Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2008, 12:15   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I remember it right [either the CnB show on NDTV [?] or the Biz India magazine] quoted 11.64 secs. It's still faster than a lot of 1.6s out there.
Yup, 11.5-11.6 seems to be the range for the G3HC. From a general perspective it might be quick but from a Honda perspective, this is the slowest City VTEC ever launched.

It's a sec off the NHC VTEC's time and 1.6 secs off the OHC VTECs time. Like ive mentioned before i think the culprit is traction, 5.46sec to 60kmph is already 1.04 secs slower than the OHC VTEC. Had they launched this car with the 195mm option, the launch could have been better. Honda has always been hopeless with their OEM tyre size options.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 23rd October 2008 at 12:16.
Old 23rd October 2008, 12:26   #182
Senior - BHPian

imho, even if some features are missing, quality not upto the mark, this honda city is gonna sell like hot cakes just like the previous generation.

there are many people who will go blindly by the name of honda only and they won't care whether for 9 lakhs they get automatic climate control or alloys as factory fitted or not.

the bottom line is, honda will lead the pack with performance numbers, great exterior styling and its traditional reliability of engines along with good fuel efficiency that should help them reach their target sales and people are gonna buy it no matter what short comings are there.
Old 23rd October 2008, 13:50   #183
BHPian

all are interested in the 0-100kmph! get real guys 0-100kmph is not everythin. this motor is more feul efficient. we guys work our A** off to squeeze a mile out of the last drop of gasoline!!

so lets leave the OHC out of this. those times feul was not that costly. and OEMs were ok with the consumption available.

but now thats not the case. we get new reQ. now and then asking us to rework the injection to get more mileage!!( no issues with diesel except for lowering the noise still further!)

the thing here is we now have a compromising solution between power and feul consumption.

so get real and realise that Honda city is not about pure Race performance its for the new age definition of class leading power and equally attractive feul consumption ok.

chill out
sameel
Old 23rd October 2008, 14:04   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameel View Post
all are interested in the 0-100kmph! get real guys 0-100kmph is not everythin. this motor is more feul efficient. we guys work our A** off to squeeze a mile out of the last drop of gasoline!!
Well you wouldn't want a vehicle with a 0-100 figure of 18 seconds would you ? In our kind of driving, the 0-100 figures do matter if the difference is very large, not if it's a minor 1 sec difference, it's the skill of the driver that would take play here.
In other words, personally speaking a 0-100 figure of 11.5 seconds and a 0-100 figure of 12.25 seconds wouldn't really make a great difference unless a person is a track racer, for us everyday drivers it would be the skill that would ensure you can keep your vehicle ahead of another (if you are in a road debate), but well if the difference is large (for eg: 18sec) that would make a difference.
Old 23rd October 2008, 14:19   #185
BHPian

yes my point exactly its just a sec difference from the old NHC vtec and 1.6 secs from OHC Vtec so why all this harakiri?? dont bother to think of this as bad. since it gives more mileage than its previous avatars

its the driver that counts. but yeah torque is also needed which is not the forte of a petrol anyways..lolz
Old 23rd October 2008, 14:32   #186
BHPian

Any idea of the FE figures for the ANHC?
Any formal or informal figures from Honda?
Old 23rd October 2008, 14:36   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
Any idea of the FE figures for the ANHC?
Any formal or informal figures from Honda?
Looks like the Journo's invited for the launch were asked not to to say anything on the FE. Even the "what car" October issue has the ANHC figured in it and also looks like they took part in the same launch, they have all other figures in it but not a word on the FE :-)
Looks to be a taped mouth promise that Honda's taken from them.

Last edited by autoenthusiast : 23rd October 2008 at 14:37. Reason: corrected grammatical mistake
Old 23rd October 2008, 14:44   #188
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Vivek for the wonderful review. This seems to be another winner from Honda...
Old 23rd October 2008, 17:16   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
In our kind of driving, the 0-100 figures do matter if the difference is very large, not if it's a minor 1 sec difference
It is not 0-100 that makes a lot of difference in our kind of driving. It is mostly 0-80 that matters, in city as well as on highway.
Old 23rd October 2008, 18:46   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
It is not 0-100 that makes a lot of difference in our kind of driving. It is mostly 0-80 that matters, in city as well as on highway.
Well depends where you'd like to look at it, in City or on Highway. I do drive on the GQ often and a speed of 80kmph is impossible to maintain on that road, unless you want to drive in the extreme left lane on the sides, most of everyone is at a much higher speed and the way I look at it, you go with the flow or the flow goes over you. Driving at a much lower speed on a highway is a recipe for disaster, so is driving at too high a speed btw. But nowadays speed of 100kmph - 120 kmph are very often normal on these roads, and safe too if you are a good driver.
Eitherways the point I was trying to make is that for our kind of driving a 1sec difference is not too great a difference and the skill of the driver is what will matter. It's a larger difference ~6 seconds that will really hinder you.
Old 23rd October 2008, 19:18   #191
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Come'on people
0-100, 0-80 nothing matters [literally speaking]

These figures are just indicators of what the engine is capable of, and that is what really matters.

I would say, even a 1.5sec delay in the 0-100 timing changes a lot, its not about how quick you'll touch 100, but about how the engine would be willing to perform at any point of time.

Also, this figure decides how much of the engine's effort would go in everytime you need to accelerate to a high speed.

A faster machine would be capable of serving you better/effortlessly.

No one does 0-100 regularly by redlining the engine, so its a relative comparison.

0-100 may not be the only thing in judging a car's performance, but considering all the other factors in isolation [one-by-one], this one is the single most indicative factor of a car's performance.

Quote:
Eitherways the point I was trying to make is that for our kind of driving a 1sec difference is not too great a difference and the skill of the driver is what will matter. It's a larger difference ~6 seconds that will really hinder you.
The 5 gear 800 does 100 in 18secs, you know how much it matters.

The WagonR does 100 in 14.50-15.00secs, only 3.5secs slower than this vtec! But you know the difference.

Last edited by SLK : 23rd October 2008 at 19:21.
Old 23rd October 2008, 19:34   #192
Senior - BHPian

In whichever way we look, are we not talking about Honda city, only a honda city. I was all hyped with the details mentioned here about it, and when it was seen with my own eyes, I really had to stop me from saying YUCK!! It is a car dangerously close to 10lacs, and the interiors are so shoddy. Do we really have to overlook all those since we love Honda? I say that owning a civic and this city never inspires.
Old 23rd October 2008, 20:36   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
0-100 may not be the only thing in judging a car's performance, but considering all the other factors in isolation [one-by-one], this one is the single most indicative factor of a car's performance.
Exactly. Even when you hear the word Bugatti Veyron, Ferrari Enzo or Mclaren F1 the only 2 performance figs that pop up in your mind are 0-100 and top speed. Off late theres been another addition to this list called "nurburgring lap time".

We all know that nurburgring is just one track out of the thousands that exist and if a car is quicker around it doesn't mean it'l be quicker on all the other tracks, but theres anlways that craze to see what a car can do wrt specific performance targets.

The same thing goes for the 1/4 mile. Theres nothing magical about the 400 meter nor does it tell you anything about a cars overall performance, but its still one of the most widely used benchmark.

Shan2nu
Old 23rd October 2008, 20:52   #194
BHPian

Quote:
a speed of 80kmph is impossible to maintain on that road
I didn't mean to say that 80kmph should be the top speed limit of the car. I wouldn't mind the car accelerating a little slower from 80 onwards. In general in Indian highways, we experience some or other slow moving vehicles and crossings for which we sometimes have to come to a halting speed many times. If the acceleration to 80 is good, your average speed for the journey will be close to that provided road is good and the hurdles are cleared soon. Even if the car does 200 Kmph or not, in India the average speed is always going to be less than 80 most of the times. If the car wouldn't accelerate to 80 quickly you lose out a lot of time on those hurdles.
Old 23rd October 2008, 20:52   #195
Senior - BHPian

Isn't it more logical to spend around 1.5 lacs more and buy an Altis which has more features instead of ANHC!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks