Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2022, 17:20   #121
BHPian

Re: My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG

Might have committed a blunder. But went with 215/60/17 primacy. but got tempted by michelins at a sweet deal (11.5K each).
The dealer who is a friend of an auto enthusiast friend said don't worry go for it.
Haven't even td'ed them yet. Car is on way. The dealer sent these pics. The new tyres and the old apollos. I think they aged well.

My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG-whatsapp-image-20220909-15.44.44.jpeg

My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG-whatsapp-image-20220909-15.50.39.jpeg

My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG-whatsapp-image-20220909-17.10.58.jpeg
Attached Thumbnails
My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG-whatsapp-image-20220909-15.50.39-1.jpeg  

Last edited by srgntpepper : 9th September 2022 at 17:23. Reason: typos
Old 9th September 2022, 17:32   #122
BHPian

Re: My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgntpepper View Post
Might have committed a blunder. But went with 215/60/17 primacy. but got tempted by michelins at a sweet deal (11.5K each).
The dealer who is a friend of an auto enthusiast friend said don't worry go for it.
I have used the same tires on my corolla and I'm really happy with the choice. I immediately felt the difference and the tires also long laster.
Old 9th September 2022, 18:09   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishesh View Post
And this is all in addition of the groaning and creaking sunroof.
Bite the bullet and get the sunroof fixed please. A quieter cabin is bliss.

Last edited by srgntpepper : 9th September 2022 at 18:11. Reason: Typo
Old 9th September 2022, 23:07   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Might have committed a blunder. But went with 215/60/17 primacy......The new tyres and the old apollos. I think they aged well.
I don't think it would be a blunder just a bit more cushioning...what were the 215 55 17 s costing? If you don't mind me asking, as I got mine for 11800.

Damnnnnnn your tyres look good even after 45kms what year manufacturing were these tyres? As mine were 3817 so September 2017. And is your car a daily driver? Now it's quite concerning how my tyres just lived such a young life
Kanboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 13:17   #125
BHPian

The 215/55/17 were same about 11.5,
225/55/17 were 13.5.

Have been getting this mild bottoming-out type khad-khad sound. Especially when going over slightly uneven roads at slow to moderate speed. It's not I'd say as "supple" as I'd like it. The dealer tried to explain it away saying the old tyres had hardened. Also I felt in comfort mode, the car is too soft, and hardens in sport or normal mode.

So when he suggested taller profile, I thought it was worth the gamble. He offered to swap back if I didn't like it, but that was probably more a joke.

The car has become silent for sure. The khad khad has reduced but not as much as I was hoping for. Might require some pressure adjustment or could be some suspension issues.

Yes, the Apollos have aged uniformly and well. Esp compared to yours. I dropped them off and now don't know the mfg date. Daily driver. 50% highways. Rotation every 6/7k. One puncture. So have never been unhappy with them unlike most other users.

Last edited by srgntpepper : 10th September 2022 at 13:19.
srgntpepper is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 10:16   #126
BHPian

Quote:

Is anyone else experiencing noisy front end over even mildly broken roads in their Passat and what’s the reason+solution according to you ?
I have mentioned eslewhere these noises my car makes, but let me list again.

1. A groaning noise from the front end while coming down a speed breaker even at crawling pace.
2. Khat sound, and squealing for a bit when on the brake, when I first move the car in the morning.

After i changed my tyres, both of these have completely gone away.

Have a third issue that persists.

On uneven roads, or when there's a little 1 inch step on the road, the suspension makes a bottoming kind of taktak sound. Even in comfort mode. Was one of the reasons I thought a higher profile tyre was ok.

I just bought a sparingly used(8000km)polo 1.0 tsi manual and it also seems to glide over the same roads with more suppleness. There is a deeper thud, but not rattling tak tak tak.

It used to slightly bother me before, but now it's become a bit more annoying. The local tyre or fng fellows say it's ok or normal. But I am sure it can be improved. On smooth roads the car just grips and glides.
After watching a few YouTube videos I am wondering if it's a strut bushing or strut issue.
Any suggestions or similar observations?

Last edited by srgntpepper : 9th October 2022 at 10:19.
Old 3rd November 2022, 16:20   #127
BHPian

Quote:
On uneven roads, or when there's a little 1 inch step on the road, the suspension makes a bottoming kind of taktak sound.
Update:

The suspicion was focused on suspension components. a couple of link arms, bushes were changed to no effect. The shocks were suspected next, but seeing the high cost, i sought a second opinion.

The new FNG said it was a steering rack play problem. He opened it up, did some repair ( hasnt disclosed details, I will get him to describe it clearly) and greasing. And it seems to have worked. The taktaktak rattling sound like something is loose is totally gone. Am super happy. cost about 8K
Old 3rd November 2022, 19:37   #128
BANNED

Quote:
Update:

The suspicion was focused on suspension components. a couple of link arms, bushes were changed to no effect. The shocks were suspected next, but seeing the high cost, i sought a second opinion.

The new FNG said it was a steering rack play problem
The same problem I had in my Rapid. The suspension components and mounts were having no issues. Later it was found at Code6 tuning workshop that the steering rack is causing the issue. They told it's because of the bush inside is worn and they usually refurbish the steering rack using a custom made nylon bush. They quoted 7k for the job, but I got the steering rack replaced completely at ASS under warranty. In case if this happens again, I would go with the custom refurbishment.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 22:49   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Update: ..........
The new FNG said it was a steering rack play problem. He opened it up, did some repair ( hasnt disclosed details, I will get him to describe it clearly) and greasing. And it seems to have worked. The taktaktak rattling sound like something is loose is totally gone. Am super happy. cost about 8K
Oh my...didn't think the passat would suffer from the infamous VW steering rack plague, most common in Vento, Rapid, Polo. Whenever I visit the Service Centre, a minimum of 3 to 4 used Steering racks are kept in the Warranty room for returns. Mine has also started to make the khat khat noise from the front left side. I was hoping it was something small like a ball joint, but I guess I'll have to get underneath the car soon to verify things. May I know why you didn't go in for repairs under Warranty, as steering racks are covered.

Michelins Update after 5k: The ride comfort has improved immensely after my change and also the handling. Played with the tyre pressures ranging from 33psi to 38psi* (IN COMFORT MODE) and found 35psi as the Best pressure to keep, as when tyres heat up, they reach 39psi. There has been a reduction in rolling resistance, and have felt it while braking, also the fuel economy has increased. Got a puncture too in the front right tyre, and today they were Balanced, Rotated and Aligned.

30k Service Update: A few days after the tyre change my car flashed the Service Due in the Information Display, after finding a good day, booked an appointment and passat was taken to the Service Centre. All components were changed and I was further informed that due to lapse in years, the transmission oil was due for change too, otherwise recommended kms as per their schedule is 60k kms and they will replace just the Oil and not the Filter.

Though I had intentions to change it on my next service which was @45k kms, but for the sake of Warranty approved the change. The oil that was drained was super clean and had good viscosity still , felt like a waste, but things we do for the sake of Warranty. The new oil was poured via gravity method from underneath the car, it took some time to fill the 6+litres in it.

After changing the fluid the car drove a bit Funky like changing the gears late at High rpms (2500 to 3000 rpm) and a sound of katak on changing gears from 1st till 3rd and there was also a shudder along with it which lasted till the 4th gear on sedate throttle input, these issues were not prevalent before. Then I remembered that the DSG transmission oil has memory, so maybe the transmission must have been reset when the Oil was changed and would be back to normal in like 100kms, which wasn't the case.

Then I drove the car to delhi while changing gears via the paddle shifter in the rpm range I wanted the gear shifts, as you can change the DSG transmission shifting memory to the rpm range that you want, which for me is usually 1600 to 1700 rpm with sedate throttle input in Low gears(2 and 3) and 1400 to 1600rpm on High Gears(4 to 6), and it worked and the car was shifting automatically under 2000rpm, but the sound and shudder remained, which started to annoy me, as the shudder is a sign of a bad clutch.

While I was stuck in Stop and Go traffic I plugged the Gear Leaver into M and started to drive in the 1st Gear. After a while the shuddering stopped, but the khatak noise remained. I put the Lever back into D and started driving normally where the car at 1000rpm shifts into 2nd and after a while the noise too disappeared. May be the system aired out, just a guess. So after good 300kms the car was back to normal.
I have driven the car around 2.5k+ kms since Service no problems mechanically faced minus the khat khat noise from the front left side.
Old 9th November 2022, 14:54   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanboy View Post
May I know why you didn't go in for repairs under Warranty, as steering racks are covered.
Initially suspicion was on suspension. They said not covered. So went to FNG. and even when steering rack was suspect, I didn't think it was covered. So asked FNG to fix. Quite Possible VW would have replaced the whole thing I didn't even know steering rack issue was a VW feature until after the fix.
Old 28th November 2022, 21:48   #131
BHPian

Anyone changed their wipers yet ? What are the best (yet VFM) aftermarket wiper options for the B8 Passat ?

Also just read previous posts about the steering rack noise and possible fix, could you guys please elaborate further about this noise ? It might be possible that I’m facing the same noise which about which I’ve posted before too. But at that time I got everything in the suspension checked in front of me and then decided to live with the noise forever as a design flaw in an otherwise wonderful car, ditto for the sunroof noise..
Old 29th November 2022, 13:38   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Anyone changed their wipers yet ? What are the best (yet VFM) aftermarket wiper options for the B8 Passat ?
Got my wipers changed 2 months ago. Tried sourcing an aftermarket set, but struggled to find any that would fit the stock wiper arms. Ended up sending my car to the dealer as they refused to sell me the parts over the counter. Felt robbed for having to pay 'labour charges' for something as silly as wiper blade fitment.
Old 29th November 2022, 13:41   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
Got my wipers changed 2 months ago. Tried sourcing an aftermarket set, but struggled to find any that would fit the stock wiper arms. Ended up sending my car to the dealer as they refused to sell me the parts over the counter. Felt robbed for having to pay 'labour charges' for something as silly as wiper blade fitment.
I ordered a pair of Bosch Aerotwins from Boodmo as they come with multiple adapters and are the best ones from Bosch. Costed me approx ₹1600 for the set. Let’s see how they turn up.
Vishesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2022, 17:09   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
How much did you pay for the OEM wipers ? The Bosch wipers I ordered from Boodmo don’t fit; waiting for them to be pickup up and refunded. Also, they are suitable for LHD vehicles (due to the aero flap) and not RHD, so now I’m back to square one.
Old 4th December 2022, 08:47   #135
BHPian

Quote:
How much did you pay for the OEM wipers ? The Bosch wipers I ordered from Boodmo don’t fit; waiting for them to be pickup up and refunded. Also, they are suitable for LHD vehicles (due to the aero flap) and not RHD, so now I’m back to square one.
Hey next time try searching aftermarket parts for the Passat via Part No. As thats the only way to find compatible parts for the Passat. These are available on Boodmo for ₹2800. The Picture of the Wiper set with the Part no. & Price attached. Rest negotiate with the SA, they will waive off the labour charges and give a discount on the Part if in stock as its a slow moving part Also do check Valeo India website as I am sure they will be available there too.
Attached Thumbnails
My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG-20221204_082911.jpg  

Last edited by Kanboy : 4th December 2022 at 08:56.
Kanboy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks