Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2019, 11:42   #166
Team-BHP Support

Re: Driven: Volkswagen Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdunkaroos View Post
Heard from the dealers that the production of the Passat has stopped in India. Only stock available at dealers and some at the plant, pause to limit unsold inventory or is it being discontinued?
They probably want to exhaust the kits and then launch the facelifted version
Old 17th March 2019, 17:11   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I had not seen your signature earlier else would not have commented on VW dealer rapport. You must have already built it with your 225/50/16 PS3s so go for the 225/50/17 PS4s.
The calculated decision ended up becoming a war between the heart and mind. Mind wanted to stay with stock size and get the P4ST, heart wanted performance with PS4. Ultimately the heart won. The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 it is!
That probably makes me the first on team-bhp to run the 225/50R17 on the recent Passats. These are Michelin Pilot Sport 4 225/50ZR17 98Y XL Load rated. As these tyres have a slightly reduced profile compared to the stock tyres, I had to experiment a bit with the tyre pressures to get the same ride quality levels as on the stock tyres.
With 38PSI, the ride was bit harsh while the drive was extremely sporty. I then reduced the pressures to 34PSI, and this pressure looks like a fine balance between drive quality and ride quality. With 31-33PSI, I guess the ride quality will improve even further but might reduce the sportiness.

There is literally no rolling resistance with these tyres. To put in context, I got the same free revving feel with the PS4 that I got after remapping my Jetta post the dieselgate Software update. Not sure if this is just mind playing a game as I know that the above two changes are two different changes.

I was worried about the TPMS showing low pressure warnings for the lower pressures that I am running but surprisingly the TPMS have adopted to the new tyres and showing between 36 to 38 PSI, while I know that I have filled in 34 PSI in them. Not sure if this is how the TPMS works. I could not find a way to rest the TPMS.

On a side note, I got quite a good buyback for the stock tyres, considering I have driven 1100kms already on them (around Rs5250/- per tyre). The new tyres cost Rs11450/-.

Last edited by aah78 : 18th March 2019 at 20:53. Reason: Quote fixed.
deep_behera is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 10:50   #168
Senior - BHPian

You do need to store the new tyre pressures for it to work with the new values. Once filled at cold tyre temperature, in the car menu- tyre display, press 'set' to save new pressures. If you've filled 34, that's what it should show and not 36-38. Tyre pressures for different drive modes are different too I believe.
Old 18th March 2019, 11:06   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_behera View Post
The calculated decision ended up becoming a war between the heart and mind. Mind wanted to stay with stock size and get the P4ST, heart wanted performance with PS4. Ultimately the heart won. The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 it is!

The new tyres cost Rs11450/-.
Pictures please!

Also, ridiculously cheap for just-launched 17" tyres. The old PS3 in 16s used to be 12.5k.
Old 18th March 2019, 11:09   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
You do need to store the new tyre pressures for it to work with the new values. Once filled at cold tyre temperature, in the car menu- tyre display, press 'set' to save new pressures. If you've filled 34, that's what it should show and not 36-38. Tyre pressures for different drive modes are different too I believe.
Today morning when I checked the pressures today in the infotainment system, indeed it showed 34 PSI. What you have mentioned is exactly what is mentioned in the Car Owners Manual as well. For some strange reasons, there is no "Set" option/button available in the Vehicle Status Car Menu where the Tyre Pressures are Displayed.

Is it so that VW has omitted this setting in the new Infotainment System? The lowest pressures mentioned are for for Comfort Mode which is 36PSI. The pressures for both Standard and Fully loaded mode are in excess of 40PSI. I think for the Michelin PS4, even 36 PSI pressure is too high. The PS3 on my Jetta always had pressure between 32PSI to 33PSI. There was no TPMS there so no worries.

If there is no alternative to clearing this up, me thinking if I should switch back to Stock Size. I cannot bear to see the pressures marked in "Yellow".
Old 18th March 2019, 15:31   #171
Senior - BHPian

No, it cannot be omitted. Check the manual and see how to reset the TPMS values from the touch screen. Could also be possible from the MFD when you're on the tyre pressure display on the MFD, long press of OK button or sorts. But best check the manual.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 18th March 2019 at 15:35.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 16:08   #172
BHPian

You cannot 'reset' the TMPS any longer (this was possible in the B7 Passat). What Volkswagen seems to have done, is that they did not want the user to go through the hassle of resetting the system every time they refilled the tyres.

Now, the system simply tells you what Psi you need to fill along with the current value. If the pressure falls below the fixed value, you will get a low pressure warning.

But the down-side being the factory values are on the higher side and make the ride bouncy. Filling the tyres with lesser values will only result in the system throwing warnings at you.

What I do - Tyres filled to 35 Psi when cold. They warm up to around 37 - 38 Psi after driving. I don't get any warnings messages till 34 Psi.
fordfreak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 17:21   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
You cannot 'reset' the TMPS any longer (this was possible in the B7 Passat). But the down-side being the factory values are on the higher side and make the ride bouncy. Filling the tyres with lesser values will only result in the system throwing warnings at you.

What I do - Tyres filled to 35 Psi when cold. They warm up to around 37 - 38 Psi after driving. I don't get any warnings messages till 34 Psi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
No, it cannot be omitted. Check the manual and see how to reset the TPMS values from the touch screen. Could also be possible from the MFD when you're on the tyre pressure display on the MFD, long press of OK button or sorts. But best check the manual.
Thanks @fordfreak. With this additional information and based on my experience of running both the tyres so far, I can say that the 215/55R17 provides a lot less bouncier ride with 37PSI than the 225/50R17 with 37PSI. Infact even with 34 PSI, the 225/50R17 seems to be bouncier. And I cannot go below these pressures because of the new VW TPMS implementation.

Now the car looks amazing with the 225/50R17 tyres and drives like a different beast altogether. I can even tolerate the slightly bouncy ride but not the downside of the TPMS light glowing on the dashboard every time the tyre pressure goes below the threshold. Maybe I will switch back to these tyres after the 4 year warranty expires or atleast till someone has figured out a better way to deal with the new TPMS implementation.

For now I am considering switching back to stock size 215/55R17, Michelin Primacy 4 ST perhaps. I will be visiting the tyre dealer later today evening to see the available options.
deep_behera is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 22:42   #174
BHPian

Quote:
For now I am considering switching back to stock size 215/55R17, Michelin Primacy 4 ST perhaps. I will be visiting the tyre dealer later today evening to see the available options.
So I visited the dealer yesterday to look at the available options. I was lucky to find a set of January 2019 manufacture tyres for a great price(Rs13450/-).

Now let me summarize my experience on the below tyres based on the short dates that I have had with each of them:
-Apollo 4G Aspire (215/55/R17 94W Cold Tyre Pressure: 37 PSI, driven 1100KMs)
-Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (225/50/ZR17 98W, Cold Tyre Pressure: 37 PSI, 33 PSI driven around 50 ~ 70KMs)
-Michelin Primacy 4 ST (215/55/R17 94V, Cold Tyre Pressure: 37 PSI, driven around 100KMs so far and will be my new ride)

Overall Ride Quality (Worst to Best): (Comfort & Normal DCC)
-PS4(37 PSI) < PS4(33 PSI) < Apollo 4G < P4ST

The PS4 at 37 PSI were bouncy and crashing at all undulations. The P4ST is in a different league when it comes to ride quality & comfort.

Sporty Drive (Worst to Best on Sports Drive + Sports DCC)
-Apollo 4G < PS4(37 PSI) < P4 ST< PS4(33 PSI)

Road Noise (Worst to Best)
-PS4(33 PSI) < PS4(37 PSI) < Apollo 4G < P4ST

PS4 at 33 PSI although comfortable were the noisiest of the lot, possibly due to more friction from the extra width. P4STs are the most silent among the three.

Looks (Worst to Best)
Apollo 4G < P4ST < PS4

Apollo tyres were narrower or atleast looked narrow. The P4ST looks better than Apollo due to clever tread pattern design. The PS4s were the best and the meatiest of all the three.

Hassle free TPMS (Worst to Best)
PS4(33 PSI) < PS4(37 PSI) < Apollo 4G = P4ST
Undoubtedly Apollo and P4ST are the winners here when it comes to having a hassle free TPMS experience. As @fordfreak mentioned, just maintain around 37PSI cold pressure and forget about it.

Based on this experience I now plan to use the Michelin P4ST for the next 45000 to 50000kms or so.

Please note that these are my experiences based on my preferences. Others may well have a very different experience with the same tyres.

@itwasntme. I do have pictures(mix of high and low quality) and will post sometime soon.

Mods: Please merge the post with my earlier post if required. There was a gap of two days between the simultaneous postings.
deep_behera is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st March 2019, 08:59   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Overall Ride Quality (Worst to Best): (Comfort & Normal DCC)
-PS4(37 PSI) < PS4(33 PSI) < Apollo 4G < P4ST

Sporty Drive (Worst to Best on Sports Drive + Sports DCC)
-Apollo 4G < PS4(37 PSI) < P4 ST< PS4(33 PSI)

Road Noise (Worst to Best)
-PS4(33 PSI) < PS4(37 PSI) < Apollo 4G < P4ST

Looks (Worst to Best)
Apollo 4G < P4ST < PS4

Hassle free TPMS (Worst to Best)
PS4(33 PSI) < PS4(37 PSI) < Apollo 4G = P4ST

@itwasntme. I do have pictures(mix of high and low quality) and will post sometime soon.
Very well summarized and put.

From your on-ground assessment, Michelin IN/TH seems to have ideally tuned the P4ST's 'experience envelope' to be a master of all trades except for outright performance. Anyway, the latter will be the sole criteria for those with sheer speed and grip in mind, but for 80% of users (even those who drive 175+bhp heavy sedans like a Superb/Passat/Octy etc), the P4ST's blend seems ideal.

Now for the pictures!
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2019, 22:50   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Anyway, the latter will be the sole criteria for those with sheer speed and grip in mind, but for 80% of users (even those who drive 175+bhp heavy sedans like a Superb/Passat/Octy etc), the P4ST's blend seems ideal.

Now for the pictures!
Indeed, the performance purist looking for outright performance and traction should go for the PS4s. Those looking for a more allrounder tyre that can be a near master of all should go for the P4ST. However I understand that P4ST is not always easily available, so you might have to check with multiple dealers for availability.

And now for some pictures.

Notice that due to the tyre pattern design on the inside part, the tyre looks a bit narrower when viewed from this angle.
Driven: Volkswagen Passat-apollo-4g-front.jpg

Driven: Volkswagen Passat-apollo-4g-rear.jpg

Car with Apollo Tyres
Driven: Volkswagen Passat-apollo-full-car.jpg

Because of the shorter date with PS4, I have limited pictures of the vehicle on PS4.

The mighty PS4. How meatier they look!!!
Driven: Volkswagen Passat-ps4-front-right-1.jpg

Driven: Volkswagen Passat-ps4-front-right.jpg

Car with PS4 Tyres taken in my office parking.
The picture could not capture the increased gap between the wheel arches when the car is on PS4.
Driven: Volkswagen Passat-ps4-full-car.jpg

This is PS4 vs Apollo. I wish I could have taken similar pictures of P4ST vs Apollo.
Driven: Volkswagen Passat-ps4-vs-apollo.jpg

P4ST front
Driven: Volkswagen Passat-p4st-font-right.jpg

Because of the tyre pattern design with similar inside and outside part, the tyre looks a bit meatier when compared with the Apollo. Also unlike the PS4, the P4STs fill in the wheel arches quite well/
Driven: Volkswagen Passat-p4st-front-left.jpg

Car with P4ST Tyres
Driven: Volkswagen Passat-p4st-full-car-2.jpg

Car with P4ST Tyres
Driven: Volkswagen Passat-p4st-full-car.jpg

P4ST Tyre Label
Driven: Volkswagen Passat-p4st-label.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: Volkswagen Passat-apollo-4g.jpg  

Driven: Volkswagen Passat-ps4-night.jpg  

deep_behera is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 07:44   #177
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just love VW's classiness...even in their promotions. Spotted this ad last night with actual lights on the DRLs!

Driven: Volkswagen Passat-20190403-21.17.29.jpg
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 07:58   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just love VW's classiness...even in their promotions. Spotted this ad last night with actual lights on the DRLs!

Attachment 1865514
Is this the one at Santa Cruz? Seem to recollect seeing it last month on a visit.

GTO, any information on whether the new Passat is coming to India? Wonder how many kits the IN factory has lying around.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 08:59   #179
BHPian

I have booked a black Passat highline through my company. Hope to take delivery of the vehicle in the next couple of weeks. It seems that white and black are the only colours available. There was a single brown car available, but blue, silver and grey are not available at all. I had finalized on the car in February itself. But due to year end, the processing happened in April only.

A question to the knowledgeable folks: this car has so many cameras on board. Can they be used for recording like a dashcam? If yes, it may be preferred over a separate one. I did not find any reference on google search, but then it doesn't hurt to ask!

- Prasad
Old 24th April 2019, 11:09   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnredkar View Post
I have booked a black Passat highline through my company. Hope to take delivery of the vehicle in the next couple of weeks. It seems that white and black are the only colours available. There was a single brown car available, but blue, silver and grey are not available at all. I had finalized on the car in February itself. But due to year end, the processing happened in April only.

A question to the knowledgeable folks: this car has so many cameras on board. Can they be used for recording like a dashcam? If yes, it may be preferred over a separate one. I did not find any reference on google search, but then it doesn't hurt to ask!

- Prasad
Congratulations on your purchase! Waiting to see pictures of the Passat in black.

Surprising to see no other colour options available. Did you ask the dealer to place a fresh order to the factory or did you choose from what they had in stock? Would have been better if it was possible to check with a few other dealers for availability.

I wonder if VW is preparing to introduce the face-lift Passat soon?

About the cameras - No, unfortunately they cannot be used to record like a dash-cam.
fordfreak is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks