JUs came back after test driving the Logan 1.5 Diesel

What is like about the car
===================
A sense of space
A silent Diesel engine
A good AC
Power steering, which is smooth and helps in those U turns
An engine that is tad peppy when it is reved beyond 2
No need to constantly change gears as the car is able to handle at higher gears at low speeds
Gear box which is smooth
Brakes and Suspension

Places where they can improve
=======================
Plastics -- Too bland
Steering wheel -- Too big and not sporty
Seating position, not very comfortable, inspite of using the adjustments
I wore a boot, so I did not find the full depression of the clutch an issue... but you would need to work on those pedals.

Overall
=======
A good car but for 8 Lacs on road, I would rather settle with Ford Fiesta rather than putting my money on this.

Clarification
========
Ground clearance is 172 mm and 155 (Laden)
So, I guess it should be good enough for the Indian bumps. Unless we plan to transport a couple of SUMO wrestlers
Old 16th April 2007, 18:02   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The power steering controls have been removed from the doors,again is a cost cutting feature.
Sorry guys,that was a typo error,did not notice that in time,I meant power windows,thanks mahesh.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 16th April 2007 at 18:04.
Old 16th April 2007, 18:36   #48
BHPian

really liked your special quotes along with the review....
Old 16th April 2007, 19:48   #49
Senior - BHPian

I know there was a post somewhere else, but probably those prices are not on road Bangalore.

What are the on road prices of Fiesta & Verna, Indigo XL Diesel versions on road Bangalore? If someone takes the trouble to post it - i will be grateful.
Old 17th April 2007, 09:08   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
a stiffer chasis will always weigh more besides the rocking things he's talking abt it is probably due to lack of chasis stiffness.
A stiffer chasssis need not weigh more..Clever engineering and use of advanced and lighter materials ( Aluminium, Titanium, Carbon Fibre, advanced composites ) Can make a chassis stiffer and lighter..

Even normal steel chassis are tweaked all the time by designers ..to retain the same stiffnes , while reducing weight at the same time or make it stiffer at the same weight.
Old 17th April 2007, 11:59   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Isn't it 4th? He Test drove Stile, Prime and UV-A on the same day.
No, 5th. He TD Stile, Prime & UV-A on the same day and Swift D, the next day and now this one!

And i have a feeling that it will be 6th by next week, when & if Spark is launched. Must be some sort of record (not counting Auto Journos)
Old 17th April 2007, 12:43   #52
Senior - BHPian

How come the top-end Logan Diesel costs 8L on-road?
From my calculation,it was 7L on-road which was already expensive by 50k.
Old 17th April 2007, 13:09   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
Renault Logan GLS 1.6

Pricing (Rs.) Ex-Showroom Mumbai Price5,95,977 Registration Charges41,765 Insurance Charges22,623 On-Road Mumbai Price6,60,365
Renault Logan DLE 1.5 dci
View Features/Specifications

Pricing (Rs.) Ex-Showroom Mumbai Price5,75,322 Registration Charges40,273 Insurance Charges22,029 On-Road Mumbai Price6,37,624

Renault Logan DLS 1.5 dci

Pricing (Rs.) Ex-Showroom Mumbai Price6,75,973 Registration Charges47,318 Insurance Charges25,721 On-Road Mumbai Price7,49,012 EstimateEMI *

Ford Fiesta 1.4 EXi TDCi

Pricing (Rs.) Ex-Showroom Mumbai Price7,21,000 Registration Charges55,820 Insurance Charges26,278 On-Road Mumbai Price 8,03,098 This is the price for low end version of fietsa diesel.
There, looks much better now.......
Old 17th April 2007, 13:43   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

@Geeksri, that was another fantastic review from you. Seems like your out on a vengenence looking out for new cars for writing reviews. I rather liked the back shape of renault better than the front which looks like a cheap cousin of a cedia.

however, they got the pricing way to wrong and it would really need a lot of convincing to make people buy this car at that price.
Old 17th April 2007, 14:12   #55

Its a big disappointment as i know couple of people who were just waiting for the Logan Diesel to get into the market. For a price of 8L they are better off choosing a Verna or a Fiesta. The only thing good is the safety aspect( eventhough its just one air bag or a honeycomb dashboard). I assume M&M might come down on the price after testing it in the first 10 cities or come up with an optional ABS.
Old 17th April 2007, 14:21   #56
BHPian

What happens in future is that they will have to offer heavy discounts to keep it moving. By then it will have grooved pretty bad image. It will see a fate similar to fiat-petra.

Another problem is its much hyped low price ? And reliability related doubts clearly will keep customers at bay from investing 'huge' money
Old 17th April 2007, 15:28   #57
BHPian

I am getting totally confused here. In the other thread on the Logan, it was established that the Logan was actually cheaper than the Indigo Dicor, and that the Verna and the Fiesta were in another price bracket altogether. Now suddenly we realise its just about ~50K cheaper than the Fiesta TDCi.

If its that close to the Fiesta, its a no-brainer. The Logan is doomed.
Old 17th April 2007, 15:33   #58
Team-BHP Support

Whats been shown here is that this is the top-end Diesel version of the Logan as against the base version on the Fiesta diesel. Also, a 1.5 against the 1.4 of the Fiesta.

If it was me spending my money here, definitely the Fiesta.
Old 17th April 2007, 15:57   #59
Senior - BHPian

i think i am missing something here:

From the info here, the base version of Logan is at least 1.5 L cheaper than base version of Fiesta on road.

for that here's the things unique for both:

Fiesta:
power windows, remote locking & soem conveniences

Logan:
bigger, spacious, large boot

Economy should be same for both. Power, driveability and refinement seems to be comparable for both.

So I don't understand why people claim Logan is doomed compared to Fiesta! Shouldn't it be the other way around? I like power windows but not at 1.5 L premium!!
Old 17th April 2007, 16:25   #60
BHPian

Out of topic,
GeekSrik, just heard that Chevy Spark is launched. Expecting TD report from you. Make a record of maximum TDs in shortest time!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks