Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2022, 11:08   #76
BHPian

Re: My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanboy View Post
That khutt sound if coming from the rear is the rear brake pads sticking to the disc. It will go away, but will re-occurre every morning if you use EPB.
Yeah Kanboy is right. The only and easy solution is to keep the EPB disengaged when you wash the wheels or take the car for a short spin with some brake applications after you wash it before parking it back with the EPB on. This will solve the khatt noise problem 100%. For the groaning noise while reversing, I have too started facing this issue since last month, I guess it’s something that need not be attended to, cleaning the brakes and regular running of the car is all that’s required to keep the friction surfaces clean, let the noise be if it isn’t too loud.
Old 24th March 2022, 11:10   #77
BHPian

Re: My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG

Quote:
Sorry buddy couldn't find the bill in the car, so have asked the Service Advisor to send me a copy and once I recieve it will forward it here. Skoda Superb and Passat share the same brakes, so you can find them on boodmo too, but they wont be Brembo or EBC. Further you are in luck i found the only authorised retailer for Brembo in india located down south. I am sending you his number and he has only the Front ones in stock as I just spoke to him. 9822126156, 9834754917. By the way Viraj Noida usually has Passat B8 parts in stock as they service quite a few Passats
Will make note of these numbers for next time. I’m already sitting at VW ASS while new pads are being fitted. Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 14:14   #78
BHPian

Front Brake Pads changed. Total expense Rs 7150.00 after 20% discount on labour. The old pads had around 5K kms more life in them, but wanted to change them since parts were in ready stock, and I wanted to take zero risk of damaging my discs. By the way, front pads come with new wear indicator sensors, something I think doesn’t come with Brembo/EBC/others aftermarket brands. Prices of Brembo/EBC were roughly the same too, with shipping. Rear Pads have close to 10k kms life left in them too. Will most probably prefer OEM parts for that too.
Attached Thumbnails
My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG-477114657cfb4829aa302a22f55f0a89.jpeg  

Last edited by Vishesh : 24th March 2022 at 14:16.
Vishesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 14:17   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishesh View Post
Why did you have to change the discs at just 15000kms ? Did you change both the rear and front discs and pads ?

Since you’ve used Yokohama already, try Michelin this time and you will find them equal or even better in all respects. Stick to OEM size and for comfort choose P4ST.
Our new washer man had been incorrectly washing the wheels by throwing water all over them (wetting the discs as well in the process). This led to the discs rusting as my car would be stationary for a good 1 - 2 hours after washing. This was unfortunately seen on all my other cars too. Remedied this by educating him on the correct way to clean the wheels.

Only changed the rear pads + discs. Though after looking at the old discs, I do get the feeling the SA pulled a fast one on me. The old discs could possibly have been machined to extend their life.

Will give Michelin a shot if I can source a set. The last time I tried to do that for my old Passat, I was unsuccessful, hence went with Yokohama back then (loved them!).

Quote:
Can you check and tell me how much paid for part and labour separately ? I’m going to VW ASS tomorrow and they’ve quoted me 5400-5800 for the pads and 1200-1500+GST for labour.
Parts + Labour = Rs. 5,200 + Rs. 1,000 (approx. including taxes). This was only for the rear brake pads. Discs cost about Rs. 4,800 a piece including taxes.

Quote:
You should have gotten the discs refaced/lehti/machined. They would have been as good as new. Faced similar issues with my jetta plenty times and had to keep machining them because there is no tell to the pads life. Changed the discs @ 18000kms.
I had asked the SA for the option of having the discs machined but was told that would reduce the thickness beyond their tolerances (he could have very well pulled a fast one on me?). I got the old discs back and they looked decent to me, but then again, I'm no expert.

Quote:
I haven't tried the yokohamas till date as feedback from most friends was never positive. Many faced issues, but who ever they worked for they really did miracles. But I will suggest you the same thing as Vishesh, give Michelins PS series a try, comfort you will get yes, but the performance on high speeds is just beautiful and it lasts till 80% treadwear, unlike the Bridgestones which start loosing grip and comfort after 60% treadwear may it be the turanza or the potenza.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srgntpepper View Post
70% of my running has been on highways (in comfort mode and 36 psi cold pressure), and my Apollos are holding up ok. No cracks. Maybe only after i swap I'll know the difference.
I was very happy with the Yokohamas on my old Passat and am very happy with them on my Altis as well. I had tried looking for Michelins back then, but couldn't source a set locally.

90% of my usage is in stop-start city traffic. My car sees the highway about once in a month / 2 months for a 620 KM round trip. I am looking for low speed comfort + durability too since the road conditions in Kolkata are an absolute joke!

Planning to give Michelin a try based on the above feedback. Will post an update when that happens.

Attaching an image of the cracked tyres. Similar on all 4.

My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG-201965f1194f43d28fa15d5d5495ec3f.jpg
Old 24th March 2022, 15:34   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Front Brake Pads changed. Total expense Rs 7150.00 after 20% discount on labour. The old pads had around 5K kms more life in them, but wanted to change them since parts were in ready stock, and I wanted to take zero risk of damaging my discs. By the way, front pads come with new wear indicator sensors, something I think doesn’t come with Brembo/EBC/others aftermarket brands. Prices of Brembo/EBC were roughly the same too, with shipping. Rear Pads have close to 10k kms life left in them too. Will most probably prefer OEM parts for that too.
Congratulations on the change, I would have squeezed out another 4k kms out of them before I would change them but its always better to be safe than sorry. All front aftermarket brake pads come with the inbuilt sensor may it be brembo or ebc or any indian aftermarket. I used to use an aftermarket Indian brand for the jetta and that too came with sensors, which worked perfectly. After the prices you have quoted to be for the aftermarket I will surely get the aftermarket ones for the rear, front too if there would be a price differential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
I had asked the SA for the option of having the discs machined but was told that would reduce the thickness beyond their tolerances (he could have very well pulled a fast one on me?). I got the old discs back and they looked decent to me, but then
Check the discs from the top where the ventilators are, there is a wear indicator cut, which shows the tolerance left on the discs, attaching a picture for convenience. The machining experts know how much tolerance is left and if it is good for machining or not. The good part is you still have the old discs, so no harm done. Get them machined and keep them, incase you need to change you have spare lying with you.
Attached Thumbnails
My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG-screenshot_20220324152201_chrome.jpg  

Kanboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 16:01   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Check the discs from the top where the ventilators are, there is a wear indicator cut, which shows the tolerance left on the discs, attaching a picture for convenience. The machining experts know how much tolerance is left and if it is good for machining or not. The good part is you still have the old discs, so no harm done. Get them machined and keep them, incase you need to change you have spare lying with you.
Thank you! This is very helpful. Unfortunately, I no longer have the old discs with me. I guess we live and learn. But this will definitely help for the future!
Old 24th March 2022, 16:03   #82
BHPian

Quote:
After the prices you have quoted to be for the aftermarket I will surely get the aftermarket ones for the rear, front too if there would be a price differential.
Yes while the Rear Pads were significantly cheaper, the prices quoted (with no confirmation of delivery) by most vendors of Brembo/EBC for the Front Pads was almost same as OEM pads price. I would have probably saved 1000/- on labour though, by going to my FNG for fitment.

Quote:
Check the discs from the top where the ventilators are, there is a wear indicator cut, which shows the tolerance left on the discs, attaching a picture for convenience.
I DID NOT KNOW THAT ! Always thought that the overall width of the discs left are to be measured, which frankly seemed an inaccurate method to me. Glad to have learn something new today.
Old 24th March 2022, 16:27   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
Thank you! This is very helpful. Unfortunately, I no longer have the old discs with me. I guess we live and learn. But this will definitely help for the future!
Thats true we live and learn.

Quote:
I DID NOT KNOW THAT ! Always thought that the overall width of the discs left are to be measured, which frankly seemed an inaccurate method to me. Glad to have learn something new today.
Lol i guess the Jetta got me quite prepared to own a Passat. That car really made me learn, when things went wrong with it.
Old 15th April 2022, 23:39   #84
BHPian

Hey guys !
I’ve been thinking of changing the halogen fog lamps to LED, due to the self levelling and anti dazzling (oncoming traffic) beam of the Passat Headlamps, even in high beam I sometimes find the illumination inadequate. Has anybody done this mod yet ? If so, any idea if this car requires a canbus type LED bulb or can regular LEDs from Philips etc (without canbus) that are available in the market be used as simple plug n play ?
Old 18th April 2022, 00:00   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys !
I’ve been thinking of changing the halogen fog lamps to LED, due to the self levelling and anti dazzling (oncoming traffic) beam of the Passat Headlamps, even in high beam I sometimes find the illumination inadequate. Has anybody done this mod yet ? If so, any idea if this car requires a canbus type LED bulb or can regular LEDs from Philips etc (without canbus) that are available in the market be used as simple plug n play ?
I would suggest the Ones with the Canbus. But I dont think that would be of much use when it comes to front illumination as Passat's fog lamps tend to throw more light towards the sides. I would suggest re-alignment of the headbeams.
Old 18th April 2022, 00:07   #86
BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest the Ones with the Canbus. But I dont think that would be of much use when it comes to front illumination as Passat's fog lamps tend to throw more light towards the sides. I would suggest re-alignment of the headbeams.
I got the Philips LEDs installed yesterday. Simple plug and play, No CANBUS specific LED needed.

You’re right and I realised this too as soon as I looked closely at the reflectors, the frontal throw is not even 30% of total, nevertheless it’s a tad bit better than OEM halogens in illumination along with matching the colour of the headlamps. ₹3.5K is okay for this.

Regarding headlamp realignment, have you got it done and did it make any difference ? I feel I need to lower the beams slightly, both high and low, and maybe converge them a little.. ?

One more thing, last two summers went in lockdowns, so this year I’m feeling the need (and itch) to get a 3M CR70 sun film (₹9K) for the windshield, for two reasons. Reason 1 of course to cut out the heat (in days of peak summers, sunlight shines directly onto the screen, causing it to become extremely hot, I’ve had to set brightness to low-extra low to prevent it from almost melting in the heat. No such issues in winters/cloudy days at any brightness) and reason 2 is that I am hoping that glare from idiot high beamers will be somewhat reduced too. What’s your opinion on this guys ?

Last edited by Vishesh : 18th April 2022 at 00:13.
Old 18th April 2022, 00:18   #87
BHPian

Quote:
I got the Philips LEDs installed yesterday. Simple plug and play, No CANBUS specific LED needed.

You’re right and I realised this too as soon as I looked closely at the reflectors, the frontal throw is not even 30% of total, nevertheless it’s a tad bit better than OEM halogens in illumination along with matching the colour of the headlamps. ₹3.5K is okay for this.
Then I think I'll look into them too. I am more inclined towards the GPNE Leds, they are mighty bright.

Quote:
Regarding headlamp realignment, have you got it done and did it make any difference ? I feel I need to lower the beams slightly, both high and low, and maybe converge them a little..
Yes sir, I have raised them a little. You can lower them too, with an allen key as the UP/Down and Left/Right adjusters are right behind the light.
Old 7th May 2022, 10:09   #88
BHPian

Has anybody found quality and properly fitting sunshades for the Passat’s front windows ?
Old 18th June 2022, 17:52   #89
BHPian

All

My roof liner fabric has started peeling off.
HAve sent to ASS for fixing under warranty.
They said they will need approval. Will find out on Monday
My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG-whatsapp-image-20220616-11.21.40-am-1.jpeg

My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG-whatsapp-image-20220616-11.21.40-am-2.jpeg

My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG-whatsapp-image-20220616-11.21.40-am-3.jpeg

My search for an automatic car ends with the Volkswagen Passat Highline 2.0 TDI DSG-whatsapp-image-20220616-11.21.40-am.jpeg

Anyone else having this problem?
It seems to have happened all of a sudden, that too in four different spots.
Old 18th June 2022, 18:58   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgntpepper View Post
All

My roof liner fabric has started peeling off.
HAve sent to ASS for fixing under warranty.
They said they will need approval. Will find out on Monday

Anyone else having this problem?
It seems to have happened all of a sudden, that too in four different spots.
This is a known issue on almost all German cars. Happens at some point or the other. On my Jetta, it happened around the 6th year mark. My car was out of warranty and I was quoted 55K for replacing the entire headliner including the backing material.

I got it done for 15K (which is also high in hindsight. Ideal price is around 7-8K tops). Only replaced the cloth. The backing material was reused after cleaning.

Push for replacement under warranty as much as you can. Quite surprised to see it happen so early. If done under warranty, the entire headliner with the backing material will be replaced. If not, you will have to resort to doing what I did and find someone aftermarket to replace the cloth for you.

Best of luck
vishy76 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks