Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2009, 12:50   #16
BHPian

i20 Asta comes with 185/65 R14 Accelere on alloys here. The export models are fitted with 185/60 R15 and 195/50 R16 ones.

Will it be a good idea to consider upgrading the tyres to 185/60 R15?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameel View Post
i magine a situation like this for example:-

bought a car but you are spooked to give it back to service centre for service or for damage or for any issue what so ever - this would be the situation for a LINEA buyer( FIAT customers in genral)

the next situation is like this.
for even any small issue you just keep running to service centre - you are a Hyundai customer

i have seen it.

the sales manager who was the one most involved in getting me the verna himself has a palio 1.9D he told me of this scenario

should i say more??

budget alone is not enough! you should have the bank balance to maintain it. and then the patience. the former comes into play when you buy a skoda !! or a benz used car! for FIAT the latter comes into play!!
This was one of the important point for me to consider even though my budget was up to 10 lacs (it was 15 lacs 6 months back, thanks to the meltdown!). I have owned two Hyundais already and dont mind more considering my experience with its reliability and after sales service. Another factor which helps me is that both Hyundai and Fiat dealers are within 1-2 kms from my home. Of course there is a world of difference between the experience in both showrooms.

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th February 2009 at 01:45. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.
Old 22nd January 2009, 13:01   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
i20 Asta comes with 185/65 R14 Accelere on alloys here. The export models are fitted with 185/60 R15 and 195/50 R16 ones.

Will it be a good idea to consider upgrading the tyres to 185/60 R15?
Well for the 1.2 engine i believe the Asta is adequately tyred, still since the contact patch (185) would remain the same, the upgrade to 185/60 R15 could be done. The diffrence in handling would not be much though the ride may become a tad harder. However 15 would look better and you would have much more options with the Alloy design

Though i wonder if tyres are availaible in 185/60 size.

195/50 is a strict nono!

Elito

Last edited by Elito11 : 22nd January 2009 at 13:07.
Old 22nd January 2009, 16:03   #18
BHPian

Dumb question:

Why are we talking about Fiat Linea? Should not the i20 be compared to the Palio or Vista the up and coming Grande Punto ?

if you talk Linea then we should compare with Verna?
Old 22nd January 2009, 16:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Appuchan
congrats to start with. i think the title of the thread can be safely modified to read as " FIRST I20 IN TBHP ! " - since i dont see any other such thread

you made the right choice and the reasoning looks logical given your requirements and what is on offer from the ANHC and Linea

i especially liked the bit about the ANHC being just a good engine in a car which reeks of cost cutting

this is a very important comment because on one hand the i20 represents a new breed of cars which do full justice to interiors/safety kit etc and has probably bee offered with a "decent" engine and not a really powerful one

the ANHC does ALMOST exactly the opposite

and I think we need more cars like i20 because I am quite sure majority of the car buying public does not care for VTEC/IVTEC/VVTI/ etc etc

what they want is acceptable performance but good features otherwise
Old 22nd January 2009, 16:39   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameel View Post
i magine a situation like this for example:-

bought a car but you are spooked to give it back to service centre for service or for damage or for any issue what so ever - this would be the situation for a LINEA buyer( FIAT customers in genral)

the next situation is like this.
for even any small issue you just keep running to service centre - you are a Hyundai customer
LOL! that's true. I've been making at least 2-revisits when I used to leave my car (Accent) for service at Hyundai Motor Plaza (ekaduthaangal) or Kun Hyundai (Adyar). But now, since I did the last service with Electra, and it's been 2 weeks since then, there didn't arise a need to visit them again. So far so good. I'm damn sure that my next car may not be a Hyundai

@Elito11 - I think that in Chennai, Linea Active is 6.02 lacs ex-showroom, so OTR may be 6.4?!
Old 22nd January 2009, 17:05   #21
BHPian

6.6 Lacs on road for a 1.2L engine, thats price is too high for me ... I will defnitely prefer a Ford Fiesta Or a Swift Dzire any day ...
Old 22nd January 2009, 17:11   #22
BHPian

Congratulations appuchan for your new ride. What color did you get? Do post the Pics of Interior in good light and resolution. Do keep us posted with your experience of the car. Even am looking forward to buying this car after launch of GP. Please do answer my following questions in detail.
1. How is the Ride quality Is it like i10 or getz? Or Better than both?
2. How are the front seats in comparison with i10, getz?
3. How is the Gear Changing in comparison with accent and getz?
4. How is the steering is it like i10? or is harder? I love i10's steering
5. Lastly about Auto AC have you used it? Is it comfortable as in does it know what you want from it?
Old 22nd January 2009, 17:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

OTR in chennai would be much more . i think tax itself is 8% atleaset. then you have insurance. it would be 6.75-6.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AadiAtPlay View Post
Dumb question:

Why are we talking about Fiat Linea? Should not the i20 be compared to the Palio or Vista the up and coming Grande Punto ?

if you talk Linea then we should compare with Verna?
Grande punto maybe but not the others IMHO - they are definetly a segment below

comparison with Linea because of price overlap and minus the boot, interior space/equipment is pretty much similar

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th February 2009 at 01:47. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.
Old 22nd January 2009, 17:45   #24
BHPian

Interesting to see the car buyer's mind wavers across segments. So the era of large hatches has been kick-started and it is interesting to see that the i20 is in contention with the Linea and even the ANHC. Seems to be hotting up like the European market. IMHO only the base model of i20 justifies its price and anything above that price will make the average Indian buyer think nothing but a sedan. Eagerly waiting for the Punto.

When was the last time we saw so much interesting action in the Indian car market with multiple launches across segments.

Any day I'm in favour of a large hatch than a sedan, considering the traffic conditions and parking problems nowadays. Parking is such an acute problem at my office Sometimes curse myself owning a sedan - with its butt sticking out, inviting someone to hit it.
Old 22nd January 2009, 18:45   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
Interesting to see the car buyer's mind wavers across segments. So the era of large hatches has been kick-started and it is interesting to see that the i20 is in contention with the Linea and even the ANHC. Seems to be hotting up like the European market. IMHO only the base model of i20 justifies its price and anything above that price will make the average Indian buyer think nothing but a sedan. Eagerly waiting for the Punto.

When was the last time we saw so much interesting action in the Indian car market with multiple launches across segments.

Any day I'm in favour of a large hatch than a sedan, considering the traffic conditions and parking problems nowadays. Parking is such an acute problem at my office Sometimes curse myself owning a sedan - with its butt sticking out, inviting someone to hit it.
Exactly the reason why I am also going for i20 Asta instead of Linea (I like both of them by the way and can easily afford them as well).

And I disagree with you that only i20 Magna justifies its price. I think i20 Asta more or less also justifies its price. You dont get many of the features (like ACC, Airbags/ABS, illuminated power window controls, alloys, quality fabric/seats/interiors etc) on even higher priced sedans. Somebody wanting the luxury of all those and a good city commuter has an excellent option in i20 Asta.

Its a different thing if all you want is a cheaffeur driven car!
Old 22nd January 2009, 19:48   #26
BHPian

Hey appuchan your signature is missing Verna petrol. So is the i20 replacing both Verna and Santro?
Anyways Congrats on the uber cool i20.
Old 22nd January 2009, 21:33   #27
BHPian

What good is it having a good car, if you will then get screwed by the dealer? Having good *** is part of the cost of buying a car. Hyundai implicitly tags it on to the purchase price of the car. With Fiat, you end up paying for it later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigatech2006 View Post
If I were a new buyer looking for a car in the 5.5-6.5 lac budget, I would prefer a Linea petrol to a Hyundai i20 - any day! I don't know what makes Hyundai price the cars ridiculously. Fiat is definitely a better car when compared to a Hyundai, but for their A.S.S. Hope Fiat improves their service and support, to keep a check on sub-par automakers in the market like the Hyundai.
Old 22nd January 2009, 23:50   #28
BHPian

@appuchan: Congrats for the new car buddy.

Test drove the i20 a couple of days ago. Its indeed a good family car.
Amazing features. I test drove the asta version. As already mentioned there is a warning tone if the front passengers do not wear the seat belts. The car is extremely comfortable to drive in and around the city.

One thing which disappointed me was the pick up in the second gear. There were four of us in the car and I floored the pedal and I felt the response was not what I expected.

Also I have another confusion, the sales executive informed me that the car has AC ducts at the back and when I asked him as to where is it located he changed the setting in the AC and then made me put my hand under the driver's seat and asked me to feel the air coming from the front side. . Dint really believe him though.

The sales executive also informed me that the mileage of the car in the city was about 15kmpl. Can this be true even if the car is driven properly?

Overall, a great car to drive. Slightly over priced. A really good looking car in the particular segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodystopme View Post
How is the Ride quality Is it like i10 or getz? Or Better than both?
I felt the ride quality to be better than the i10. The suspension was harder than the i10 which I liked.

How are the front seats in comparison with i10, getz?
They were comfortable considering that I am short.

How is the steering is it like i10? or is harder? I love i10's steering
This one was better than the i10, softer actually.

Replies in bold.

Last edited by swift8847 : 22nd January 2009 at 23:52.
Old 23rd January 2009, 10:20   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodystopme View Post
Congratulations appuchan for your new ride. What color did you get? Do post the Pics of Interior in good light and resolution. Do keep us posted with your experience of the car. Even am looking forward to buying this car after launch of GP. Please do answer my following questions in detail.
1. How is the Ride quality Is it like i10 or getz? Or Better than both?
2. How are the front seats in comparison with i10, getz?
3. How is the Gear Changing in comparison with accent and getz?
4. How is the steering is it like i10? or is harder? I love i10's steering
5. Lastly about Auto AC have you used it? Is it comfortable as in does it know what you want from it?
My answers...

1. Ride quality is not comparable to i10 and much better than Getz.
2. Front seats are excellent with good visibility albeit a bit lower than Santro
3. Gear changing is as good as in any Hyundai car. I fould them all quite good in transmission. I cannot compare with Accent but its as good as in petrol verna
4. Steering is very light at low speeds and become more tight as speed goes up
4. A/c is automatic and seems to be very effective.

Overall i20 cannot be compared to any cars like Santro, i10 and Getz from Hyundai. The car is totally in a different league with respect, ride, build quality, directness of steering, taught body and good tyres with a respectable engine. I would definitely have like a bit more pwerful engine, but them pricing will be a big prolem for Hyundai. The Indian mindset is to go for a sedan if the price is above 6 lacs; eventhough most of the sedans we have below 10 lacs here are not real sedans, but hatches with boot.

It is interesting to note that the wheelbase of i20 is more than that of Verna and equipment levels are much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girish.r View Post
Hey appuchan your signature is missing Verna petrol. So is the i20 replacing both Verna and Santro?
Anyways Congrats on the uber cool i20.
Yes. My Verna is going to my native town to replace my old car there. I am left with Santro here for now. My plan to buy a proper sedan (Civic/Corolla) to replace Verna bombed because of economic meltdown. Budget was limited to 10 lacs and found i20 to be the most suitable car for me. It will also be a good replacement for my Santro and to a large extend compensate for the missing Verna. Will look at a sedan some time later.

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th February 2009 at 01:42. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread.
Old 23rd January 2009, 10:25   #30
BHPian

Congrats first!

How is the boot size? I have two kids and tons of luggage when I do some long trips. Post some pics of the boot.

Thanks,

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
The Indian mindset is to go for a sedan if the price is above 6 lacs; eventhough most of the sedans we have below 10 lacs here are not real sedans, but hatches with boot.

It is interesting to note that the wheelbase of i20 is more than that of Verna and equipment levels are much better.
pradkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks