Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2009, 01:21   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Why can't opt only for a rear spoiler,it looks dam sweet on the SX4

We had an esteem once and the spoiler on it got stolen twice hence I am a bit apprehensive about installing one.
Old 15th September 2009, 03:19   #62
BHPian

??

Help Needed!!

Problem / Dilemma / Heart-Ache

I had been trying to ignore this issue for a while now, but its been almost 10 days or so since I have been noticing vibrations in the cabin, initially I thought that it could be related to lower quality or adulteration in fuel. But I have had fuel filled twice after the first time I noticed this. I am getting worried as the car is new and its not supposed to vibrate.

During cold starts there is no vibration at all as the RPM is high around 1.5K but once the engine begins to settle down the vibrations slowly start to creep into the cabin,
The car vibrates at Idle (With & Without A/C) around the 600-800 rpm mark i.e. when the engine is warmed up. Also the tachometer needle flickers at times, generally whenever the fan starts or switches off.

Is the synthetic oil the reason for this or is it something else as that was the only thing different during the first free service??
If the need be I am willing to get an additional oil change done and go back to whatever oil that would stop the vibrataions ??
Guys I am very as the car is just 2 months old and close to 2800kms on the clock?? I would really appreciate if someone could through light on this.
Old 15th September 2009, 03:22   #63
BHPian

Can be some rubber support in Engine Bay which needs attention.

as its only 2months old, you should check with your service center and they can locate and fix the issues.
Old 15th September 2009, 11:49   #64
Senior - BHPian

What kind of vibrations do you face? Do you face them in bumper to bumper traffic, or in stop and go traffic when the rpm is less than 1200? Is it accompanied with the engine not running smooth? If this is the case, the car is perfectly normal. The sx4 is not very clean revving below 1200 rpm.

Have the idling rpm checked at MASS to be sure.
Old 15th September 2009, 15:28   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Can be some rubber support in Engine Bay which needs attention. As its only 2months old, you should check with your service center and they can locate and fix the issues.
I seriously hope that its the rubber supports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
What kind of vibrations do you face? Do you face them in bumper to bumper traffic, or in stop and go traffic when the rpm is less than 1200? Is it accompanied with the engine not running smooth? If this is the case, the car is perfectly normal. The sx4 is not very clean revving below 1200 rpm.

Have the idling rpm checked at MASS to be sure.
Vibrations are not felt during start and go, bumper to bumper traffic.

The vibrations are felt when the engine is warmed up and at idle. Today in the morning during cold start there was no vibration as the RPM immediately after start up was at the 1.5K mark and then it settled at 1K as the engine was still not fully warmed up. But when I reached my college, after parking the car I let the car idle for about 2-3 minutes. This is what I noticed immediately after parking the car. The RPM is between 0.9 - 1K RPM after about 15 seconds or so it slowly starts to drop (The A/C is still on). Gradually over 10 seconds or so the RPM comes down to 0.7-0.8K RPM.

This is the point (0.7-0.8K RPM) where the car starts to Vibrate.

Irrespective of the fact that the A/C is on or not, Once the engine is warmed up and the RPM settles between 0.7-0.8K RPM the car simply starts to vibrate.

This was not there earlier it has just started in the past 10-11 days.
Old 21st September 2009, 17:50   #66
BHPian

I had gone to Competent Automobiles Mehrauli, this Saturday (19-Sept-2009), Met the Service Manager showed him the car, he took a small test drive and then got it inspected by a mechanic but unfortunately the car did not vibrate at all at the service station. I asked them what cold be the reason for the vibrations, to which they replied that it could be caused by several factors and it would take 2-3 hours to diagnose the problem.

They suggested me to drive the car for a few more days and if possible till the next service @ 5000 km. As the car was not vibrating and the RPM some how remained constantly above 850. I had no option but to leave as I was not being able to prove my point.

I reached home at about 8 in the evening. But to my utter disbelief when I was about to switch of the engine I noticed that the RPM Needle has started dancing all over again.
So I started video recording the the whole eposide. the RPM actually went down till 550 and remained there irrespective of the A/C (tried switching it on and off). I even revved the engine till about 2500-3000 RPM but then again it come down and settled at 550 and the car was vibrating.

But now I have the whole thing recorded on my phone so I will be going there again this week with the proof.

Apart from all this the following changes have taken place:

1. De-badged the car. (The fat rear end of the car is now all nice & smooth)
2. Installed a carpet on the parcel tray, MGA.
3. Roll down sunshade (Rear).
Old 23rd September 2009, 23:07   #67
BHPian

Hi,

I went to RANA Motors Okhla today (23-Sept-2009), Instead of Competent Automobiles Mehrauli to whom I had gone on Saturday 19-Sept-2009. The reason for going to Rana instead of Competent is that I bought the car from Rana and even though Rana Motors is about 20KM further away than Competent for me. I still took the plunge hoping that they might be able to cure the Vibration.

I reached at 1600hrs, a service advisor was standing near the entrance, who attended me almost instantaneously. I told him the problem being faced by me. He immediately sat in the drivers seat and acknowledged that the car was indeed vibrating more than normal, then they compared my car to another SX4 which had come for its 1st service that car was not vibrating and the RPM in that car was around the 700-800 RPM Band. It was not going below 700.

Once it was confirmed that there was something wrong with my car it was taken inside the service station, over there they checked, cleaned and re-calibrated the throttle body of the engine, then on my request they scanned the car using Tech II which is the scanning tool used by Maruti. After this I was asked to inspect the car upon inspection I notice that the vibrations are still very much there. Then these guys raise my car on the pillar lifts and tighten the engine mounts and brackets. Once all of this was over they told me that in case the vibration still continues then I should get the car on any week-day preferably at 0900hr and they would check it throughly and if the need be then they would call up people directly from Maruti and replace all the faulty engine mounts.

As usual at the time of departure 1830hrs, the car seemed perfect, but when I reached home the RPM still went below the 600 RPM mark and the car started vibrating.

After parking my car I found 2 friends who own an SX4 and Swift
bought a month or two before my purchase. I sat in my friends SX4 and noticed that the exact same vibrations are felt in the car (The seats and backrests made me feel as if I am sitting on a faulty massage chair). In the swift on the other hand there are no vibrations at all, the car feels completely calm, composed and one hardly got know if the engine was switched on or not. Also the tachometer of the Swift was clearly at the 900 RPM point and no flickering or dancing of the tachometer needle whatsoever.

I will be going there again, guys any suggestions / tips / guidance would be highly welcome!!

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th September 2009 at 23:30. Reason: Please use the REPORT POST button to alert the mods for title changes etc. Thanks.
Old 25th September 2009, 20:28   #68
Senior - BHPian

Maglev, your car vibrates as if it's still some old 80's Maruti. Buddy, what's the update?
Old 25th September 2009, 22:21   #69
Senior - BHPian

Maglev,

Am extremely sad that your 2 month old SX4 is giving you so much problem and MASS is not able to solve it. It hurts when your decision is proved wrong and your hard earned money is spent on a product which doesnt give satisfaction.

I have never owned a Maruti for last 10 years but reading on this forum, please escalate the issue to Maruti through their online systems. They wont mind sending some senior mechanics to personally inspect your car.
For a new Ritz here, some mechanics had come from gurgaon and changed the faulty ECU there.
With Maruti, i hope you have less reasons to worry. Escalate your problems, you shouldnt compromise on anything when you spent 7L+
Old 15th October 2009, 23:06   #70
BHPian

I had purchased SX4 VXI from Rana Motors on Sep 25 2009 and got my first free service done on Oct 10 2009, after it had run 1100 KMs.
In my case I got the CNG fitted from Rana Motors on the first day.

I also had this problem of kind of vibration when the car is idle and at low RPM. First I thought its because of CNG, but i checked and found its same for Petrol also.
And yes sometimes the RPM goes quite low in the range of 600 and thats where the trouble is. Sometimes as traffic light goes green you need to press the accelerator to increase the RPM to make sure the Car don't stop. My engine stopped twice or thrice when I tried to start the car in low RPM at green light.

I told this to the service adviser and he told me its normal in SX4 in low RPMs. After service he even asked the mechanic to increase the RPM a bit, but I said no as he had not explained why RPM is to be increased. After all he himself said its normal in this car and I also have this intuition that high RPM means low mileage.

So looks like the only solution to this problem is to increase the default/idle condition RPM of the car.
But the question is what is the correct level where it should be set.

For FYI, my car is running great in CNG and the electrician who did most of the installation said, just drive car for 2 3 KM everyday and then switch over to CNG.
I am getting mileage of around 16-17 KM per KG of CNG gas. And I live in Vasant Kunj where we have two CNG outlets so never had to stay in queue for refill.
Old 16th October 2009, 00:08   #71
BHPian

I Guess its a pretty well known issue with the SX4. I used to get it when ever i used the shell premium petrol on this car. The car suddenly starts to idle very low(500 RPM) but gives unbelievable mileage numbers. 800 rpm is the normal idle.

Moving back to BP normal petrol solved the problem, its run over 19k in a year and engine feels as good as new. Its definitely nothing to do with the oil.

Last edited by arunmur : 16th October 2009 at 00:09.
Old 16th October 2009, 00:48   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

If you see flickering on tacho needle engine mounts cannot be source of problem for sure.

Get the car scanned again, its either ECM or some sensor playing games with you. If you can travel down to gurgaon Pasco is a very good service centre.
Old 16th October 2009, 09:14   #73
Senior - BHPian

Here is another update. I had same issue, this time I got really angry and wrote a mail to first Vipul Motors and was about to take it forward to Maruti.

But then I received call from Vipul.

I told them card Vibrates at Idle, and judders on pick-up from idle. Also I showed them that RPM goes down when I switch ON AC and goes up when I OFF it, where as reverse should have happened.

In last 20K service they did throttle body recalibration but to no help. Now they called there led mechanic and said he will need the car for 4-5 hrs but will fix the problem.

Atleast he understood the problem,

Service Advisor tried to convince me by showing the other SX4, I blasted on him right left, and he never showed his face again to me.
Old 16th October 2009, 11:02   #74
BHPian

Is this problem only related to Delhi ? and Delhi customers ? I went through all the posts and one thing is common that the issue has erected after the service. Seems like they might have re calibrated or reset the idle which is not matching with the company settings.
Old 16th October 2009, 11:21   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez02 View Post
I went through all the posts and one thing is common that the issue has erected after the service. Seems like they might have re calibrated or reset the idle which is not matching with the company settings.
No, for me this did not happened after service, but is there for long time

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks