Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2009, 18:43   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Park assist unfortunately is not offered. Essentially it delivers steering control for parallel parking when activated. Brilliant feature.

Parktronic is front and rear parking sensors, with a graphic display on the screen, with dynamically moving obstacles illustrated. There is an audible beep emitted from the front for an obstacle in the front, and one from the rear for a rear obstacle. Pretty cool I thought. Volume of beep is programmable too.
Old 18th March 2009, 20:00   #122
Senior - BHPian

Does it have electric parking brake like A6? cruise control?
what the FE on the EU combined cycle?
any idea what the boost pressure of the turbo is?
Old 18th March 2009, 20:49   #123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Nope no electric parking brake. Although it does have Hill Hold control to prevent roll back.

Quote:
what the FE on the EU combined cycle?
37.2mpg EU combined so 13.1km/litres.

Quote:
boost no idea. Let me do some digging up.
Old 18th March 2009, 21:33   #124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
boost no idea. Let me do some digging up.
Googling some audi forums tells me that the 1.8 TFSI engine found in the Audi A4 which is exactly the same as the superb engine has a boost pressure of 1.2bar.
Old 18th March 2009, 21:40   #125
Senior - BHPian

However cool it may seem, I'm glad they've ommitted it for India. Our spaces are really tight anyway, we have chauffeurs to do most of the parking for us, and above all it has surely helped them to keep the price competitive for the Indian market which is absolutely crucial for the car to succeed here.
Old 18th March 2009, 23:40   #126
BHPian

The Petrol on the A4 is in a 180 BHP state of tune.
Old 19th March 2009, 00:11   #127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeff View Post
The Petrol on the A4 is in a 180 BHP state of tune.
The 180PS one is a 2.0 TFSI which is similar to the 1.8L but 2.0L. Only the 2.0L is available in India for the A4.

The 1.8TFSI is also available on the A4 but not in India.
Old 19th March 2009, 00:20   #128
BHPian

Guys a little off topic I guess but, which skoda superb makes more sense according to you all guys? I did some calculations and all your inputs, comments and suggestions are welcome.

now I had asked the dealer about the on-road price of the1.8 TSI superb, and it is 21.50 lacs in mumbai. (on road thane is 20.45 lacs)
and according to him when the 2.0 Diesel will be launched it will be around 2-3 lacs more than the 1.8 TSI atleast.

now if we calculate the total usage of around 1,00,000 kms over a period of 5-7 years (pretty high usage assumed) and the average petrol and diesel prices over this duration assumed of Rs. 72 and Rs. 60 respectively for the total distance covered (assuming that fuel prices will go very high in future).
now in this scenario if we take the average of the petrol 1.8 TSI skoda superb, which gives an average of approx 8kmpl in city and 11 on highway, of 9kmpl then it will workout something like this:

1,00,000 kms divide by 9 (average kmpl) = 11,111.12 litres of petrol,
therefore 11,111.12 litres multiply by 72 (average petrol price) = 8 lacs!

and for the 2.0 Diesel superb it will be something like this (refference of the current 2.0 passat engine taken here as it is going to be the same unit in the superb):

1,00,000 kms divide by 11 (approx. average kmpl) = 9,090.91 litres of diesel,
therefore 9,090.91 litres multiply by 60 (average diesel price) = Rs. 5,45,454.

so the difference in running cost will be around Rs. 2.45 lacs only after 1 lacs kms!

and on top of that the maintenance cost of a diesel engine would be mostly higher than the petrol engine.

so only if you have a tours and travel business and are going to use the superb as taxi and will have extremely high usage, around 1.5 lacs to 2 lacs kms in total, than only it will be worth to buy the diesel engine superb. otherwise it simply dosen't make sense to buy the 2.0 diesel over the 1.8 TSI petrol superb. and also you will get a better performance and refinement with the petrol engine than the diesel. the petrol engine being around 2.5 seconds quicker (0-100kmph) than the 2.0 diesel engine in the current passat! and you are also getting the 2nd gen 7 speed DSG with the petrol. so the current 1.8 TSI petrol superb makes more sense than the upcoming 2.0 diesel superb anyday.

also note that the above calculations are only valid for the engines disscussed above. maybe honda accord 2.2L diesel engine would make more sense than the 2.4 I-VTEC accord as the average kmpl difference would be mostly more than the 2 skoda engines disscussed above.

just my two cents!
Old 19th March 2009, 03:43   #129
BHPian

Meticulous calculation this, even though with a Pete's box the speed may become very much comparable and may have not been factored on the current calculation.

One of the main cost differences would pop up on the parts differential. If the parts between the two are comparable, the above would hold true. Resale wise the Oil burner is expected to sell better in the Taxi market and the difference will be almost wiped out.

Magikrider Your analysis is true not only for the Superb but most cars available in the country today. I did a similar calculation to dump oil burners which I used for around 10 years back to back in favour of petrol cars in the past.
Old 19th March 2009, 04:33   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think the diesel will be upto 3 lakhs more! What is the current price diff between the last gen diesel vs petrol superb?
Old 19th March 2009, 10:40   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Nope no electric parking brake. Although it does have Hill Hold control to prevent roll back.
Cruise control is offered.

Hill Hold Control (HHC) is a neat feature where if stationary at an incline, the brakes lock for a couple of seconds at take off point. Can be very useful at a flyover, basement parking etc. Haven't tried it though.
Old 19th March 2009, 11:30   #132
BHPian

Look at TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) by accounting for resale in this equation and the diesel would trump the petrol hands down.

Consider this resale theory for a 3 year skoda: petrol's depreciate 50% compared to 30% of a diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
Guys a little off topic I guess but, which skoda superb makes more sense according to you all guys? I did some calculations and all your inputs, comments and suggestions are welcome.
Old 19th March 2009, 14:51   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant_kingpin View Post
Meticulous calculation this, even though with a Pete's box the speed may become very much comparable and may have not been factored on the current calculation.

One of the main cost differences would pop up on the parts differential. If the parts between the two are comparable, the above would hold true. Resale wise the Oil burner is expected to sell better in the Taxi market and the difference will be almost wiped out.

Magikrider Your analysis is true not only for the Superb but most cars available in the country today. I did a similar calculation to dump oil burners which I used for around 10 years back to back in favour of petrol cars in the past.
Thanks nishant. and yes the performance with the Pete's box would improve but then again that will add to the total cost. and it might also give a little less average because most of us car maniacs cannot resist the extra power and mould be carried away more than often!

but again on a more serious note, i think that maybe if this 1.8 TSI petrol engine is successful, then the price difference might be pertty less in the resale market between this and the diesel as this is a pretty efficient engine for a car this big! (heck! my santro gives me only around 10kmpl in city!) and also one more thing, I doubt that 2nd hand superbs will be much in demand in the taxi market. because the taxi market generally prefer CBU cars as they get it at an unbelievable price. a few years back I had read in Times if not mistaken, that through the EPCG scheme, the camry (now last gen) was available at only around 10 lacs! but the EPCG has very strict rules so people cannot misuse. so generally you see camry's as hotel taxi's. I have not yet seen a superb taxi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I don't think the diesel will be upto 3 lakhs more! What is the current price diff between the last gen diesel vs petrol superb?
according to ACI, the price difference of last gen superb is between 2-3 lacs depending on the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Look at TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) by accounting for resale in this equation and the diesel would trump the petrol hands down.

Consider this resale theory for a 3 year skoda: petrol's depreciate 50% compared to 30% of a diesel.
as I have mentioned above, it really depends on the success of this 1.8 TSI petrol unit also alot. and going by the effiency of this 1.8 unit, this might just change the story! the price difference might lessen to a considerable amount. and if I am not wrong the maintenance of a used diesel will be on a even higher side compared to a petrol. so if I am in the 2nd hand market looking for a superb, I will most definately buy the 1.8 TSI car any day over the 2.0 Diesel. and your theory on used skoda is very true but I guess thats more applicable for the octavia. because the 1.9 TDI octavia is the most succesful diesel sedan in the whole skoda range. and its also worry free diesel.
Old 19th March 2009, 15:13   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
so if I am in the 2nd hand market looking for a superb, I will most definately buy the 1.8 TSI car any day over the 2.0 Diesel
Absolutely! Good for the buyer but bad for the seller, isnt it?
Old 19th March 2009, 15:37   #135
BHPian

Beautiful car. Loved the rear leg room and the way it drove. Feels like a small car to drive. Felt much much lighter than my vRS.

Not my cup of tea though as its too big for me.(but dad has fallen head over heels for it- might just have one of these in my drive way soon).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks