Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2009, 12:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Test Drive : Hyundai i20 CRDi.

" When you have no plan, you can only predict things after they have happened "

Three test drives back to back and each car was miles ahead of the previous car. For me, yesterday was a day to remember.

Started with the stunning looking Red PUNTO MJD, then got floored by the i20 CRDi and then came the head shot- Porsche Carrera S.

The i20 CRDi test drive was a short one but still it left me impressed all ends.

It was a full loaded ASTA model with Sunroof, electonically foldable side mirrors, airbags etc.

Observations:

1. Amazing looks with fully loaded interiors. Electronically foldable mirrors were stunning and Gear lever knob was just a piece of art.

2. Engine is slightly noisier than the Getz with a typical Hyundai CRDi clatter while starting.

3. The performance is not breathtaking and it doesn't take off like an aircraft @ 2000rpm but speedo surely does climb up rapidly once its around 2000rpm. The redline is at 4750 rpm. The connectors of Petes box is similar to what i have in my Getz, so i assume it can be swapped. lol ;-)

4. It comes with a huge intercooler unlike the Verna which has a small one. Turbo upgrade possible ?

5. The driver seat is almost like a cockpit with so many controls, civic style dash and steering wheel.

6. Steering was very light and not very confident inspiring. I couldn't test it at high speeds so i will hold my comment on that for now. This now has made me realize how precise the Getz steering is.

7. Brakes were just brilliant, made me feel like i'm driving an Elantra. Took it to 80kph on a broken tarmac and stood on the brakes, it just stopped as if i hit a WALL.

8. The rear seat space is just adequate but the boot space is fine..

9. The gearbox was rough and not the slickest. Hyundai have provided better ones in the past. I hope this will get better when the car does runs in more. The reverse gear is same as the Verna.

Thats all for now, more details when i get another extensive TD of the car after the launch.

Cheers

Last edited by kpzen : 3rd July 2009 at 12:41.
Old 3rd July 2009, 12:46   #2
BHPian

Great to hear, we should be having a stonker of a hatch on our hands. Was there any perceivable turbo lag below 2000 rpm? How is the gear ratio and drivability in city?
Old 3rd July 2009, 12:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Were you able to get any information on the pricing?

And Where's the report on the Porsche?
Old 3rd July 2009, 12:54   #4
BHPian

Great to know that you could manage a TD. Who is the dealer where u TD? BTW, as per the spec max torque at 1750 RPM. So, did u see pick up only at 2K??

Last edited by Technocrat : 3rd July 2009 at 13:11. Reason: Please avoid quoting the full text from the quoted post especially when its on same page, thanks
Old 3rd July 2009, 13:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

hey prajesh we need more for diesel i20 and mainly its pricing, any information regarding that,is there a tourbo lag at 2k feld and how would you rate is with your 1.5 crdi getz.
Old 3rd July 2009, 13:18   #6
BHPian

Good first hand report
what was the quoted bhp is it 75 or 90?
any clues on pricing and the models which would come
a lot of confusion whetehr it would have magna or not?
cheers!
Old 3rd July 2009, 13:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

The plot thickens for a diesel hatchback buyer!

Hope they price it right this time.
Old 3rd July 2009, 13:51   #8
BHPian

Prajesh,

Where and how did get hands on i20 CRDi,, everyone here would like to know the power of the engine,price etc.

Let us know

cheers
Anju
Old 3rd July 2009, 13:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
And Do some publicity etc to promote its sales. the getz CRDI was something of a well kept secret
Old 3rd July 2009, 14:05   #10
BHPian

Looks like its gonna be 75bhp.
Otherwise, it should have surely taken off like an aircraft, a-la-verna.
Old 3rd July 2009, 14:12   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Now this is the engine that the i20 always needed! I'm excited. It better wear a competitive price tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
and then came the head shot- Porsche Carrera S.
Details and a new thread please.

Quote:
It was a full loaded ASTA model with Sunroof, electonically foldable side mirrors, airbags etc.
Glad they didn't go the Getz stripped-diesel way.

Quote:
The performance is not breathtaking and it doesn't take off like an aircraft @ 2000rpm but speedo surely does climb up rapidly once its around 2000rpm. The redline is at 4750 rpm. The connectors of Petes box is similar to what i have in my Getz, so i assume it can be swapped. lol ;-)
How was it in comparo to the Punto MJD? As long as performance is like other hatches wearing the national engine (Fiat 1.3), it will serve the needs of the target market.

Quote:
6. Steering was very light and not very confident inspiring.
Typical of new Hyundais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash View Post
BTW, as per the spec max torque at 1750 RPM. So, did u see pick up only at 2K??
I'm curious as well.

Thanks for sharing, KPZen.
Old 3rd July 2009, 14:22   #12
BHPian

True,, 75 BHP means no VGT, I wish they launch the one with 90BHP.
But end of the day, as long as transmission of power from engine to wheel(which Hyundai is still learning) is good, 75BHP+200Odd torque is more than enough for good performance of i20.
I still belive that for 110 BHP mill Getz do not have the IDEAL gearbox to tranfer the monster to the wheel.
Hope they get it right for i20 atleast.

I would never buy argument that i20/Getz are priced high... guys just get into these cars and see the kind fit,finish,quality material used in these cars. Just see the interior of i10,Palio,Indica,Swift..
i20,, you can compare only with Jazz,Fabia no one else. All good stuff cost money,, hence relatively they are expensive than other lot.
When people complained about Getz being expensive to Swift, you got to see that Getz had tilt steering/60/40 spli foldable rear seat with 3 level recline,clutch lock, good interior quality,VGT(for diesel) etc.. which Swift did not have.

Now i20 has rear ac vent, default reardefogger,height adjusting seat and so many others which other cars may not have. In my book i20 is still value for the money you pay,,, just see same featured Jazz is much expensive...

cheers
Anju
Old 3rd July 2009, 14:40   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
The plot thickens for a diesel hatchback buyer!

They won't !!! Hyundai has this unique ability of messing things up with inflated pricing

I won't be surprised if i-20 diesel pricing exceeds Punto's pricing by 50k
Old 3rd July 2009, 14:47   #14
BHPian

I guess it might be priced closed to Jazz's prize.
Old 3rd July 2009, 14:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
They won't !!! Hyundai has this unique ability of messing things up with inflated pricing

I won't be surprised if i-20 diesel pricing exceeds Punto's pricing by 50k
That wont be a bad thing after all, would it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks