Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2019, 00:09   #226
BHPian

Re: Driven: Volkswagen Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslives View Post
Hi,

In my experience with all other cars, the backlight in the instrument panel also comes on when you switch to the parking lights mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Unless we are suffering from the same gremlin, this is a standard silly 'feature' on VAG cars as my Skoda Octavia does exactly the same thing. Can an expert please guide us if we are doing something wrong?
Yet another of those quirky VW features. That's the way it is on my Passat as well. I have tried everything including 3rd Party app "Carista", but still cannot make the instrument panel lights to switch on with Parking lights set to active.

BTW, if you are interested in activating more features on your Passat, try out the Carista app available for both Android & IOS. I use a paid version for IOS which allows several customizations for Doors, Windows, Remotes, Instruments, Displays, Dings, Lights, Heater & AC through a Generic Wifi ELM OBD2 Adapter. You can find further details of the app and supported customizations here.
Note that some features do not work due to hardware limitations/missing hardware in the India spec Passat.

This image shows a snapshot of Light related settings on my Passat from the Carista app.
Driven: Volkswagen Passat-carista-lights-passat.png

PS: I am only an end-user of the app and have no other association with the Carista brand.
deep_behera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 10:14   #227
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I was waiting/hoping for any one of you to start an ownership thread, and learn more about your experiences. A couple of our colleagues indicated WIP but it's not materialised yet?
Old 25th July 2019, 12:14   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Just wanted to check if the back light in the instrument panel, turn on when you put the headlight switch to the parking lights mode.
Quote:
Unless we are suffering from the same gremlin, this is a standard silly 'feature' on VAG cars as my Skoda Octavia does exactly the same thing. Can an expert please guide us if we are doing something wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_behera View Post
Yet another of those quirky VW features. That's the way it is on my Passat as well. I have tried everything including 3rd Party app "Carista", but still cannot make the instrument panel lights to switch on with Parking lights set to active.
I think it is a safety feature. I suppose they don't want people to put the parking lights on and assume that the headlights are on and keep driving. When it's dark and you see that the instrument light isn't illuminated, you are sure to notice it which will then 'force' you into turning the headlights on. Assuming you are dumb enough to not notice that the road ahead is not illuminated by your headlight .

In my Polo GTI which (strangely) does not have the Auto headlight feature, the instrument back light acts like the auto brightness feature on smartphones. (It uses the light sensor which is why it is strange that there is no auto headlight despite the presence of the light sensor). So during day time and bright sunny periods it is illuminated the brightest. As the light starts to fade it's brightness too starts dimming proportionately. And when it is close to darkness the backlight turns completely off. Only after I turn the headlights on does it illuminate again. I do use this indicator to turn on the headlights at dusk etc.. If the instrument cluster is off then it is a good time to turn on the headlights.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 25th July 2019 at 12:15.
Santoshbhat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 12:35   #229
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
It uses the light sensor which is why it is strange that there is no auto headlight despite the presence of the light sensor
You're confusing two light sensors here.

One is built inside the instrument cluster which adjusts the backlight of the cluster. The Jetta, Passat and GTIs are equipped with this sensor in the cluster.

The sensor is located behind a round patch between 5 and 6 on the tacho ring:

Driven: Volkswagen Passat-6th-gear-22.jpg

The other is provided with the RLS (rain light sensor)/RLHS (rain light humidity sensor) which provides the signal to the BCM to turn on the headlights. All highline variants are equipped with the RLS but not Auto lights on the Polo/Vento/Rapid.

Here's how it works (from the cluster on my car in the basement):

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th July 2019 at 22:54. Reason: Adding video.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 15:14   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
You're confusing two light sensors here.

One is built inside the instrument cluster which adjusts the backlight of the cluster. The Jetta, Passat and GTIs are equipped with this sensor in the cluster.

The sensor is located behind a round patch between 5 and 6 on the tacho ring:

The other is provided with the RLS (rain light sensor)/RLHS (rain light humidity sensor) which provides the signal to the BCM to turn on the headlights. All highline variants are equipped with the RLS but not Auto lights on the Polo/Vento/Rapid.
Oh Ok. I thought this sensor which typically feeds info to the auto headlamps also worked for the instrument cluster.

Driven: Volkswagen Passat-img_20190725_141225.jpg

So basically this is a waste in my car since there is neither auto headlamps nor auto wipers!
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 15:47   #231
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Oh Ok. I thought this sensor which typically feeds info to the auto headlamps also worked for the instrument cluster.

Attachment 1898660

So basically this is a waste in my car since there is neither auto headlamps nor auto wipers!
Santosh, I have a feeling you can activate the auto lights by simply swapping the headlight switch. I recall the Laura had one such model which came with the RLS unit on the windshield but a manual headlight switch with a smaller 10-pin connector. By changing the switch to one with the auto selector, the automatic option worked.

Check what is the connector type behind your switch. Easy swap if it is indeed the 10-pin unit:

Driven: Volkswagen Passat-1736017281265721170.jpg
(Image from AliExpress)

At the most you may need to enable the option on VCDS.
Gannu_1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 13:35   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_behera View Post
BTW, if you are interested in activating more features on your Passat, try out the Carista app available for both Android & IOS. I use a paid version for IOS which allows several customizations for Doors, Windows, Remotes, Instruments, Displays, Dings, Lights, Heater & AC through a Generic Wifi ELM OBD2 Adapter. You can find further details of the app and supported customizations
Thanks for this. Any interesting and significant tweaks that you found through this app?

What I was really interested in was to somehow get native navigation (which I'm sure is not possible) and internet. The other thing I was interested to upgrade was the instrument panel to a digital cockpit but it might cause warranty issues later and knowing the workshops, they would be more than happy to negate warranty for any issue if we mess around with the car.
Old 27th July 2019, 18:22   #233
BHPian

Hi all,

I got ceramic coating for my Passat done from Ultimate Detailerz at their C V Raman Nagar detailing centre. Mohsin and his team were extremely helpful in answering all my queries. Here are the results:

Driven: Volkswagen Passat-polish1.jpg

Driven: Volkswagen Passat-polish3.jpg

On another note, see the range displayed after a highway drive of 50km after full tank

Driven: Volkswagen Passat-range2.jpg

Regards,
Prasad
pnredkar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th July 2019, 13:31   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmody View Post
First of all a very big thank you to all who helped me after my post.

A small update on my initial niggles

1. I was able to reach an amicable solution with Volkswagen after the owner of the dealership got involved. The owner seemed a genuine person and was able to reach a conclusion with him in 30-40 mins.
2. Mr. Carson the tech head for Skoda VW himself came down to the workshop and worked on the car which gave me a lot of mental peace. He was a super person to deal with and very straight. Not like the other fools they have in place at VW. I would truly recommend dealing with him over others for any issues related to VW or Skoda.
3. The car has been repaired to satisfaction with the seat ventilation fan being replaced. DSG error never came back so has been resolved without any work required.

So overall am now back to enjoying my purchase and I can truly say this is one of the best all rounder cars you can buy. Quick when required, dynamically very good, comfortable and frugal.
Hey buddy good to know that the issues are resolved at last and you are enjoying the vehicle. Best of Luck and drive safe.

Quote:
Hi,

Just wanted to check if the back light in the instrument panel, turn on when you put the headlight switch to the parking lights mode. It's strange that in my car, when I put it in this mode, all other interior lights turn on except for the instrument panel.

In my experience with all other cars, the back light in the instrument panel also comes on when you switch to the parking lights mode.
Hey I have the same issue in my car and looking for a solution too. Intend to get it checked from the Service Centre when i visit it next time along with resetting my TPMS pressure to 31psi, as I have realised the best tyre pressure to drive the passat is on 33psi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnredkar View Post
Hi all,

I got ceramic coating for my Passat done from Ultimate Detailerz at their C V Raman Nagar detailing centre. Mohsin and his team were extremely helpful in answering all my queries. Here are the results:

Attachment 1899317

Attachment 1899318

On another note, see the range displayed after a highway drive of 50km after full tank

Attachment 1899319

Regards,
Prasad
Hey Prasad Congratulations for getting the Ceremic Coating. The white shines even more with the coating on. Please could you tell me which Coating has been used on the car? I have been studying the Ceremic Coating brands etc and found Armour Brand Ceremic Coating the Best though no one in India is using it. Most used Coating here is 9PH or in some cases Quartz.

Now my main question to thr owners has anyone used the Adapt Feature in the car? I am itching to use it as I feel my gearshifts are taking place a lil on higher RPMs, which should take place at 2500rpm on relaxed driving style. I read about this feature in the User Manual. I haven't been driving the car much as I still prefer my jetta dont know why it feels more stable on higher speeds.
Old 29th July 2019, 08:59   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanboy View Post
Hey Prasad Congratulations for getting the Ceremic Coating. The white shines even more with the coating on. Please could you tell me which Coating has been used on the car? I have been studying the Ceremic Coating brands etc and found Armour Brand Ceremic Coating the Best though no one in India is using it. Most used Coating here is 9PH or in some cases Quartz.
I have got it coated with Car Pro's Cquartz Finest Reserve (details here). It is not available off the shelf, but has to be applied only by certified detailers. I got it done from Mohsin (a team-bhp member) of Ultimate Detailerz. They have a team bhp thread on them that now runs into 16 pages with all positive reviews. You can check it out.
pnredkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 19:25   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for this. Any interesting and significant tweaks that you found through this app?

What I was really interested in was to somehow get native navigation (which I'm sure is not possible) and internet. The other thing I was interested to upgrade was the instrument panel to a digital cockpit but it might cause warranty issues later and knowing the workshops, they would be more than happy to negate warranty for any issue if we mess around with the car.

The features that I have activated are the cosmetic ones such as Needle Salute, Lane change flash count, Emergency Braking Hazard lights Flash, Infotainment/Cluster Start screen logos, Scandinavian DRL (DRL activates Tail lamps), Coming home lights duration, etc.

I do not see any buttons marked 'NAV' or 'TRAFFIC'. So most likely native navigation is not supported by the stock HU.

I too have the itch as well to upgrade the Instrumental Panel to Digital Cockpit but staying away from such upgrades for now so as the car is way too much electronics and I do not want to risk void the 4 Years warranty!!!
Old 31st July 2019, 21:26   #237
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Just wanted to check if the back light in the instrument panel, turn on when you put the headlight switch to the parking lights mode. It's strange that in my car, when I put it in this mode, all other interior lights turn on except for the instrument panel.

In my experience with all other cars, the back light in the instrument panel also comes on when you switch to the parking lights mode.
The closest I do in my Octy is pull out the switch in parking mode to turn on fog lamps. Then the instrument panel gets illuminated. Not sure if the same works in Passat.
sud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 21:36   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post
The closest I do in my Octy is pull out the switch in parking mode to turn on fog lamps. Then the instrument panel gets illuminated. Not sure if the same works in Passat.
Good one! This works, yes except that of course the fogs are on

On a sad note, noted that the Superb doesn't fit in my office parking slot. It's too wide and long for the one-on-one lift sections. If the Superb doesn't the Passat won't either.

Now I know what I gotta do!

Last edited by itwasntme : 31st July 2019 at 21:43.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 23:43   #239
BHPian

Another annoying omission is that the steering mounted stereo controls don't work if the car is turned off. Only when you hit the ignition on, they come alive..
Old 6th August 2019, 09:32   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Good one! This works, yes except that of course the fogs are on

On a sad note, noted that the Superb doesn't fit in my office parking slot. It's too wide and long for the one-on-one lift sections. If the Superb doesn't the Passat won't either.

Now I know what I gotta do!
Buy the Tiguan soft roader - shares the MQB platform and engine but with a 7 speed DSG, AWD, etc., just got to live with those leatherette seats!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks