Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2009, 15:41   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
AFAIK, i10 uses the same gear box as Santro Auto. Hence, there should not be much of difference at least from the gear box perspective.
That's cool. I know one Santro auto owner who is quite happy with it's performance. Are you listening Santro auto owner?

Anil, i just saw that Auto does not come with Fog lamps? For my Magna, which costs way lesser, i negotiated that into the deal as a freebie.
Old 20th April 2009, 15:50   #32
BHPian

i10 Auto, Santro Auto and Verna Automatic, all have the same gearbox. While i10 and Santro use the same gearbox with no difference, Verna's 4 speed Auto gearbox has been strengthened mechanically for Verna's mechanics.

Some links to review of the i10 and Verna Auto which has this details.

Verna: http://hyundaiverna.co.in/images/expert/Autocar1.pdf
i10: http://hyundaii10.co.in/images/exper..._whatcar08.pdf
Old 20th April 2009, 15:53   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
As the brake pedal is pretty wide in an automatic car, I kept on banging the brakes.
Park that left leg as far away as possible from the pedal area! Else a rear-ending will be inevitable.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2009, 16:08   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
Here are the pictures, will write some more today

Great ride and that also an AT. I have always been a fan of AT as they are stress free for driving specially in the cities. I am sure you will never want to drive a manual again.
Old 20th April 2009, 16:19   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The best automatic city car one can buy today! I am a huge fan of the auto-i10. Congratulations & drive safe.
Thanks a ton! With the amount of positive feedback i got on this car & variant it was unanimous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Great car, AnilK! How does the i10 Auto compare with the Santro Auto? Are they still manufacturing the latter?
I have never driven an Auto Transmission in my life before so i would not be able to compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blwetorch View Post
I think, they have stopped manufacturing the Santro-Auto.

@ Anil- Congrats!...the photos look cool!
Thanks, i will post more pics after mods are done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
That's cool. I know one Santro auto owner who is quite happy with it's performance. Are you listening Santro auto owner?

Anil, i just saw that Auto does not come with Fog lamps? For my Magna, which costs way lesser, i negotiated that into the deal as a freebie.
I hope i am happy too with it in the years to come. Yes the auto does not come with Fog Lamps. I could put it as an after market fitment but seriously its of no use in a city like Bombay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Park that left leg as far away as possible from the pedal area! Else a rear-ending will be inevitable.
Yep, i am working on it, maybe thinking of tying up me left leg just like the gear locks, pin 'em down...
Old 21st April 2009, 09:39   #36
BHPian

A query

Guys can you help me out? what is this switch for? I have not got the manual as yet, will get it on thursday but am itching to know what this button is for.

My New Hyundai i10 Automatic-auto-box-query.jpg
Old 21st April 2009, 10:45   #37
sdh
BHPian

That is switch for over drive system.
I cancels and engages overdrive. Overdrive off the gears are limited from 1 to 3.
When ignition is switched off, overdrive OFF mode is automatically cancelled.

Last edited by sdh : 21st April 2009 at 10:47.
Old 21st April 2009, 10:56   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdh View Post
That is switch for over drive system.
I cancels and engages overdrive. Overdrive off the gears are limited from 1 to 3.
When ignition is switched off, overdrive OFF mode is automatically cancelled.
Could you please explain it in layman's terms or a short description when and how to engage. Thanks.
Old 21st April 2009, 11:42   #39
sdh
BHPian

What is written in the manual:
Pressing o/d system cancels and engages overdrive system. When the o/d system is cancelled, the o/d off indicator illuminates and the transaxle gear range is limited to 1st through 3rd. The transaxle will not shift to 4th gear until the o/d system button is pressed again to release the switch.
When driving down a loping road with transaxle in o/d (4th gear), you can decrease the vehicl speed without using the brakes by pressing o/d button.
When the ignition is switched off, o/d OFF mode is automatically cancelled.

So basically the 4th gear is over drive gear like the 5th in manual gear shift. You can prevent the auto gear shift from engaging 4th gear if you want by pressing the o/d switch.
So basically L position restricts to 1st gear (my guess), 2 Position restircts to 2nd gear, D will go upto 4th gear unless you press o/d switch.

Last edited by sdh : 21st April 2009 at 11:46.
Old 21st April 2009, 12:30   #40
BHPian

Quote:
So basically the 4th gear is over drive gear like the 5th in manual gear shift. You can prevent the auto gear shift from engaging 4th gear if you want by pressing the o/d switch.
So basically L position restricts to 1st gear (my guess), 2 Position restircts to 2nd gear, D will go upto 4th gear unless you press o/d switch.
Thanks. Its really fascinating for a newbie like me. Even though i've driven for so many years and have had so many cars, i feel that excitement everytime i get a new car, more so since its my first autobox.
Old 21st April 2009, 16:00   #41
sdh
BHPian

Another interesting trick for auto gearbox, described in the manual.

If you need extra power during overtaking, just floor the accelerator pedal fully. The car will do a down gear shift and accelerate. Once overtaking is done, just resume to normal accelerator position.

Try it if you have not already discovered this.
Old 21st April 2009, 16:17   #42
BHPian

Quote:

If you need extra power during overtaking, just floor the accelerator pedal fully. The car will do a down gear shift and accelerate. Once overtaking is done, just resume to normal accelerator position.

Thanks, waiting till thursday for the manual. Will try it.

Last edited by anilkalvani : 21st April 2009 at 16:20.
Old 21st April 2009, 16:18   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I believe this is a standard feature that is available in all (finger crossed) auto boxes. A sudden acceleration will downshift the gear and is used for quicker acceleration.

But a good pointer for people who are starting out with A/T's.
Old 21st April 2009, 16:49   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
I believe this is a standard feature that is available in all (finger crossed) auto boxes. A sudden acceleration will downshift the gear and is used for quicker acceleration.

But a good pointer for people who are starting out with A/T's.
Yeah it's a standard feature known as kickdown. Also, you can excercise some sort of control over the gears in an A/T actually, in D mode, by modulating the extent that the accelerator pedal is pressed. For example, if you've pressed it down about 3/4th of the depth for some acceleration and then almost lift-off / bring it to about 1/4th depth, the gearbox will sense this and shift up another gear. This is from personal experience.

Anyway, here's something from the vast depths of team-bhp's enriched knowledge to help you out.

Thread 1

Thread 2

There are many more than these, look them up.
Old 21st April 2009, 17:49   #45
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Using kickdown mode too frequently would be a sure shot way of dirving down the fuel effeciency.

Use Kickdown more in the highways for overtaking in a hurry. For most normal usage aviod the Kickdown mode.

The Kickdown mode obviously strains the engine, transmision and gearbox to the max level. Though they are designed to take it, avoiding too frequent a use is advised. Its similar to downshifting from say the 4th to the 3rd or directly even the 2nd gear at high RPM's, the acceleration and torque availability would go up for the urgent manover that is planned.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks