Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2016, 17:27   #166
BHPian

re: Review: 2015 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush46 View Post
Thanks for your reply superflyboy,
I forgot to mention in detail that the whistling sound only comes when the car is about to come to complete halt and not as soon as the brakes are pressed.

Being a noob, i didn't really understand anything about the brake pad wear sensor. Can you please explain ?
I should have stated brake pad wear indicator, rather than a sensor - as the Fortuner is really *very* basic.

You can see it in this YouTube video:

and this one:

SuperFlyBoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 17:36   #167
BHPian

Quote:
I should have stated brake pad wear indicator, rather than a sensor - as the Fortuner is really *very* basic.

You can see it in this YouTube video
Thanks for explaining it. Appreciate it.

But i doubt it is the problem in my car because in my car it is more of a whistling noise at the very end of braking process rather than this whining noise as shown in the video.
Old 4th April 2016, 17:56   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for explaining it. Appreciate it.

But i doubt it is the problem in my car because in my car it is more of a whistling noise at the very end of braking process rather than this whining noise as shown in the video.
The car would have to be checked thoroughly.

It could be bearings, transmission or some other problem - it is very difficult to diagnose just on this information.

The fact that you had a brake problem earlier might not be connected to this current situation, which could be the transmission or some other part/s, system.

Note that the wear indicator is usually (as per my experience) a "screeching" type of sound.

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy : 4th April 2016 at 17:57.
SuperFlyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 18:38   #169
BHPian

Quote:
It could be bearings, transmission or some other problem - it is very difficult to diagnose just on this information.

The fact that you had a brake problem earlier might not be connected to this current situation, which could be the transmission or some other part/s, system.

Note that the wear indicator is usually (as per my experience) a "screeching" type of sound.
I am going to the service centre tomorrow. Lets see what happens. Fingers crossed.
Old 11th May 2016, 18:20   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAD View Post
To all Guru's on DIY for Fortuner,

I want my ORVM's to fold automatically when I switch off the car unlike currently where I have to do so manually ( one tends to forget most of the times) and for the mirrors to again open when I turn the ignition switch. At the Toyota dealership this is being quoted at 12,000/-

In most parking lots and also with the daily Car cleaner, it's stressful to know that some over enthusiastic guy is going to fold the mirrors manually.

Appreciate any assistance and thanks in advance.

Cheers.
If you're still looking for this accessory, I had the 'auto-folding mirrors' accessory fitted last week to my 4x4 AT Fortuner at the Toyota dealership in Gurgaon and paid Rs 5600 for it. Worth it at that price for the peace of mind. So the dealer in your area should not be quoting Rs 12000 for this. Can get it cheaper outside but make sure there is no cutting or splicing of wires as this can invalidate the wiring warranty.
Old 11th May 2016, 18:25   #171
AAD
BHPian

Thanks Ashnd

I certainly am looking for this. The price quoted is certainly attractive as it comes with Toyota warranty. I will certainly check this out during my 20k service.

Meanwhile, I have adopted the next least cost solution, i.e to do it manually each time I park the vehicle.

Cheers
Old 17th July 2016, 18:12   #172
BHPian

I was unsure where to write this so posting it here. I would request mods to post to appropriate section, if it exists.

So the backstory can be understood from my previous posts as quoted below :

Quote:
So the thing is we acquired our beast (4x4 auto) about 6 months ago and at around 15000kms or 3rd service the brake pads were changed because as per service peeps they were unfit for further use. Then i thought due to enthusiastic driving, lack of rear discs and massive weight of the beast; it is fine. But now again at around 25000 kms the brakes are making whistling noise. The service is due and I am going tomorrow for it. But before going to the service centre i wanted to ask experts for their views about it and suggest what it is all about and what should be done.
I would also like to mention now that the car has already clocked around 37xxx kms and in this short span of time, brake pads have already been changed twice (once at 15xxx kms and the other was at 30xxx kms) and the front brake discs have also been changed once. All of this because i wanted that whistling sound to vanish and keep my brakes at top notch condition. But to no avail, they started to make noise again at around 345xx kms. Not only this, now the beast makes a weird whistling kind of noise even while driving normally and when no brakes are applied. I have already consulted 3 dealerships in Noida, Gurgaon and Faridabad, but all they say is that sir your car is very heavy and the discs are only present in front, so this problem will persist, no matter what.

So, being really fed up, i wrote a mail to toyota. I agree, i went to out of station the next day. So they wrote me a computer generated reply (most probably) which stated that they are not able to contact me. So when i called their helpline number, i was assured that i will get a response within 24 hours, but no response came. I called them again two days later and the same reply came and still no response. I was really frustrated and again called the helpline number and straightaway asked them to make me talk to their seniors. And to my utter surprise the senior also assured me that an action will be taken but more than 24 hours have already past and still no reply came from toyota.

I really cannot connect toyota with being reliable and customer friendly after seeing this attitude of theirs. I have already paid an hefty amount on one of their premium offerings just to ensure that i get bulletproof reliability and grievance handling but after seeing such attitude of toyota, i am comparing their attitude with that of skoda who is very famous for their poor attitude towards customers. (no offence meant to the owners though)

I really cannot understand as to what should i do to get my problem resolved and hence penning down my issues here. Please suggest.
Piyush46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2016, 18:57   #173
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So, being really fed up, i wrote a mail to toyota. I agree, i went to out of station the next day. So they wrote me a computer generated reply (most probably) which stated that they are not able to contact me. So when i called their helpline number, i was assured that i will get a response within 24 hours, but no response came. I called them again two days later and the same reply came and still no response. I was really frustrated and again called the helpline number and straightaway asked them to make me talk to their seniors. And to my utter surprise the senior also assured me that an action will be taken but more than 24 hours have already past and still no reply came from toyota.
Stick with e-mails Piyush. Everytime I contact a manufacturer, they ask me to provide me my phone no. I gently but firmly insist on e-mail exchanges so that I have record of their statements in black and white.

Those e-mails will have all the details of my issues and as to what are they doing to solve it. Yes, at one point you have to provide your phone no but that is different. Till an appointment isn't fixed over e-mail, I usually do not give away my phone no. And they are too dumb to search their records for our phone nos.

The issue appears something else, skimming of discs, but you already have had a disc change. You might show your Fortuner to any our BHPians driving another example and they may be of some help here. I do sometimes drive a 4X4 MT but brake pads are lasting beyond 40K and there are no noise as yet.

Keep us in loop
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2016, 21:51   #174
AAD
BHPian

Hi Piyush,

I too own the 4x4 Auto and have done 25000 kms since Oct15. During the last 20K service, I was advised by my SA at LaKozy Toyota, Malad, Mumbai that my brake pads may bed change at 25K or 30 K.

The brakes appear fine to me and I don't hear any other foreign noise as you have described.

A practice that I diligently follow is to downshift to D4 n then to 3 while slowing down this using the engine braking to assist me in reducing the load on the brakes.

You should try this too, particularly if your driving is more on Highways as mine is.

Cheers
Old 12th December 2016, 01:23   #175
BHPian

Hey all, the navigation SD card was flicked from the car, could be the valet guys not sure, this is the second time it's happening to me! The first time on my MMI device and now on the Tfort! Anyway, I visited the Toyota service center and found out that the map card costs a whopping 8K!. Just wanted to know if anyone has come up with an alternative solution to replace the card??
Old 13th December 2016, 17:06   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by leprechaun View Post
Hey all, the navigation SD card was flicked from the car, could be the valet guys not sure, this is the second time it's happening to me! The first time on my MMI device and now on the Tfort! Anyway, I visited the Toyota service center and found out that the map card costs a whopping 8K!. Just wanted to know if anyone has come up with an alternative solution to replace the card??
Could it not be cloned/mirror image copied from someone else's card?
Old 15th December 2016, 21:23   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
Could it not be cloned/mirror image copied from someone else's card?
Hey ID,
I've yet to try that out, but I think the sd card will most probably be protected especially if it costs 8000 bucks, but hey who knows?! I'll give it a shot and keep you guys posted, still on the hunt for someone with the nav card. Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 23:24   #178
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think the sd card will most probably be protected especially if it costs 8000 bucks
Yes, most likely. If it does not work, check if you can change the complete system to some newer generation with Android Auto/ Carplay. I never trust inbuilt navigation. If nothing works out better forgot SD card, find a good holder and plonk in any unused smartphone with Sim.
Old 16th December 2016, 08:02   #179
BHPian

Quote:

I would also like to mention now that the car has already clocked around 37xxx kms and in this short span of time, brake pads have already been changed twice (once at 15xxx kms and the other was at 30xxx kms) and the front brake discs have also been changed once.

I really cannot understand as to what should i do to get my problem resolved and hence penning down my issues here. Please suggest.
Brake pads changed twice in 30K kms does not look good. My Fortuner is 6 years old with 92K kms on odo and still continuing on original brake pads. The brake lining is 10mm thick and even after so many kms and countless extreme hill trips (read ladakh spiti) the lining now measures 4mm.
I would suggest getting the runout of brake discs checked. I don't remember the value but its somewhere in Guderian's thread. With regard to rear drums please ask them to open the brakes and set them again with the adjustment screw. Once they have set it and closed the cover, ensure that both rear wheels are rotating freely by hand when the vehicle is on lift. Also check that the rear brakes get released when you disengage the hand brake.
When you give your car for service there is a feedback form which they ask you to fill. Give a rating of 5-6. You will get a call from TKM. The dealership does move if TKM calls. Atleast mine did when the GM works of the dealership here came to my house to address the issues when i gave a poor rating.
Also as Sheel has suggested, stick with emails for records.
Old 16th December 2016, 08:59   #180
Senior - BHPian

And you thought Fortuner was huge?
Isuzu does a better job at that and more at 13lac!
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 2015 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 Automatic-img20161215wa0079.jpg  

Review: 2015 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 Automatic-img20161215wa0080.jpg  

jkdas is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks