Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2008, 16:33   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekji05 View Post
Guess what the automatics were taken through a FE run by some journos (before i arrived) and the FEs people got were 21.4kmpl, 20.3kmpl and 19kmpl. The one who got 19kmpl while reported to be doing an average speed of 110kmph while all others were at 75kmph. It's pretty fuel efficient.
I think we have to wait for few months to see these numbers coming down and settling somewhere around 16kmpl for highway and 12kmpl for city! :-) What else can be said for making people buy a petrol car compared to more economic diesel counterparts. The numbers were similar when the outgoing generation of City was launched (IDSI touted to be the fuel efficient wonderkid)

Last edited by LandCruiser : 10th October 2008 at 16:34.
Old 10th October 2008, 17:26   #137
BHPian

Going by recent noises from the petroleum ministry the diesel economic advantage for private vehicles is not going to around much longer, the minister recently announced his team is working on developing a system to ensure subsidies are not used by private luxury car owners.

So for a medium-long term perspective it doesn't make sense to calculate on the basis of current subsidized diesel prices which could go any time. Of course one can take a chance and those who like the torque will go for for diesel but its usually the diesel subsidy that's swings the decision.
Old 10th October 2008, 18:10   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi,

The 3GHC automatic uses CVT (like the outgoing NHC CVT) or the Torque Converter based gearbox (like the Civic)?

Any technical info will be really appreciated.
Old 10th October 2008, 18:20   #139
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Hi,

The 3GHC automatic uses CVT (like the outgoing NHC CVT) or the Torque Converter based gearbox (like the Civic)?

Any technical info will be really appreciated.
G3HC uses torque converter for the automatic gear change mechanism.
Old 10th October 2008, 18:40   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
I think we have to wait for few months to see these numbers coming down and settling somewhere around 16kmpl for highway and 12kmpl for city! :-) What else can be said for making people buy a petrol car compared to more economic diesel counterparts. The numbers were similar when the outgoing generation of City was launched (IDSI touted to be the fuel efficient wonderkid)
That figures are not to be swallowed as such. I would say 15kmpl is pretty decent and easily achievable. Wait for the full road test of the car soon
Old 10th October 2008, 19:57   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
G3HC uses torque converter for the automatic gear change mechanism.
So Honda is doing away with CVT (in transmission technology) and i-DSI (in engine technology)...

I thought CVT was the way forward as it does not deploy torque converter which is a lossy coupling!
Old 10th October 2008, 21:01   #142
Senior - BHPian

CVT can be coupled with either a wet clutch or T/C. T/C is less jerky than wet clutch.

There is still some confusion on the transmission front. The temple of VTEC link mentions a CVT with Torque converter, but the press material says 5 speed. For Europe the Fit is offered with AMT.
Old 11th October 2008, 15:11   #143
BHPian

Love this car... and especially the Rear. Somehow the sharp edges on the rear gives the feeling of a beemer.

Great pics and Awesome review.

Last edited by herculesksp : 11th October 2008 at 15:21.
Old 11th October 2008, 15:20   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
Hahaha, and then Honda service engineers will claim "Sir the mileage is low right now since the car has to run-in well, check the figures after you finish the second free servicing, the mileage will definitely improve"

I honestly don't expect the car to give more than 12 kmpl +/- 1kmpl in city (a city with traffic conditions like Pune)
Old 11th October 2008, 19:26   #145
BHPian

Thanks for the drive report it was great. i plan to buy the automatic version but i am concerned about the ground clearence like the old honda city which i own. is there still a problem with speed breakers in this newcity?

Well said Mate.i think the mielage you suggested would be practical in real world driving conditions.

Mod's Note: Please do not make back to back posts. Try to answer everyone at one go. Use the Multiquote button when you do so.

Posts merged.
Old 12th October 2008, 01:05   #146
BHPian

Wonderful review. You have paid full attention to the smallest details. Wish the car shows on TV and articles in papers could learn something from this. Well shot pictures too.

I personally think, this City will kill the competition. 116PS with the FE even near of what you mentioned, could be one deadly combination; leave alone its killer looks. I just couldnt get one thing. Why the hell no 'cd' player. If they could include USB connectivity, why not CD? How many people are going to rip songs from a cd everytime they want to hear something in their car?
Old 13th October 2008, 14:50   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Look up the results for the HOnda Fit/Jazz. Should be the same at least for front and side but not rear impact. Dont think the sedan will be sold in the west.
The front may be similar but definitely not the side. The Fit/Jazz in America has side and curtain airbags. Also, according to the link below, Europe will also receive a version with six airbags, five 3-point belts, five head restraints, as well as other features:

2009 Honda City set to hit the European market
Old 13th October 2008, 15:28   #148
Senior - BHPian

Honda should have included the auto air-con in the 9+lac package! The knobs of the present manual one in ANHC look so toyish!!! The supposedly advanced music system and the air con controls are so stupid looking in an otherwise very very good looking package :(
Old 13th October 2008, 16:55   #149
BHPian

Add some nice alloys and wider tyre. That itself pushes the price pretty much upward. Adding another CD player and fog lamp (if possible) would push it further. Well, it is more of a junior Civic than an upgraded City. So, we cannot complain too much about the price.
Old 14th October 2008, 09:11   #150
BHPian

Vivek,

First of all, a stunning effort. Congratulations!

A couple of Q's:
1. What did you think of the HVAC efficacy?
2. Does Civic also squat on the rear when fully loaded? Or was it more in the case of City? From the pics, it didnt appear to be bad.
3. A big one: The OTR S M/T or A/T is going to be around 10-11 L in Bangalore/Kerala. And then one must do the alloys and tyres bit for sure. And may be a bit of interiors to patch up those Loganish door panels, ICE etc. So does it make sense to stretch and get the cheapest Civic (or may be the xheapest Altis)?

I presume the difference is about 2L and may be 3. But there is a world of difference between the two interiors (an aircraft cockpit vs. something less ergonomic) plus the overall quality. The equipment levels are way above City's. And Altis offers comparable FE to that of the City (when City meets real conditions that is). And indeed, if you had driven the Civic , there is no "struggle" to get to 120 kmph from 100! And there are no exposed "silver nuts" and so on...I'm confused a bit. What is your honest opinion?

Others: What do you think?

BH.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks