Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2022, 11:06   #106
BHPian

Re: My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post

Will give Michelin a shot if I can source a set. The last time I tried to do that for my old Passat, I was unsuccessful, hence went with Yokohama back then (loved them!).
Hi Fordfreak,

My Passat is inching up on 45K. Plan to change the tyres. Any feedback on the following points?
1. Which Yokos? I have Earth 1 on the Skoda LAura, less than 1K so far, they are quite good.
2. Did you try the Michelins? Primacy 4 vs or 4ST.

thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 19:44   #107
BHPian

Re: My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgntpepper View Post
Hi Fordfreak,

My Passat is inching up on 45K. Plan to change the tyres. Any feedback on the following points?
1. Which Yokos? I have Earth 1 on the Skoda LAura, less than 1K so far, they are quite good.

thanks
Hello srgntpepper!

I haven't gotten around to changing my tyres just yet. My car's usage has been very low over the past few months (just done about 17 K so far).

I used to have Yoko Db Decibal or something like that on my old Passat. I have heard the Earth 1 is also good.

Will be taking quotes for Michelin's once I implement my plans of changing the tyres. I'm pretty sure one can't go wrong with these too, judging by reviews around the forum / internet.
fordfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 12:04   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Fordfreak,
My Passat is inching up on 45K.....
thanks
Hey Sarg
Did you manage to change your tyres?
I too need to change my tyres urgently as my tyres are completely gone @ 27k kms(pictures attached)and spoke to a few tyre shops.

1. 215 55 17 is only available in Primacy 4ST and not in Primacy 4. @Vishesh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishesh View Post
is running these already and could give a long term feedback on them.

2. Now the alternate recommendations I have gotten so far for this car and size is Hankook Ventus, Goodyear Assurance TripleMaxx2, Yoko BlueEarth GT and Bridgestone Turanza T001(These are 91V, so will not consider it. Also they have sidewall issues when used in the Innova Crysta)
Which ones have you gone in for?
Attached Thumbnails
My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG-20220821_110353.jpg  

My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG-20220821_110326.jpg  

Old 21st August 2022, 12:51   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanboy View Post
. @Visheshis running these already and could give a long term feedback on them.
Go with Michelin with your eyes closed. I changed to P4ST in June 2021, and totally satisfied with them. Comfort improves, noise is less, grip is better. Don’t even consider the other brands, if you’re able to get a MY2022 batch of Michelins. Once you start rolling with the Michelins you’ll realise how crappy the Apollos were.

Do yourself a favour and just compare the sidewall hardness of apollos (once they’re off the rim or on a new tyre) and a new P4ST side by side and you’ll realise that Apollos are made of stone and not rubber.

Last edited by Vishesh : 21st August 2022 at 12:54.
Vishesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 16:05   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

1. 215 55 17 is only available in Primacy 4ST and not in Primacy 4. @Visheshis running these already and could give a long term feedback on them.
Primacy 4 & 4ST are the same. Are you getting mixed up with Pilot Sport 4ST? Latter is a sportier softer compound.

For the 'executive' Passat, I'd recommend the Primacy 4ST.

Last edited by itwasntme : 21st August 2022 at 16:06.
Old 21st August 2022, 18:32   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Primacy 4 & 4ST are the same. Are you getting mixed up with Pilot Sport 4ST? Latter is a sportier softer compound .
I think they both (Primacy 4 and Primacy 4ST) are part of the Primacy series, ST being a bit sportier sedans, as per research. Both Primacy 4 and Primacy 4ST are mentioned on the website and sold alongside.
Attached Thumbnails
My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG-screenshot_20220821181437_chrome.jpg  

Old 21st August 2022, 19:27   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think they both (Primacy 4 and Primacy 4ST) are part of the Primacy series, ST being a bit sportier sedans, as per research. Both Primacy 4 and Primacy 4ST are mentioned on the website and sold alongside.
Which website is this? ST is "Silent /Silence Tuned", definitely not sportier. ST is for Asian environments and is the only official one sold in India.
Old 25th August 2022, 09:21   #113
BHPian

Michelin India has primacy 4 and primacy 4st as separate listing.

Any opinions on whether to consider 225/55/17?
Needless to say I haven't swapped the tyres yet.
Old 25th August 2022, 14:19   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Michelin India has primacy 4 and primacy 4st as separate listing.
Any opinions on whether to consider 225/55/17?
I relooked at the Michelin website and noted that there are only 5 sizes (theoretically available) for the Primacy 4 but 29 sizes for the Primacy 4ST. I'd recommend the latter as Michelin rigorously 'tropicalized' them in Malaysia/Thailand before launching them in 2018 in South/South-east Asia. The Primacy 4 is a pure European spec, and may not suit Indian weather/running conditions.

Upsizing to 225/55 is not a good option unless you desperately seek higher ground clearance (GC). It will increase your GC but may make the Superb roll sideways and feel softer in corners.

A better option is to go 2% lower with the 225/50/17. The handling will probably be better but the ground clearance will be marginally lower. The ideal upsize is 235/50/17, but that is too much rubber unless you are a real corner-carver. I'd say stick to 215/55 but go for Michelin P4ST.

deep_behera tried the sportier Pilot Sport 4 (albeit upsized) and did not like it: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4562327 (Driven: Volkswagen Passat)

Last edited by itwasntme : 25th August 2022 at 14:20.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 17:47   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I

Upsizing to 225/55 is not a good option unless you desperately seek higher ground clearance (GC).
Its not ground clearance I am chasing; I feel the gap between the tyres and the wheel arch is bit too big. This would fill it up a little.

Will stick to the 215/55.

Old 1st September 2022, 13:15   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Fordfreak,

thanks
Hi srgntpepper,

Got my Passat's tyres changed yesterday. Chose to go with the Primacy 4ST (215/55/17).

Barely driven on the new set and am already feeling a massive difference compared to the old Apollos.

The new tyres are much much quieter! The missing road noise is giving me the unnerving feeling that something is missing. Ride quality is noticeably softer, but I will need to experience the new tyres a bit more before coming to a final verdict. Maintaining 35 Psi on cold tyres.

Cheers!
fordfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 23:49   #117
BHPian

Guys, seriously is anyone else facing front suspension noises in their Passat ? In my car Not only do the front caliper pins randomly start making noises but now I’m 100% sure that the strut mounts and/or the struts themselves are shot and making weird clunking noises. This 100% sure is based on the fact that link rods and jumping rod and other components were already checked a few weeks ago and were found to be alright.

And this is all in addition of the groaning and creaking sunroof.

Last edited by Vishesh : 2nd September 2022 at 23:50.
Old 8th September 2022, 23:31   #118
BHPian

Hey guys
27700 kms update. Got New tyres (Michelins MY0322) fitted and took the car for a nice 550km run. Quite satisfied with the tyre characteristics which are exactly the same as @fordfreak and @Vishesh mentioned. Keeping 33psi (Cold Tyres) presently but will bump it to 34psi, just to see how the car reacts. While the tyres were out, checked on the F/R Brake pads, which seemed good for another few thousand kms.

Studied the old tyres which died @27k kms and everyone's consensus was over inflation of tyres, which was heartbreaking considering I kept 35psi in the initial days as per the company recommendation and then 33psi when i just wasn't satisfied with the ride quality, but seems like the damage had been done till then.

I saw the yoko Earth1s, they seemed much softer than the Michelins, but this time around I just wanted a durable tested product, as I am scarred by the lowest mileage achieved by any of my tyres till date.

The Sunroof creaking is perpetually there so won't discuss that, as I keep the music a bit loud to mask that. In silence I have learned to live with it.

After @Vishesh's post here I did try to listen to the suspension noises, which aren't there yet, though OCCASIONALLY there is a sound coming from the front which seems like some component which is loose inside the bumper or one of the fenderliners.

Secondly after a long drive my car's steering makes weird noises for like a few minutes and then it's back to normal again. And ya the service is due, which I'll get done this week.
Attached Thumbnails
My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG-20220903_123758.jpg  

My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG-20220903_131000.jpg  

My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG-20220903_130956.jpg  

Kanboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 13:10   #119
BHPian

Quote:

Studied the old tyres which died @27k kms
Looking at the tyres, I guess they were already at the end of life way before 27k km. I guess the two totally bald tyres are from the front. You have already driven them way past their usable life. But 27k kms is too early for this. Can you share what kind of roads you usually drive on? and what brand were the old tyres?
Also, usually front tyres wear a little more than rear ones, thats what I guess happened here looking at the 2 totally bald ones. Make sure you also get your wheels rotated when having an alignment done every 7-8k km. This ensures even wear on all four tyres.
ishan12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 14:36   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
Looking at the tyres, I guess they were already at the end of life way before 27k km. I guess the two totally bald tyres are from the front. You have already driven them way past their usable life. But 27k kms is too early for this. Can you share what kind of roads you usually drive on? and what brand were the old tyres?
Also, usually front tyres wear a little more than rear ones, thats what I guess happened here looking at the 2 totally bald ones. Make sure you also get your wheels rotated when having an alignment done every 7-8k km. This ensures even wear on all four tyres.
the bald ones came from the back as I had recently rotated them. I rotate, balance and align tyres every 5k kms. But this time around did that after 7k kms after a trip to Shimla. The tyres did have some life in them, but once they were rotated they just got chewed out. Brand Apollo 4G. This car is only for Highway use, so mostly driven on Tarmac and Cemented roads.
Kanboy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks