Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2009, 12:58   #136
Senior - BHPian

Hi Tejas,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
UPDATE:
2nd full tank on my AT. Average of 5.57. Gone down!!! Dad drives the car approx 7kms a day max and never speeds!
How is that distance split in a day? What sort of speeds would he be doing?

Is the tank filled to the brim or is auto cut off used as tank full?
Old 3rd May 2009, 15:04   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Dad uses the car to travel to work 1.5kms away and back and sometimes a few errands for another 3-4kms. Never more. He has a very very sedate driving style and never punches the accelerator!!!
Tank full all three times were done at the first automatic click of the nozzle.
Called the showroom, they said to wait for first service. However, I can't do that. I'm gonna write a stinker email to Hyundai and wait for their response.

Edit: my AT accord used to return an average of 7.5-8 with my aggressive driving style!!!

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 3rd May 2009 at 15:07.
Old 3rd May 2009, 20:08   #138
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Dad uses the car to travel to work 1.5kms away and back and sometimes a few errands for another 3-4kms. Never more. He has a very very sedate driving style and never punches the accelerator!!!
Tank full all three times were done at the first automatic click of the nozzle.
If it is 1.5km drive, the engine would not even get to normal running temperature and would be running rich. This sort of drives typically result in low mileage. Moreover I doubt whether the car even gets into the 3rd gear!

Since all your fuel fills are at auto stop, maybe it is fine to take it as accurate.

Quote:
Edit: my AT accord used to return an average of 7.5-8 with my aggressive driving style!!!
Has it ever been tested under similar circumstances as your i10?

When you have time, why don't you take her for a spin of say about 100kms on a highway, give a chance for the gearbox to use the overdrive and measure the efficiency? If possible keep it around 65kph for testing purposes.
Old 3rd May 2009, 20:57   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

When you have time, why don't you take her for a spin of say about 100kms on a highway, give a chance for the gearbox to use the overdrive and measure the efficiency? If possible keep it around 65kph for testing purposes.
Nope. The accord AT wasn't used under similar conditions. However, the Morris Minor, Premier Padminis, 118NE, Uno, OHC, & Santro (all manual) have been used under similar conditions and have consistently returned an average of 9-11kmpl.

Will take it to new bombay (80kms return) to check sometime next week.
Old 4th May 2009, 10:07   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
I hear it over and over again that the i10 is VFM. I don't undersatnd how. The price is quite high and FE is low (even in the MT). The car is a gem but sorry to say not VFM.
Well dude, FE in most cars driven within city limits is low, 10-12 max in cities like Bombay. Agreed that the automatic may not be VFM for a few, but the convenience it gives its unmentionable & you cannot describe the ease with which driving in cities like Bombay, where there's bumper to bumper traffic, this car gives you. Or Automatics per se. Sorry but i couldn't buy a cheaper 4 speed 80bhp Automatic (4.57L on road) than the i10 below 10 lacs. So for me it is VFM, but everybody has a right to express and i respect your view.

Quote:
Hi,
If it is 1.5km drive, the engine would not even get to normal running temperature and would be running rich. This sort of drives typically result in low mileage. Moreover I doubt whether the car even gets into the 3rd gear!

Since all your fuel fills are at auto stop, maybe it is fine to take it as accurate.

Exactly. I hope we're not just jumping the gun too fast. All of us here on tbhp have got their Automatics around the same time. So better wait & judge.

Quote:
Nope. The accord AT wasn't used under similar conditions. However, the Morris Minor, Premier Padminis, 118NE, Uno, OHC, & Santro (all manual) have been used under similar conditions and have consistently returned an average of 9-11kmpl.

Even i am thinking of taking my car on a longer trip to get a clearer picture on real time figures. Buttt... I am not taking too much stress on the whole issue as yet, since my car is still in the run-in mode.

Cheers!

Last edited by anilkalvani : 4th May 2009 at 10:09.
Old 4th May 2009, 19:37   #141
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Santro (all manual) have been used under similar conditions and have consistently returned an average of 9-11kmpl.

The Santro Manual also has given a low figure compared to a similar car doing longer distances in city mode.

I am sure a longer distance in highway should make facts clearer. Not sure if a 80kms return trip would be sufficient, but better than only city runs.

@anil:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
since my car is still in the run-in mode.
In the really old days, The Padminis and Ambassadors did need running in. Even if you wanted to go to higher speeds, the new engines would overheat. Those days are gone now.

In the modern MPFI engines, there is hardly anything to be done to improve mileage etc during a service.
Old 5th May 2009, 08:54   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
The Santro Manual also has given a low figure compared to a similar car doing longer distances in city mode.
I am sure a longer distance in highway should make facts clearer. Not sure if a 80kms return trip would be sufficient, but better than only city runs.
Well i am thinking of taking her on a longer trip, but not on the bombay-pune expressway as i will be then just maintaining a constant speed. Want the engine to use all gears at variable speeds throughout the drive.

Quote:
@anil:
In the really old days, The Padminis and Ambassadors did need running in. Even if you wanted to go to higher speeds, the new engines would overheat. Those days are gone now.
In the modern MPFI engines, there is hardly anything to be done to improve mileage etc during a service.
Well i agree with you that modern engines don't require run-in's but it is mentioned in the manual to drive sedately till 1500kms on the ODO. Plus as many on tbhp have been religiously following the same, some even changing engine oil at 1500kms, i will go by it & hope that things do improve. I am going to check the mileage tomorrow so will update.

Last edited by anilkalvani : 5th May 2009 at 08:55.
Old 5th May 2009, 12:20   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Santro used to give an average of 10 odd for the same distance. The i10 kappa engine is supposed to be superior to the santro and should give more if not the same FE. Even an FE of -2 would be acceptable for such a small distance not -4.

Anyways, Hyundai responded to my email and are getting the car picked up tomorrow afternoon for a checkup.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 5th May 2009 at 12:22.
Old 6th May 2009, 11:23   #144
Senior - BHPian

Hope it comes out with better mileage once it comes out of the workshop.
Old 6th May 2009, 16:29   #145
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The i10 kappa engine is supposed to be superior to the santro and should give more if not the same FE.
The 1.2L Kappa engine is overall the superior, but that old Santro unit still has better city driveability. You can literally feel the better low end torque. Probably, that (lesser rpms needed) coupled with the lighter weight gives the Santro A/T better FE.
Old 6th May 2009, 22:01   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The 1.2L Kappa engine is overall the superior, but that old Santro unit still has better city driveability. You can literally feel the better low end torque. Probably, that (lesser rpms needed) coupled with the lighter weight gives the Santro A/T better FE.
Ya the max torque 90Nm comes around 2800rpm, correct me if I'm wrong. Hence the driveability is really good specifically within the city. Buttt it runs out of steam once on the highway.

@tejas
Hope you've got a good response from Hyundai Motors & they've managed to solve your problem.

Finally got my car accessorised today. But seat covers remain. HU and speakers (no amps or woofers), fog lamp, 3M sunfilm, changed the lousy horn, body cover, 2nd transparent floor mats. Will post pics tomorrow.
--
Sent from my BB
Old 7th May 2009, 01:40   #147
BHPian

I was looking at purchasing one of these for the Mrs. but the fuel efficiency is as good as my 2003 Type1 Honda Accord 2.3 Vtil - AT.

I guess I better keep looking for OHC AT, unless this gets resolved.
My Brothers 2000 OHC At gives him an average of 10kmpl in harsh city driving conditions with A/c on all the time.
Old 7th May 2009, 08:25   #148
sdh
BHPian

I find that there is bad reflection of the dash in the windshield. This is is very disturbing. Do others face similar issue. Is there any cure.
Old 7th May 2009, 13:53   #149
BHPian

Finally did the Accessorising yesterday being my weekly holiday.

First thing, got the puny horn changed.

My New Hyundai i10 Automatic-horn.jpg

got Bosch Twins fitted.

My New Hyundai i10 Automatic-horn-bosch.jpg

As the Front bumper had to be removed, the guy suckered my into buying Fog Lamps. Have to admit, they looked good.

My New Hyundai i10 Automatic-fog-lamp.jpg

Next was the Sunfilm. Here iwas clear, i wanted only 3M.

My New Hyundai i10 Automatic-sun-film.jpg

Checked the hologram for genuinity.

My New Hyundai i10 Automatic-sun-film-3m.jpg

Wanted a single piece for the rear screen.

My New Hyundai i10 Automatic-rear-sunfilm.jpg

Next was the ICE Setup. Mom made it clear that she did not want cutting anywhere as this was going to be used at home, so no amps no woofers.

Selected the HU, Pioneer 3150UB.

Name:  hu panel.jpg
Views: 5079
Size:  108.6 KB

I had gone out and the guy fitted it like this...

My New Hyundai i10 Automatic-hu-shabbily-put.jpg

Got it refixed properly.

My New Hyundai i10 Automatic-pioneer-hu.jpg

See the USB Slot & Aux-in

My New Hyundai i10 Automatic-usb-slot.jpg

got a steering remote too.

My New Hyundai i10 Automatic-steering-remote.jpg

Next the speakers, selected 652 6" for all 4.

My New Hyundai i10 Automatic-speakers.jpg

My New Hyundai i10 Automatic-speakers-6-inchers.jpg

Sounded bad, so got damping rings installed.

My New Hyundai i10 Automatic-damping-ring-speakers.jpg

Lastly put additional Transparent Floor Mats over the OEM Mats.

My New Hyundai i10 Automatic-transparent-mats.jpg

Next in line are Seat covers. HID's i am still worried about warranty. Any pointers?

@ Tejas
did you get your problem solved with hyundai? do keep me posted.

will check FE today and post it.

More later....
Old 7th May 2009, 14:05   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Car was picked up yesterday by hyundai. Awesome customer feedback from them. Got four emails from different sections of hyundai india asking for my feedback, apologizing, etc. They will call me in the evening today to tell me updates.
The driver who picked up the car said that initially all i10 ATs give 7 average but mine is yet lower. I assume they are gonna blame the decrease FE on wider 185 tyres. Let's see...
Also they are fixing dents that were caused when my dad reversed into a wall. Quoted me 8.5, and then settled for 6.5. no insurance claim. Bumper to be replaced and the boot lid to be repainted. All work will be done in 4 days.

EDIT: Anil, how much did you pay for the windshield film? What % of reduction is it?
What kind of switch was used for the fog lamp and where did you install it?
Did the door trim fit properly and without modifications with the damping in place?
Does the steering remote work properly (specially at straight steering position) since it is at the same level as the HU? AFAIK the remote is designed to work when the HU is at a lower level.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 7th May 2009 at 14:10. Reason: See EDIT

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks