Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2009, 22:03   #196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
PSI motorsport's website shows that there are 2 models for the PSI box.
1.4 TDCi 50kW 68 HP (5G) 2002
1.4 TDCi 50kW 68 HP (5GA) 2002
One with 5G and the other with 5GA. So which is the engine model for the Ikon/Fiesta sold here?Is the Ikon's engine the SIEMENS version or the BOSCH version?
I think its SIEMENS piezo system but not sure. Email Psi for a conformation. Check to see if you have any Siemens or Bosch labels on your ECU and injectors.
Old 7th March 2009, 13:40   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Is the Ikon's engine the SIEMENS version or the BOSCH version?

I plan to buy one from one of these guys, because the Petes box seems overpriced at > 40k.
Neither. If I'm not mistaken, the Ikon/Fiesta TDCi uses a Delphi Common Rail, not Bosch. Its a Peugeot engine that is also used by Citroen and Ford (for Euro markets).
Old 7th March 2009, 23:52   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Neither. If I'm not mistaken, the Ikon/Fiesta TDCi uses a Delphi Common Rail, not Bosch. Its a Peugeot engine that is also used by Citroen and Ford (for Euro markets).
Thanks Steer. Are powerboxes different for different injectors?
Old 8th March 2009, 19:19   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I think its SIEMENS piezo system but not sure. Email Psi for a conformation. Check to see if you have any Siemens or Bosch labels on your ECU and injectors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
TDCi is Ford's Common Rail brand name. The 1.8 Duratorq in the Mondeo wasnt labelled TDCi though it was a Turbocharged Direct Injection - it was part of Ford's Puma series of engines that followed the rather antique Endura series. Great smooth engine but it had far too many issues - wasnt what you might call a reliable engine. HOpefully the TDCi will do better - at least its a Peuguot engine.

See here:

http://www.india.ford.com/servlet/Co...cs_temp&c=Page

http://www.india.ford.com/servlet/Co...ty_Temp&c=Page

The 1.4 TDCi is called the DV4

Wikipedia's response for a Ford Duratorq 1.4 TDCi search:
Ford Duratorq engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Duratorq DV4 (named the HDI 1.4 L by PSA, TED4 by Citroën, and Duratorq TDCI 1.4 L by Ford, and also called DLD-414) is a 1.4 L straight-4 turbo-Diesel. Output is 50 kW (67 hp) at 4500 rpm and 160 N·m (117 ft·lbf) at 2000 rpm.

The DV4 uses a Borg-Warner KP35 turbocharger but no intercooler. This is the same turbocharger as the Renault K9K Diesel. It is EURO3 compliant. It also uses Delphi Automotive's DCR1400 common-rail injection system.

Applications:

* Peugeot 206
* Citroën C3
* Ford Fiesta
I think it is a DELPHI system.

Now I need to know if the Fiesta's/Ikon's engine is the

1.4 TDCi 50kW 68 HP (5G) 2002
OR
1.4 TDCi 50kW 68 HP (5GA) 2002
Old 11th March 2009, 21:17   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Mpower : Check to see if you have any Siemens or Bosch labels on your ECU and injectors.
@Mpower, that was easy .
Ford Ikon TDCi Test Drive Report-ikon-ecu-siemens.jpg
Old 11th March 2009, 21:26   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Mpower, that was easy .
Attachment 110552
Wow Condor, I don't know how to thank you! Thank you soooo much.

Used up my 2 smileys. lol

I was struggling to find out if it was Siemens or Delphi but I know for a fact now thanks to you. Now to get a good tuning box for the Ikon...
Old 11th March 2009, 21:33   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

@Proxima : actually, thanks to Mpower ..

You should also have the same one - but do check once on your car, just in case it has a different make. ECU's left of the battery. The label's very visible.
Old 11th March 2009, 21:45   #203
BHPian

Quote:
@Proxima : actually, thanks to Mpower ..

You should also have the same one - but do check once on your car, just in case it has a different make. ECU's left of the battery. The label's very visible.
Good idea. I'll check it out. I tried looking for it but didn't know where to look. I'll look to the left of the battery tomorrow morning.
Old 30th May 2009, 16:33   #204
BHPian

I drove the TDCi last week - Paprika Red, 10,000kms already on the clock. The clatter was definitely noticeable at idle and on the road at low speeds. Noise was better in the mid-ranges and was back with a bang at 80+kmph. I only took it up to 100kmph by which time I ran out of road.

What I loved:
1. The linear way in which the engine pulls in any gear. Seriously could not tell it was a turbo-diesel! There is enough torque available in every gear for city driving and quick overtakes. (Definitely muuuch more than my Indica DLS :P )
2. Great steering wheel and driving stance. Very sporty - as all iKons have been over the years.
3. Fresh interior looks - the biege look.
4. Great handling. This is after all the ikon!

What I did not appreciate:
1. The clatter at idle and in the beginning. (Of course, my good ole Indica will make the TDCi sound like a electric-engined car. )
2. The quality of the door trims could have been better, feel was a bit cheap.
3. Very sudden braking on this TD model. No idea why, hope it was only with this car. Its exactly like another member posted - like an on/off switch. The sales guy kept lurching forward in the passenger seat even on light braking! Anyone else facing this issue?

I drove this in the night for only 20 mins (was late for dinner) so I can't really say much for the exteriors. I am sold on this car though. The way the engine behaves at moderate speeds (which is 80% of our driving) is enough reason to buy it! Its tractable, feels solid and is great VFM.

Going to drive a Ritz diesel, i20 petrol, Vista Diesel today or tomorrow. But I don't see myself choosing another car - am emotionally attached to this car!! Will definitely take another TD to closely understand: gearstick vibrations, clutch feel, rear-seat comfort etc.

A few queries:
1. How much would a good set of 14" alloys (preferably black/silver) cost?
2. Cost of tire upgrades? (185/60 - including sellback of stock wheels and tires)
3. Any headlamp mods possible? (white-light! - I know projectors will be difficult with the new units)
4. Pete's box for the Fiesta's engine. Does it drastically alter NVH characteristics and mileage?

Thanks a ton!
Payne
Old 4th June 2009, 23:08   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
d_payne : The sales guy kept lurching forward in the passenger seat even on light braking! Anyone else facing this issue?
No, not seen atall.

Your observations are pretty much what I have seen during these 3500+ km of driving this car. I had forgotten about the gear lever vibrations that some people had complained about .. let me check for it again tomorrow.

Alloys : about 3.5 - 4k each ?
Tires : 3.3 k each., approx ?
Stock tire buy-back : you have to check with your dealer.

If you are going for this car, definitely upgrade the rubber.
Quote:
d_payne : 4. Pete's box for the Fiesta's engine. Does it drastically alter NVH characteristics and mileage?
What makes you think a Pete's box can even alter NVH characteristics of the car ?
Old 4th June 2009, 23:29   #206
BHPian

Quote:
What makes you think a Pete's box can even alter NVH characteristics of the car ?
Nothing at all. I know its an ECU remap, but being a newbie to Pete's box I just found it a bit amazing that a silent upgrade can give such an amazing boost in power. Newbie to car mods as well. So please to excuse.

Am still not decided on the car yet, a pre-owned Cedia seems like a very good option for my purpose so still hanging in the balance while I check out some examples I am.

Here's my What Car? thread.

Thanks!
Payne
Old 5th June 2009, 10:34   #207
Team-BHP Support

Payne, you have your observations spot on with what a lot of others have also commented upon during their TDs.

As for the braking, as compared to the braking on the previous model of the Ikon, it has been improved, but the bite is sure felt. I felt the same as well, and managed to brake hard on a couple of occassions, whereas the same would not have been so abrupt on my car. I feel its just a matter of getting used to - the braking characteristics, i mean.

As for the interior trims, they may not be beautiful, but they're durable.
Old 5th June 2009, 11:02   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Went searching for the gear lever vibrations : it is there, but I am that oblivious to it now.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks