Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2007, 10:16   #136
BHPian

I personally won't mind a "turbolag" at 1500 rpm in 5th gear ( you can reduce its effect by change in driving style ) , as long as this car gives a real life of mileage of 20KMPl diesel AND shames and runs circles around cars priced even 3 times more in ingear acceleration ( both petrol and diesel ), at the same time.

To each his own..
Old 22nd February 2007, 12:14   #137
BHPian

A very good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
I personally won't mind a "turbolag" at 1500 rpm in 5th gear ( you can reduce its effect by change in driving style ) , as long as this car gives a real life of mileage of 20KMPl diesel AND shames and runs circles around cars priced even 3 times more in ingear acceleration ( both petrol and diesel ), at the same time.

To each his own..
Yup total agreement with you. Why not, this guy seems to be putting bigger engines to shame. Changing the driving style a little bit for saving lots of dough and still leaving behind bigger diesels, another why not.
But that does not mean it can not be improved. Hopefully multijet fellows will improve the turbo lag too.
Old 22nd February 2007, 12:51   #138
Team-BHP Support

And finally had a test drive of the Vdi.

Interiors: Tad refreshing with the new upholstery, otherwise nothing much has changed.

Engine: **** Great in stop n go traffic, with 3 people inside didnt feel much of that infamous turbo lag (specimen had 1k Kms done). On an open stretch yes acceleration was ok but once turbo kicks in, wow nice pull, sad though the engine cant rev higher like a petrol

Ok there is a definite diesel krrr, smooth but the sound is there alrite, not very annoying but still cant deny it either.

Handling: Tad heavier than the petrol sibling and yes thanks to the tyres very twitchy!!! Suspension overall set up seemed stiffer but i like it that way.

Overall build: Usual small rattles are there but definitely found to be lesser compare to the petrol car i took for a long drive to kerala and back.

Other observations:

Tyre noise sounded more ???

Engine under normal acceleration sounds nice but starts the whrrr once you try giving it some major gas.

Clutch a tad heavy as quoted before by others.

Heavy waiting period: Choice of 2 colors 2 months plus, choice of 1 color 2.5 months plus, White (The one i like) is the most wanted.

Overall: Will soon post in what car section, coz i am confused for now.
Old 22nd February 2007, 14:55   #139
Senior - BHPian

well, i got to check out the diesel a few weeks back, during one of maruti's road shows, one of the things that really impressed me was the sort of "firm" grip on the road. I had driven my friends petrol swift to the venue, and then drove the diesel one, thats when the "weight" difference struck me. The swift d felt more on the road, i attribute this to the difference / perceived difference in diesel and petrol engine weights. Another point was the fantastic way they have fitted the turbo and the intercooler in. (now what appeared to be the intercooler ) was positioned vertically towards the bottom of the engine bay. Must say, fiat and GM have put in a lot of thought into the engine and its structure.
Guess my only concern would be how good is maruti with diesels? the zen-d and esteem d have not been exact hits, but will the service centers be able to handle the new engines?
Old 22nd February 2007, 22:21   #140
Senior - BHPian

mods please delete this post. Accidentally the enter got pressed

Last edited by 1100D : 22nd February 2007 at 22:29.
Old 22nd February 2007, 22:21   #141
Senior - BHPian

mods please delete this post. Accidentally the enter got pressed

Last edited by 1100D : 22nd February 2007 at 22:29.
Old 22nd February 2007, 22:26   #142
Senior - BHPian

Today I test drove another swift diesel. This time I was changing the gears as I mentioned in a previous post of mine and it was awefuly quick, however beyond 140 the going was very very slow and this is where the petrol cars are gonna rock. Cant help it, thats the way this engine is supposed to work, but I think they could have a longer 5th ratio, as the car was pulling too much at around the 2500 rpm 3500 rpm. But then they did not do it as the speeds in excess of 120 is purely academic.

Now this car was having a rear end stepping out of line whenever I was braking from 100+ speeds(note: under normal braking, I was not slamming hard). On one fast curve on the Rajarhat expressway, I just braked before the curve and I had the car going a bit into a sideways drift at 100 +. It was scary (as I was not expecting it to at that time). Then I found that whenever I waqs braking from 100+ the tail was fishtailing. The previous test drive car was more surefooted while braking. However after the initial scary moment, I was having fun with the tail and it was scary for the sales men!!

Last edited by 1100D : 22nd February 2007 at 22:45.
Old 24th February 2007, 21:09   #143

Test Driven of Diesel

I test drove a VDi today. Here are my observations:

NVH : Low and it is awesome compare to other diesel cars except Accent
CRDi. There is some vibration when the car is idle. You can feel that in your steering wheel.

Clutch : It is not as good as Petrol cars but better than Indica and Zen D

Engine : As the tag line says it rocks. For a normal car buyer this is much more and no diff when compare to Petrol

Steering : Very light. I drove at max. speed of 100, it is responsive.

Gear shift: I found it is not smooth. They say it is because Swift is a sports car. If you compare with Accent CRDi gear shift this is poor. But better than Indica.

Suspension: This is another negative I found. In bad roads & speed breakers, I felt it is slightly bumpy and not smooth.

Space: Front seat is good. Rear space is disappointing as this is a 5L car and looks big from out side. Also i think 3 people can not sit very comfortably esp.in long drives.

Boot: Another disappointing aspect. Even I found new Zen Estilo has more space. Very tiny boot.

But I am going for this. Made a booking as there is no other best diesel car in 5L range.
Old 27th February 2007, 20:06   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdream2006 View Post
I test drove a VDi today. Here are my observations:

NVH : Low and it is awesome compare to other diesel cars except Accent
CRDi. There is some vibration when the car is idle. You can feel that in your steering wheel.

Clutch : It is not as good as Petrol cars but better than Indica and Zen D

Engine : As the tag line says it rocks. For a normal car buyer this is much more and no diff when compare to Petrol

Steering : Very light. I drove at max. speed of 100, it is responsive.

Gear shift: I found it is not smooth. They say it is because Swift is a sports car. If you compare with Accent CRDi gear shift this is poor. But better than Indica.

Suspension: This is another negative I found. In bad roads & speed breakers, I felt it is slightly bumpy and not smooth.

Space: Front seat is good. Rear space is disappointing as this is a 5L car and looks big from out side. Also i think 3 people can not sit very comfortably esp.in long drives.

Boot: Another disappointing aspect. Even I found new Zen Estilo has more space. Very tiny boot.

But I am going for this. Made a booking as there is no other best diesel car in 5L range.
Hi Buddy,

The engine vibration improves with the service. I have got my first service done and I can say the vibration on the steering is completely non existent. Also the gears are actually the most advanced once comparing to any entry level sedans, it has double synchro rings on first and second gears. The engage pattern and length would be different from accent which may be the reason why you are not finding it friendly.

I fully agree with the rear seat space, boot space. The suspension seems to be getting better but definitely not near accent.

Even ACI scores reflect the same opinion

Engine 10 / 10
Design/Styling 10 / 10
Fuel efficiency 10 / 10
Ride 6 / 10
Transmission 9 / 10
Comfort 6 / 10
Steering 9 / 10
Build 7 / 10
Brakes 8 / 10
Safety 7 / 10
Handling 7 / 10
Value for money 7 / 10
Old 27th February 2007, 20:56   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnugs View Post
Steering 9 / 10
Is the steering that good, it sorely lacks feel especially at high speeds or is it just me?
Those who have test driven the car, please give you inputs on this.
Old 28th February 2007, 12:37   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Is the steering that good, it sorely lacks feel especially at high speeds or is it just me?
Those who have test driven the car, please give you inputs on this.
Actually thats the case with almost all EPS systems. Among EPS, this is good enough, you dont feel the diesel heaviness on the steering and the control is not compromised.
Old 2nd March 2007, 23:32   #147

swift diesel

it is usefull to read your experience. it's price seems to be high.
Old 13th March 2007, 21:56   #148
BHPian

Had another loooong test drive in the swift VDI today. Much of it has been talked about earlier.

My Take
  • Engine rocks. Torque is addictive esp. as the turbo kicks in
  • Ride quality is ok thanks to 80 profile tires
  • Interior is boring with dull colors all around
  • Rear leg space is very very poor.

My Wife's Take
  • Rear Seat cramped
  • Interiors (the glovebox) is built flimsily.
  • Car is great for just the two of us

The waiting period is what puts me off. Dealer says a minimum of 2 months. For white colors its 3 months.

VDI comes with option for ABS, but no kits available as of now. Maruthi might start producing kits in another 2-3 months according to my dealer here.
Old 19th March 2007, 14:01   #149
BHPian

I am planning to buy a Swift or a Getz in the coming weeks. I have been seeing a lot of Swifts on the road with damages on the wheel arches or on the front / rear bumpers. I feel this car is actually not suited for our Indian roads / traffic. 10 / 10 Swifts I saw yesterday have damages on the body. Can some one owning a Swift throw some light on this issue
Old 19th March 2007, 17:00   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimi View Post
I am planning to buy a Swift or a Getz in the coming weeks. I have been seeing a lot of Swifts on the road with damages on the wheel arches or on the front / rear bumpers. I feel this car is actually not suited for our Indian roads / traffic. 10 / 10 Swifts I saw yesterday have damages on the body. Can some one owning a Swift throw some light on this issue
That is a bad inference...Anyways, coming to the point,
1) "ALL" newer generation cars including swift will have less (or no) view of the bonnet edge, so probably drivers take it for a ride and get the bumper damaged.
2) The swift wheel arches are little protruding, so bad drivers may be get it scratched.

So it all boils down to the driver and the place where you drive. Last week an Indicab wala came and hit my right door while he was taking a u-turn, I was struck in traffic and could not move to avert the accident, such things are unavoidable in metros.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks