Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2020, 09:32   #16
BHPian

Re: Scratching the sports car itch - My BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshan Joshi View Post
That is a beautiful car you have got there. I wish you many happy miles on your new car.

Anyways I must say that you have a pretty good garage.
Thank you! Not sure if that is even available in India, at least the dealership never mentioned it to me.
Reesnat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 10:09   #17
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the M2, its definitely an awesome choice!

One of the most fun cars you can buy today. It even sounds better than the M3/4. Certainly a dream of mine to own one day.

With regards to the fuel, how about using speed 97 as the base fuel, and then using the octane booster? Also I'm unaware, but how safe would it be in the long run?

One thing I disagree with you on is the Harman Kardon audio, while its nothing out of this world, it definitely is far far better than the standard audio.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd May 2020 at 10:33. Reason: Typo. :)
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 10:24   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Congrats on the M2, its definitely an awesome choice!

One of the most fun cars you can buy today. It even sounds better than the M3/4. Certainly a dream of mine to own one day.

With regards to the fuel, how about using speed 97 as the base fuel, and then using the octane booster? Also I'm unaware, but how safe would it be in the long run?

One thing I disagree on you with is the Harman Kardon audio, while its nothing out of this world, it definitely is far far better than the standard audio.
Thanks!

On the Fuel: starting with Speed97 as the base fuel is not worth the added cost as you're not sure what the exact octane rating for it is. I am pretty sure its not making 97RON. Second, I don't like the added dye that they use in it, leaves a residue which is not good for the engine, and stains the paint if it falls on it. With regards to long term safety, Proctane EVO uses the same additives as used by Power99 to make 99RON. I don't anticipate any impact on the engine as it does not contain any MMT or organometallics that other octane boosters has. It has also been tested in India by the Indian Institute of Petroleum, so that gives it that added confidence. Eklavya who makes these is a car guy himself (has a mad modded S4!). So I suspect it's not going to be any different than Power99 as they both are pretty much the same mix.

On Harman Kardon - The Harman Kardon sound system in this car has got more bass, but isnt much clearer I sell music production equipment for a living, so I prefer a more neutral sound. Plus, this car isn't about the sound system, so not a priority, and we also need to factor in the added weight with more speakers and bigger woofer. In my experience, it depends from model to model, in some cars it can be a significant upgrade and in some not so much (depending on your ear, ofcourse).

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd May 2020 at 10:34. Reason: Quoted post edited, typo edited. Thanks.
Reesnat is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 11:04   #19
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations, Reesnat. This color is fab. Add a few carbon pieces and it will be an eye magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesnat View Post

Proctane EVO uses the same additives as used by Power99 to make 99RON. I don't anticipate any impact on the engine as it does not contain any MMT or organometallics that other octane boosters has.
Yes, most guys use Proctane, and it helps. Even the Petro companies in India use some additives in the regular and these are based on the regular fuels. Though there may be difference in the Quality/ spec.

Quote:
On Harman Kardon - The Harman Kardon sound system in this car has got more bass, but isnt much clearer I sell music production equipment for a living, In my experience, it depends from model to model, in some cars it can be a significant upgrade
Your analysis is spot on, (has to be). So, a HK system on a 7 series will be far better than what they give on a 3 or 5 Series. And as we go down into the food chain, the differences on premium vs regular decrease. I don't know for sure who makes the regular ones but don't be surprised if HK produces both albeit with different components.
Turbanator is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 11:08   #20
BHPian

Congratulations Reesnat on your new buy. And you have an awesome collection of cars. Drive safe!
paramesh3210 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 11:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the car Reesnat! I believe you’re spot on when you say it’s the best drivers cars to buy this side of 1 crore (so to speak).

There’s something to be said about how cars are becoming bigger than ever and more powerful than ever, and I personally think it’s a pointless numbers game. The M2 comp is in a very sweet spot with its comparatively smaller size and meaty power figures. I for one would love to own one some day, it is the ///M car for me after the E46.

Wish you many many miles of happiness in the baby ///Monster. And yes, a few carbon bits will go a long way towards enhancing the look of the car!
iliketurtles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 11:49   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Add a few carbon pieces and it will be an eye magnet
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
And yes, a few carbon bits will go a long way towards enhancing the look of the car!
Thanks guys! Yes I've had my eyes on the M Performance carbon bits for a while now, but they aren't cheap! With the current situation, I don't know when I'll be able to spend again on the car, but I hope to at some point!
Old 2nd May 2020, 11:50   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on buying one of my favourite cars currently on sale. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review. In these depressing times, it was really inspiring to read your story. Thank you!

What a beautiful looking car. Sad to see what BMW is doing to their newer designs these days. Good call on the wheels. I wonder why every almost every M competition car has weird looking wheels?!!

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 2nd May 2020 at 12:16.
Santoshbhat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 11:53   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
There’s something to be said about how cars are becoming bigger than ever and more powerful than ever, and I personally think it’s a pointless numbers game. The M2 comp is in a very sweet spot with its comparatively smaller size and meaty power figures. I for one would love to own one some day, it is the ///M car for me after the E46.
This is one of the main reasons I settled on the M2! I agree with you, every car gets bigger and bigger in every generation and that's catering to a need for 'do it all cars'. I can understand this to a great extent and I fear cars like the M2 are part of a dying breed of pure drivers cars, so I'm happy I had an opportunity to own one.
Reesnat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 11:53   #25
BHPian

Congratulations Reesnat! The car you have purchased is absolutely stunning. The power and size of the car, make it the best and most usable M package available in India. I wish you many miles of happiness with the beast!
dealer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 11:56   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Sad to see what BMW is doing to their newer designs these days. Good call one the wheels. I wonder why every almost every M competition car has weird looking wheels?!!
I know right?! Its a trend with all of their competition cars! While the competition wheels are standard for M2C's all over the world, in India BMW charges an extra 1.25L for them!

Last edited by Reesnat : 2nd May 2020 at 12:02.
Old 2nd May 2020, 12:20   #27
BHPian

Re: Practicality/Fuel Economy:

When this car was released, I saw practically every video on YouTube about it. It's quite widely regarded as the closest thing to the older M3 cars that people are so crazy about, so it's modern but like an old school M3 (which is amazing). Congratulations!

I could relate to so many of the things that you mentioned because I got a very similar car right about the same time as you. But I've driven it much less, so your post inspires me to drive the Porsche more.

Question regarding fuel - My car has the same requirement - 98 RON recommended but minimum 95 RON. I have a bunk that sells PoWer 99 near my house, so it's quite easy. Do you think it's better to use that or is it better to do what you are doing (I am not sure if PoWer 99 has any disadvantages, hence asking).

It's great to see more and more sports cars on Team-Bhp. Hoping to see many more
Naman_Ferrari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 12:36   #28
BHPian

Congratulations! Spectacular review.

I wouldn't change one single thing if I were in your place. Perfect size. Fun RWD. Best looking BMW by far. Perfect colour - looks hewn out of granite. Perfect deep dish rims. Enough mod potential (not sure if you'd ever want more, maybe a sub 4 second for the heck of it).

Pleasantly surprised about the suspension comfort.

what'll you use the VRS now for...? Polo's perfect for the grind, M2 is perfect for the weekend. Hire an Innova when you need it, sell the VRS, finance the exhaust, adaptive suspension and carbon fiber bits !

Last edited by d_himan : 2nd May 2020 at 12:37.
d_himan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 12:38   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naman_Ferrari View Post
When this car was released, I saw practically every video on YouTube about it. It's quite widely regarded as the closest thing to the older M3 cars that people are so crazy about, so it's modern but like an old school M3 (which is amazing). Congratulations!

I could relate to so many of the things that you mentioned because I got a very similar car right about the same time as you. But I've driven it much less, so your post inspires me to drive the Porsche more.

Question regarding fuel - My car has the same requirement - 98 RON recommended but minimum 95 RON. I have a bunk that sells PoWer 99 near my house, so it's quite easy. Do you think it's better to use that or is it better to do what you are doing (I am not sure if PoWer 99 has any disadvantages, hence asking).

It's great to see more and more sports cars on Team-Bhp. Hoping to see many more
If you are lucky enough to have access to Power99, go for it. When traveling, use Proctane.

On whether it's better or worse than Proctane, I cannot say for sure except that they both are supposed to use a similar mix, so I would think similar results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
what'll you use the VRS now for...? Polo's perfect for the grind, M2 is perfect for the weekend. Hire an Innova when you need it, sell the VRS, finance the exhaust, adaptive suspension and carbon fiber bits !
Hahaha, you're putting evil thoughts in my head!

VRS is now the family car and does that job really well, and keeps me plenty happy behind the wheel!

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 2nd May 2020 at 13:33. Reason: merging back to back posts
Old 2nd May 2020, 12:53   #30
BHPian

Very nice review, one of the best in quite sometime!

The M2 or 2 series in particular, always stood out to me to be the most cute / quirky looking due to how different they looked compared to their siblings, yet not very unlike typical BMW’s. This generation is especially gorgeous; I couldn’t help but grin at that angled pose!

Couple of quick questions - how many airbags does this car come with? I’m guessing 6, is that right? One thing I’m noticing is the position of the side airbag: it’s located on the base of the seat and not on the A-pillar itself. I wonder why BMW designed it that way, any particular reason?
TheHelix0202 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks