Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2009, 13:26   #1
BHPian

My Hyundai Getz Crdi - Dark Grey Metallic. Update: 50,000 kms done

Hey guys,
(Sorry for the late post was busy smoking (as pras.oct25 would rightly say) the rest of the pack)

At last took delivery of my GETZ. Man all you guys, thanks for all your reviews and comments, all these helped me in getting a dream car. So, here is my ownership review for this beast of a machine.

Firstly, the sales experience. Well what can i say i got to know about everything before hand thanks to all you guys here at tBhp . Bought the car at Trident Hyundai at Cauvery theater road. The person i dealt with was a friend of ours, by name Dakshath, and he was amazing. Always give the required help and help that I need (P.S. I bugged him to no ends). We had initally made a booking for a Midnight grey colored vehicle but, the color had been withdrawn by Hyundai. So, settled for the dark grey mettalic (dont know the difference between the colors though. Anyway, thanks to Dakshath the car was made available within 7 days of booking. All that was needed to be done was pay the money and take the car and that was what was done. It was a cash payment and I asked for freebies (:GRIN. So, I was provided with a few - Window tints, perfume, and an idol of the lord - thats it. Not much I know, but a lot considering I was told NO OFFERS ON THE GETZ CRDI. What is Hyundai thinking. Such an awesome car with no offers, no VFM and the upgrade to i20 s**ks for now. Anyway so the car got delivered on Friday evening with the customary sweets thinggy and a pic of ours along with the formalities. Till then I was awaiting the drive like a kid awaiting a scoop of ice cream.

Well about the drive now :-
Oh man! this is one car that could have taken the market all to itself had Hyundai advertised better and provided better VFM. Anyway, the first thing that was to be done was to do a puja till then had to control the adrenalin rush because my parents where sitting along with me. Took the car out of the parking place out onto the road and then did something that scared the wits out of my parents, floored the throttle thinking it would respond like my zen. Got blasted for doing that because everyone in the car got thrown onto their seats (and i thought only astronauts experience this particular force). Then took it a bit easy with a big grin. Got the puja done then filled at Shell bunk because my dad said lets put premium diesal for the first fill.

Then dropped my parents home and took the car on a drive. Since we live near the roads that lead to the new international airport i took the car on a roll on the 4 laners there. Well the vehicle started moving along with my adrenalin and my heart pounding. Why? because i was waiting for the turbo to kick in. But hey! I was already reving at 2500 rpm that is when i realised - Oh! crap should have not filled the premium diesal because it has higher centane count, the turbo starts kicking in at as low as 1400-1600 rpm so you really don't feel it kicking in.

And now for the experience:-
So, then i wanted to know what this vehicle could do. I was cruising at 80Kmph (thats the speed limit at the airport road) in the 5th gear at an rpm of only 1500! Man what the hell my zen is literally screaming when i am at 80 but, this car, I swear I could hear a pin drop. Then i floored the throttle and was immediately pushed onto my seat. I thought the turbo has already kicked in so the inertia would return to normal. But, HELL NO, the engine just kept revving away till it hit 3200rpm - (thats when i realized it was a new car and i had to take it easy) - I was pressed to the seat until the time i left the throttle. Lovely, thats what i can describe this engine and VGT combination.
Ok now i was ready to learn about the handling of this vehicle and its breaking. After reading all the reviews i rather was scared to try real hard breaking. So when i was at about 100kmph and i pressed the break lightly. Hey guys i was surprised that the vehicle responded well i mean after reading everywhere that the vehicle needs ABS and safety i was really surprised that the breaking was quiet efficient. Agreed that i was driving only at 100 but then i when i do the same on my zen (breaking on my zen - supposedly is too sensitive according to Dakshath), it actually takes a long time to stop. So hey, I am happy with the breaking efficiency. Coming to handling i did feel a swing when i braked hard, thanks to the tiny tire on the getz (again what was Hyundai thinking). So, hey i decided that i change the tires immediately and that's what i did. Bought Michelin BF Goodrich - 195/60 R14, a set of 5 cost 20k which was reduced to 10k after buy back. The handling seemed fine after that. Oh and guys let me tell you this - the zen's ride quality, the seating position and the precise handling can not be matched by most other cars NOT EVEN A SWIFT. As KP pointed out i truly am missing my zen on these accounts but hey the GETZ is way more fun to drive, the quick response to the throttle and the noise free cabin are all a pleasure and what makes the car a drivers car.
The interiors are amazing. After driving around Maruti Suzuki's for so long, i finally got to know what good build quality means. Not a single sound. As i already said i could have heard a pin drop. The cup holders and the center console where all pleasing me to no ends because the zen does not have great interiors. The cabin space is unbelievable with really comfortable seats and a great AC (super in comparison to the Zen's AC)

Would be fitting out the ICE tomorrow @Autogrid the place where i got the ICE fitted out for my zen.

I could go on and on but this a really long post already (he! he!). I for one am sure that there is a lot more to come. Hoping to hear all your comments and feedback. Would post some snaps as soon as i am ready to see the car from the outside and not rush in and start driving it.

(P.S. I have already done 450 KMs, at home they seem to call me crazy - but I know a few people who are crazier than i am )

Cheers

Note from mod : Do not use more than 2 smileys per post

Last edited by tsk1979 : 27th February 2009 at 16:15.
Old 23rd February 2009, 13:56   #2
BHPian

Congrats on the new car dude! Welcome to the "turbo-charged smokin" club. My verna and your getz are gonna have lotsa fun on my next trip to bang, or your next trip to chennai. (for the record on tbhp, neither me nor shyam have ever smoked a cigar in our lives . Our experiences wit smokin have been a first wit our new cars).
Try to remember its a new car and avoid flying around too much! Drive safe cause its an insane car, and knowing you your even more insane. Wish you many years of happy mile munching. By the way, what does the centane count have to do wit the turbo charger kicking in man? And beware of using high end diesel. The additives will dirty your injector and you'll have black smoke issues.
And before everyone else starts to ask for snaps, I will do the needful.. Put up pics!!!!

Last edited by pras.oct25 : 23rd February 2009 at 14:07.
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Shyam. Welcome to the Getz CRDi owners club.
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:21   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
By the way, what does the centane count have to do wit the turbo charger kicking in man?
Thnx pras . And about the centane count. Well it is the same as octane count. With higher octane count (for example as in the speed 97) there is higher energy relesed. So you need a machine which can handle this energy to achieve higher throughput. Otherwise the same energy is lost as heat energy or sometimes as unburnt fuel. Some times this heat may be too much to handle for the engine itself and it may cease. Similarly, in the case of higher centane count more than normal amount of energy is released which is most of the times released as black plume of unburnt fuel. Due to this the input into the turbo is higher making it kick in at a lower rpm range itself. THIS IS NOT HARADOUS FOR CRDI engines as the recommended range is from 52 - 54 centane. The premium fuels in India have a lot of additives which may be the cause of the sticky thinggy.

@djay - thanks man.

Cheers
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Shyam!

Take it easy. Its suicidal to do 150kph on day1 with stock tires.

Midnight grey is very blackish whereas metallic dark grey is a darker version of charming grey.

Last edited by kpzen : 23rd February 2009 at 14:30.
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:39   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

That's a lovely decision Shyam. Getz with the verna engine is a sure-shot hatch back killer. Can you post some pictures, never saw the dark grey one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Congrats Shyam!

Midnight grey is very blackish whereas metallic dark grey is a darker version of charming grey.
He did upto 100kmph and not 150kmph ( i reckon you mis-read 1500rpm as speed)
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:42   #7
BHPian

Congratulations shyam. You made a wise decision by upgrading tyres immediately . Can you tell us the onroad price of the vehicle please. Post some snaps also. Happy and safe driving brother .
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:48   #8
BHPian

Congratulations Shyam. Got yourself a good beast. What was the OTR price, and of course pictures please.
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:50   #9
BHPian

I think it cost him around 6.3lakhs on road.
Shyam stop posting questions on my thread . It was'nt a stereo issue by the way. Those guys at the service center had replaced the OEM plastic clips on the front facia with metallic clips and with a lot of double tape. So it was vibrating like hell.
Its also great to know that hyundai is celebrating booming business by being able to provide free idols to their customers. I almost feel jealous that I didnt get one. Wonder what hyundai was thinking.

@kp Take it easy. Its suicidal to do 150kph on day1 with stock tires. - I warned him about all this long before he bought the car!

Last edited by pras.oct25 : 23rd February 2009 at 14:53.
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:52   #10
rippergeo

Sigh! another CRDi.
Here's a half hearted congrats from me.
Half hearted because-I'm really happy for you, but on the other hand, sad for myself because when I was in the market for this car, it was priced out of reach, now that they have dropped the price, everyone's getting the car that I really wanted!

Old 23rd February 2009, 14:56   #11
BHPian

Congrats Shyam on your new car.

You have a car that is my envy and would have loved to own one but fate had something else in store for me, but its not that I am complaining.
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:58   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats Shyam!

Thanks KP. You cant take it easy on this beast can you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhegde View Post
Congratulations shyam. You made a wise decision by upgrading tyres immediately . Can you tell us the onroad price of the vehicle please. Post some snaps also. Happy and safe driving brother .
Thanks. Snaps coming in a few. The on road price in Bangalore was 6.43 lakhs on road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
I think it cost him around 6.3lakhs on road.
Shyam stop posting questions on my thread . It was'nt a stereo issue by the way. Those guys at the service center had replaced the OEM plastic clips on the front facia with metallic clips and with a lot of double tape. So it was vibrating like hell.
Yeah i remember when you told me that. When i zipped past a bus on your verna (He! He!) I remember the expression on your face and what you said even. So how is the NVH now?

Cheers
Old 23rd February 2009, 15:01   #13
BHPian

Shyam go down to your parking lot and get some snaps of your car and put them up. I told you not to write a review without putting up snaps! Now you've got all your well wishers waiting!
Old 23rd February 2009, 15:03   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
That's a lovely decision Shyam.
Thanks mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhegde View Post
Congratulations shyam. You made a wise decision by upgrading tyres immediately .
Thanks. I had to do it otherwise I would really miss driving the beast as i want to

Quote:
Originally Posted by isldhn View Post
Congratulations Shyam. Got yourself a good beast. What was the OTR price, and of course pictures please.
Thanks! I have posted the price. Will have a look at the break up and post it as soon as i read my bill

Quote:
Yup! was very lucky. And thanks to Dakshath again.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Congrats Shyam on your new car.

You have a car that is my envy and would have loved to own one but fate had something else in store for me, but its not that I am complaining.
Hey you have a bike which i envy man . I had a P180 DTSI old before all this. That was my first ride. That vehicle rocks even now sad i had to trade it for aftermarkets for my zen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Sigh! another CRDi.
Here's a half hearted congrats from me.
Half hearted because-I'm really happy for you, but on the other hand, sad for myself because when I was in the market for this car, it was priced out of reach, now that they have dropped the price, everyone's getting the car that I really wanted!
Hey man there is always a next time . Better carz coming to the Indian market very soon.
Cheers

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd February 2009 at 15:11. Reason: Final warning, control the excitment and give it some time for others to respond to thread before replying. Thanks
Old 23rd February 2009, 15:14   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyamSCrdi View Post
Yeah i remember when you told me that. When i zipped past a bus on your verna (He! He!) I remember the expression on your face and what you said even. So how is the NVH now?
Yeah yeah, we did a fair bit of zipping by that day in my car didnt we! Waiting to have a drive of the getz. I didnt bother looking at it during our purchase cause dad preferred to go for the big saloon, and it had better interiors and a complete set of features ( stock ICE) etc and I was very very particular about the ABS, so overall better value for money. Shyam you've driven my car right and you've done a fair bit of driving of your car in the 2 days you've had it! Put up a getz vs verna comparison. I think prime factors for comparison would be noise levels, suspension, handling, turbo at lower/higher speeds, general driving comfort, and the feeling of the car at high speeds. We both hit 120 or 130 comfortably in my car that day on bellary road.
The car is far quieter now. Though they need to have a check on the dashboard again. I still feel it hasnt been fit back as well as it was when it was brand new. Cant say I"m particularly happy about the condition that HMP has brought my dear car to.
Oh and the mileage, I think around 13 to 14 to the litre in the city. That day on the highway I think I got 18 on the highway, but lost all the value for that during the portion from hosur - electronic city - core bangalore city.
What are the mods that you have planned man for your car?

Last edited by pras.oct25 : 23rd February 2009 at 15:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks