Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2007, 03:04   #1
BHPian

Swift Diesel Initial views/Test drive

Got an opportunity to try out the spanking new Swift Diesel at Vitesse in Bombay today. Car had just reached the dealer and had done 61 kms when I tried it out.

Drove it for a few minutes because it had a temp registration and the dealer didn't want it on the roads.

Initial impressions: The 1.3 engine is FANTASTIC. It's super quiet with no vibration; heck it seemed quieter than my Swift ZXi! Car seemed quite responsive with excellent pickup. It is also supposed to return a mileage of 18 kmpl in the city. If I didn't know beforehand that it was a diesel car, I would have bet my life it was running on petrol! The dealership chaps were dead certain it would be surefire winner.

On road pricing in Bombay is not yet out, but with 2 models out there with the new Diesel powerplant, the lower end model should sell for around 5.5 lakhs with the top end one selling for between 5.9 to 6.3 (ABS is an option in the top end one). [Prices are my guesses based on ex-Delhi prices announced yesterday--dealer won't reveal anything now).

Sadly, airbags and climate control isn't an option in both models (that's where Maruti has cut costs in order to ensure that the pricey Diesel remains competitive).

According to the dealer, deliveries should start in March for bookings made now.

IMHO, the car should do very well, with the pricing and the excellent engine. Looks like one more winner for Maruti!

-Ivor

Swift ZXi / Silky Silver / 7500 kms
ivor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2007, 08:45   #2
BHPian

Sure Winner

18kmpl!!! Well the only hurdle that may cross people's minds will be will the space of the Swift vs Fiesta/Logan vs price they will pay.. Maruti in this price band has a lot of pluses that the competition will have a tough time matching.. Looks like Huyundai will struggle.. Tata's will feel the diesel heat from Maruti - one of their key USP's will be negated/neutralized.. Interesting to see how it will pan out..
Old 26th January 2007, 09:05   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti definitely have the Midas touch of late. Anything they touch turns into gold - the D Swift wont be any exception
Old 26th January 2007, 09:28   #4
BHPian

Thanks to FIAT technology, Swift D is going to achive phenomenal success.

But when is Fiat gonna bring it in their cars ??? God doesnt know either.
Old 26th January 2007, 10:09   #5
BHPian

18kmpl in city sounds interesting.....hey ivor how was the engine performance??is it powerful enough at low rpm??
Old 26th January 2007, 10:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

The first review of Swift D that too by a TBHPian. Congrats!

no ABS, Airbag and Climate control??? Following Hyundai? SHame!
Old 26th January 2007, 10:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ivor

Since you own the Petrol Swift, i was itching to know, how is the bottom end response of Swift Diesel compared to Swift Petrol. I read in Autocar about Turbo-Lag between 1200rpm-2000rpm. How does the diesel driveability compare in that rev range vis-a-vis the Petrol one?
Old 26th January 2007, 12:01   #8
Team-BHP Support

Guys... Great news...

My friend might get his Swift diesel 2moro... There were only two cars in the showroom... He has booked the first one, and they said they are planning to keep the second for display...

They have told him he could have the car by 2moro evening...

If that is the case, I have been asked to drop by his place on sunday... Will Report on the refinement and the mileage ASAP...

(Pardon my excitement... ... Cant help it)

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 26th January 2007 at 12:03.
Old 27th January 2007, 18:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Small BHP Review

NOTE: This is a small review the detailed one will continue tomorrow.

Got a chance to drive the Swift D today. There are 2 dealer here in Chandigarh and went to both of them for a test drive. Went to Modern first they only had 2 cars and 1 was on display and 1 was just parked inside. Insisted them for a test drive but they didn't collaborate.

Went to Berkley and they had around 5 - 6 cars. 3 were on display and 2 were parked and one was getting kenwood stereo getting fitted. The sales guy was good and knew about the car alot. I would say the first sales guy who knew what is 5 stage injection Maruti is talking about. Asked them for TD but he was not ready for it. Though he insisted me to check the car which was 40KM driven to check the NVH levels.

After a alot of pushing he agreed for the TD as they were taking car somewhere. Not a very long TD but around 5 - 8 KM TD.

Exteriors:
Well nothing new except for the badges VDi, LDi and DDis and car really looks good in White

Interiros:
Again nothing new except for the Tacho. The one with no tacho / no chrome on gear level is Ldi and the other is VDi

NVH:
Now comes the real part. The sales guy started the car and NHV levels were quiet impressive. Opened the hood and still there was not much noise. Though engine was cold (at least the Temperature indicator showed Cold). Sat inside and could not figure out it was a diesel. Though refinement i would again sate that is not like Ford Fiesta but still they manage to do pretty good.

The Drive:
The sales guy took it out of the showroom and handed the car. Slotted the first gear (Clutch was very good, but NHC clutch is best) and floored the pedal as the car was still showing cold lol. Windows were opened so when started to push it a bit there was a bit of noise (again the car is cold). There is turbo lag between 1200 - 1700 rpm but the beast wakes up at 1800 rpm (This will be continued in detiled review). Torque is 190 NM but it does not feel like driving a 190NM. But this was clarified when slotted 5th gear @ 35KMPH oh boy the car picks up well and no vibrations (the engine temp is now half way). Braking is ok but i would still say go for ABS, EBD and Airbags by paying 30K more.

Overall the car is good but lack space which we all know. The car is pretty much drivable in city and highways. You can cruise easily from 50 - 130 in 5th gear on highways.

The red lined review will continue later.. (you know what i mean).

P.S. Sorry if the pics quality is not good. I only have N70.
abhibh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2007, 18:18   #10
Team-BHP Support

Any idea what the claimed top speed is?
Old 27th January 2007, 19:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

I think top whack will be 160. One more thing. There was a price difference of Rs 800 -1000 between the price quoted by the dealers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Any idea what the claimed top speed is?

Last edited by abhibh : 27th January 2007 at 19:06.
Old 28th January 2007, 03:54   #12
BHPian

I had a look at the Swift diesel in the showroom and it looked much similar to the petrol version. the lack of the zxi equivalent really bugs me as i am missing certain required features which are not even provided as optional.

The Zxi features missing in the diesel version are

Automatic climate control
Driver seat height adjuster
Electromagnetic tailgate opener
Rear window wiper and demister
Airbag

Can these features be installed as optional and how much would each cost?
I am particularly interested in the first 3 items. I was told that the Driver seat height adjuster was not available in Zxi and that an automatic climate control couldn't be properly installed in a Vdi and would cost about 50k if done. Is this true?

Missing features which are available as optional are

Rear Parcel shelf
Dashboard digital clock
Keyless entry
Alloy wheels
ABS with EBD
Roof Spoiler

Any idea how much each costs?
Old 28th January 2007, 09:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileepd11 View Post
Missing features which are available as optional are

Rear Parcel shelf
Dashboard digital clock
Keyless entry
Alloy wheels
ABS with EBD
Roof Spoiler

Any idea how much each costs?
Look elsewhere in the market
Don't know
Old 30th January 2007, 16:55   #14
BHPian

Swift Diesel Test Driven

Hi Guys,

Test drove Swift diesel finally,

Things which i found:

1. There was little grunt in the engine, but it was just like verna CRDI , quite well refined engine

2. The pick up in the first gear was quick, it pulled three persons without any problem

3. I was not able check the full performance of it, so many were waiting for it

4. Third gear i felt it little underpowered at first, but after certain RPM it zoomed off

5. The gear shift as usual

i think the extra premium for the engine is answered

on road price in chennai is appox 5.45(VDI), but the dealer said it will be increased in the coming week

Delivery only after 3 months, i think the same strategy as the swift petrol.

only difference between VXI and VDI is the body colored mirror
Old 30th January 2007, 17:53   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatesh_t3 View Post
1. There was little grunt in the engine, but it was just like verna CRDI , quite well refined engine
Only a little grunt?? at what RPM can you feel the torque?? what does refined mean??

Quote:
2. The pick up in the first gear was quick, it pulled three persons without any problem
common, my 9 year old RX can pull three people to a 100 kmph!!!

Quote:
4. Third gear i felt it little underpowered at first, but after certain RPM it zoomed off
Aha.. did you know that the swift diesel came with a intercooler +turbo and it takes time(turbo lag) for the turbo to spool up to a certain RPM..but it would have helped us if info about what RPM the car zooms off?

Quote:
5. The gear shift as usual
as usual what??

Quote:
i think the extra premium for the engine is answered
you mean its worth to pay premium for this engine??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks