Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2021, 05:08   #46
BHPian

Re: My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG

Nope no front suspension noises for me..25k.

Roof rattle is an issue. Although last week it took the car to and fng to get a dinged door and scratches fixed. He seems to have done something and the rattling is gone. I'll wait a bit and report again in a couple of weeks.

The fogging is expected. Don't worry about it. At best, keep reporting officially to the service centre for future warranty claims. But it's going to happen with xenon lamps and under high humidity conditions.
Old 1st August 2021, 10:54   #47
BHPian

Re: My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanboy View Post
There is none on my car yet though its just been driven almost 9k. But this sounds more to do with the brake plate, rather than the pins of the caliper or the caliper itself, as the thin metal plates if too close to the disc/rotors tend to make such noises when driving on bad roads. Had a similar problem with the jetta and bending the plates a bit backwards helped. So I guess you should get that checked too.

Nah it still Creaks I guess its with the car design.
Well mine seems to be the highest run Passat B8 on TBhp then, 34K kms since Oct 2018 when I bought it. VW has called me tomorrow early morning and they plan to take apart each and every suspension component and check them individually to see which one is making that noise. Let’s see what happens.

Kanboy, on a disc brakes equipped car, exactly which part are you referring to as “brake plates”, can you post an image from the web ? I’ll get those checked too for the issue you told me you had on your Jetta.
Old 1st August 2021, 11:31   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishesh View Post
Well mine seems to be the highest run Passat B8 on TBhp then, 34K kms since Oct 2018 when I bought it. VW has called me tomorrow early morning and they plan to take apart each and every suspension component and check them individually to see which one is making that noise. Let’s see what happens.
Yes, I guess yours is the most driven passat here so far, and I really hope your problem does get identified and recitified.

Quote:
Kanboy, on a disc brakes equipped car, exactly which part are you referring to as “brake plates”, can you post an image from the web ? I’ll get those checked too for the issue you told me you had on your Jetta.
Here I am attaching a picture from the net with the disc plate marked in Red behind the disc/rotors in the black. I hope this helps you if you the the kard-kard sound from the front and goes away on application of brakes. This happens at times during a disc pad change. Would appreciate if you can record the sound and post it here, as sometimes worn bushings also make that same noise, but that doesn't go away on applying brakes.
Attached Thumbnails
My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG-screenshot_20210801111434_chrome.jpg  

Old 1st August 2021, 11:48   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgntpepper View Post
Roof rattle is an issue. Although last week it took the car to and fng to get a dinged door and scratches fixed. He seems to have done something and the rattling is gone. I'll wait a bit and report again in a couple of weeks.
I guess the man lubricated the Rubber beading, that tends to fade the noise till the time they become dry again. Lubricated that, the Sun Roof movement channel and the rear sun shade movement channel(After someone's shade gave up here from the forum and was quoted stupendous prices to fix it) a few weeks back. That has helped with the noise, but I applied a very thin layer as I didnt want to ruin my roof lining as we used the Spray lubricant.

Quote:
But it's going to happen with xenon lamps and under high humidity conditions.
I think we have LEDs, not xenons. Nevertheless you are right high humidity is surely gonna cause fogging
Old 1st August 2021, 12:26   #50
BHPian

Quote:
I guess the man lubricated the Rubber beading, that tends to fade the noise till the time they become dry again. Lubricated that, the Sun Roof movement channel and the rear sun shade movement channel(After someone's shade gave up here from the forum and was quoted stupendous prices to fix it) a few weeks back. That has helped with the noise, but I applied a very thin layer as I didnt want to ruin my roof lining as we used the Spray lubricant.

I think we have LEDs, not xenons. Nevertheless you are right high humidity is surely gonna cause fogging
Last time when I was at VW ASS, I asked them if there is any response from VW HQ regarding the sunroof groaning noise and that several users are reporting the same in their B8. They said there is a spray lubricant (INR 5000) which the customer must pay for and apply to their sunroof channels and other parts and it should get rid of the noise. They have been given the same instructions for Tiguan and one more VW model with similar complaints. Is it the same lubricant that you’re talking about here Kanboy ?
Old 1st August 2021, 12:30   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I guess yours is the most driven passat here so far, and I really hope your problem does get identified and recitified.

Here I am attaching a picture from the net with the disc plate marked in Red behind the disc/rotors in the black. I hope this helps you if you the the kard-kard sound from the front and goes away on application of brakes. This happens at times during a disc pad change. Would appreciate if you can record the sound and post it here, as sometimes worn bushings also make that same noise, but that doesn't go away on applying brakes.
Thanks for the quick response and attached picture Kanboy, I had no idea that this plate could make the khad-khad noise too. The very reason that the noise mostly goes away on application of brakes is why I keep suspecting the brake calipers even after replacement. Tomorrow I’ll have them start the inspection with this plate first. Then move to suspension components.

Last edited by Vishesh : 1st August 2021 at 12:36.
Old 1st August 2021, 16:10   #52
BHPian

Quote:
I
Indeed. LEDs.

The VW SA sent me a service advisory video about fogging (which I couldn't upload here becus of size).

The LEDs get very hot and have vents to allow for air to enter,exit and keep the assembly cool. Once they are switched off, the humid air inside condenses and fogs up. You can't seal the humid air out. I was told it is expected and won't cause any issues that'd would affect the functioning of the lights including the movement of the lenses. They are fully covered by the warranty.
Old 1st August 2021, 16:25   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Last time when I was at VW ASS, I asked them if there is any response from VW HQ regarding the sunroof groaning noise and that several users are reporting the same in their B8. They said there is a spray lubricant (INR 5000) which the customer must pay for and apply to their sunroof channels and other parts and it should get rid of the noise. They have been given the same instructions for Tiguan and one more VW model with similar complaints. Is it the same lubricant that you’re talking about here Kanboy ?
It was Wurth HHS2000. But it didn't cost me as much as mentioned by vw. Oh and I forgot I did the seat rails too for less stress on the motor.

Last edited by Kanboy : 1st August 2021 at 16:27. Reason: Typing error
Old 2nd August 2021, 23:05   #54
BHPian

Went to VW A.S.S. today, hoping for the best. And it was indeed my lucky day, the problem of rattling noise from the front end seems to be fully solved now, and hopefully permanently.

The problem was diagnosed to caliper pins again, one of the pins on each side (so total two out of four) had noticeable play. All other suspension components, although not fully removed, were loosened and checked and were found to be okay, along with their bushes, boots etc intact. Let me remind you that the full caliper carrier set on each side (caliper pins + pad carriers) were changed just a few months back. So what different did they do this time ?

Oddly, in both the factory fitted caliper set as well as the recently replaced ones, two of the four caliper pins which had play in them were the ones without a rubber sleeve at the end, whereas the ones that didn’t have play had rubber sleeves. So this time the A.S.S. just replaced the two pins, not the whole set, and now all 4 of them had the rubber sleeve and there was no play anywhere. Greased all of them well (VW recommended/branded grease for caliper pins is INR 5K for a tube!), did a thorough road test and the noise had definitely gone.

The whole set replaced earlier was priced at approx INR 22-23K total (only parts) and the two pins replaced today were priced at INR 1800/- total (only parts). Although both jobs were done FOC under warranty.

I also recently changed to softer and better Michelin Primacy 4ST tyres from the rock hard Apollo tyres, as I felt that the OEM tyres were so hard that they might degrade such smaller components like caliper pins faster in the long run. Anyway the big plus is that ride quality and road noise are improved a lot.

Next weekend I’m going to try and clean and lubricate the sunroof assembly, during this week I’ll plan to call Webasto to see if they can service my sunroof professionally. Any of you have any pointers other than Webasto for such a job ?
Old 9th October 2021, 23:33   #55
BHPian

VW seems to have issued a service bulletin to address the sunroof rattle.

It involves opening the whole assembly and inserting some packing between the frames. Takes two days for them to complete the job.

Just got my car back and it feels solid. There's a U shaped downward facing frame/brace cover along the front edge of the sunroof. That would be loose and if pressed would rattle. After the fix, this frame feels bolted solid.

Drove about 20km after delivery and not one sound. Feels brand new.

Everyone should make a beeline for their service centres. Got covered under warranty. They even rotated tyres and cleaned a squeaky rear brake on the house.

I asked for the bulletin copy/number but the advisor was reluctant to share without permission. If he does share it, I'll post it here.
srgntpepper is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 23:29   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Just got my car back and it feels solid. There's a U shaped downward facing frame/brace cover along the front edge of the sunroof
I asked for the bulletin copy/number but the advisor was reluctant to share without permission. If he does share it, I'll post it here.
Can you post a picture of this Ushaped downward facing frame/brace cover ? Also, it would be of great help if you could follow up with your SA for the bulletin copy/number and post that here too. Thanks in advance
Old 24th December 2021, 13:19   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Can you post a picture of this Ushaped downward facing frame/brace cover ? Also, it would be of great help if you could follow up with your SA for the bulletin copy/number and post that here too. Thanks in advance
Just got my car serviced day before and got my hands on a copy of the bulletin. Though the service manager told me he couldn't hand me a copy or let me click a picture of it, so I took pictures while he was busy elsewhere
Though I couldn't get this done as i hadn't issued them a formal complaint(as per them, though I have done on the website and as well in the service centre) about the rattling of the sun roof. So now they have ordered the part and would do it free of cost provided the car is still in warranty, which it still is.
Attached Thumbnails
My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG-20211224_125650.jpg  

My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG-20211224_125742.jpg  

My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG-20211224_125813.jpg  

My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG-20211224_125845.jpg  

My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG-20211224_125923.jpg  

My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG-20211224_130034.jpg  

Kanboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 23:26   #58
BHPian

Hey guys,
I wanted to know if anyone faced a problem with their boot lid not closing automatically from the close button/key fob/inside switch and also now it opens half way until you press the open button again for it to open further. And also the inside close button's light isn't on, though when I reset it after looking at the manual it does respond. I went to the dealership and asked them to fix it, but they couldn't through recoding or doing the basic settings. So am a bit perplexed.
Old 10th March 2022, 13:45   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Fellow Passat owners,

Are you guys also facing rattling noise from your Passat’s front suspension ?
Hi
my passat just crossed 35K (3 years exactly).
I have started getting some karr-karr sounds from the front suspension. This typically happens at low speeds, under partial braking. Like when you are going over a speed bump or taking a slow turn as you get out of a building exit on to a road. No issues while braking on the open road.

General update on the cart. Did the 3 yr/45K servicing.

The front sun visor had fallen off about one year into the ownership. The ASS had fixed it. Felt it was getting a bit loose again. This time the ASS looked and said a clip is broken inside and that VW declined to cover under warranty: broken parts are not covered. I protested a bit. Later though, ASS said they scrounged some spares lying around and fixed it on their own. Didn't charge for parts or labour. feels more solid than the visor on the left side. Go figure.

Getting a thump thump sound from one wheel. happens only at certain speeds (30-60) when i take foot off the accelerator and let the car coast. Did balancing and alignment but sound still persists. Right now running on the spare tyre. Not sure how to diagnose or fix it.

Reasonably happy with the default Apollos. They seem to have another 5-10 K in them easily. And I run 36 psi (when cold), lower end of the suggested range.

Overall all is mostly well.
srgntpepper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 16:38   #60
BHPian

Quote:
It involves opening the whole assembly and inserting some packing between the frames. Takes two days for them to complete the job.
Were they able to remove and reinstall the roof liner properly ? For now the only thing that's stopping me from getting my sunroof done as per this bulletin is that I don't trust the VW A.S.S to be able to reattach the roof liner exactly as it was, and I don't want to end up with a shoddy interior.

Quote:
Just got my car serviced day before and got my hands on a copy of the bulletin. Though the service manager told me he couldn't hand me a copy or let me click a picture of it, so I took pictures while he was busy elsewhere
Though I couldn't get this done as i hadn't issued them a formal complaint(as per them, though I have done on the website and as well in the service centre) about the rattling of the sun roof. So now they have ordered the part and would do it free of cost provided the car is still in warranty, which it still is.
So Kanboy, did you finally get it done ? Also, when they say warranty, did you ask them if it includes extended warranty as well ? Mine is a 5Yr extended warranty and the standard warranty has lapsed already.

Quote:
Hey guys,
I wanted to know if anyone faced a problem with their boot lid not closing automatically from the close button/key fob/inside switch and also now it opens half way until you press the open button again for it to open further. And also the inside close button's light isn't on, though when I reset it after looking at the manual it does respond. I went to the dealership and asked them to fix it, but they couldn't through recoding or doing the basic settings. So am a bit perplexed.
I have noticed that sometimes the boot doesn't open fully when I use the remote to open it, it works fine if i press the VW logo to open. I believe the remote boot open key needs to pressed continuously till the boot opens fully, if you release the button early it tends to stop at half open.

Also, have any of you replaced your front/rear brake pads yet ? I changed the rear pads once, got a set of Brembo pads, they seem to be performing same as OEM. Anyone tried Brembo/EBC and have a source for the same ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks