Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2009, 19:18   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

I am sure you would know somebody who would be having a 3 to 4 year old Santro (or older). Ask him whether he has had underbody coating. If you have 2 people, one with and one without, check the respective cars' underbody. If you find even 5% difference, go in for the coating.
I guess this is a pretty useless response but I am still typing it--

I own an 8 yr old Santro and I never got the underbody coating done. Didnt hurt, yet (touchwood!).

My wife owns a 2 yrs old NHC and due to the lower ground clearance, we got it done. Infact it was a good deal.. Cost us 6K onetime with warranty, and they get a coating done every 6 months (with each service).

I cant tell if getting it done was a good idea or not, though!
Old 11th June 2009, 23:58   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
I reckon you could, it all depends our your fitter's skill/ideas/suggestions. The fitter i have got for all my cars till now is an expert at after market fittings.

I agree with this though.Its upto the fitter! I've to hunt for suitable person for this!
Old 12th June 2009, 10:46   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post

I own an 8 yr old Santro and I never got the underbody coating done. Didnt hurt, yet (touchwood!).

My wife owns a 2 yrs old NHC and due to the lower ground clearance, we got it done. Infact it was a good deal.. Cost us 6K onetime with warranty, and they get a coating done every 6 months (with each service).

I own a 4.5 yr old santro with underbody coating done before delivery of the car.

Well, the purpose of underbody coating is not to avoid hits at the body, its to avoid rust etc at the underbody parts since these are the ones to take maximum rough treatment without any cleaning. So a thick underbody coating helps to prevent rust and other unwanted components on your car for a longer lasting life.
Old 12th June 2009, 12:42   #214
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
How can it be an useless response? I asked for somebody's repsonse and you have. Thanks.

Quote:
8 years is long enough. The longest I have retained a vehicle is about 66 months. I have had no issues of underbody resuting issues in any of my vehicles. None of them get any paint protection / underbody coating.

Quote:

It is more as a 'peace of mind' process, I feel! In any case, it won't create any under body rusting!
Old 23rd July 2009, 10:13   #215
BHPian

update.... albeit after a while.

Nearing 1000kms after 3 months 5 days YES. We use the Logan mostly for work. Need your suggestions. Do i need to get Oil changed? Can you give me any more pointers/suggestions?

Car is a hoot to drive, mileage last checked has gone to 8.5kmpl, but its mainly due to short trips 2-4 kms. Love this car and recommend an auto box to everybody driving in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Cheers.
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:28   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
Nearing 1000kms after 3 months 5 days YES. We use the Logan mostly for work. Need your suggestions. Do i need to get Oil changed? Can you give me any more pointers/suggestions?

Car is a hoot to drive, mileage last checked has gone to 8.5kmpl, but its mainly due to short trips 2-4 kms. Love this car and recommend an auto box to everybody driving in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Cheers.
Great to hear that the mileage is not better, waiting for the reports after 1st service.

I guess oil change would be good, but oil filter too ? not sure ? one of my friends cars oil and oil filter were changed on the first service.
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:29   #217
BHPian

Glare problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdh View Post
It looks this bad in the bright sun. Pic taken today morning. See the clarity in the rear view mirror. Front side should be that clear too.
Apparently this is due to light color of the dash. Typically a gray or a darker shade (black or brown) of dash will not have this problem.

I have a Santro with gray dash. Whenever I keep a newspaper or some other white paper on the dash in between the steering wheel and front glass, I cannot well in the front, no matter how cloudy it is, it is quite distracting. As soon as I remove that paper, I am fine.

So, I am quite sure this has to do with lighter color of the dash. If you can put a dark colored mat/cloth as some one else suggested earlier, the glare should be gone. Try it out first with a darker towel first to experiment it.
Old 23rd July 2009, 20:46   #218
BHPian

One more suggestion required

A guy in my building told me a while ago that if I decide to change the engine oil at 1,000kms why not change to synthetic oil as its better for cars which clock lower mileage and can be serviced at longer intervals than usual. Also he says go for fuel filter change as the slithers from new engine usage mix with the engine oil. Is this true or he's pulling a fast one on me? I am a noob at this, please help me out guys.

Thanks,
Anil
--
Sent from my BB
Old 23rd July 2009, 20:56   #219
BHPian

Anil,

Pasting a link on Team BHP comparing Synthetic V/S Mineral oils written by GTO. Bottom line: Stay with mineral oils until about 10 to 15K on your odo.

Hope this helps

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...l-oil-118.html
Old 10th September 2009, 10:08   #220
BHPian

Finally changed engine oil & filter, just 1150kms on the ODO. The car was hardly used for the first 3 months, but have been using it off late. Average obtained over 320kms, 9.25kmpl with 100% a/c on, only city driving bumper-to-bumper traffic, minimum 13-15kms per one way trip at an average, this tank full. Its a pleasure driving the Automatic & is cumbersome driving the manual, especially the hard clutch of the Logan, my daily drive.

@ Tejas
Have been reading your posts and you have obtained 7.5kmpl but i think its because of just 1.5 - 2kms daily drive, where the engine does not even reach optimum temperature & running.

Anil
Old 10th September 2009, 11:02   #221
Senior - BHPian

Great figures, Anil !! Glad to know it's steadily climbing up and I think it's now safe to say, the concern over the abysmally low initial figures can now settle down. Seen your car in Bandra once.
Old 10th September 2009, 12:07   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Great figures, Anil !! Glad to know it's steadily climbing up and I think it's now safe to say, the concern over the abysmally low initial figures can now settle down. Seen your car in Bandra once.
Exactly Akshay, i was sure that the mileage would climb up, i wasn't too perturbed anyways. Where in Bandra did you spot it? Hows your i20 saga going on?

The engine has really become quite smoother than before and a definitely more silent engine. The engine has eased out well since i've been trying to maintain less than 2500rpm all this while, so now's the best time to floor her, i say. For this heck of a price, i can't be happier. That too coming from a person shifting from a sedan to a hatch. The next cheapest automatic being the i20 at 8L, i got a killer deal, a cool 3.5L cheaper.

Cheers!

Last edited by anilkalvani : 10th September 2009 at 12:27. Reason: typos
Old 10th September 2009, 12:19   #223
Senior - BHPian

Those are very encouraging figures Anil. I gues sthey should better as the kms pile on. I hope you get into double digit figures by the time you cross 5000 kms. I also agree with the fact that short drives result in more fuel consumption which might ne the cause for Tejas to get low FE figures.
Old 10th September 2009, 14:18   #224
BHPian

Those are good FE figures Anil! I haven't yet managed to go past 9 km/l in the city. But as you guys have probably pointed out, its primarily used for really short distances most of the time. My odo is past the 1200 mark and I would hope that the FE gets better. BTW - Did they recommend that you change the filters or did you do it on your own? Any special filters used?
Old 10th September 2009, 14:32   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
Those are good FE figures Anil! I haven't yet managed to go past 9 km/l in the city. But as you guys have probably pointed out, its primarily used for really short distances most of the time. My odo is past the 1200 mark and I would hope that the FE gets better. BTW - Did they recommend that you change the filters or did you do it on your own? Any special filters used?
Yeah, the engine gives optimum performance and fuel efficiency when it is running for a while. In my Logan Manual it is recommended that the car be run for longer distances more than 20 minutes drive to get best fuel efficiency. Though its a diesel, it makes the same case in petrols too. Also don't unnecessarily accelerate, understand the gear changes, you can work your gear changes as you do in a manual.

As a Team-Bhpian and the knowledge you get here and as per recommendations i changed the Engine Oil and Oil filter, the regular one, no special filter used/fitted. They were not keen i change the oil, but i insisted. Vaguely remember a post by GTO where he mentioned slithers from a new engine during run-in and suggested that changing oil at first 1000kms would be good for the overall engine life and efficiency. Thanks GTO!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks