Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2007, 17:52   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is that a pro or con?
Thats a pro Kevin Prasad Zenwallah, since you can hardly hear the horn inside it means that good deadning has been done by Tata Motors.

Quote:
wonder if that was the same problem with the VX you saw- it could explain y the dealer did not let you start the engine.
On Sunday i had gone for a test drive and saw the VX standing in the test drive location, since the dealership had closed down for the day i couldnot get a test drive. Now after 3 days of test drive the car was in the workshop, and the sales guy told me, Tata is carrying on some checks. Now thats weird as no company does something like that. There was a cloth coming out from the hood on both sides and the hood was closed.

Quote:
Then why is 3.0 L still better than the 2.2?
Its not!!

Quote:
The throw was wide, especially the first gear.
Yes totally agree with you on this. If you are not careful you would be in third instead of first.

Quote:
Did you take it over 3000 rpm? Its very noisy after 3k rpm.
Yup, took it to 4000RPM, arent all cars noisy after 3000RPM?

The problem with the Innova is that its undertyred and underpowered.

About the gearbox issues i think with time and kms it should be fine.
Old 11th October 2007, 17:56   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Thats a pro Kevin Prasad Zenwallah, since you can hardly hear the horn inside it means that good deadning has been done by Tata Motors.
Busa, if that's a yardstick then the 3.0L is equally effective - I only realize how loud my horn is when (if) I have the windows down (which is rarely). With the windows up, it sounds bloody weak & anemic!
Old 11th October 2007, 17:57   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post

The problem with the Innova is that its undertyred and underpowered.
not undertyred. the stock size is fine if you get good tyres. but underpowered yes.(only till day after for me though)
Old 11th October 2007, 18:27   #34
BHPian

Head Gaskets blown!! its news to me

So should one go for 3.0 (though the production is stopped) considering one wants to have a long term relationship the truck or go for 2.2 with lot's of uncertainties.

my personal opinion is to go with those engines which are proved in the past like 3.0

what say, comments please?
Old 11th October 2007, 18:42   #35
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV View Post

As somebody else pointed out here .. it could be a manufacturer related issue nd not necessarily TATA's fault !!.
OT: but tata hired the supplier to provide parts to its product. End consumers are buying a tata car, & not a tata engine, xyz's body, subros ac, abc's gearbox. As far as we are concerned, its Tata's fault and they better get their act together.
Old 11th October 2007, 18:54   #36
Senior - BHPian

I really doubt if its a major engine problem, because whatever we are talking here is again "guesswork", it might be related something to the engine though.

Even before the assembly line is started with mass production the various components are tested for QC and some of the vehicles from the first batches tested on the test tracks before a release to market is done.

They are already churning out 2.2l by the day and you cannot expect TATA to do all replacements at the dealer end.

Anyone close to the dealer will be able to make them spill the beans.

rajeev (rajismine), we need you here now.

Last edited by dadu : 11th October 2007 at 18:56.
Old 11th October 2007, 19:03   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,

If I read correctly, only VX has been reported as "being tested".

So how can it be related to engine?

It must be about some gizmos...so chill...
Old 11th October 2007, 19:20   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Guys,

If I read correctly, only VX has been reported as "being tested".

So how can it be related to engine?

It must be about some gizmos...so chill...

EX and VX both are being tested
Old 11th October 2007, 20:17   #39
BHPian

Reliability Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV View Post
Yes, Some of the 2.2's have blown head gasket's ... i hear one of the dealer in Bangy has 4 of them in his workshop with the above problem ...

Well there was a test mule in Mumbai, which had driven down from the ERC...The injectors failed (all four of them), they were replaced by a second set which failed, the third set met with the same fate and so did the fourth set...the fifth set got the 2.2's back on the road.

a single injector costs Rs. 12,000...the ERC guys were thankful they did not own the vehicle....
Old 11th October 2007, 21:30   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by milin View Post
a single injector costs Rs. 12,000...the ERC guys were thankful they did not own the vehicle....
the problem possibly lies elsewhere. how could injectors keep failing for no apparent reason, and that too, 4 pairs!!! ?

and what fuel did they use???

will be helpful if you could please get in touch with any of them who were witness to this incident. seems freaky indeed.
Old 11th October 2007, 22:36   #41
Senior - BHPian

BUSA - fantastic review man !!!

Tell me one thing bro !! What about getz D ??? Idea chop ?

I am awaiting test drive of safari here, will do in a day or two.
Old 11th October 2007, 22:40   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
the problem possibly lies elsewhere. how could injectors keep failing for no apparent reason, and that too, 4 pairs!!! ?

and what fuel did they use???
Let's not get too carried away, this was during the testing, lots of things can go wrong then.
Old 11th October 2007, 23:25   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Let's not get too carried away, this was during the testing, lots of things can go wrong then.

this problem occured only a month back..And mind you the 'testing' was long over. and the internal reaction to the launch of the 2.2 DICOR is not so enthusiastic, i am talking about the service department and not marketing or the ERC.

Even the 1.4 DICOR has its fair share of problems, thus we dont see it on the Indica.
Old 11th October 2007, 23:43   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by milin View Post
this problem occured only a month back..And mind you the 'testing' was long over. and the internal reaction to the launch of the 2.2 DICOR is not so enthusiastic, i am talking about the service department and not marketing or the ERC.
Oh Boy! That means it was after the production run started, waaaay after the design testing. This is really getting scary. My wife just reminded me the Forest Gump philosophy: Tata cars come out like a box of chocolates, you never know what you gonna get!
Old 11th October 2007, 23:59   #45
Senior - BHPian

someone parked a brand new 2.2l next to my car today! Should find the owner tomorrow

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks