Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2016, 13:48   #61
BHPian

re: Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped! Update: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Lovely review with emotions attached. Thoroughly loved it. Thanks for sharing.
TorqueManR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 14:08   #62
BHPian

Superb choice! If decisions are to be based on ownership experiences, then this thread is a perfect example on how it is to be penned.
Keep revving and drive safe
rav11stars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 15:11   #63
BHPian

Its a brilliantly penned down review. Rated it a well deserved 5 star. I was glued to the screen from start to the end. Congratulations for owning this beast of an engine.

I felt very sad at seeing the condition of your Rapid, after all I am another Rapid owner. Natural calamities are beyond the control of mortals, but as fellow BHPians have pointed out, all is well that ends well.

I agree that the pricing strategy is well planned and understood by the top honchos in Maruti but at the same time when Maruti sells a car North of 13 Lacs and doesn't provide basics like fog lamps, puts the same steering wheel as lower Marutis and omits the backlit window controls, it somewhat compromises the very premiumness its trying to create with the name Nexa.

Having said that, I must reiterate that it's a wonderful engine and a very capable mile muncher. Their focus on the safety features also deserves a special mention. I wish you many happy kilometres on your S- Cross.

Last edited by cruising_rapid : 13th January 2016 at 15:23. Reason: Typing errors
cruising_rapid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 16:35   #64
BHPian

I am one of those who reads the bullet points and skips the paragraphs! But this review was way too enjoyable to skip even a word. Rating this 5 stars!

The S-Cross seems to be a very practical car just like the Ertiga (not comparing in terms of power though!) Wish you many happy miles on your car!
veyron_head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 16:47   #65
BHPian

Congratulations on the new toy!

Sad to see the Penguin drown.

For a first review, excellent articulation

Your observation on S-Cross is perfect here!

Quote:

To me, the S Cross is an Android at heart, with Windows appeal and an Apple Price tag! This conglomeration of confusion probably didn't strike the right chords with masses.
The day I saw ads and news on S-Cross, I fell for this machine - Chemistry! But right now I do not have a need for another car.

However, I have been recommending this to my friends [No! I DO NOT work for Maruti and NOT a share-holder as well ] and every time I get the same sneer. Masses are yet to understand and feel what this car could deliver!

Wish you more and more miles of happy and safe driving!
Srikanthan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 17:22   #66
BHPian

A really beautifully written review. Congrats on the new addition to the family. You may have lost a family member but gained another.

Couldn't agree more with you on the tyres. have the V12's on my T-jet.
keroo1099 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 17:28   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely review. Some of these just stand out the way it's presented and that's why a lot of us don't feel bored of reading about the same product.

You have nailed some of the cons - a premium car deserves to have some features as standard and Maruti treats even a premium car like their budge offerings. I thought the Zeta versin came with Auto AC & Cruise control. The variant shuffling seems quote different from the 1.3 variants or did i get it wrong?

Thank you for sharing the beautiful pics and narration. Wish the car serves you with a lot of smiles.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 13th January 2016 at 17:30.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 18:52   #68
BHPian

One of the best In-Detail review I have read in recent times. Truly appreciate the dedication not only for cars but also to helping mentality to share the information for others. A well deserved Five start rating!

Feel sorry for you penguin lose but your spirit of bouncing back is commendable.

The only worry I have for you is that looking at the current scenario, it's not going to be a far time ahead when Maruti is going to bombard with much steeper discounts as the numbers are not encouraging. I hope you don't look back and feel dejected.
RaghuVis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 19:20   #69
BHPian

Quote:
A Saying flashed my mind "If you don’t look back at your car after you park it, you’ve bought the wrong car

Little did I know, that was the last time I could drive her. One Last Drive, in the rain, so that the tears couldn't be seen at all.

Attachment 1456943
This line / scene could have been straight out of a movie. Excellent write up. Truly heartfelt. I cannot reiterate enough how awesomely well written this review is.

I too have received the Maruti related comments on both my cars (i.e. the Ciaz and the S-Cross)

"Ten Lakhs for a maruti!? What a waste!"

"Ciaz!? It's the same as SX4 only some minor change"

"Does Maruti even know how to make an SUV? You should have gone for Mahindra, they make the best SUVs"

But yes, informed choices make for happier motoring. Glad to see you've made one as well. Congrats on Crossbreed. Wishing you many happy miles ahead.
Jeevith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 19:21   #70

Wow . What can be said for the first 1.6 of the Team-Bhp? Great skills of writing there Mi10. Loved going through and the slight and humble sense which flows quite rhythmically is read to be believed. Well the discounts nowadays as i have read on net are around 5.5 lakhs on 1.6. Correct me. Thats a fantastic value. Even though what you got and what you do with your ride determines its significance and the way you transformed your ride is exemplary. Thanks for this review as i was waiting patiently for a 1.6 to be reviewed from the user point of view and you have managed that fantastically. Given 5 stars much due. Keep Revvin.

Pravin V. K
PravStar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 19:34   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
. I thought the Zeta versin came with Auto AC & Cruise control. The variant shuffling seems quote different from the 1.3 variants or did i get it wrong?
Thank you!

The Zeta version of DDiS 200 and DDiS 320 have slightly different feature list.

The DDiS 320 misses out on the Auto A/C and Cruise Control but gains the sliver painted roof rails which over the DDiS 200

Slightly confusing trim levels between the two engines!
Mi10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 21:35   #72
BHPian

Mi10, how I wish I could give more than 5 stars Extremely creative & well written review. I just loved those info-graphics that you have created, just out of the world.

Wish you many many safe and happy miles.
SafeDrive0107 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 13:03   #73
Senior - BHPian

Interlude | A Stitch in time

Day 43 (Wed, 14th Jan 2016)

The time showed 23:12, easily couple of hours over my usual log out time from my office. It was a tiring day, but the moment I saw the S Cross standing in a near vacant parking lot, my senses got an instant lift. I pressed the start button and the engine purred to life. I just sat there for the mandatory idle in Turbo Diesel cars

Why is it necessary to idle a Turbo car?

After a minute, I moved her slowly over the ramp, exited on to the street road. The Dim sodium-vapour lighting cast some unearthly shadows from the nearby branches. I pottered down the lane, took right and hit the main road. The road was near empty, and the temptation of flooring her, was just too much to resist. However, I was supposed to be in the run-in period...

Let’s branch off for a little discussion on Running in the Engine

My Take on Run-in
Quote:
I treat my cars as a baby, as my own blood. Hence, I ensure utmost care and move around very consciously. However, that doesn’t mean, I will baby it forever. I do not believe in the ‘Keep your speedo under 60 kmph’ or ‘do not exceed 2500 rpm rules’. To me a run-in period, is well, a run-in period. My understanding is that the engine needs to run on all types of speeds and all types of rpms so that all the components sync and gel properly. This might require driving the car at 4th gear @ 45 kmph as well as gear shifts @ 4k rpm. I do rev the engine as high as 4k-4.5k rpm sometimes, however, when I do these type of runs, I ensure the pedal input is gradual and seamless rather than stomping on it in haste like a drag run! The Engine – gives its feedback to you in terms of three main parameters:
  • Noise
  • Vibration
  • Heat / Smoke

If you are hearing the heart beat of your engine, then you can quickly understand if your engine is taking in a lot of stress or just warming up for flexing its muscles, during such high rpm runs.

This is the run-in method, i had followed for all my cars till date and the S cross is no exception.

Bounding back to the main story
...However, I was supposed to be in the run-in period. The main roads were well lit from both sides, and being a connecting road for many IT SEZ’s it is easily one of the best roads inside Chennai.

I gradually accelerated her, taking up to 4k rpm in each gear. Within no time, she was in her zone, munching off the roads, and dismissing broken patches with disdain. Crossing the the 3 digit mark was a breeze. While I was thoroughly enjoying the drive, I noticed the steering vibration creeping in slowly. It kept increasing with speed. I let the pedal ease, thinking it must have been some stone struck between the tyres, the vibrations vanished. But to my dismay, it again happened – the moment I go past a particular speed, the vibrations crept in the steering. I remember, I did notice this in my last long drive too, however it was not an extended drive to check this out. Also, to be fair, my enthusiasm and excitement made me over look it. I slowed down and cruised around 80 to reach home.

My was mind pondering on all possibilities. I for sure knew it was to do something with either the tyres or alloys since the vibrations were only in the steering and not on Gear lever or pedals or anywhere else. I had a disturbed sleep owing to my anxiety.

Day 44 (Thu, 14th Jan 2016)

Today morning, I visited the tyre shop only to notice an alarming miss from my side. Before even taking the delivery, I had visited the shop and told him about my option of choosing between 16” or 17” Alloys in 114.3 pcd configuration. However during the time for alloy change, we were so engrossed in the pattern, Color and size, we completely forgot the PCD factor.

Apparently the alloy I had selected was a 112 x 5 PCD. It didn’t even strike me, because the stock bolts of the S cross went in comfortably! Also, there was not a single clue this side of 100 kmph. For a moment, I was in state of shock. How did I overlook such a simple and basic aspect of choosing an alloy. The tyre shop assured me that, he had fit 112 PCD alloys on Creta (which is same 114.3 x 5 PCD) and there was no issues. Hence also stressed that only thing the S cross needs is a proper sleeve post which one can run the alloys on at any speed. However, I was nervous about compromising on vital thing as PCD. I requested him to show me alloys only of 114.3 PCD. He did hesitate, but since it was a clear miss from his end (in showing me a wrong PCD alloy in first place), he said ok for swapping to a new set of alloys.

Unfortunately, there were not many options in 17” 114.3 PCD to choose from his shop. I didn’t want to sway away from Momo, since it had a good brand value, nice finishes, and decent weight among the other light weight alloys (HRS, SSW).
As fate would have it, I had to choose between 4 options only.
  1. Momo Sting – in Hypersliver
  2. Momo Reds – in Anthracite and Silver cuts
  3. Momo Revenge – in Anthracite
  4. Momo Strike 2 – in Gloss Black

First one was ruled out since I wasn’t looking for a Hyper silver color

Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped! Update: Sold!-img_1503.jpg
This is the second one:Reds. too flashy and the cuts had silver which wasn’t to my taste.

Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped! Update: Sold!-img_1500.jpg
Revenge I did like it (although it was too common), however I wanted in black – but it was available only in 16”

Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped! Update: Sold!-img_1499.jpg
Strike 2 – I was hoping this to be the ideal replacement for winpro, alas, it was looking much worse when shod. The Gloss and Chrome was too much bling for me! Rejected without a second look!

Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped! Update: Sold!-img_1504.jpg
The 5 Spoke Reds vs the Multi Spoke Revenge

Finally, I choose the Revenge in 17” Matt Anthracite, since it had a better appeal when compared to the rest.

On the looks front, the Winpro in matt black scremed 'Gangasta'! Whereas the Revenge looked anything but revenge It was pretty, but it was also quite tamed down.

Not much could be done, since I had already paid for the alloys, and the shop wasn't ready to source me the same alloy in the right PCD. In a way, I felt a bit lucky; If not for that enthusiastic drive last night, I would have taken even longer to find out this PCD mismatch issue! And thereby reducing my chances for a complete exchange of alloys!

Everything happens for a reason; No this is not a statement born out of facts or evidences; But this is probably the easiest way to convince your Brain to move over!

Here is a comparison between the two sets of alloys

Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped! Update: Sold!-alloy-transform.jpg
Notice the Full matt black alloys complimenting the Black cover running all through the lower side of the car

Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped! Update: Sold!-alloy-transform2.jpg
Teenager vs Manager
Gangsta looks elevate the car to an more aggressive look, on contrary the Civilized looking Revenge make the car look like a subtly modded hatch

Some pics with the new Alloys

Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped! Update: Sold!-img_1515.jpg
Clean side profile - Trust me the car looks better in Flesh

Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped! Update: Sold!-img_1530-copy.jpg
The Matt Anthracite is has a Deep Grey hue which does compliment lighter shades

End of the day, I chose safety over looks; and i am more relived now.

Last edited by Mi10 : 14th January 2016 at 13:11.
Mi10 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 13:44   #74
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase! Great car and a very thorough and gripping review!

Quote:
A Saying flashed my mind "If you don’t look back at your car after you park it, you’ve bought the wrong car

Little did I know, that was the last time I could drive her. One Last Drive, in the rain, so that the tears couldn't be seen at all.

Attachment 1456943
This part, literally had me teary-eyed. Sad to see your tryst with the Rapid cut short like this. RIP Penguin

Anyway, The S-Cross 1.6 seems like a good enough replacement with that Torque-monster under the hood. I hope it can fill the void
If I'm not wrong, this seems to be the first ownership thread on the DDiS 320 on Team-BHP.
I wish the steering had better feedback. With that powerful engine, sorted chassis dynamics and decent handling, this has a lot of potential to be a driver's delight!

Regarding the alloys, I personally liked the new 'Revenge' ones. They suit the car better IMO, and give it that proper Sleeper look.

Wish you many happy and trouble-free miles with your premium Crossover.
Rohan24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 14:02   #75

Great Review.
If anyone has passion it shows in eyes and words.
After reading this review I can say with surety that you my friend are one passionate man.

As a personal choice I like Momo Revenge better on your car. May be age :P

I too do turn around and look at my cars a second time after parking them for the night cause I love them like my family. Love the stance of my Zen and Ecosport. Not so much for Ritz(no offence to anyone).

1.6 is excellent choice. 1.3 is simply too small for this bulky and long car. On that note whenever I look at Ciaz I feel Maruti did injustice to this beautiful car by plonking 1.3 DDIS.
Phoneix is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks