Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2008, 13:41   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
No, not for leg room, but can be reclined.
I dont think you will ever want to push the rear seats back for legroom - there is PLENTY of it available. With the almost 90 degree recline, the rear seat passengers can sleep with the same reclining comfort as the front seaters. Providing of course that there are no 3rd row passengers.

Liju please provide more insight into 3rd row comfort - while there was enough legroom for 3rd row passengers, it did seem like the knee position was slightly higher than the seat - just like the 2nd row on the Pajero.

Someone asked about the position of the ORVM adjuster switches - it isnt awkward at all as there is enough room to the right of the steering wheel to be able to access it comfortably.

The name Sumo hasnt been changed and for good reason - this vehicle has acres of space inside, whether it is for passengers to fit in, or for driver ergonomics. I wish it had more cubbyholes, though. I couldnt put that bottle of mineral water into the door pockets when I did the test drive.
Old 4th April 2008, 13:52   #62
BANNED

lijo,

Nice pics. Interiors look better than I expected.

Since you also own two of the more fancied cars here, what do YOU think of the interiors of the swift, skoda and the grande? Also, how is braking? Gear shift? A/c?

How does the audio sound? How many speakers, what kind/make/size and their location?

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 4th April 2008 at 13:55.
Old 4th April 2008, 14:05   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
...Let's listen to Lijo's experiences here.
we have threads to discuss on the pro's & cons' of the Grande. Lets not hijack Lijo's thread.

Let us share the happiness Lijo has on his new acquisition.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 4th April 2008 at 14:17.
Old 4th April 2008, 14:08   #64
tez
BHPian

lijo, are u planning for adding a bull guard to your accessory list? IMO, it would give a much more butch look to Grande
Old 4th April 2008, 14:37   #65
Senior - BHPian

good photos Lijo.

and great of you to give a photo comparision with respect to all your rides.

Is it that the gear handle gets too close to the ICE when in 1/3/5 gear, very much like Safari and makes it difficult for operations or is it not?
Old 4th April 2008, 16:58   #66
BHPian

Lijo, Pictures looks really great. Thanks for posting. I remember seeing a thread for Grande containing the details of making it fancy (like adding a ladder at the back like Endeavour, Bull Bar, etc). Will try to get that link!
Old 4th April 2008, 17:47   #67
BHPian

Great Photos Lijo. The comparision with other cars was great bonus!

Guess what, I have started seeing more Grandes' in Chennai. I drove near an orange one (squeezed near in a signal) and was comparing the length/ height. It sure is taller than Santro and a little bit longer. I turned to my wife and smiled, she echoed my thoughts - "you can park"!

If you can comment about the 3rd row - leafspring suspension - ride quality, my choice would be finalized. After that, it will be just a question of when.

If you are thinking of modding, - I was thinking about an after market spoiler. Ladder would spoil it too much.

BTW, one more question - the underbody rear tires.. dont they get too dirty. You said you drove in rain. Any comments on that?
Old 4th April 2008, 18:52   #68
BHPian

Good Photos Lijo. The interiors look neat. Even I had the myth that Grande would be boxy but your photos changed the perception as it looks very good from the outside also.

Let us know how the ride is. Gear? braking, driving comfort, etc.
Old 4th April 2008, 20:23   #69
BHPian

Two questions come to mind after looking at the photos...
1. What is the travel of the gearlever when it is engaged in the 1st 3rd or 5th position in reference to the CD player? Can the CD be inserted and ejected comfortably in these positions?
2. Is the clutch pedal lower than the brake pedal? If so, why?
Old 4th April 2008, 22:11   #70
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Yes, it is a 2.2 but detuned to 120bhp (from the 140bhp for Safari)
The 2.2 on Safari is a VTT unit designed by AVL of Austria whereas on the Sumo Grande it is a brand new 2.2 Dicor unit , same as older Safari Dicors but lesser displacement.

But I wonder how the 2.2L Dicor pumps out 120BHP which is more the 3.0L Dicor unit.

These are just my assumptions and I may be wrong here.Will need inputs from more users.
Old 4th April 2008, 22:54   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittalnrv View Post
... on the Sumo Grande it is a brand new 2.2 Dicor unit , same as older Safari Dicors but lesser displacement....
Oh, is it! I was under the impression that both are the same engine, but detuned to suite the vehicle!
Old 4th April 2008, 23:05   #72
BHPian

Congratulations, lijodavis! Nice pictures, and an equally nice vehicle you got there. Does the GX have a defogger?

How much of a ride is the Grande going to get compared to your other vehicles?!! Unless, of course, you are not the only in the family who drives!
Old 4th April 2008, 23:40   #73
Senior - BHPian

Your photographs do justice to the proportions of this vehicle. Most of the earlier photographs as well as the ones on the websites are taken from awkward angles giving an ungainly look to it.

The mirror adjust switch is present in that location for many a car. Generally one does not need to adjust on the move.

With the third row in place one can however forget carrying any luggage. Whats the solution? Overhead carriers?
Old 5th April 2008, 00:44   #74
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Oh, is it! I was under the impression that both are the same engine, but detuned to suite the vehicle!
Well I double checked the TATA website and it just seems both carry the same 2.2 Dicor powerplant.

The Safari is equipped with VTT something similar to VGT on Verna which helps make this engine 20hp more powerful than Sumo.
Old 5th April 2008, 02:41   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittalnrv View Post
Well I double checked the TATA website and it just seems both carry the same 2.2 Dicor powerplant.

The Safari is equipped with VTT something similar to VGT on Verna which helps make this engine 20hp more powerful than Sumo.
Both have the variable geometry turbo. Its the mapping thats different.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks