Sorry to hijack your thread but here's a cool video about the M2 in a game :
TheHelix0202 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 12:33   #122
BHPian

Re: Scratching the sports car itch - My BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by klondikebar View Post
Hi Reesnat,

I'm just writing to tell you that this thread made me join Team BHP. I am a new member. I know there is a section to introduce yourself, but I don't have enough to say to warrant a post there.

I've been dreaming of owning an M2C ever since I read this thread. I would check it frequently to look for something that would make me desire it less, but haven't yet found anything :-)

I was in discussions with a dealer in Mumbai, who was willing to offer an M2C at a good price. There was one unit left in Chennai without the M-sport seats, without the optional alloy wheels, without Apple Carplay but *with* the Harmon Kardon sound system. Also, it was in Long Beach Blue which is just too in-your-face for my tastes. This is the exact opposite of the configuration I would have wanted, but they were eager to move the unit and so had offered a decent price. All in, it could have come in at under 1 Cr on-road.

I could have just about done it at that price, with the right financing. But having done it, our finances would have been stretched in every other dimension. I would have had to think twice before taking my family out to a really nice meal and would have had almost no savings for some years.

I am still on the fence. It sounds silly, but I wake up thinking about this car, I go to sleep thinking about this car. With COVID around, I'm just not sure I have the stomach to do something this financially risky. My wife has just quit her job and so I'm more inclined to play it safe. The car was also not quite what I would have wanted. My spec would have been much closer to yours -- Hockenheim Silver and M Sport seats at the very least.

I know the M2C's production run is almost over, but I might still spring for it if I can build up the courage or if some financial constraints ease slightly. I still worry that the cost of maintenance will be high, and that it may still be imprudent, but the level of passion for this car is not something I've felt before.

Thanks again for sharing your experience and congratulations on being able to enjoy something so amazing.
Hey buddy, I can totally relate to what you're going through, I went through the exact same phase of total obsession for a month before I buckled and got it.

COVID has complicated things for a lot of people and I can totally understand the apprehension, end of the day you have to decide if the luxury is worth it for you.

For me personally, its been fantastic so far, learning the limits of what the car can do and improving my skills along the way. The engadgement this car offers is something you wont find in many other cars, that much I can assure you. This is a lot more than straight line speed (that ofcourse it can do as well).

I've just crossed 7k kms today, another post with the update coming up shortly. If you get the BSI+ you wont have to worry about cost of maintenance, I'll address this too in my update post.

I know the BMW guys pretty well by now and if you need any inputs or help, feel free to DM me and I'll do my best to help out.

All the best to you and I hope you are able to make your dream a reality soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Sorry to hijack your thread but here's a cool video about the M2 in a game : https://Youtu.be/ISHSX4GGKNk
Thanks for sharing. Considering what a handful this car is on tarmac itself it would be of control on a rally circuit
Reesnat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 20:31   #123
BHPian

Pondy trip + 7000 kms update

First outstation trip with the M2C after the lockdown - with the wife this morning to Pondicherry for breakfast (we try to do this once every couple months). The weather was beautiful early morning and was a very enjoyable drive! Our destination was Coromandel Cafe (great place!) and we got there in about 2.5 hours from Alwarpet (Chennai).

Scratching the sports car itch - My BMW M2 Competition-img_2477.jpg

Trip computer after we got back home:

Scratching the sports car itch - My BMW M2 Competition-img_2480.jpg

Averaging 9+ was pretty decent considering I was in Sports+ on the throttle response, and gearbox in manual mode for the most part. The winding roads between Mahabalipuram to Pondy were lovely to truly savor and enjoy the complete driving experience, relishing every gearshift, every turn, et all.

One important side note: keeping a track of your tyre pressures is a must on this car to ensure comfort, on the way the tyre pressure crept upto 38 and this was clearly felt while driving, was noticebly transferring a lot more road undulations, pulled over and reduced the pressure to 35 and around that pressure its perfectly manageable even on less than perfect roads.

Scratching the sports car itch - My BMW M2 Competition-img_2478.jpg

Scratching the sports car itch - My BMW M2 Competition-img_2479.jpg

With this trip I've now crossed 7000+ kms on the odo since January this year:

Scratching the sports car itch - My BMW M2 Competition-img_2482.jpg

In terms of what I think of the car after 7000kms, I'll put it this way - every time I get into it, its an occasion. Its a car that makes your hair standup when you drive it and keeps reminding you that its not a car to take lightly, it warrants your attention and keeps you hooked!

In terms of the maintenance costs so far, what has been done is the run in service, then oil change service (as per manufacture date), and an issue I developed with the rotors causing judder. In all the cases the service center took care of it, the rotors and pads were a bit of a fight since its not common for it to go so early, this probably happened on one of the track days, not giving it enough cool down time and holding onto the brakes at the paddok, causing marring on the discs.

So as of date, I've not paid a rupee towards maintenance to the service center, the BSI+ is certainly worth taking for a car like this. I get the feeling by the third year (i took the 5yr/60k kms plan) the amount paid will more than pay for itself, and the last two years would be a bonus.

So far, so great with the car, look forward to getting back into it again!

Last edited by Reesnat : 4th October 2020 at 20:39.
Reesnat is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 10:57   #124
SDO

Great review of the M2, friend !

I recently happened to read another review and it went pages on pages and I just couldn't do justice to the enthusiast's energy. This one went just right !

Your already nice stable just became even more handsome now. Wishing you plentiful jockeying of the M2. Hope to spot you some time on Bangalore roads ! ATB.
SDO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 17:47   #125
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pondy trip + 7000 kms update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesnat View Post
First outstation trip with the M2C after the lockdown - with the wife this morning to Pondicherry for breakfast (we try to do this once every couple months). The weather was beautiful early morning and was a very enjoyable drive! Our destination was Coromandel Cafe (great place!) and we got there in about 2.5 hours from Alwarpet (Chennai).
Where did you park the car to keep it away from prying eyes?

Quote:
One important side note: keeping a track of your tyre pressures is a must on this car to ensure comfort, on the way the tyre pressure crept upto 38 and this was clearly felt while driving, was noticebly transferring a lot more road undulations, pulled over and reduced the pressure to 35 and around that pressure its perfectly manageable even on less than perfect roads.
That is actually a bad idea. Tyre pressure increases because the air inside your tyres expands due to heat. It will get back to normal once tyres cool off. If you reduce the air during long drive; it will result in lesser tyre pressure when starting with colder tyres. Then you will think, tyres are having a air leak.

Quote:
an issue I developed with the rotors causing judder. In all the cases the service center took care of it, the rotors and pads were a bit of a fight since its not common for it to go so early, this probably happened on one of the track days, not giving it enough cool down time and holding onto the brakes at the paddok, causing marring on the discs.
So did the workshop replace both pads and rotors? or just cleaned them?
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 22:27   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDO View Post
Great review of the M2, friend !

I recently happened to read another review and it went pages on pages and I just couldn't do justice to the enthusiast's energy. This one went just right !

Your already nice stable just became even more handsome now. Wishing you plentiful jockeying of the M2. Hope to spot you some time on Bangalore roads ! ATB.
Thank you, glad you enjoyed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Where did you park the car to keep it away from prying eyes?

That is actually a bad idea. Tyre pressure increases because the air inside your tyres expands due to heat. It will get back to normal once tyres cool off. If you reduce the air during long drive; it will result in lesser tyre pressure when starting with colder tyres. Then you will think, tyres are having a air leak.

So did the workshop replace both pads and rotors? or just cleaned them?
Parking this car in public is always something to think twice about, around coromandel cafe are some reasonably empty lanes where it felt safe enough. Having said that, I'm consciously trying to not overthink it always otherwise I will never take it anywhere and then what's the point.

Air pressure - Pressure going up and down due to heat is something to understand and consider, only when you lose too much pressure on one of the tires should you worry about an air leak. For this kind of car/tyres/suspension, its very sensitive to tyre pressure for comfort so I always keep an eye on the pressure. If I reduce 3-4 psi like I did here, I know the next day on cold start it will be that much lower. Hence I picked up a Mi tyre air compressor and have it always in the boot. This is an additional 5-10 mins of work for me to keep track of, but its worth it in this case. For shorter drives, I dont bother at all.

The service center swapped rotors on the front, and sanded down the rear rotors heavily removing the marring to a large extent and that solved the judder.
Reesnat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 18:59   #127
BHPian

Wow! What a brilliant car and super write up! Wish you many fast and safe miles ahead.
motorotor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 11:44   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Air pressure - Pressure going up and down due to heat is something to understand and consider, only when you lose too much pressure on one of the tires should you worry about an air leak. For this kind of car/tyres/suspension, its very sensitive to tyre pressure for comfort so I always keep an eye on the pressure. If I reduce 3-4 psi like I did here, I know the next day on cold start it will be that much lower. Hence I picked up a Mi tyre air compressor and have it always in the boot. This is an additional 5-10 mins of work for me to keep track of, but its worth it in this case. For shorter drives, I dont bother at all.
Keep in mind the tyre temperature too. Ultimately temperature is what leads to bursts, etc. If you lower the pressure in the middle of a drive, it will lead to even higher tyre temperatures.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 12:35   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Keep in mind the tyre temperature too. Ultimately temperature is what leads to bursts, etc. If you lower the pressure in the middle of a drive, it will lead to even higher tyre temperatures.
Thanks, will look into this aspect. Right now there is no way to keep an eye on the temperature from within the car, there are no sensors for it. This will matter more if you're tracking the car hard, than on the street/highways.
Old 2nd December 2020, 14:01   #130

Beautifully written review. Wish you exciting and safe miles ahead.
super.veloce is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 23:26   #131
BHPian

I stumbled on this thread after voting NO (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...car-india.html (Is it worth buying a premium luxury car in India?))

Having gone through the entire thread, I want to go back and change that vote to YES

Congratulations on the purchase of a great car and best wishes for a fun-filled ownership!
Mar21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 18:34   #132
BHPian

Reesnat what a lovely garage you have there buddy. Now that's what we call someone as a true petrolhead!

Initially I was not a big fan of how M2 looks but eventually it has grown over me and now I find her an absolute looker! The silver color on the M2C surely has some sort of wizardry going for it, I can see so many forms of different shades from the pictures you posted in the thread.

I'm sure you are having one hell of a time driving her and pushing her to the limits. I totally understand when you say that it would take time and skills to fully tame her and even then she would leave you with something extra worth looking forward to.

Here's wishing you many many kms of joy, happiness, driving pleasure, safety and reliability!
ashish22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 19:55   #133
BHPian

Congratulations on your new beast. Wish you many happy miles in this white beauty.
Breathe2drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 09:57   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by super.veloce View Post
Beautifully written review. Wish you exciting and safe miles ahead.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar21 View Post
I stumbled on this thread after voting NO (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...car-india.html (Is it worth buying a premium luxury car in India?))

Having gone through the entire thread, I want to go back and change that vote to YES

Congratulations on the purchase of a great car and best wishes for a fun-filled ownership!
Thanks, I voted yes too, life is boring without some high adrenaline memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
Reesnat what a lovely garage you have there buddy. Now that's what we call someone as a true petrolhead!

Initially I was not a big fan of how M2 looks but eventually it has grown over me and now I find her an absolute looker! The silver color on the M2C surely has some sort of wizardry going for it, I can see so many forms of different shades from the pictures you posted in the thread.

I'm sure you are having one hell of a time driving her and pushing her to the limits. I totally understand when you say that it would take time and skills to fully tame her and even then she would leave you with something extra worth looking forward to.

Here's wishing you many many kms of joy, happiness, driving pleasure, safety and reliability!
Thank you! Yeah, the color sure is special!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathe2drive View Post
Congratulations on your new beast. Wish you many happy miles in this white beauty.
Thank you!
Old 22nd December 2020, 01:57   #135
BHPian

Congratulations on the car and the great reviews of purchasing and driving it. Glad to see a fellow petrolhead that enjoys driving even if it is just for breakfast. While mine is not a M2C, it has been one of the few things this year that has kept me smiling. Almost every day through the year, my wife and I have tried to take a quick 25-30 km drive and it always lifts the spirits.

Wish you many more happy and safe miles in the M2!
equinox22 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks