Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2021, 10:16   #31
BHPian

Re: My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review

Congratulations on the great acquisition to go with this lovely write up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEA View Post

9. Hector/Hector Plus Petrol Manual: The things that I loved about this vehicle were:

9.1. Gave the most commanding view from the driver's seat, amongst all the cars that I test drove
I can totally relate to this. I was in market shopping for a crossover/SUV and had shortlisted the Creta/Seltos/Kushaq.

But, one casual visit to the MG showroom followed by a test drive changed the whole picture. The sheer experience that the Hector provided was unmatched by any of the cars that I had shortlisted. The high sitting position and the commanding view of the road ahead gave a great feel.

This single experience has played a big part and I have booked the MG Hector.
TheVegabond is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 11:40   #32
BHPian

Congratulations. Excellent review. And I can see from the pics, you're living in the same apartment as me. We should connect sometime.
Old 29th November 2021, 15:09   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd1108 View Post
Nice review TSEA. Thanks for sharing. Do give your detailed review on your first travel. Would like to know how it handles the twisty hill roads
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Great review...
Been to Lansdowne a couple of times, Alwar, Mussoorie, corbett, and the car has been fantastic. Sure,you won't be carving corners, but it's just such a stress free drive, that you enjoy the scenery way more..
completely agree with Mayankk. I am yet to drive the vehicle on serious twisty hill roads. I did have a little taste of few hair pin bends in one of my trips and the vehicle did well. Mine being a manual petrol, I do feel the lack of outright torque (as compared to a diesel)
Old 29th November 2021, 15:13   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVegabond View Post
..But, one casual visit to the MG showroom followed by a test drive changed the whole picture. The sheer experience that the Hector provided was unmatched by any of the cars that I had shortlisted. The high sitting position and the commanding view of the road ahead gave a great feel.
This single experience has played a big part and I have booked the MG Hector.
Good to hear that. Wish you tons of happiness with the vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurudatt28227 View Post
Congratulations. Excellent review. And I can see from the pics, you're living in the same apartment as me. We should connect sometime.
Thanks Gurudatt. It is indeed a small world and a massively popular automative forum. I have been pinged by 2 more folks in my apartment, after reading this review
TSEA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 23:56   #35

Between Hector and Hector plus, what made you choose the latter? I have been in this dilemma for a while now.
Old 30th November 2021, 15:04   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
Between Hector and Hector plus, what made you choose the latter? I have been in this dilemma for a while now.
We chose Hector Plus as we were looking for the third row of seats. For the same variants, the difference in price (on-road) was around 60K. If you don't foresee the third row being used (by kids) regularly, then Hector would be more meaningful
Old 30th November 2021, 16:16   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How many people in your family who rely on this car? Look back at your last few road trips, did they always involve more than 5 people? Do you have to plan to drop some people out, or take another car for such trips? Family trips within the city, do you always carry more than 5 people?
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 00:25   #38
BHPian

Quote:
TSEA has already replied but I thought I could add my 2 cents too. I (rather we!) chose Hector Plus due to the following reasons-

1. More practical. We are a family of 4 and with parents/inlaws visiting, it made sense.
2. Better looks- This is subjective but in my eyes, the Hector Plus looks better, in the sense more classy and sophisticated.
3. The gesture boot opening- Kids love it. Even I dont mind it

If these factors outweigh the extra cost for your usage, then go for it!
Old 1st December 2021, 00:47   #39
BHPian

Quote:
In the end, we chose what we liked the most between the two based on our first test drive experience. Hector Plus it was.

Attachment 2236639
Many congratulations, TSEA, and a superb write-up and review as well. I think this should be an excellent complement to the official team-BHP MG Hector /Hector Plus review!

In my Hector Plus Hybrid, I have noticed a vibration on the clutch pedal when I place my foot on it. The response of the vehicle appears alright but I'm concerned that this could lead to the wearing out/replacement of the clutch in a few years.

I did ask the service personnel but they talked me out by saying it is very much as per the design and there is absolutely no issue. To convince me further, they even made me try a Hector hybrid that had come to them for servicing. It also had vibration but slightly less than mine.

Have you (or other Hector Plus owners) felt something similar with the clutch?
Old 1st December 2021, 10:06   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRanger View Post
..It also had vibration but slightly less than mine.

Have you (or other Hector Plus owners) felt something similar with the clutch?
Thanks @RiverRanger. I will surely check for vibration. Just to reconfirm, is the vibration present, irrespective of the gear in which the vehicle is?
TSEA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 10:19   #41
BHPian

I missed pointing out that the same engine setup and slightly higher weight means the Hector Plus will be slightly thirstier and slower than the Hector. Also, in Hector, the back seats collapse to bring out even more boot space. In Hector Plus, the middle seats are fixed. This additional space could be important for some people.
RiverRanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 10:33   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @RiverRanger. I will surely check for vibration. Just to reconfirm, is the vibration present, irrespective of the gear in which the vehicle is?
Yes, it is present in all gears, but appears more prominent in lower gears.

Just like you, I also find the lower gears slightly notchy. In fact, my experience is almost exactly like yours- nearly all positive!
Old 1st December 2021, 17:24   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRanger View Post
Yes, it is present in all gears, but appears more prominent in lower gears.

Just like you, I also find the lower gears slightly notchy. In fact, my experience is almost exactly like yours- nearly all positive!
I checked on neutral and there were no vibrations. I even removed my slippers and checked with a bare foot and felt nothing.

Once the car started to move, every-time I was pressing on the accelerator, I was feeling minor vibration on the clutch pedal, but I think (rather hope) that's not what you are indicating.
TSEA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 17:05   #44
BHPian

2600 Kms Update

The vehicle has crossed 2600 Kms, thanks to some short and long outstation trips.

Here are some points that I noted from my highway drives:

1. Comfort is top notch and that notion remains. Long drives in captain seats are very comfortable for rear passengers as well

2. Highway fuel efficiency dips to 12-13 if we constantly drive at speeds over 90. Best fuel efficiency figures (of around 15 kmpl) can be achieved with speeds around 85-90

3. Since the roads were pretty much straight, we did not feel any body roll

4. As one can see easily over vehicles which are in front, overtaking was more fruitful

5. On-board navigation is good, but google navigation is still much better
TSEA is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 17:29   #45
BHPian

After the long drives, the vehicle was not looking great. On top of that Burgundy Red color was not a great choice for ease of maintenance. In my view, such color shades should be avoided in larger vehicles.

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-dirty-front.jpeg

The rear was looking horrible with dust getting settled on the rear glass and wiper

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-dirty-rear.jpeg

Hence I decided to give it a wash and a quick wax.

The equipment used included lots of Microfibre cloths, Turtle Wax ICE Seal N Shine Spray Wax, Turtle Wax Max Power Car Wash, 1 Bucket of Water, 1 small empty bucket and a 1 Litre Spray Bottle

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-equipment-used.jpeg

Following is a quick summary of the routine that I followed

1. Spray fresh water all over the car using the 1 Litre Spray Bottle

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-spray.jpeg

2. Fill the spray bottle with a mixture of the car wash and water. Spray the stuff on one section (start from the top of the vehicle)

3. Fill little water in the small bucket, dip the cloth in it and clean the above section.

4. Was the cloth, empty and the bucket, refill it with fresh water and then repeat Step 2 and Step 3 on new section. Cover section by section in this manner

5. Last section to be touched were the side, front and rear black-plastic elements

6. Once all sections were done, take little fresh water in the small bucket, dip a new fresh piece of microfiber cloth in it, squeeze the water out of the cloth and wipe off the sections (in the same order as they were washed with car wash). Keep cleaning the cloth with water, between each section

7. Wipe the car with a Dry microfiber cloth. The vehicle after the wash:

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-after-wash.jpeg

8. Take a new Microfiber cloth, spray some wax/polish solution on it and wipe (not buff) the vehicle sections (in the same order as above)

In the end, take the vehicle out in evening sun and take some pics

Front Pic:

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-front.jpeg

Other Angles:

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-front-left.jpeg

Side Views:

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-side-left.jpeg

Rear Pic:

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-rear.jpeg

Last pic in the parking

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-after-wax.jpeg

Last edited by TSEA : 16th December 2021 at 17:32.
TSEA is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks