Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2022, 19:09   #91
BHPian

Re: My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
This is a known issue on almost all German cars. Happens at some point or the other.

Push for replacement under warranty as much as you can. Quite surprised to see it happen so early.

Best of luck

Thanks!
Yes. I have a 2010 laura, and i had to change it only 2-3 yrs back.
I have told the ASS that this is a known issue, and 3 yrs is too short.
And that they need to replace under warranty.

They initially declined, but then after my pushing, have asked me to wait till monday. Fingers Crossed.
srgntpepper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 02:52   #92
BHPian

Re: My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgntpepper View Post
All My roof liner fabric has started peeling off.
HAve sent to ASS for fixing under warranty.
They said they will need approval. Will find out on Monday
Anyone else having this problem?
It seems to have happened all of a sudden, that too in four different spots.
Oh damn.. that's sad. As mentioned earlier a common problem in the germans. My Jetta too had this issue after 8 years, though you can get it fixed from outside which i did for 5k incase the company doesn't honour the warranty.

On a separàte note I recently found out that VW extended warranty is covered by Bajaj Alliance.

Plastic parts and some other parts are not covered under it, as the plastic inside handle of my Passat broke from the edge without any reason and the claim was rejected by VW/Bajaj Alliance. Please do update us.

Also wanting to know if anyone has gotten their DSG oil and filter changed till now and if yes @ what kms

Last edited by Kanboy : 19th June 2022 at 02:56.
Kanboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 10:32   #93
BHPian

Got my Passat serviced this week at 44K kms, last service was done at 30K kms so could drive around for 1K kms more before oil change but it had been 1.5years and the service reminder chime every time I used to start the car was getting annoying. Plus the rear brake pads needed replacement soon, and the parts in stock with the workshop at that time meant I could save multiple trips for servicing and then brake pad replacement. It’s my second replacement, last was Brembo but this time wanted to stick to OEM as I felt braking was a tad better on OEM parts and for the sake of remaining one year’s warranty. Price difference although is huge. Like the last time front pads were replaced, the rear one too had 5K kms easily left in them, but for some reason the discs were showing random marks and lines every other day and braking was in general not upto the mark, plus the rear brakes used to make a loud grinding noise sometimes when reversing and braking, so yes I thought it’s better to change. All these minor issues have been resolved post replacement.

Another reason why I wanted to visit VW service was that my front suspension has been making strange noises on broken roads (AGAIN!!). But the service station was pretty packed that day and they did was lubricate the jumping rod bushes which didn’t really solve the problem and after the 5hours it took for servicing, brake replacement and washing etc, I was in no mood to stay there anymore. The thing is, they did acknowledge the noise, and so they did inspect all parts but couldn’t find anything wrong. In fact I had the same inspection done at my local FNG and he dismantled and checked everything except the struts and their mounts. Surprisingly, the callipers are noisy and loose again, 2 out of the 4 recently changed and regularly lubricated pins have developed play and are make noise. And this is when the whole brake carrier assembly was replaced around 1-1.5years back and 2 out of 4 pins changed to rubber boot type (to prevent rattling). I don’t goto broken roads often and I slow down to zero for every patch of broken road, so this is unacceptable now.

Is anyone else experiencing noisy front end over even mildly broken roads in their Passat and what’s the reason+solution according to you ?

One more thing, they didn’t change the brake oil and coolant even once till now, what’s the suggested change interval of these lubes for Passat ? For DSG oil I asked, they had no idea.
Old 27th June 2022, 11:48   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanboy View Post
company doesn't honour the warranty.
Guess my luck with VAG service continues. They declined first and returned the car. Then changed their mind and agreed to cover it; it's gone to the service centre today.
Old 27th June 2022, 23:05   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Guess my luck with VAG service continues. They declined first and returned the car. Then changed their mind and agreed to cover it; it's gone to the service centre today.
Congratulations!!!! I am glad atleast the roof liner is covered under warranty, if not the plastic parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishesh View Post
Got my Passat serviced this week at 44K kms, last service was done at 30K kms so could drive around for 1K kms more before oil change but it had been 1.5years and the service reminder chime every time I used to start the car was getting annoying........... All these minor issues have been resolved post replacement.
So that means we stick to the OEM Brake Pads and not go for aftermarket ones. I have realised why the rear pads are wearing out more than the front ones and it has nothing to do with using Electronic Parking Brake (EPB)
1. Due to Brake Assist (BA) AND Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD). To enhance the ride comfort and quality during braking, the BA and EBD engage the rear brakes to reduce the G Force and keep you planted in your seat comfortably.
2. Rear pad lining is way too thin for the work it is doing, hence the requirement for change after every 14k kms i.e half of front pads I guess.

Quote:
Is anyone else experiencing noisy front end over even mildly broken roads in their Passat and what’s the reason+solution according to you ?
One more thing, they didn’t change the brake oil and coolant even once till now, what’s the suggested change interval of these lubes for Passat ? For DSG oil I asked, they had no idea.
I have been going on bad roads quite often as Google Map thinks I have a SUV , but never heard any weird noises to alert me about the suspension, my only recent major issue is the creaking sun roof which has a Recall.

From my experience with the Jetta, VW doesn't know the concept of any fluid flush or replacement besides the Engine Oil, as the ASS here too didn't know when to change it in a manual transmission and even went on to claim it doesn't need one in the entire life cycle. Though they were wrong.

So as far as research goes recommended change for DSG oil for DQ 250 by ZF is around 60000km in Europe. Here in india should do it at 50000km. Engine Coolant at 100000km in india or when you feel it is getting lighter from dark pink to light pinkish.

Brake oil I get the caliper reservoir (Not the main Reservoir under the bonnet) flushed entirely everytime I change my brake pads, rather than sending the oil back to the brake booster and reusing it as traditionally done. This leads to top up with newer oil every cycle negating the need for replacement. So never researched it.
Old 27th June 2022, 23:49   #96
BHPian

Quote:

To enhance the ride comfort and quality during braking, the BA and EBD engage the rear brakes to reduce the G Force and keep you planted in your seat comfortably.
Rear pad lining is way too thin for the work it is doing, hence the requirement for change after every 14k kms i.e half of front pads I guess.

I have been going on bad roads quite often as Google Map thinks I have a SUV , but never heard any weird noises to alert me about the suspension, my only recent major issue is the creaking sun roof which has a Recall.
You could be right about the rear brakes. Because there is no other logical reason.

Regarding suspension noise, how much has your car run in total ? I saw the other Passat B8 thread of TBHP where a BHPian bought a used B8 run about 60K kms and his front struts were found kaput. I’m now beginning to wonder if my struts or their associates (mounts, bearings etc) are on their way out too !
Old 28th June 2022, 00:13   #97
BHPian

Quote:
All
My roof liner fabric has started peeling off.
It seems to have happened all of a sudden, that too in four different spots.
It really might be related to the fact that your roof liner was removed and refitted when they got rid of your sunroof creaking sound. What do you think ? In case that’s so, I would happily live with a creaking sunroof rather than a randomly peeling rooflining
Old 28th June 2022, 08:24   #98
BHPian

I cited the the sunroof repair as possible reason for the peeling off. They didn't accept it officially, but maybe that is why they decided to cover it

However the creaky sound my sunroof made was very annoying. Made the car feel like a 'khatara'. So the trade off was worth it for me, considering the peeling off is goona happen one day, and a relatively inexpensive fix, warranty or not.
Old 28th June 2022, 09:33   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding suspension noise, how much has your car run in total ? I saw the other Passat B8 thread of TBHP where a BHPian bought a used B8 run about 60K kms and his front struts were found kaput. I’m now beginning to wonder if my struts or their associates (mounts, bearings etc) are on their way out too !
Mine has only been driven 20k kms.
Yup I have read that thread too, but think the previous owner had driven the car harshly due to which the front struts gave up. I came across a B8 that was driven 100k kms in Noida with no problems what so ever. So that gave me some confidence that things are not all that bad in the car.

Quote:
It really might be related to the fact that your roof liner was removed and refitted when they got rid of your sunroof creaking sound.
Now this makes me quite unsure if I should get the Sunroof fixed or not. I really dont feel like getting my roof lining changed/fixed so early
Old 25th July 2022, 23:13   #100
BHPian

46K kms and exactly 3years 9months old, my Passat refused to crank up today, insisting on a new (third) battery. The one that came with the car lasted 1.5years, the second one was changed FOC under warranty which is for 2years, this time I just crossed the 2year mark by a week or so. VW gives imported Exide battery costing 8K and Indian Exide with 30+25 warranty costs 7K or 5.5K under exchange. Instead of 61ah, the Indian Exide is 60ah, with the option of 66ah for the same price and warranty (provided it fits).

The random suspension noises, (sometimes clunks and sometimes sounds like some rubber parts gone bad) are annoying me a lot now, since all parts except the struts and struts mounts have been physically taken apart and inspected, I plan to get those two checked finally. If they need replacement, I’m looking at upwards of 35K in part costs alone, or months long warranty claim fights, as my extended warranty is good for 15-16months still. Well atleast the creaking and groaning sunroof keeps the other passengers entertained !

Last edited by Vishesh : 25th July 2022 at 23:23.
Old 5th August 2022, 23:08   #101
BHPian

Quote:
46K kms and exactly 3years 9months old, my Passat refused to crank up today, insisting on a new (third) battery. ....Instead of 61ah, the Indian Exide is 60ah, with the option of 66ah for the same price and warranty (provided it fits).
Buddy I think that's because you are using the wrong AH capacity. I haven't opened the covers of mine yet, as it's so far working alright touch wood, but as per research a VW passat B8 2.0 Tdi dsg needs a 70 to 74AH Battery. I may be wrong, but in all international and even Exide India and Amaron India suggest a 72 and 74 ah battery respectively. The 60ah Battery was for the b6 vw passat. So i guess with a 60ah battery you are over burdening it and the reason for an early failure/change.

Last edited by Kanboy : 5th August 2022 at 23:10.
Old 5th August 2022, 23:33   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Buddy I think that's because you are using the wrong AH capacity. I haven't opened the covers of mine yet, as it's so far working alright touch wood, but as per research a VW passat B8 2.0 Tdi dsg needs a 70 to 74AH Battery. I may be wrong, but in all international and even Exide India and Amaron India suggest a 72 and 74 ah battery respectively. The 60ah Battery was for the b6 vw passat. So i guess with a 60ah battery you are over burdening it and the reason for an early failure/change.
Haha, no Karan. I’m surprised it’s you who said that; I’ve attached the picture of ‘your’ battery which you sent me in 2020 when I wanted to check what other Passats are coming fitted with.

Our Passat comes with an Exide 61ah 330a battery from the factory, in 2020 May I replaced it with the exact same one from the ASC under warranty. But you’re right, 61ah for this car is kind of low, but unfortunately the space for the battery under the hood would only accommodate max 66ah, which is the one I got from the neighbourhood exide dealer. Costed less (8K vs 7K), more Ah and more CCA and more warranty (30+25).

My Passat has been getting its ‘third’ helping of parts it seems. First it was the battery, now it’s the windshield which was replaced once in 2019 and now again in 2022.
Attached Thumbnails
My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG-b7373f54c5e84b6a971b129e2e12444c.jpeg  

Last edited by Vishesh : 5th August 2022 at 23:37.
Old 6th August 2022, 10:33   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Haha, no Karan. I’m surprised it’s you who said that; .... 2020 when I wanted to check what other Passats are coming fitted with.
Lol My sincere apologese, checked again this morning and its a 61AH battery.
Then why are all International and Indian websites recommending 70 to 74AH. Our cars are 100% Euro Spec as they are CKDs and part of VW standardization. Chalo lets hope you find your current leakage then.
Btw you can attach a bigger battery there, as the battery tray has 2 bracket holes for different size of batteries (pictures attached).

Now even my car has a windscreen Star crack (picture attached) got hit by a rock while driving to delhi. I have bought a Windscreen Repair Kit from RainX and hoping I can fix it myself as the prices for a new windscreen are bonkers, I guess its around 40k including fitment and labour, and the windscreen is not available in any aftermarket outlets. I can get it done under insurance but that would mean loosing my NCB.
Attached Thumbnails
My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG-20220806_101634.jpg  

My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG-20220806_093907.jpg  

Old 6th August 2022, 10:42   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Btw you can attach a bigger battery there, as the battery tray has 2 bracket holes for different size of batteries (pictures attached).
Yes, the 66ah battery is slightly bigger than the OEM battery and the bracket was moved to the second hole in order to fit the bigger battery. You can’t fit any battery bigger than that.

Quote:
Now even my car has a windscreen Star crack (picture attached) got hit by a rock while driving to delhi. I have bought a Windscreen Repair Kit from RainX and hoping I can fix it myself as the prices for a new windscreen are bonkers, I guess its around 40k including fitment and labour, and the windscreen is not available in any aftermarket outlets. I can get it done under insurance but that would mean loosing my NCB.
The new windshield from VW costs ~25K if I remember correctly. Windshield experts quoted approx the same price but they had Fuyao brand (with VW logo) which honestly I didn’t want to risk. Although WE do offer cashless insurance claims too. So yesterday evening I put down a deposit of 10K to secure the ‘last piece’ of Passat B8 windshield lying at Pune (the words of my ASC GM) which would be refunded once the insurance claim comes through.
Old 6th August 2022, 10:55   #105
BHPian

Quote:
The new windshield from VW costs ~25K if I remember correctly. Windshield experts quoted approx the same price but they had Fuyao brand (with VW logo) which honestly I didn’t want to risk.
Lucky you. Now you leave me no choice but to repair my windshield as you have taken the last piece My ASS representative quoted Rs. 35k + Tax 18% + Installation around 5k + Tax for the new windshield.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks