Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2020, 20:23   #76
BHPian

Re: Scratching the sports car itch - My BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontan View Post
This is truly an amazing car. I too, was going through cars looking to upgrade a while back and had my sights set on a pre-worshipped M3 with 9K on the clock when good old Corona put barkes on my plans. CF bits will bring out the best, but for now enjoy the car stock. It's new and will give you no trouble at all. Drive safe and make her proud.
Thanks, I hope you are able to get your own M soon, the joy is worth it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazoid View Post
Congratulations on a most desirable car. Looks fabulous. Please post some driving footage on a curvy stretch when u get a chance.
Thank you, I will try to. Can't wait for when that will be possible again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Three direct injection turbo petrols under one roof! You truly are a petrolhead.

The thing with Asian cars these days is there aren't as many that are performance oriented. Almost none. Once iconic Japanese cars you see in Fast N Furious are no longer made. The few that exist are not even sold in India. I doubt if there will be a market for it, even if they did. For similar money, you'd rather buy German. That said, there are some new launches such as Kia's Stinger and Hyundai's i30N. The latter is a serious threat to a VW Golf R and Honda's Civic Type R. Off course, not to be compared to the M's and AMG's. Lexus still have their GS F. The last of the naturally aspirated champs and you finally have the dated and not so relevant Nissan GT R. With the Germans, its almost raining performance editions of every model in the line up. Mercedes have a proper fast AMG right from the A Class to the S.

I was not too surprised about your observations on the Skoda vRs. It isn't a track tool. Was never designed to be. Where it shines is flat out on the highway. Between a budget Mercedes or Audi, for the enthusiast, I'd still pick the Skoda for sheer driving pleasure.

I believe some amount of weight is important for a performance cars. I don't see any other way of putting down power effectively, even with all the electronic aids in place. You need traction to put down power effectively.

Was surprised by your views on the Audi S5. I thought it was seriously fast and fun. Feels very agile owing to the all wheel drive system. Being critical, I would say the only fault is the usual numb Audi steering wheel. Otherwise; it is a riot. Once again; it is not in the league of M's and RS series but cuts it really close on engine performance.

Sheer driving pleasure? Naaa. With an M, you have the Ultimate Driving Machine. Congratulations.
Thanks buddy! Yup, the vRS is an outstanding GT car and fabulous value for money in the sub 50L category. I agree with you, I would pick it over the C, XE or the A4. Against the 330i it is a closer call (but the 330i is a good 10-14 lakhs more expensive). But once you get it to Stage 2 + maybe some KW Street Coilovers, it will pull ahead of the 330i even. Plus its big, spacious etc, ticks a LOT of boxes for enthusiasts who need something that can serve multiple roles.

The S5 was too close to the vRS in terms of the kind of car it is. Yes the engine and tuneability is awesome, but its not as sharp, nimble and focussed as the M2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Beautiful looking car. Feel good just looking at the car, I can imagine what you might feel when driving it Somehow the looks are better in smaller Beemers while the bigger ones keep getting uglier.

I think for driving pleasure, the size of the car matters a lot. As cars become bigger, the pleasure drops and they need to develop new cars at the lower size end to keep it up. 20 years ago when Lexus IS was developed and it outdid the 3 series, its chief engineer said the same about 3 series !
Thank you! I agree and that was a big factor in my decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Thanks for sharing, It was an interesting read. I have fantasized about owning a sports car and your report gave me a closer look at the factors that go into consideration when buying a sports car in India. Especially, the ground clearance, maintenance, rear seat which is super useful when taking your family on ice cream runs, The high octane fuel requirement and the added fun-factor of rear wheel drive machines compared to all wheeled ones.

Fabulous color choice-Hockenheim silver. Enviable garage with the red Polo and blue VRS. Glad you had the time to write this report. That mean angry-looking face of BMW clearly makes me drool.

Enjoy your machine and keep updating. Cheers.

If budget was not a concern what would be the top 5 machines that you would like to own and why?
Thanks! In a hypothetical world where money no object (and we had better roads):

X5M for a family SUV (has the space and luxury of a big SUV and the power to keep me entertained)
MiniCooper S for my city runs (small and fast)
Porsche 911 Turbo for the weekends (does this need an explanation? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgm View Post
What a collection in your garage, buddy.
All of them heartthrobs of enthusiasts, and to top it all, a gorgeous looking and entertaining M2C
Congratulations, thanks a lot for sharing and an excellent write up.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwin Morey View Post
Hi Reesnat,

Congratulations for an awesome buy!!

Just a quick question, did you ever consider compare the M2 with Mustang? I think they are the only ones on the right side of the 1Cr mark.

Great buy, enjoy some zippy miles now
Thank you! No the Mustang GT that's available in India wasn't in the reckoning for me as its a big brawny muscle car, but not as nimble, sharp, and engaging as the M2C. If the Shelby 350 or 500 was available in India, the situation might have been a bit different!

Last edited by Reesnat : 4th May 2020 at 20:25.
Reesnat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 08:05   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

This is one of those last few good looking Bimmers out there, every other model that they're churning out today is eye wateringly ugly. I've always felt a Bimmer should be very compact, very wide and very old school, like how the E generation was.

I love this just for the looks, the silver color which I'm a big fan of, the compact blacked out kidney grille and rounded off headlamps. Even the rear with the compact L shape lamps give it a nice retro BMW feel.

I understand that this is a proper sports car but I'm one of those guys who found the GT TSi suspension to be extremely hard, the vRS surely, should be even more harder and you found that to be much softer than the M2 lol.

Congrats for fulfilling every driving enthusiasts ultimate dream, that of a compact, pedigree track car.
dark.knight is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 15:05   #78
GTB
BHPian

Congratulations. That's a LOOKER!

I almost decided to get this one home but dropped out as it is not comfortable for 4 and ended up with M140i. Every word you wrote in the 'Performance' section is very much similar to B58. No matter what gear you are in, floor it and you disappear. Turbo-lag, what?? what's that?? This is a serious looker, in Silver and Orange. It is great fun to drive machine.

With Steering, you could get Alcantara wrap as an Accessory, it looks great and comfortable to hold. Also a quick question, you got a mechanical differential? and how much difference does it make?

I wish you many happy miles and occasional side ways.

Thanks
GTB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 15:26   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesnat View Post

Interesting to hear about the Lexus delivery experience.
This is the experience I was referring to. Lexus ES300h

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 17:15   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
This is one of those last few good looking Bimmers out there, every other model that they're churning out today is eye wateringly ugly. I've always felt a Bimmer should be very compact, very wide and very old school, like how the E generation was.

I love this just for the looks, the silver color which I'm a big fan of, the compact blacked out kidney grille and rounded off headlamps. Even the rear with the compact L shape lamps give it a nice retro BMW feel.

I understand that this is a proper sports car but I'm one of those guys who found the GT TSi suspension to be extremely hard, the vRS surely, should be even more harder and you found that to be much softer than the M2 lol.

Congrats for fulfilling every driving enthusiasts ultimate dream, that of a compact, pedigree track car.
Thanks! On the suspension - these are all relative comments and need to be taken in context. Having said, that I do find the hardness of the GT TSi and the vRS to be very similar, and the M2 to be firmer (as expected). BUT, it doesn't mean its uncomfortable, and that's what I meant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
Congratulations. That's a LOOKER!

I almost decided to get this one home but dropped out as it is not comfortable for 4 and ended up with M140i. Every word you wrote in the 'Performance' section is very much similar to B58. No matter what gear you are in, floor it and you disappear. Turbo-lag, what?? what's that?? This is a serious looker, in Silver and Orange. It is great fun to drive machine.

With Steering, you could get Alcantara wrap as an Accessory, it looks great and comfortable to hold. Also a quick question, you got a mechanical differential? and how much difference does it make?

I wish you many happy miles and occasional side ways.

Thanks
Thank you! The M differential in this makes a massive difference when taking corners and when going sideways. With this generation M2C they tuned the differential beautifully with the right mix of lock and letting the car sideways but not completely out of control. I think its one of the things that separate the proper M cars from the M performance cars (I know, confusing as hell). B58 is also an excellent engine with lots of mod potential, it's used in the current Supra and M340i.

The Alcantara steering wheel is on my list of things to get for the car, it sure is nice!
Reesnat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 17:50   #81
RMN
BHPian

Congratulations! This is the closest non-nonsense enthusiast car in the market!

Quick question about the PPF. On a white car, don't they "yellow" in time?
RMN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 18:27   #82
GTB
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! The M differential in this makes a massive difference when taking corners and when going sideways. With this generation M2C they tuned the differential beautifully with the right mix of lock and letting the car sideways but not completely out of control. I think its one of the things that separate the proper M cars from the M performance cars (I know, confusing as hell). B58 is also an excellent engine with lots of mod potential, it's used in the current Supra and M340i.

The Alcantara steering wheel is on my list of things to get for the car, it sure is nice!
Not at all confusing man, all x35i's and x40i's are M-Lite cars and mostly all x40i's with B58's as in my M140i (here x doesn't stand for x-drive but model numbers instead).

Also, Please share how Alcantara wrap is fitted to the Steering wheel. If it is easy I want to do it myself and please do share your profile picture and some good pictures of this Beauty.

As it is a recent buy, haven't you considered M2 CS? or it is not available in India yet? Newer BMW's comes with Apple-Car-play as part of standard equipment, have you been charged extra for it?

Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 18:57   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMN View Post
Congratulations! This is the closest non-nonsense enthusiast car in the market!

Quick question about the PPF. On a white car, don't they "yellow" in time?
Thanks! Those days of yellowing PPF are almost behind us if you use good quality films. I used XPEL Ultimate, its the best right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
Not at all confusing man, all x35i's and x40i's are M-Lite cars and mostly all x40i's with B58's as in my M140i (here x doesn't stand for x-drive but model numbers instead).

Also, Please share how Alcantara wrap is fitted to the Steering wheel. If it is easy I want to do it myself and please do share your profile picture and some good pictures of this Beauty.

As it is a recent buy, haven't you considered M2 CS? or it is not available in India yet? Newer BMW's comes with Apple-Car-play as part of standard equipment, have you been charged extra for it?

Thanks
Not at all confusing, says two guys talking in terms of engine numbers . Its a bit ridiculous now how BMW with M and Mercedes with AMG have diluted these performance brands so much.

The alcantara is not a wrap but one of the M Performance steering wheels that you have to buy and swap fully.

M2CS is not coming to India and even if it did, not sure I would pony up the 30% higher cost. Apple Carplay has no subscription but costs 75k!!
Reesnat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2020, 16:19   #84
BHPian

This post has been really inspirational for me! Thank you for posting Reesnat. I have a Polo GT right now and if I look at what cars I'm looking at next - it's the vRS followed by the M2! So you're kinda living my dream right now Please do keep sharing more of the car and the stories around it as well.
shoaib3030 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 01:23   #85
sAP
BHPian

Glad to hear from a fellow M Driver. Below is a pic of my current M4. Owned an E92 M3 Coupe previously (also shown below in the last pic).
Attached Thumbnails
Scratching the sports car itch - My BMW M2 Competition-img_e4052.jpg  

Scratching the sports car itch - My BMW M2 Competition-img_e4053-2.jpg  

Scratching the sports car itch - My BMW M2 Competition-img_7653s.jpg  

sAP is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 09:41   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoaib3030 View Post
This post has been really inspirational for me! Thank you for posting Reesnat. I have a Polo GT right now and if I look at what cars I'm looking at next - it's the vRS followed by the M2! So you're kinda living my dream right now Please do keep sharing more of the car and the stories around it as well.
Thank you! Wishing you all the luck to fulfil your petrol dreams in the future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAP View Post
Glad to hear from a fellow M Driver. Below is a pic of my current M4. Owned an E92 M3 Coupe previously (also shown below in the last pic).
Likewise! Bit of black fan I see? they both look menacing! Having lived with both the generations, what do you think of them?
Old 7th May 2020, 10:57   #87
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

What a lovely car you go there Reesnat. You are living the dream which most of us aspire ! Your garage shows the passion you have for your vehicles. Being in chennai, if i do see your car on the road, will give u a honk. Take care and have fun with your cars.
bharanidharang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 13:47   #88
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Reesnat, you + your car + your thread just inspired another discussion. Thanks for that!

When smaller, cheaper cars are more fun-to-drive than bigger & expensive ones
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 15:58   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
What a lovely car you go there Reesnat. You are living the dream which most of us aspire ! Your garage shows the passion you have for your vehicles. Being in chennai, if i do see your car on the road, will give u a honk. Take care and have fun with your cars.
Thank you, hope we cross paths sometime

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Reesnat, you + your car + your thread just inspired another discussion. Thanks for that!

When smaller, cheaper cars are more fun-to-drive than bigger & expensive ones
Wow, I didn't think my post would resonate with so many people, I'm glad it did. Great thread too!
Reesnat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 20:02   #90
sAP
BHPian

Quote:

Likewise! Bit of black fan I see? they both look menacing! Having lived with both the generations, what do you think of them?
Thanks. And I do get that question a lot, for good reason. Below is a post I wrote on the differences I personally felt between the two. As a hint, I miss the race-car feel and intense road-hugging manners of my E92 M3.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/inter...ml#post4702117 (The BMW M3 Coupe is dead. Say hello to the new M4!)

Last edited by sAP : 7th May 2020 at 20:09.
sAP is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks