Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2009, 21:03   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
I feel shifting to N is a good idea if you want to wait for a long, to avoid unnecessary load on breaks and engine.

By the way, if you are at signal and its >15 sec to go, better to switch off the engine and start after green light. The most economical way to drive in the stupid city traffic.
It makes more sense. I know of a friend who has a civic who puts it in P at signals, but , is better and better to switch off the engine for longer waits. Also as you said it reduces load and avoids unnecessary strain on the brakes and engine.

@caramelo
Traditionally AT's had lower resale value, but now more and more people are buying AT's for the ease of driving and because of traffic . But the sale is mostly seen in metro cities, tier II cities still prefer 2nd hand Manuals.

--
Sent from my BB
Old 30th April 2009, 11:00   #122
Senior - BHPian

Hi Anil,

Appreciate the car, its an amazing vehicle with a good engine.

The cars you mentioned are availbale with manual version also, which give a mileage of more than 10kmpl.When it comes to an AT transmission of these cars, you can expect fuel efficiency to drop by 1-2 or may be 3 kmpl at max, while in the case of i10 the difference between manual and AT is very high. This is what I am concerned on, and nothing on the car.

Just check on the fuel efficiency difference between manual and AT of Santro, I heard Santro AT gives a mileage of around 9 easily. So its not about the cost of the car, its about how much fuel is eaten up by the auto transmission box. Which in case of i10 is quite high.

I rest my case now.

Last edited by tanwaramit : 30th April 2009 at 11:02.
Old 30th April 2009, 15:40   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Hi Anil,

Appreciate the car, its an amazing vehicle with a good engine.

The cars you mentioned are availbale with manual version also, which give a mileage of more than 10kmpl.When it comes to an AT transmission of these cars, you can expect fuel efficiency to drop by 1-2 or may be 3 kmpl at max, while in the case of i10 the difference between manual and AT is very high. This is what I am concerned on, and nothing on the car.

Just check on the fuel efficiency difference between manual and AT of Santro, I heard Santro AT gives a mileage of around 9 easily. So its not about the cost of the car, its about how much fuel is eaten up by the auto transmission box. Which in case of i10 is quite high.

I rest my case now.
Dude, if you read this entire thread, you will read that this is the 'initial' fuel efficiency which is low. After run in it eases to 10kmpl as most users have mentioned. Also the Santro AT is a good city car with max torque coming at lower rpm but because of lower high end grunt is not really good to drive on the highway. Take a test drive of the car to get the feel of it and you will appreciate the car. Fuel efficiency depends on driver to driver. In my estate one swift owner gets 11 in city with a/c and the other gets 7.5, so that is subjective bro. Peace.
--
Sent from my BB
Old 30th April 2009, 18:06   #124

Hi Anil,

First, congrats on your new car. I got an i10 Magna Auto around 20 days back and I am getting a FE of around 10-11 (80% AC) in Chennai.

I know about Mumbai traffic, but still anything less than 7 KMPL is a dismal performance (in my opinion).

Has anybody noticed a wierd noise from the car when you cruise at around 60 ? It sounds like as if somebody is blowing air through a pipe. And this happens only at 60. Below and above 60, car is icy smooth.
Old 30th April 2009, 20:05   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyoyster View Post
Hi Anil,

First, congrats on your new car. I got an i10 Magna Auto around 20 days back and I am getting a FE of around 10-11 (80% AC) in Chennai.

I know about Mumbai traffic, but still anything less than 7 KMPL is a dismal performance (in my opinion).

Has anybody noticed a wierd noise from the car when you cruise at around 60 ? It sounds like as if somebody is blowing air through a pipe. And this happens only at 60. Below and above 60, car is icy smooth.
Well congrats on your new car too. I think that fuel efficiency was obtained only during the first tank full. Now I have not checked again but the needle is going down slower than before. Also I have learnt to not accelerate unnecessarily fast and be sedate. About your issue of sound, I don't seem to have any problem even at 100kmph. I will check it once I get back to Bombay again on Saturday. Enjoy your car.
--
Sent from my BB
Old 1st May 2009, 10:05   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
Peace.
Hmm. I agree there could be difference between first tankfill and the ones which follow later.

Anyhow, driving automatics is a real fun. Do tell us one more thing (though you have mentioned) the anti rollback feature, how good is that on a steep incline (such as incline from parking lots - basement or otherwise)

Last edited by tanwaramit : 1st May 2009 at 10:05. Reason: typo
Old 1st May 2009, 11:22   #127
BHPian

See, the point of switching the car off at signals is well made. However i do it only if 30 secs. or more are remaining. And i don't do it to my CRDI engine. My petrol cars are however switched off if there are 35 seconds or more for the signal to go green. And sometimes in the afternoons i keep the engine on, unless the car is properly cooled and will remained cool for quite a while. The heat now a days in the afternoon is an absolute killer. why 35 seconds? Because i start the car 5 seconds before the counter goes to zero. This avoids me holding up the traffic
Old 1st May 2009, 17:52   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeff View Post
See, the point of switching the car off at signals is well made. However i do it only if 30 secs. or more are remaining. And i don't do it to my CRDI engine. My petrol cars are however switched off if there are 35 seconds or more for the signal to go green. And sometimes in the afternoons i keep the engine on, unless the car is properly cooled and will remained cool for quite a while. The heat now a days in the afternoon is an absolute killer. why 35 seconds? Because i start the car 5 seconds before the counter goes to zero. This avoids me holding up the traffic
You can stop your engine at signals though only if its a petrol car. Diesels to start and stop takes a while for idling issues. But keeping your car in 'D' and pressing brakes is a strict no-no.

@amit
It works very well at steep inclines. There is no roll back at basement parkings etc. whatsoever. Even driving in traffic in areas like Pali Hill etc is a breeze.

--
Sent from my BB
Old 2nd May 2009, 22:14   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

UPDATE:
2nd full tank on my AT. Average of 5.57. Gone down!!! Dad drives the car approx 7kms a day max and never speeds! I've increased the tire pressure from 29 to 32 now and hope that the FE improves...
Guys, any idea what to do or what is going wrong?
Old 2nd May 2009, 23:00   #130

Tejas,

I guess driving for only 7 KM a day might be a problem. Frequent switch on and switch off and cold engine might have considerably brought down the FE. I am no expert on these matters but still my 2 cents.
Old 2nd May 2009, 23:45   #131

Hey Tejas and Anil,

I have finally got what you guys asked for. Pictures here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1285853-post10.html
Old 3rd May 2009, 06:23   #132
sdh
BHPian

My second tank fill gave average of 7.98, so slightly up from last time. Tyre pressure is around 33 psi and full time AC on. Next I plan to fill 35 psi and see. This refill I could not fill air as it was crowded there and I was in hurry. I am filling at Shell station, standard unleaded petrol.

Last edited by sdh : 3rd May 2009 at 06:25.
Old 3rd May 2009, 08:45   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
UPDATE:
2nd full tank on my AT. Average of 5.57. Gone down!!! Dad drives the car approx 7kms a day max and never speeds! I've increased the tire pressure from 29 to 32 now and hope that the FE improves...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdh View Post
My second tank fill gave average of 7.98, so slightly up from last time. Tyre pressure is around 33 psi and full time AC on. Next I plan to fill 35 psi and see. This refill I could not fill air as it was crowded there and I was in hurry. I am filling at Shell station, standard unleaded petrol.
You guys driving a Hyundai i10 AT or a Honda Accord

FE figures quoted are really disastrous and no way can be compensated for choosing the convenience of an automatic. 9-10kmpl is the least that a small car like i10 should be able to extract from its engine.

And, come to think of it i was cribbing that my manual i10 gives 11.5kmpl with 33psi and never used Shell petrol. There is something wrong guys, it cannot be as low as 5.5kmpl, do show it to A.S.S and take their opinion.
Old 3rd May 2009, 08:58   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
UPDATE:
Dude that is seriously low. I just came back from Goa yesterday so i will have to check my car's F.E. & will keep you updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyoyster View Post
Tejas,

I guess driving for only 7 KM a day might be a problem. Frequent switch on and switch off and cold engine might have considerably brought down the FE. I am no expert on these matters but still my 2 cents.
Probably may be one of the factors. Also i am sure that once running in is through, fuel efficiency will definitely improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdh View Post
Good to hear that figures are improving. Hope for all of us too. Also i have noticed in my car too after the first full tank that the needle is going down slower, but will come to know in a couple of days or more the exact figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
There is something wrong guys, it cannot be as low as 5.5kmpl, do show it to A.S.S and take their opinion.
If it is consistently low, it is better to take it to the A-S-S and take their opinion. But till 1500kms i think it will increase gradually.
Old 3rd May 2009, 12:22   #135
Senior - BHPian

I hear it over and over again that the i10 is VFM. I don't undersatnd how. The price is quite high and FE is low (even in the MT). The car is a gem but sorry to say not VFM.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks