Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2008, 23:53   #76
BHPian

congrats man , actually blew me away first time when i drove it , great choice , sad to see it being discontinued , are they replacing it with laura RS or what ?

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 9th July 2008 at 21:07. Reason: See note.
Old 9th July 2008, 00:03   #77
Senior - BHPian

hey dude.awesome.enjoy it.run her in carefully.change the oil before the recommended period because there are metal filings in the oil when the new engine runs in.change it at 100kms.with the recommended grade of oil.
too much oil change will never be bad.will take care of your car.this is from personal experience.

and that turbo engine needs to be kept running at idle for atleast one or two minutes before shutting off.save some money asap and get a turbo timer installed.it will enable you to keep the engine running even after taking the keys out.treat her as your girlfriend and she will give you the joys that you have never imagined.
you have a great car there.drive safe.

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 9th July 2008 at 21:07. Reason: See note.
Old 9th July 2008, 00:07   #78
BHPian

Abhinav congratulations. I am sure you would be on cloud 9 now. I am really happy for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
change it at 100kms.with the recommended grade of oil.
too much oil change will never be bad.will take care of your car.this is from personal experience.
Are you serious about this 100 kms thing?

Is this a typo? Do you mean 1000 kms?
Old 9th July 2008, 01:02   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline gtr r34 View Post
congrats man , actually blew me away first time when i drove it , great choice , sad to see it being discontinued , are they replacing it with laura RS or what ?
Laura vRs not coming anytime soon till 2010 atleast.

Quote:
hey dude.awesome.enjoy it.run her in carefully.change the oil before the recommended period because there are metal filings in the oil when the new engine runs in.change it at 100kms.with the recommended grade of oil.

and that turbo engine needs to be kept running at idle for atleast one or two minutes before shutting off.save some money asap and get a turbo timer installed.it will enable you to keep the engine running even after taking the keys out.treat her as your girlfriend and she will give you the joys that you have never imagined.
you have a great car there.drive safe.
WHat does keeping the turbo timer do exactly.
Now i have 3 girlfriends ( NHC VTEC , Skoda vRs and my actual Girlfriend )
3 times more joy!
Also is 100 true or you meant 1000km?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Abhinav congratulations. I am sure you would be on cloud 9 now. I am really happy for you.

Are you serious about this 100 kms thing?

Is this a typo? Do you mean 1000 kms?
Thanks Buddy.
Old 9th July 2008, 01:14   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

@abhinav - Congrats on the new car. I am sure he meant 1000km as that is when the car would go for its first service.
Old 9th July 2008, 07:21   #81
BHPian

All but the enthusiast will laugh at your decision to buy a discontinued variant (although the 1.8 rider still continues). But then, to knock off Rs. 1 lakh is a neat deal.

have fun
Old 9th July 2008, 08:27   #82
JRD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
29 June 2008:

11 am : Went to meet a few friends at the greater noida expressway. two of them came in the vRs , 1 in l&k , 1 in a modded baleno and me in my NHC VTEC ( Pics for the same attached)
Drove the vRs at speed of 190 kmph - Rock Solid
1 of the vRs has a shortshifter installed and the car rocks.

7 pm : Home :
Me : Dad I want to buy the vRs finally. No other
Dad : We will book the car in september but i still say wait for the corolla ) Dad loves that car

Me : I will wait till september but the vRs only

30th June 2008

10 Am : Called Up Just Dial and took the contact number for every skoda dealer in Delhi and NCR
10:30 am. Called up everyone one by one , response every time was
" Sir the vRs has been discontinued "
10:45 am: I think what to do

Realised that just dial did not send me the number for continental auto mathura road. Took the number from a friend and called them up

Sir though the vRs has been discontinued , i have a 2007 december manufactured vRs ( Red ) and its the only peice available with us.
We would be giving you a discount of 1 lakh on it.

I was a bit relieved.

11 am : Calling Dad. No Answer
11:05 am : Dad calls back. I tell him the story , he says will talk about it at night. M tensed
11:10 am : call continental auto to please wait for the next morning as i would make the decision over night

8 PM:
Dad : Why is only 1 vRs available
Me : Its production has stopped.
Dad : check the vehicle tomorrow because i doubt something is wrong with the car that they are giving 1 lakh discount
Me : Ok!

01 July 2008
12.45 Pm

Call Continental auto
Me : I am coming to see the car
Skoda : By what time sir
Me : 10 minutes
Skoda : ok sir, I will wait

1 pm.. Reach Skoda, wait for 2 minutes while he was getting the keys to the car
1:05 pm See the beauty.
I went with a brother and my driver ( a very knowledgable guys i must tell you. )
Thoroughly inspect the car.
1:20 Looks Great
1:25 Call Dad

Me : Dad car is perfect book it.
Dad : Ok but we'll book it tomorrow, tell him to wait for a day.
Me : ok

8 pm :
Dad : Buy the verna , its better
Me : No dad i want this only please , have been wanting this for a long time.
Dad : tell me your final decision in an hour.

9 : 30 pm

Me : Dad its the vRs i have decided
Call up the skoda guy on his cellphone.
Dad : How much advance do you need
Skoda : Atleast 20000
Dad : Will send you cheque of 50000 tomorrow, keep the car for me
Skoda : Sure Sir.

Me : Too Happy, Thanks Dad.
Dad : But remember no ICE till January
Me : Sad but then i can wait till january, atleast the car is coming.

02 July 2008

1 pm . call from our office accountant.
A/C : Cheque sent, loan to be cleared by tomorrow or day after , you will get the car by Friday or saturday
Me : I dont want delivery on saturday, its either Friday or sunday
A/C : Not a problem

5 pm
Call from Skoda

Skoda : Sir we have got your cheque of 50000Rs. in the name of the company, the car has to be registered in the same name .
Me : Call up my dad for that. By the way i want to activate the anti hijack feature on the skoda. When will you do that
Skoda : On the day of the delivery, i will do in front of you.
me : Thank you

So Now here I am

Its Red colour.
I am getting 25 litres free petrol, teflon coating and some more accessories.

checked every part of the car.

I am also attaching a few pics i took at the roof top of continental auto where this car was placed.

What i wanted to enquire is, I am getting the anti hijack feature activated through the VAG-COM

Is there anything else i need to get activated?

Nice dude.. congrats! one thing though did the dealer have any news on the laura rs? and how come the octavia rs is discontinued?
Old 9th July 2008, 09:22   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekji05 View Post
All but the enthusiast will laugh at your decision to buy a discontinued variant (although the 1.8 rider still continues). But then, to knock off Rs. 1 lakh is a neat deal.

have fun
Thanks Man , the people at Skoda were like , " LUCKY CHAP YOU ARE "

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD View Post
Nice dude.. congrats! one thing though did the dealer have any news on the laura rs? and how come the octavia rs is discontinued?
He said Laura vRs is not coming anytime soon. Not until 2010 atleast ( and even after that not sure)

Octavia vRs has been discontinued due to the low demand for it in comparison to deisel and for the same they have introduced the petrol ambiente over the rider (with a few goodies ) like ABS Airbags etc.
Old 9th July 2008, 09:26   #84
Senior - BHPian

well i meant 100kms only.look the thing is that when a new engine runs in.what it essentially means is that the parts accomodate each other.the tolerances with which these engines are made are quite low but as nothing is ever perfect there is certain amount of rubbing or interference.this is the reason we're not supposed to rev the engine when its new.
when these new parts rub against each other they will rub off some metal.this metal filing falles off into the oil.maximum amount of metal filings collect in the first hundred kilometers of running.hence you don't want oil with metal floating in it in your sump.right.
hence it is advisable to change the oil at 100kms.thats what i do to each car i have and believe me i have actually seen small pieces of metal in it.i even did it to my zx-12r and even in that engine there were these pieces.its an identification of a new engine.

also i would advise you to look up forums like briskoda etc. to have a look at all potential problems this turbocharged engine would face if you don't change the oil frequently or not using the recommended grade.these 1.8T engines are filled with only synthetic oil.never put normal oil in it.some people have reported engine sludging in this 1.8T engine abroad due to usage of normal oil.
this is quite a sensitive high performance engine.you have to take extra care of it.

regarding the turbo timer.well its a device that connects between your ignition key slot and the ignition of your engine.what happens is that even after your key is removed the engine keeps running.for a designated time(1 min. or 2 min.) after which it shuts off.

now to come to the issue of idling the engine before shutting it off.

well as you know this is a turbo charged engine a turbo is connected to it.now this turbo has 2 sides.one is the turbine which runs on the exhaust gas pressure and the other is the compressor which compresses the intake air.
now these are connects using a shaft which rotates on bearings.this rotation speed is very high.it gets very hot and needs lubrication.it takes lubrication from the engine using a dedicated oil pipe from the engine sump.
now when you come home after using the car the shaft is rotating and due to the rotation the oil scatters away from the shaft and bearings.
Case 1.you shut the engine then itself.the shaft is very hot.small amount of engine oil is around it.due to the heat the oil burns off and leaves a sludgy residue which jams the turbo shaft and bearings..this leads to failure of the turbo.especially when you cold start the engine.

Case 2.you idle the engine for 1 or 2 min.the rotation speed of the shaft reduces to minimum.this enables oil to flow from the sump to the turbo shaft.this huge amount of oil cools the bearings and shaft.now no damage takes place.also whatever little oil is burnt is removed by the engine oil which is flowing into the turbo.when you turn off the engine.the turbo shaft is covered with oil at all times.so when a cold start is done the shaft is already lubricated so less wear and tear takes place.

hey by the way where are the pics of the car dude.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 9th July 2008 at 09:36.
Old 9th July 2008, 09:49   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

regarding the turbo timer.well its a device that connects between your ignition key slot and the ignition of your engine.what happens is that even after your key is removed the engine keeps running.for a designated time(1 min. or 2 min.) after which it shuts off.

now to come to the issue of idling the engine before shutting it off.
Case 2.you idle the engine for 1 or 2 min.the rotation speed of the shaft reduces to minimum.this enables oil to flow from the sump to the turbo shaft.this huge amount of oil cools the bearings and shaft.now no damage takes place.also whatever little oil is burnt is removed by the engine oil which is flowing into the turbo.when you turn off the engine.the turbo shaft is covered with oil at all times.so when a cold start is done the shaft is already lubricated so less wear and tear takes place.

hey by the way where are the pics of the car dude.
Thanks For the suggestion dude
How much will a turbo timer cost me , and where can i get one.

The pics will be clicked today and uploaded in the evening
Old 9th July 2008, 10:50   #86
BHPian

hey congrats abhinav for the beast!
guess we both need to treat each other!
Old 9th July 2008, 12:48   #87
BHPian

congrats on the car
Navpreet318 great explanation of the turbo and what exactly is a turbo timer

I am pretty surprised that the manuals for the turbo vehicles don't say this and a 10L+ car does not come with a turbo timer already installed.
Old 9th July 2008, 17:14   #88
Senior - BHPian

well actually its not that specific a device.it can be ordered online at a lot of places.you can even ask petes for it.or viper performance,autopsyche and others who i can't recall right now.
get it installed from a competent installer.preferably autopsyche in delhi.
do a google on turbo timers.every component manufacturer from greddy,hks to skunk as well as some other chinese companies make it.
i'd suggest you visit forums like briskoda etc.
or you can go to petes site,go to the links there and see the sites related to your skoda RS.great info all over there.you'll learn so much about the car there.and tips to take care of it too.

automobile companies make oil change intervals such that its the basic requirement.they just want the car to run till the time the warrenty lasts.its we who love our cars and want it to last forever.i've got a santro which i've always redlined.always.i drive here to whatever limit it can be taken too.but not a single engine problem till now and she's done one lakh kilometers.all because of engineoil changes at every 5000k after the initial run up like this-100,1000,3000,5000,10000,...hence forth every 5000kms.without fail.and i've seen a lot of santros with engines being rebored at 40000kms only.
so take care of the car.change the oil in this way.100(oil+oil filter),1000,3000(oil+filter),5000,10000(oil+oil filter)...and so on at every 5000kms.
and use only synthetic oil.and change the oil regardless of fact that whether the service adviser says against it.
if your car's engine gives you trouble after the warranty the service adviser won't do anything for you.simple as that.

there is a common arguement that these people have with me is that the people who have designed the engine and service schedule are through experienced engineers and know better than me.
POINT 1:they have devised the schedule in the bare minimum way.to keep maintenance costs as low as possible.to keep the car running till the warrenty gets over.
POINT 2:those knowledgeable experienced engineers won't come to my rescue if engine trouble starts after the warranty.

hence this oil change is an insurance against engine trouble in future and miles and miles of happy driving.
Old 9th July 2008, 17:15   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
hey congrats abhinav for the beast!
guess we both need to treat each other!
Sure man.
PM me your number also. Need to talk a few things away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcanthisbe View Post
congrats on the car
Navpreet318 great explanation of the turbo and what exactly is a turbo timer

I am pretty surprised that the manuals for the turbo vehicles don't say this and a 10L+ car does not come with a turbo timer already installed.
Thanks Buddy

UPDATE : Pics are up Now !
Attached Thumbnails
Booked My Beast Finally - The Skoda Octavia 1.8vRs - NOW ARRIVED-dsc02100.jpg  

Booked My Beast Finally - The Skoda Octavia 1.8vRs - NOW ARRIVED-dsc02101.jpg  

Booked My Beast Finally - The Skoda Octavia 1.8vRs - NOW ARRIVED-dsc02104.jpg  

Booked My Beast Finally - The Skoda Octavia 1.8vRs - NOW ARRIVED-dsc02106.jpg  

Booked My Beast Finally - The Skoda Octavia 1.8vRs - NOW ARRIVED-dsc02114.jpg  

Booked My Beast Finally - The Skoda Octavia 1.8vRs - NOW ARRIVED-dsc02116.jpg  

Old 9th July 2008, 17:17   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the beast. It's my favorite car too! Just wish they hadn't discontinued yellow. I always dream of a vRS in yellow with black oz alloys

There was a time i used to have the same dream but, then it was a modified yellow lancer

Nice pictures. Btw, do you need the 0 in front of 439? I think it's ok to write your number as 439.

Last edited by mobike008 : 9th July 2008 at 17:21. Reason: Just saw the pictures

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks