Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2009, 21:01   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This statement is hilarious at best, tell you why:

1. A more powerful engine will perform better within the city as well. With superior low-end performance and a punchier mid-range. Plus, it wont struggle to climb up a Valkeshwar / Hanging Gardens incline with 3 - 4 passengers on board (which the i20 1.2 does!). And on the highway, when you have to overtake that 75kph truck, you will appreciate the quick overtaking manouveur that a powerful engine gave you. Remember, we aren't asking for a turbocharged V12 here. Merely a unit that can do a competent job.

2. You are paying a premium price. Why should you not get a premium engine?
GTO for different people this has different meanings
Old 22nd February 2009, 22:21   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
Guyz, my i20 Asta is coming today afternoon. Will post details and pictures tonight or tomorrow.
Hey Appuchan finally we get to hear that your i20 Asta is coming !! Been waiting for this for a long time now.

Eagerly awaiting the delivery experience, photos etc. Will check online tomorrow from office to catch the story and pics !!

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 22nd February 2009, 23:01   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. A more powerful engine will perform better within the city as well.
Getz CRDI has a better engine but people complain about how difficult its to drive in the city traffic. It tends to speed as soon as you leave the clutch. I am yet to find it out myself as I already have few friends in my society who own Getz.
Quote:
2. You are paying a premium price. Why should you not get a premium engine?
Do we have any choice right now ? Other than Getz CRDI, I dont know any premium hatch that offers 1.5 engine. We might see the i20 diesel end of 2009 as reported in few places with the specifications that I posted in the previous page here (UK i20 engine details). But would it come anywhere within 7 lakhs ? In India, auto makers are compromising on the engine for offering an affordable price and mileage. So, when engine is more powerful, it cost more on the buyer as well as daily fuel. I stand corrected if I am talking non-sense on the technical part, because I know only the basics on automobile.
Old 23rd February 2009, 10:44   #109
BHPian

Shajufx

Whatever you have mentioned is true as well. Those who badly need an i20 kinda car now and happy with everything else in the i20 except the engine, don't really have a choice. They would more or less be forced to go in for the i20 with the 1.2L engine.

On the other hand, many of us especially on this forum being what it is, choose to wait and see what other engine options would be offered on the i20 in the coming months. The 1.4L CRDi diesel is surely coming, as already confirmed by Hyundai India.

Elito11 had mentioned a few posts back in this thread that as per his sources, the 1.4L CRDi and 1.4L DOHC petrol engines would be offered in the i20 by the middle of this year. It's already the end of Feb 09 now, so if you could wait for some more time to check out the engine options, it would be cool.

The i20 Asta at 5.6L ex showroom B'lore would cost more than 6.3L on road in B'lore for sure. In Chennai the i20 Asta costs 6.28L on road. Since the taxes etc are more in Karnataka, the car would cost a bit more.

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:53   #110
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Getz CRDI has a better engine but people complain about how difficult its to drive in the city traffic. It tends to speed as soon as you leave the clutch. I am yet to find it out myself as I already have few friends in my society who own Getz.
That doesn't mean every powerful engine scores poorly on driveability! This argument is bordering on the illogical now.

Quote:
Do we have any choice right now ?
Its okay to buy the i20 1.2 due to a lack of choice. But please don't justify the small engine by saying that more powerful engines are pointless.

Quote:
In India, auto makers are compromising on the engine for offering an affordable price and mileage. So, when engine is more powerful, it cost more on the buyer as well as daily fuel.
1. Hyundai saved taxes on the 1.2, but the pricetag doesn't reflect that.

2. I doubt the i20 is going to be fuel-efficient as it needs to frequently see 3000+ rpm in daily driving conditions. Remember, in the same situation where a small engine is stressed and a larger is comfortable, the latter could prove more fuel efficient as well.
Old 23rd February 2009, 15:45   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That doesn't mean every powerful engine scores poorly on driveability! This argument is bordering on the illogical now.
The only reason I felt attracted to i20 is its design, features and comforts. Personally I would love something like a Volkswagen Golf GTI for the indian cities. My collegue had a turbo charged Golf GTI back in 2005 while I was in Oman. I loved everything about this car right from its design, power, comforts, huge list of features etc. Whenever the accelator is pushed, we used to enjoy the arrow like thrust and our body pushed to the seats with so much power. When I read through the list of things an i20 comes with, it reminds me of that Golf GTI somehow, except the engine part.

I am not comparing powerful engines here by any chance. I may not know even 10% of what autoheads here could discuss. Only thing I can write here is the limited choice one has when it comes to a premium hatch. I have gone through almost every review about Swift, Getz, Fabia and i20. Right now Swift and Getz are totally out of my list. Fabia, as I mentioned earlier, might cost a fortune for maintenance (my brother's experience with Octavia for last 3 years) and Getz might get outdated soon too. Waiting for the next batch of more powerful engines could be end of 2009 !

Hearing from new owners is the only thing left right now as real time users could help in making up one's mind. As GTO pointed out earlier, one is paying a premium price, but what choice we have ? Suppose I buy the present i20 and later see 1.5 L engine on road, I might feel sad again. So either its a waiting for few months or hearing from new owners enough, so that one may not complain about a hasty decision.

Last edited by shajufx : 23rd February 2009 at 15:47.
Old 23rd February 2009, 17:54   #112
Senior - BHPian

GTO, we would love to see a detailed TD report from you regarding this car. Looks like you have tested the car reasonably well reading from your statements.

Btw, appuchan took delivery of his i20 Asta, red color. He should be posting the detailed report soon. I am yet to see the same though.
Old 23rd February 2009, 21:30   #113
BHPian

Underpowered Engine?

check out this Hyundai i20 Hatchback Car Review Summary - What Car?

For the roads they have abroad, no one is telling Hyundai i20 as underpowered, infact they are considering the i20 as a peppy engine. This is the kind of info i found on most of the foreign sites.i am eager to buy one, but atleast expecting 20k discounts as available for the i10 now.

A newer powerful engine is certainly going to raise the cost of the car as well as daily running cost, unless until a diesel.A newer powerful engine for the same price tag will be a welcome.

I also wanted to know some facts about airbags, suppose a bike at 40kmph crashes into a car with airbags, will the airbags inflate.. and in case it inflates what is the cost of getting or reparing to new one.Safety should come cheaper than other options like climate control.. alloys etc...and be standard in all cars and not be quoted as a luxury feature, thats what i feel.
There is no value of life now days and just greed,bussiness and money!

Old 25th February 2009, 14:45   #114
BHPian

Appuchan - Bring on your i20 Story !!

Hey Appuchan - heard from another BHPian that you've taken delivery of your new red i20 Asta. Congrats on getting the car. Please post detailed photos and your review, purchase experience, etc soon. Looking forward to the same.

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 26th February 2009, 15:05   #115
Senior - BHPian

Its frustrating to wait like this for an unbiased user experience both on the buying and driving part of an i20. Mr.Appu Chan (I know you are not a chinese for sure), stop your car and remember your buddies around here, spare some time, take a decent camera (no mobile camera please !) and put some views and pics here. Do we have any owner cum user review here on an i20 ? I searched and found none.
Old 26th February 2009, 15:59   #116
BHPian

I think there are delivery problems with the i20, one of my friends who booked it mid Feb has yet to get delivery dates after commitments for March first week, plus we have no reports here which is strange to say the least. Someone here was also mentioning engine shortages and other issues. So perhaps some time before user reviews start pouring in here.
Old 26th February 2009, 23:59   #117
BHPian

Hmm Raul - not sure about those issues you have mentioned, but 2 of our BHPians - jas_mirage and appuchan have already taken delivery of their i20s but surprisingly no pictures / reviews till now. Wonder what's taking them so long. Guys - hope you both are happy with your i20s and they are doing fine.

Please put up your reviews and details snaps soon !!! All of us here are waiting.

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 1st March 2009, 12:33   #118
BHPian

i20 vs linea 1.4 petrol power to weight ratio

Need your help folks. I have short listed i20 and linea 1.4 petrol. Now the only thing which blocks me is the power to weight ratio of these two cars. Which one is more underpowered while taking into consideration the weight of these two cars.

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st March 2009 at 14:36. Reason: similar discussion, please continue here
Old 2nd March 2009, 14:08   #119
Senior - BHPian

The new i20 owners are not respecting this forum as expected. So, we need to think about some permanent banning or similar punishments to these people. I think it would be appropriate if they dont post the report and pics within 7 days of owning one ! Hey come on guys, what you are doing with the new cars ? Gone for a loooooooooong drive to andamans ?!!!
Old 2nd March 2009, 14:19   #120
BHPian

Strange that we don't have single i20 ownership report in this forum yet, if I am not mistaken there are reports of 3 people here getting delivery but they have all gone silent.

Perhaps there are delivery problems because we don't see many on the road either, I have seen one in Juhu, Mumbai and one in East Street Pune, both white.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks