Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2009, 16:53   #121
BHPian

Yup. Even I've not spotted any i20s running around in Chennai, except for 2 or 3 test drive cars from Hyundai Motor Plaza. Strange eh ? Either this is due to terribly slow deliveries, or some other issues. Nothing is clear though.

And appuchan & jas_mirage who've taken delivery of their i20s have still not posted here with their pics, review etc. I even sent both of them a private message requesting the pics and review !!!

Guys - please post back here soon. Your fellow TBHPians are waiting !!

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 3rd March 2009, 20:42   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
The new i20 owners are not respecting this forum as expected. So, we need to think about some permanent banning or similar punishments to these people. I think it would be appropriate if they dont post the report and pics within 7 days of owning one ! Hey come on guys, what you are doing with the new cars ? Gone for a loooooooooong drive to andamans ?!!!
appuchan is traveling and could not even drive the car enough to give a report. No photos either. He was here only for one day after delivery. He said he will try to put up something soon. Not sure when.
Old 3rd March 2009, 22:44   #123
BHPian

Hey guys,
about to get my i20 Asta in approximately a week. Hyundai are just taking quite long to deliver the i20's for some reason i cannot understand. But finally, my car should arrive by end of this week
Will post an initial report then.
Old 4th March 2009, 11:02   #124
Senior - BHPian

I had the chance to drive a relative's new i20 (base model) for almost a whole day in city traffic. Here are my views:
1. Feels very nice to drive. Well planted and quite comfortable. No rattles on bumps, took them quite well. Better road feel than the swift.
2. No sense of under-powered. I do have a swift and actually the i20's engine felt more rev happy and eager, even with 100km on the odo than the swift with more than 20k on the odo. Plus the clutch is very very light - adds to comfort and less fatigue in city traffic.
3. Very good music system, integrated into the dash info display. Two tweeters in the door panel near the handles really contributed to great sound imaging.
4. AC felt somewhat inadequate, especially at 1 setting possibly some mixing of warm/cold air taking place. Will require film on windows and check by dealer. On the second blower setting was quite ok. Maybe also much larger cabin, setting of low fan speed not enough.
5. Braking not very linear, but felt quite adequate - in any case was driving very gently since new.
6. Quite spacious, both exterior and interior. Parked next to NHCs, car looked bigger from front.

I still have it for a few days, let me know if you have any questions.
Old 4th March 2009, 13:15   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSG12777 View Post
Yup. Even I've not spotted any i20s running around in Chennai, except for 2 or 3 test drive cars from Hyundai Motor Plaza. Strange eh ? Either this is due to terribly slow deliveries, or some other issues. Nothing is clear though.
I spotted a Magna i20 (Beige color) in Perungudi today. And a white one (Looked awesome) in Vizag over the weekend.
Old 4th March 2009, 14:46   #126
BHPian

Have been seeing i20s regularly during my drive to office in Mumbai (dont know if it is the same cars that i keep seeing). One observation is that most of the sales are of the base version (magna if am not wrong is the base version). So that means no airbags / abs again!
Old 4th March 2009, 15:31   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
5. Braking not very linear, but felt quite adequate - in any case was driving very gently since new.

I still have it for a few days, let me know if you have any questions.
Hi,

1. Can you post some nice pictures of the car?
2. Can you please throw more light on "Braking not very linear, but felt quite adequate"?

Regards!
Old 4th March 2009, 17:09   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
Have been seeing i20s regularly during my drive to office in Mumbai (dont know if it is the same cars that i keep seeing). One observation is that most of the sales are of the base version (magna if am not wrong is the base version). So that means no airbags / abs again!
As most have commented, Hyundai has simply priced the i20 quite high. Such a market is bound to be limited. At this price range, many would prefer to buy sedans. Again all the driver driven market will not opt for abs/airbags. Same for my relative's i20. Once Honda Jazz, VW's Polo/Golf, Fiat's Punto come out, Hyundai will have to review their pricing / features strategy. Till then, there is no similar car (other than Fabia - but then Skoda has always been a diesel story).
Old 5th March 2009, 00:04   #129
BHPian

Hey guys.. I can see that everyone wants a review of the i20.. I took the delivery of my Black Beauty on Jan 19th.. But unfortunately was stuck in Delhi for the whole of Feb. I am just back home, so you can expect pictures and reviews and more. Kindly give me time till this weekend..
Old 5th March 2009, 10:30   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithi View Post
Hi,

2. Can you please throw more light on "Braking not very linear, but felt quite adequate"?

Regards!
The initial brake bite is not as much as the Marutis and Hondas. Compared to the light clutch / accelerator pedals, the brake pedal seemed to require a bit more effort. I really do need to drive it a bit more (but since it does not belong to me am hesitant to do so) to really describe this, if at all there is an issue.
Old 5th March 2009, 11:14   #131
BHPian

I saw an I20 on the mumbai -pune expressway. The car overtook me @ 120- 130 & could feel it had a good road grip. Does any one know about its GC. The car looks great.
Old 5th March 2009, 11:27   #132
Senior - BHPian

Yes, it feels very planted. In fact it has a very wide wheelbase, wider than many sedans.
Old 5th March 2009, 12:29   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
The initial brake bite is not as much as the Marutis and Hondas. Compared to the light clutch / accelerator pedals, the brake pedal seemed to require a bit more effort. I really do need to drive it a bit more (but since it does not belong to me am hesitant to do so) to really describe this, if at all there is an issue.
Thanks Sandeep for the update. How about some pictures when you find time [exterior and interior]?

Regards!
Old 6th March 2009, 11:27   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift8847 View Post
@appuchan:

The sales executive also informed me that the mileage of the car in the city was about 15kmpl. Can this be true even if the car is driven properly?

Replies in bold.
My i10 with 1.2 does not give more than 13kmpl in city, so not sure how the i20 can deliver 15kmpl. I would be surprise if it gives more than 11kmpl.
Old 6th March 2009, 11:35   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
I was really hoping to like the i20 and perhaps book it today itself because I have relocated to Bombay for the last 4 months and need a car, at the same time not in the mood to commit 17k plus for new city in this economic environment which is my next choice. Petrol Linea also lurks in the background.

I like everything else about ii20, interiors, build quality, features, safety, ride quality, brakes and a price I can take on in this climate yet the engine is pissing me off now, because I just don't feel like spending money on something I am not convinced about.

On reflection I am mystified about the i20 engine, on paper its 80bhp which is 3 bhp more than my usual drive which City idsi and 18bhp more than my Zen (2003) which I also use regularly, yet both these cars are more responsive and peppy to drive, when I need power in the Zen I just have to step on the accelerator and its there, in the i20 you press and nothing, in 3 and 4th you get some activity but you can literally count the seconds while it picks up speed.

What do the experts here think of this engine because ideally 80bhp should at least be adequate and responive on the i20 given 77 in idsi was pretty perky.
You should also look at the weight of the car. The 1.2 engine on the i20 is always going to be underpowered. I say this since i own an i10 1.2. The engine is just about adequate for the i10 and the day i came to know they are going to plonk the same engine on the i20, it was always going to be sluggish. I cannot imagine driving that big hatchback on 1.2 and I dont need to test drive it to come to a conclusion.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks