Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2020, 08:15   #61
BHPian

re: My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update

Loving your updates. Keep them coming. The car is truly beautiful
batladanny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 07:35   #62
BHPian

re: My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update

Great report, I came very close to buying this car last year (the pre-facelift GL version). The test drive I had was with the 4WD version and I loved the engine on it. In the end, it was a little over my budget.

Wish you a great many miles and hassle-free years of ownership.
kauphylover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 08:03   #63
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your new purchase.

Super review. Nothing less than official review.

One word of caution: Parking space looks scary. I see a big risk that not only you, but the adjacent car owner also has to be doubly careful while parking his car, when your car is already parked. Else, all possibilities of scraping the sides either by you or neighbour car.

And, on a lighter note, you will have to do wallet parking to your wife every time at least till 1-2 years, since she is still learning. Else, i see all possibilities of the above risk becoming reality.

Last edited by gkveda : 29th December 2020 at 08:04.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 17:42   #64
BHPian

Beautifully written and keep them coming. Your car looks great in black and wish you many happy miles in it.
pk1972 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 23:31   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
One word of caution: Parking space looks scary. I see a big risk that not only you, but the adjacent car owner also has to be doubly careful while parking his car, when your car is already parked. Else, all possibilities of scraping the sides either by you or neighbour car.
Yes, this is correct. I park slowly and carefully and using all the aids (mirror, sensor, security guy). My car neighbour is very experienced (30+ years of driving experience, I estimate) and parks carefully too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
And, on a lighter note, you will have to do wallet parking to your wife every time at least till 1-2 years, since she is still learning.
Of course. Being the queen, er, wife, she makes me take the car out and put it in every time. I'm just happy she can share the driving, esp. in the city.
Old 15th January 2021, 12:26   #66
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed ownership review. I have booked the Tucson (White - Petrol GL (O)) and yet to take delivery. However, my wife is not seeing any Tucsons on the road and she is quite shocked and scared if I have made the right decision!

Just a few queries on the AT to the experienced members of the group. I have ridden a manual vehicle for more than 10 years and this is my first auto. I have a slight concern over how minor slopes can be handled without a clutch. Mumbai roads have slight slope and I end up using clutch+brake. Can I use the Hill Hold/ Hill assist to be in always on mode for handling such situations? Or does the AT handle minor slopes on its own without need for any intervention?
Old 17th January 2021, 01:03   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag408 View Post
Thanks for the detailed ownership review. I have booked the Tucson (White - Petrol GL (O)) and yet to take delivery.
Congratulations! Wishing you lots of enjoyable driving. Once your wife sits in the car, she will surely change her mind. Once my wife started driving, she loves it even more and now she has booked the car for herself once we resume going to office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag408 View Post
I have a slight concern over how minor slopes can be handled without a clutch. Mumbai roads have slight slope and I end up using clutch+brake. Can I use the Hill Hold/ Hill assist to be in always on mode for handling such situations? Or does the AT handle minor slopes on its own without need for any intervention?
You should be fine on slight slopes even without any assist. The car tends to creep forward at a slow speed even if you don’t press the accelerator. For slopes with more incline, the hill hold will help. It is always on.

Note my car is a diesel with lots of torque. Today I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on a flyover ramp (stupid Bangalore ring road white topping) and the car easily went up the steep slope with zero acceleration input. It was amusing to see the Nexon EV in front of me go back a little every time he had to move.
QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 17:24   #68
BHPian

Got the engine oil changed a few days back. The car had clocked 4700 km by then.

Took a while to figure out the right engine oil to use and to find it. Senior Hserus helped to figure out the right engine oil that matched the specification. (All about diesel engine oils)

I got Mobil1 ESP. The car needs about 7.6l or so (plus another 100-200ml for priming the filter), so we bought two cans of 4l each:
My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update-mobil1_esp.jpg

I went to my FNG Krithi Car Care for this. I am happy to say that they did a thorough and good job. There was some difficulty in getting the oil filter. Apparently, even Advaith Mobis does not have the part - Hyundai has quietly stopped selling these parts other than to their dealers. After some running around, we managed to find a friendly service manager at Trident Service Centre. He insisted on seeing the car and entering its details in the system before selling the filter to us.

The engine was warm from my drive there when it was hoisted up:

My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update-car_hoisted_up_on_jacks.jpg

The plastic underbody had to be removed. It has 16 screws holding it in place. Interesting that it is plastic and not metal, I guess one should be more careful with pot holes and speed breakers.

My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update-plastic_underbody.jpg

The existing oil was drained out and the new one filled in:
My Black 2020 Hyundai Tucson GLS Diesel AT | An Ownership Review | EDIT: 30,000 km update-engine_oil_change_1.jpg

The engine was started up and left running for a few min. Then the oil level was checked again and topped up. About 7.5-7.6l of oil was used up. I will check the level again in a week or two and top up if necessary. I also got a complimentary exterior cleaning done.

I haven't done any longer drives yet, only one giant 2 hour slog through the ring road in bumper-to-bumper traffic. So far, it seems good.

A question to experienced folks: since the 5k mark is coming up, should I get the wheel alignment and balancing checked? What is the recommendation?
QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 21:39   #69

Great review! I have booked Tucson GLS Diesel Black too . Awaiting delivery in couple of weeks.

I'm planning to replace stock tires first thing after delivery. Looking for suggestions on replacement for stock Nexen tires. Is ContiSportContact 5 245/50 R 18 better than Nexen n'priz RH7 in terms of comfort and noise level?

Last edited by vimalkumarajith : 18th January 2021 at 21:51.
vimalkumarajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 22:00   #70
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraticAmoeba View Post
....since the 5k mark is coming up, should I get the wheel alignment and balancing checked? What is the recommendation?
You can get it checked at any reputed centers. Better than getting it done at ASC where they charge a lot more and not really sure if they do it genuinely unless you stand by the car during the servicing steps.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 22:08   #71
BHPian

I am curious to know why you didn't get it changed in the authorized service center. ( Since you anyway went there to procure it) . Is it that they dont do it unless you opt for a regular service?

Quote:
After some running around, we managed to find a friendly service manager at Trident Service Centre. He insisted on seeing the car and entering its details in the system before selling the filter to us.
Old 18th January 2021, 22:31   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vimalkumarajith View Post
Great review! I have booked Tucson GLS Diesel Black too . Awaiting delivery in couple of weeks.

I'm planning to replace stock tires first thing after delivery. Looking for suggestions on replacement for stock Nexen tires. Is ContiSportContact 5 245/50 R 18 better than Nexen n'priz RH7 in terms of comfort and noise level?
Congrats and wishing you many kilometres of happy driving.

I am actually quite happy with the OE Nexen tyres, and am not planning to replace them for now. The Tucson anyway has very good NVH and you cannot hear much road noise. The Nexen are also soft-road tyres and are very comfortable on highways and even on the city roads in Bangalore.

Looking forward to your ownership review and your experience with other tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
I am curious to know why you didn't get it changed in the authorized service center. ( Since you anyway went there to procure it) . Is it that they dont do it unless you opt for a regular service?
Two reasons:

- If I get it done myself, I can observe / supervise the process completely. This way, I am assured that a good job is done on the car, good components are used and so on.

- If I find a good FNG, I can go to them for other things when the service centre is not able to solve issues, or when the warranty period is over.

Last edited by QuadraticAmoeba : 18th January 2021 at 22:35. Reason: Added another reply
Old 19th January 2021, 15:42   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Got the engine oil changed a few days back. The car had clocked 4700 km by then.
Quote:
since the 5k mark is coming up, should I get the wheel alignment and balancing checked?
Just curious, any particular reason for engine oil change and wheel alignment/balancing, at this stage ? Is it recommended by Hyundai for Tucson or is it just a matter of good practice ?
I also drive diesel AT, although Seltos, the younger cousin. At 5K service interval, I contemplated but wasnt sure, decided to follow Kia recommendation to do it during 1yr/10k service.

Quote:
You should be fine on slight slopes even without any assist. The car tends to creep forward at a slow speed even if you don’t press the accelerator. For slopes with more incline, the hill hold will help. It is always on.
I agree it is such a boon to have this feature, esp for city drivers like me who visit hill stations without proper hill driving experience. There were few heart in the mouth occasions where I had to negotiate oncoming truck on a narrow steep incline roads which had just enough space for a single car. I had to do reverse, move, reverse, move inch by inch on the incline. The combination of diesel torque, AT and Hill Assist makes such manoeuvres a breeze, I dread doing the same in any other petrol manual car without frying the clutch and brakes!

Last edited by mankuthimma : 19th January 2021 at 15:46.
mankuthimma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 16:14   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

5K is too early for balancing and rotation. You can get the alignment checked at 5K interval if you drive on bad/broken roads frequently. 10K interval is good for alignment, balancing and rotation.

Just ensure you get the alignment done at a reputed shop and not at HASS. Their machines are never calibrated and will screw up the car alignment.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 17:14   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankuthimma View Post
Just curious, any particular reason for engine oil change and wheel alignment/balancing, at this stage ? Is it recommended by Hyundai for Tucson or is it just a matter of good practice ?
I also drive diesel AT, although Seltos, the younger cousin. At 5K service interval, I contemplated but wasnt sure, decided to follow Kia recommendation to do it during 1yr/10k service.
Mostly, it was my idea of good practice. I had a combination of two reasons:

- I read that the very first oil change can be done early to flush out minor metal shavings and the like from the engine oil (since the engine would be new and just run-in). I started to look for a good engine oil a month ago (when I had done maybe 2000 km) but could only get everything in place closer to 5k km.

- Hyundai manual says 5k km oil change in "adverse driving conditions" which surely includes Bangalore city driving. Note the Tucson is a CKD and perhaps not designed for dusty/slow Indian conditions. Some wise T-BHPian said (I'm paraphrasing) : "Oil is cheap, engines are very costly", which made a lot of sense to me. Also, it is recommended to change the oil filter frequently (see, for e.g. this post (ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil)).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
5K is too early for balancing and rotation. You can get the alignment checked at 5K interval if you drive on bad/broken roads frequently. 10K interval is good for alignment, balancing and rotation.
Thank you sir. I drive carefully on both highways and the not-so-good roads in Bangalore. So far I still feel that the vehicle is driving smoothly and centred on the road. I will wait till the 10k mark to get the wheel alignment and related stuff done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks