing that I was not happy with the Fortuner till now was a NO 4WD A/T but lo and behold....here it is!!!
Great review by the way!! Many thanks!
akadam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 20:58   #70
Senior - BHPian

You know, I have loved the Fortuner ever since it came to India, the bulk, the cheap service cost, the brutal reliability and when the 5 speed Automatic version came, I looked at it like a complete package.

Yes, its expensive, Yes features wise it does not offer much, Yes the ride is bouncy, but YES it will last 15 to 20 years without a hiccup and even if there are, Toyota will take care of it is what still keeps me in aww of that car, whenever I have the budget of 30 lakhs and this is the segment I am looking for, I will look no further.
humyum is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2015, 20:45   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
You know, I have loved the Fortuner ever since it came to India, the bulk, the cheap service cost, the brutal reliability and when the 5 speed Automatic version came, I looked at it like a complete package.

Yes, its expensive, Yes features wise it does not offer much, Yes the ride is bouncy, but YES it will last 15 to 20 years without a hiccup and even if there are, Toyota will take care of it is what still keeps me in aww of that car, whenever I have the budget of 30 lakhs and this is the segment I am looking for, I will look no further.
I couldn't agree less.

Its been over a year now with approx 10K on ODO. I have spent only approx 3200.00 on 10k service . That too would have been less if i hadnt opted for engine clean/spray of wurth

Since we travel outside a lot, its covered for couple of weeks in parking. Wood touch, negligible tyre pressure loss. Always starts. Engine bay is dirty with dust but we only open it once back in country to just spot any rats (phew) if any but none yet.

Its truly fill it shut it forget it and just drive type vehicle. Truly workhorse. Noisy, bouncy.. who cares... when it can sustain daily grind without complain and with good after service and quality product. well its the best decision we have made in our car ownership since 2003. (changes couple of cars so we/you know how much costs are incurred in maintaining it)

Cheers, RJ
roadjourno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 21:19   #72
BHPian

i own 2012 Fortuner 4x4 manual
and just completed 78000 kms on stock tyres
dealer says still i can drive on more 10000kms.
that what we call relablity...huh

Last edited by neo_trace : 25th February 2015 at 21:21.
neo_trace is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 15:49   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_trace View Post
i own 2012 Fortuner 4x4 manual
and just completed 78000 kms on stock tyres
dealer says still i can drive on more 10000kms.
that what we call relablity...huh
Well tyres running that long...the credit should go to the tyre company i guess. I'v had two scorpios that i completed 100k kms in without changing the stock tyres and with enough tread in them that the dealer who bought my car asked me if i'd got my tyres changed 30-40k kms back and was shocked to know that the tyres had completed 100k kms.
Even my rexton that has now clocked 55k kms has a minimum of another 15k kms tread left on it and this told to me by my tyre dealer himself who would actually profit from giving me a lowered figure.
Maybe my rexton is very reliable too then

Overall one can't run away from the fact that the fortune is now very very expensive. Maybe the company adds on the lowered cost of maintaining a Toyota in its initial sticker price so that the dealers are happy. The only logical reason as over time one would expect the company to have nullified its main capital costs i.e. dyes and tooling which should reduce the cost rather than increase it.
Old 1st March 2015, 19:15   #74
Senior - BHPian

Great review..
1. Is it possible to retrofit the navigation enabled headunit into 2013 4x4mt model?
2. Is it going to be expensive as compared to after market a good HU say Pioneer with navigation and other facilities?
Which one would not void warranty ?
~Rahul
Old 1st March 2015, 21:59   #75
BHPian

Visited local TOYOTA showroom yesterday, to take a look at the FORTUNER 4x2 AT & INNOVA. This & other similar threads have spoken well of the Fortuner by & large so was curious to take a closer look. Particularly, I wanted to look at the 4X2 AT. The showroom did not have any Fortuner AT, so sales person showed me an older TD Fortuner which was MT. Did not take a TD, only looked at it at this time.

Very impressive. Huge vehicle with rugged looks. It stood so tall compared the Innova. Everything about it looked like a TOYOTA class. The Fortuner 4X2 AT, he said was 30L+ on the road price and Z variant Innova was 18L+ on the road. Now these are price ranges that are no way 'affordable' to any & all. Anyway, I he got talking more and he was telling me all the 'goodies' that TOYOTA has added now to new models.

However, I was very disappointed to learn that in the Fortuner 4x2 at the 30+L price range, did not have cruise control. Same was the case with the top end Innova, no cruise control. Like we know, the Innova still does not have a AT gear box at this 18L+ price range.

Having lived in the US for 15+ years and owning a TOYOTA CAMRY which at the time was fully loaded, it is surprising that TOYOTA is giving such 'treatment' to the Indian customer. Further, I was travelling in the UAE recently and I saw all cabs in Dubai that are Innovas have a AT gearbox. What is stopping TOYOTA India from giving the Innova an AT gearbox? Surely both Innovas & Fortuners are a grand success in India....the sales figures speak for it, but I walked out getting the impression that TOYOTA in India is not treating the Indian customers on par with its international customers. They are selling the Innovas & Fortuners with a bit of facelift each year and incrementally increasing prices, but cutting down on features that they provide their international customers. I guess, the Indian customer for them is way down on the value chain....and why not TOYOTA India is reaping huge profits with runaway success on the under featured Innovas & Fortuners.

Contrary to that, HONDA India has been a lot better. I own a HONDA CITY and most creature comfort & safety features (e.g. ABS, Air Bags, Cruise Control, ACC, paddle shifts for AT gear box etc.) that HONDA provides to its international customers are 'almost' equally provided to the Indian customers unlike what TOYOTA India is doing.

Please do not get me wrong, I love the TOYOTA cars since they are very very reliable and low cost maintenance and great re-sale value (like the HONDA cars). I even owned a CAMRY once and really liked it. I may still decide to own a TOYOTA (Fortuner or Innova) one day, but customers like us are really not given the 'best' by TOYOTA for the price premium they demand from us. In future even if they add these features, they will bump up the price even higher.
geotracks is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks