Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2022, 14:13   #61
BHPian

Re: Update from Bangalore Wayanad Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEA View Post
[*]I have realised (based on last 3 highway drives), that somehow I am able to beat google maps estimates (even after taking breaks). I don't drive fast and generally stick to 85-90 km speeds on empty roads. I am not sure why this is happening. In my swift, we used to reach very close to what google had predicted at the start of the trip.[/list]
Just a guess- it happens due to the following reasons (compared to a hatchback)-
1. The commanding view- enables the driver to see slightly farther
2. More comfortable- thus keeping the speed longer than other vehicles
3. Road presence- allowed ahead slightly more!

BTW, my iSmart app is no longer showing the mileage for each trip? Is that the new software update? Anyone noticed this...?
Old 15th March 2022, 15:35   #62
BHPian

Re: Update from Bangalore Wayanad Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRanger View Post
Just a guess- it happens due to the following reasons (compared to a hatchback)-
1. The commanding view- enables the driver to see slightly farther
2. More comfortable- thus keeping the speed longer than other vehicles
3. Road presence- allowed ahead slightly more!

BTW, my iSmart app is no longer showing the mileage for each trip? Is that the new software update? Anyone noticed this...?
I believe those could be the reasons.

On iSmart mileage issue; There is a notification from MG stating that it's a bug in the new App version and will be fixed soon (with a bug-fix version)
TSEA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2022, 10:12   #63
BHPian

Magnetic Sun Shade

Since it was getting brighter and hotter in Bangalore, I was asked to get Sun Shades fitted in the vehicle. The need of sun shade was much felt in our last Wayanad trip.

I wanted to get the official accessory fitted. For getting the sun shades, I had to visit the showroom, which out of sheer lethargy, was getting delayed.

Eventually I got Kingsway Magnetic Sun Shades from Amazon. Why Kingsway? I have used their sun shades in my swift and found them to be of acceptable quality and finish.

The link is:

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08T5QGFGQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The set contained:

Half Cut pair for front windows (magnetic, no zipper)
Pair for rear window (magnetic, no zipper)
Rear Quarter glass pair (non magnetic, no zipper )
Rear windshield sunshade (non magnetic)

The fitting is acceptable. Quality is reasonable, for the price.

Here are some pics:

Front Windows:

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-front-door-window-fitting.jpeg

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-front-door-win-left.jpeg

Visibility from Driver Window is good because of the half cut shape.

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-front-door-win.jpeg

Rear Windows:

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-rear-windows.jpeg

Rear Quarter Glass (fitting is very tight on one side and loose on the other side)

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-rear-quarter-glass.jpeg

Rear Windshield (fitting could have been better):

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-rear-windshield.jpeg

Visibility through Rear View mirror is acceptable for day driving, however it will not be great for night driving

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-rear-windshield-view.jpeg

Overall look from outside:

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-outside-view.jpeg

Last edited by TSEA : 19th March 2022 at 10:27.
TSEA is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 15:04   #64
BHPian

5000 Kms Service Update

Had given the vehicle for 5000 Kms service. Gave the vehicle at 10:00 a.m. and managed to collect it at 12:00 p.m. I wanted the vehicle early and the SA obliged (big thanks to him).

There were no complains from the vehicle, hence nothing much had to be done. However the SA did manage to upsell the 3M AC Vent, AC Cabin, Mechanical Care and AC Evaporator cleaning.

The Hosur Road, Bangalore service center is a bit small. The car parking area is a covered one. The customer lounge area is clean. Overall experience is positive.

In my last drive to Yercaud, I realised that the suspension behaves much maturely when the vehicle is on full load (5 adults + Kids + luggage). It stays more planted.
TSEA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 15:36   #65
BHPian

Quick Fuel Efficiency Update and Engine Performance

Method Used: Tank full to Tank full
Fuel Filled: 46.40 Ltrs
Kms Travelled: 483
Fuel Efficiency: 10.40 Km/Ltr

My last month's running has been largely to a place around 6 kms from my house. The efficiency might improve if I run the vehicle for longer duration.

There is a lot of talks on the performance of the 1.5 Turbocharged Intercooled engine of Hector Plus.

I find the engine to be more than adequate for city driving. Coupled with the E-Boost provided by the Hybrid setup, pick of the car from standstill is reasonably quick.

The engine revs happily and produces peak power of 143ps@5000 rpm. MG has also tuned the engine to produce maximum torque at lower rpms: 250nm@1600-3600 rpm. These figures make the Hector Plus very nimble at lower speeds. These figures are also very close to the much envied 1.5 TSI engine (148 bhp @ 5000 rpm and 250 Nm @ 1500 rpm) of another SUV. However Hector is a heavier vehicle and that does play into the power to weight ratio.

While I was unable to find a 0 to 100 Acceleration Numbers of Hector Hybrid, my guess is that it will be well under 11 seconds, which will be equal (or better) than a diesel hector/safari.

MG should have given a more relaxed 6th gear. Currently 90 km speed comes at 2,000 rpm. I would have loved (and so would have the fuel efficiency numbers) to have 90 km at 1800 rpm.

Last edited by TSEA : 11th May 2022 at 15:38.
TSEA is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 10:29   #66
BHPian

Re: My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-img20220515wa0004.jpg

Water washed the car today. Attaching few pics. While I don't recommend this color, it does shine a lot even after a plain water wash.

Side view (notice the dirt on the black plastics, that portion needs a proper shampoo wash and a dressing)

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-img20220515wa0003.jpg

Front views

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-img20220515wa0002.jpg

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-img20220515wa0005.jpg

Last edited by TSEA : 15th May 2022 at 10:31.
TSEA is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 11:49   #67
BHPian

This post is more on how driving a bigger vehicle has made me a more responsible (if not good) driver. Most of the points are applicable to all size as well as types of vehicles:

1. I have learnt not to try and squeeze in (a two wheeler) from the left side of a vehicle which is turning left. While this was always in my mind, I occasionally used to try and squeeze my two wheeler from the left of a vehicle turning left. It was dangerous and stupid. While driving a bigger vehicle, I have realised how difficult it is for the driver to adjust his steering feedback for such situations

2. I have learnt not to try and overtake (even in a smaller car) a vehicle which is turning right, from it's right side. This is again very dangerous and lands the driver onto incoming traffic (on an undivided road). While driving a bigger vehicle, I have been in situations wherein a spirited car/bike just landed on my right side, bang into upcoming traffic. In short, don't overtake a turning vehicle.

3. I have learnt to be mindful of puddles and slow down (or even stop) even though it might not be required. This I should do to ensure I don't splash a smaller vehicle (many time a two wheeler)

4. Do not try to unnecessarily overtake a slow moving vehicle in city traffic. 9 out of 10 times, I have met the same vehicle (which I just overtook) on the next traffic light

5. Do not intimidate smaller vehicles which I might perceive are at fault (for e.g.: forcing an incoming traffic to stay in their lane on an undivided road). Be more courteous and try to give way.

6. Be patient with other drivers (parents, spouse, friends, colleagues, cab drivers etc.) who are getting late to reach your place. There is no point in venting out on drivers who are late, or putting them in a situation wherein they try to cover ground faster than they safely should.

7. Try to put the lights off (specially the LED Projector Headlights) momentarily for incoming two wheelers, when driving in very dark roads. The projectors on SUV's tend to blind a two wheeler (due to the scratches on the helmet visor)
TSEA is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 11:29   #68
BHPian

Washed the car with Turtle Wax Max Power Car Wash, applied little Turtle Wax ICE Seal N Shine and finished with Ecstar Wax. Here are some pics (it's cloudy in Bangalore):

Front:

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-img_20220522_112100.jpg

Reflection on Bonnet/Hood:

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-img_20220522_112036.jpg

Side:

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-img_20220522_112320.jpg

In Parking:

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-img_20220522_111936.jpg

Last edited by TSEA : 22nd May 2022 at 11:30.
TSEA is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 18:18   #69
BHPian

Re: Magnetic Sun Shade

Quote:
Since it was getting brighter and hotter in Bangalore, I was asked to get Sun Shades fitted in the vehicle. The need of sun shade was much felt in our last Wayanad trip.

[/ATTACH]
A word of caution (speaking from personal experience) - over time, the mount point of the shades over the doors (where the magnets are stitched) tends to wear off giving rise to the following
1. Scratches on the door frame
2. Rust formation due to the poor quality of stuff used near the magnets (since these shades can get wet you open the door during rains)

Cheers
kedar_GT is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 20:34   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar_GT View Post

Cheers
I second this.

Quote:

[
Half Cut pair for front windows (magnetic, no zipper)
Pair for rear window (magnetic, no zipper)
Rear Quarter glass pair (non magnetic, no zipper )
Rear windshield sunshade (non magnetic)

The fitting is acceptable. Quality is reasonable, for the price.
]
I had these. Got rid of them due to the scratching.
I'd advise getting the MG oe shades. They're mounted on brackets stuck to the inner frame. Way more elegant, and no danger of scratches.
Retain the rear quarter and window shades from the old set.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 09:36   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar_GT View Post
A word of caution (speaking from personal experience) - over time, the mount point of the shades over the doors (where the magnets are stitched) tends to wear off giving rise to the following
2. Rust formation due to the poor quality of stuff used near the magnets (since these shades can get wet you open the door during rains)

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I second this.

I'd advise getting the MG oe shades. They're mounted on brackets stuck to the inner frame. Way more elegant, and no danger of scratches.
Retain the rear quarter and window shades from the old set.
Thank you Kedar and Mayank. I will get them changed in due course.
TSEA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 18:03   #72
BHPian

Quote:
This post is more on how driving a bigger vehicle has made me a more responsible (if not good) driver. Most of the points are applicable to all size as well as types of vehicles:

1. I have learnt not to try and squeeze in (a two wheeler) from the left side of a vehicle which is turning left. While this was always in my mind, I occasionally used to try and squeeze my two wheeler from the left of a vehicle turning left. It was dangerous and stupid. While driving a bigger vehicle, I have realised how difficult it is for the driver to adjust his steering feedback for such situations

2. I have learnt not to try and overtake (even in a smaller car) a vehicle which is turning right, from it's right side. This is again very dangerous and lands the driver onto incoming traffic (on an undivided road). While driving a bigger vehicle, I have been in situations wherein a spirited car/bike just landed on my right side, bang into upcoming traffic. In short, don't overtake a turning vehicle.

3. I have learnt to be mindful of puddles and slow down (or even stop) even though it might not be required. This I should do to ensure I don't splash a smaller vehicle (many time a two wheeler)

4. Do not try to unnecessarily overtake a slow moving vehicle in city traffic. 9 out of 10 times, I have met the same vehicle (which I just overtook) on the next traffic light

5. Do not intimidate smaller vehicles which I might perceive are at fault (for e.g.: forcing an incoming traffic to stay in their lane on an undivided road). Be more courteous and try to give way.

6. Be patient with other drivers (parents, spouse, friends, colleagues, cab drivers etc.) who are getting late to reach your place. There is no point in venting out on drivers who are late, or putting them in a situation wherein they try to cover ground faster than they safely should.

7. Try to put the lights off (specially the LED Projector Headlights) momentarily for incoming two wheelers, when driving in very dark roads. The projectors on SUV's tend to blind a two wheeler (due to the scratches on the helmet visor)
Fully agree with your views. Adding a few too which might be repetitive

1. Right turn should always be a long turn and left has to be shorter one ensuring.you stick to your lane quickly and not disturb other incoming vehicles

2. Ensure to.maintain a certain min distance while.driving behind a bigger vehicle to avoid sudden breaking specifically while driving a two wheeler. I experienced this while driving a city i suddenly braked and a two wheeler behind me struggled to apply brakes. So iam now conscious while driving my two wheeler

3. A city like Bangalore is riddled with potholes. Avoid taking a new route or driving during night. I sort of do a survey with my car prior to driving my two wheeler. Sad but true indeed

4. Always stop look and proceed when reaching any intersection. May not be practical but hugely beneficial
SeshSrini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 08:24   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeshSrini View Post

4. Always stop look and proceed when reaching any intersection. May not be practical but hugely beneficial
Great Points. The last one is so very apt for Bangalore. Bangalore is blessed with green residential layouts with individual houses. While this adds to the charm, it does bring in a tons of intersections. We need to be careful approaching an intersection and very very careful while merging into one
Old 19th July 2022, 08:32   #74
BHPian

Installing Qubo Pro Dashcam

Some time back, I had ordered Qubo Dashcam Pro. I decided to fix it in the car myself. Unfortunately, MG had discontinued providing the USB Slot in the IVRM, else the install would have been even simpler.

The equipment in question was the Qubo Dashcam Pro. More on the product in the link below:

https://www.quboworld.com/qubo-dashc...RoCPSkQAvD_BwE

I am posting few install pics which might help in case someone wants to also do a DYI with a Dashcam.

I routed the cable from the passenger side, as I had a spare USB port in the passenger footwell, next to the central console.

Fixed the Dashcam below the fastag sticker and took the wire straight up to the roof lining:

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-msg1765720763506.jpg

Next I pushed the wire inside the roof lining, it was easy and the wire is not visible at all

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-msg1765720763508.jpg

I then hid (using the tool provided along with Dashcam) the wire inside the front left plastic, between the ridge where the soft roof lining meets the hard plastic panel:

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-msg1765720763510.jpg

The next step was important, I pushed the cable inside the plastic bidding, so that it get's neatly concealed. The cable had to be pushed a little more inside to ensure there were no bulges on the bidding. I then used this bidding to hide the cable so that I could run it down, till the bottom of the glovebox (and the cable stays hidden):

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-msg1765720763512.jpg

At the point where the bidding was meetings the dashboard, the cable had to be brought out, concealed inside the dashboard plastic and then pushed back inside the bidding:

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-msg1765720763515.jpg

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-msg1765720763514.jpg

I had decided to route the cable under the glove box, hence had to take it out from the bidding and conceal it under the joint shown below (hi-lighted in yellow). I then hid it under the glove box, ensured it was a tight run and did not interfere with passenger feet. Ultimately I attached it to the usb port as shown below:

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-msg1765720763517.jpg

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-msg1765720763518.jpg

My First SUV | MG Hector Plus | Ownership Review-msg1765720763519.jpg

Overall it was a simple task to accomplish. Some amount of pre-planning was required to study the places along/around which the cable would be routed.

Last edited by TSEA : 19th July 2022 at 08:46.
TSEA is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 15:24   #75
BHPian

Re: Installing Qubo Pro Dashcam

Quote:

I then hid (using the tool provided along with Dashcam) the wire inside the front left plastic, between the ridge where the soft roof lining meets the hard plastic panel:

Attachment 2335836
Great effort and nice outcome. Not to discourage you but a word of caution. If your car comes with curtain airbags, above setup will come in its way of deployment. It's a safety hazzard. If no curtain airbags, all good, else take a professional help to run the dash cam wire behind the airbags. If you want to open the A pillar plastic cover by yourself be aware that you need to disconnect battery, I feel it's not worth the risk. I wanted to do DYI similar to you, but due to the high risk went with https://fitcamx.com/products/fitcamx...for-all-toyota.
nandrive is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks