Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2008, 20:49   #46
BHPian

Update on further experience -

Ever since I bought the truck, I've been driving mostly under 2k rpm and under 60 k/h. Reads 950 on the odo. Oof, can't wait to get over with the run-in period and the first service...and then I'll be off (God willing) to the North (read hills, mountains, paradise).

Many of my colleagues at work have asked me, "Oye, badi gaadi. Itni badi gaadi mein akele?" So I tell them, "Only one person can drive at any given moment, so I'm afraid I'll be the only one." Some don't get my joke and just don't know what to say. Many have congratulated me on the new set of wheels but I see a slight tinge of green in the eyes of some when they look at the giant. I try to play it down telling them I have a loan to pay back for this vehicle, and that it is the only vehicle I've got unlike they who keep two hatches at home. They smile and ease off.

Experience update
As soon as the first advice came in, I began applying the clutch before turning the ignition. The first and second gears feel a little harsh (the applying part, that is) but I guess it will get more comfortable after the first service. After that, need only gradually lift the foot off the clutch and the truck lunges forward eagerly. Enough has already been said about the Safari's pulling power on other threads, so will not add much. Suffice to say that for the size and weight that the truck has, the acceleration is awesome.

The steering wheel rests comfortably in front; tilting it down will make it more comfy I guess but will interfere with the visual of the odo panel. The seat is comfortable with ample space all around. I've pulled up the lumbar support lever but haven't felt much difference except a slight (very slight) lump behind my lower back. Is that all what it's supposed to do? The armrest needs straightening up a bit and the seat belt 'chioon' sound needs fixing up (at the point where it is attached to the B pillar) - awaiting first service.

The ride is superb, extremely comfortable, and potholes, if any, are gobbled up easily. The truck responds predictibly to every start, turn and stop. The engine sound is beginning to smoothen up more quickly after every change of gear than when the truck was new. Slight hissing sound on full turn of the wheels is noticed. The feel on the foot levers is normal, no jerking back or anything. No 'krr' or 'khat' sound heard until now (touch wood!).

Taking a u-turn is easy on clean roads. With traffic, I'm afraid the others have to wait but they do wait. Nobody complained so far while I'm negotiating a u-turn; they wait patiently. Reversing is not that bad but I do certainly need either the sensors or the camera. I must say the electrical operation of ORVMs is a much appreciated feature; no more taking off the seat belt and stretching all the way to the other side to do the needful.

The second-row seat can comfortably seat four slim-size adults (hard to find these days!!) and can most certainly give enough room to three well-fed adults even if they have a habit of moving their arms around while talking. I haven't had a chance of sitting in the rear seat as I'm always the one who does the driving, therefore cannot comment first-hand on the comfort it provides, but others who have sat there have given a thumbs-up to the three rooms (leg, head and shoulder).

It may be just me but I find that there isn't enough space to keep the various knick-knacks that one accummulates during travel. All cubby holes in my previous cars were getting utilized to the fullest extent - that is what I find lacking in the Safari. However, I'm now beginning to use the map pocket that remained unutilized in my previous cars, so I guess that balances it. I'm also looking forward to getting a seatback organiser (or I'll use my old-time NIIT bag) to put all the big things in there, like the toolkit pouch, the first-aid kit and any other stuff that I might find necessary to keep in the truck (suggestions are welcome!)

I'm also now seriously debating between getting sensors or reverse camera, as I'm so so inclined towards getting a rear guard and I know it will interfere with the camera vision. Or, shall I get that mirror that juts out at an angle from behind the rear windscreen, though to be honest I haven't seen many of them on Safaris.

The other thing is that when the vehicle is in third gear, the stick interferes with the operation of the ICE, so I'd say not too great ergonomics there, but then that's what remotes were invented for, right? But where in the world is the antenna in the Safari, please guide me. The FM reception is not too clear.

Last, but definitely not the least, can someone please suggest a good Tata service workshop in Delhi? I don't mind travelling far as long as I am satisfied with the 'service' and the staff are polite, listen well and do what is best for a vehicle like Safari.
Old 7th December 2008, 21:17   #47
BHPian

Good crisp review

Quote:
The other thing is that when the vehicle is in third gear, the stick interferes with the operation of the ICE, so I'd say not too great ergonomics there, but then that's what remotes were invented for, right? But where in the world is the antenna in the Safari, please guide me. The FM reception is not too clear.
Yes ergonomically the third gear is not too well placed and it does hinder with the audio operation. As for as the antenna - its a long metal strip attached to your rear view mirror holder going parallel with windscreen area.
Old 7th December 2008, 23:22   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkdelhi View Post

I'm also now seriously debating between getting sensors or reverse camera, as I'm so so inclined towards getting a rear guard and I know it will interfere with the camera vision. Or, shall I get that mirror that juts out at an angle from behind the rear windscreen, though to be honest I haven't seen many of them on Safaris.
a great review sir, very precise and balanced.
about the sensors or camera, i would suggest the sensors. sensors are good for tight parking lots and camera is good for reversing when you cant see the road surface. but sensors are much more accurate and more helpful than the fish-eye/wide focal lens the reverse camera uses. sensors will accurately tell you when to stop.
if you want, you can even opt for both!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 7th December 2008 at 23:23.
Old 8th December 2008, 10:19   #49
BHPian

Quote:
But where in the world is the antenna in the Safari, please guide me. The FM reception is not too clear.
It's a horizontal strip behind the rear view mirror, with its ends stuck to the laminated portion(not sure of the exact name) of the windscreen. Indica owners can spot them with their eyes closed too, i guess.. hehe. Just kidding.
By the way, the antenna does it job pretty well in ours. You can get the antenna socket examined, i guess.
Old 8th December 2008, 10:44   #50
BHPian

hey how is getting in and out of truck like. for you and for let say the older generation.??

and how is the braking?

the great thing about safari is the respect if commands on the road. i dont know about others but when people see a safari lolz. they just stop and let it pass first.

is amazing. i saw a 2 bus and a truck and honda accord stopping for a safari to take a u turn at a signal lolz amazing,
Old 8th December 2008, 23:06   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonov
As for as the antenna - its a long metal strip attached to your rear view mirror holder going parallel with windscreen area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath
It's a horizontal strip behind the rear view mirror, with its ends stuck to the laminated portion(not sure of the exact name) of the windscreen.
Hmmm...will check it out. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004
a great review sir, very precise and balanced.
about the sensors or camera, i would suggest the sensors. sensors are good for tight parking lots and camera is good for reversing when you cant see the road surface. but sensors are much more accurate and more helpful than the fish-eye/wide focal lens the reverse camera uses. sensors will accurately tell you when to stop.
if you want, you can even opt for both!
Thank you, and must say a precise and balanced response from you too...really well appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo
hey how is getting in and out of truck like. for you and for let say the older generation.??

and how is the braking?
There's the footstep that makes it easier to get on or out of the truck. And then, there're handle-bars to latch on to for support on both rear doors and the tail-gate. No worries at all for older gen people.

The braking is more than adequate.
Old 9th December 2008, 09:39   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Ever since I bought the truck, I've been driving mostly under 2k rpm and under 60 k/h. Reads 950 on the odo. Oof, can't wait to get over with the run-in period and the first service...and then I'll be off (God willing) to the North (read hills, mountains, paradise).

The wait can really get to you. I took mine on a ~2000 Kms long drive almost immediately after purchase. And having to drive the initial mileage till the 1st service under running in conditions really tested my patience. Especially when you are on the highways.

Quote:
The steering wheel rests comfortably in front; tilting it down will make it more comfy I guess but will interfere with the visual of the odo panel. The seat is comfortable with ample space all around. I've pulled up the lumbar support lever but haven't felt much difference except a slight (very slight) lump behind my lower back. Is that all what it's supposed to do? The armrest needs straightening up a bit and the seat belt 'chioon' sound needs fixing up (at the point where it is attached to the B pillar) - awaiting first service.
You will realise the value of the lumbar support on long drives. You dont notice the effect on the same within the city as much.

Quote:
If budget is not an issue, do not get the window that juts out in the rear.

I have gotten myself the red soul kit which has four sensors and one camera. It gives distance measurement from the sensors, warning beep and also an indication of which sensor is the closest to an object. This is the first time I have seen or used such a thing on any of the vehicles I have driven. Althought I installed this to make reversing easier for my wife, I have become equally dependent on it for the Safari.

Raj is right when he says the sensors are very useful in tight parking conditions. And that the camera by itself does not give a good idea of the distance to an object.
However, on long dusty drives or in drives through heavy rains the sensors get covered with muck and dirt resulting in false alarms and inaccurate distance measures. All it takes is just immediate wiping. But who is going to get out to do that then and thats exactly when the camera becomes useful.
Given the safari's huge rear blind spot, the camera gives a good indication of the road condition behind. And with bangalore being the baby boom as well as dog capital of the country, it's useful for me.
Finally, in tight parking conditions, I prefer seeing whats behind in addition to just being guided by the sensors.

Best of luck in your search for a service centre that you are comfortable with. And happy truckin
cheers:
Old 9th December 2008, 10:41   #53
Senior - BHPian

what daius said is right. 4 sensors and 1 camera is very good although they clutter the bumper!
but do sensors really give false indication when covered with muck? i have not faced such an issue in my scorpio and innova. once in the rain, a wet leaf got stuck on one of the sensors and it was showing a false alarm.
but such things can happen with the camera too! the leaf or muck will simply block the vision.
Old 9th December 2008, 16:39   #54
BHPian

I personally use just a camera without sensors. I agree that the camera does not give a good sense of distance to start with but you do get used to it and I can judge distances while reversing fairly accurately now. I did not opt for the sensors as that really clutter the bumper. Also as daius pitar has pointed out, very often while reversing out backwards onto a busy road, you will need to see what's behind you and the sensors dont really help you there. So I prefer the camera.
Old 9th December 2008, 20:02   #55
BHPian

Congrats on the new ride dude, welcome to club Safari!
Looks good in Arctic silver, glad you managed to get your pics posted quicker than me, you must be nearing your first service, it seems Tata have ironed out most of the niggling faults, from last years launch of the 2.2.

Enjoy,

Stefan
Old 11th December 2008, 23:02   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiusPitar View Post
I have gotten myself the red soul kit which has four sensors and one camera. It gives distance measurement from the sensors, warning beep and also an indication of which sensor is the closest to an object. This is the first time I have seen or used such a thing on any of the vehicles I have driven. Althought I installed this to make reversing easier for my wife, I have become equally dependent on it for the Safari.
Can you tell me:
1) How much does red soul cost?
2) Is the entire wiring of this kit 'independent' of the wiring of the vehicle?
3) How and where is the output produced? I mean, do you see the response from sensors and camera at the same time on the LCD? Or can you control the output? Can this same LCD be connected to the existing HU in the vehicle?
4) Does red soul has its own LCD, or will any LCD fit in with the kit?

Delhi-NCR Bhpians: Any trusted dealership service centre for Safari? How's Autolinks?
Old 12th December 2008, 00:11   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nothing will happen. At the most your stepney will hit something - whatever it hits will be damaged, not the stepney cover.

In the meantime you will soon get used to reversing without any electronic assistance. Please dont put that stupid mirror on the rear windscreen - I hate to say this, but your Safari will end up looking like a Scorpio with all those extra fittings. Just leave the truck as it is. Max, do yourself a favour and get a 3.0 stepney cover - the 2.2 sparewheel cover sucks BIG time. It looks totally ugly and idiotic - I've decided to retain my grille and sparewheel cover if I ever upgrade.
Old 12th December 2008, 00:15   #58
Team-BHP Support

That mirror on tailgate does not work with safari, because of the spare wheel.
So the best option is a reverse camera. Esp in city, sometimes small cars and bikes are not visible, and you can hit.
With the reverse camera its so easy!
Old 12th December 2008, 15:20   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Nothing will happen. At the most your stepney will hit something - whatever it hits will be damaged, not the stepney cover.

but your Safari will end up looking like a Scorpio with all those extra fittings. Just leave the truck as it is. Max, do yourself a favour and get a 3.0 stepney cover - the 2.2 sparewheel cover sucks BIG time. It looks totally ugly and idiotic - I've decided to retain my grille and sparewheel cover if I ever upgrade.
phew!
dude, i would suggest you get yourself a camera or the sensors as nobody will pay you in case the cover breaks while reversing... its plastic fibre after all, not cast iron!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 12th December 2008 at 15:31.
Old 12th December 2008, 17:21   #60
BANNED

Quote:
Ever since I bought the truck, I've been driving mostly under 2k rpm and under 60 k/h.

The second-row seat can comfortably seat four slim-size adults (hard to find these days!!) and can most certainly give enough room to three well-fed adults even if they have a habit of moving their arms around while talking.

It may be just me but I find that there isn't enough space to keep the various knick-knacks that one accummulates during travel.
Nice. I can understand under 2K rpm but why 60 kph?
The second row is very comfortable BUT the middle seat is not the greatest as the base of the arm rest forms the backrest & is quite hard.
No, it's not just you - the Safari does lack space to keep small stuff - to my satisfaction.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks