Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2009, 12:10   #106
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
For once, let's leave everything else like looks, fuel economy, price, interior, slick shifts, stalks aside and judge if i20 CRDi can beat Getz CRDi on a highway, in top speed and acceleration. i am positive it cannot.
Actually, the price is better on the getz. and i dont think anyone will question the performance of the getz

Old 20th July 2009, 12:46   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For once, let's leave everything else like looks, fuel economy, price, interior, slick shifts, stalks aside and judge if i20 CRDi can beat Getz CRDi on a highway, in top speed and acceleration. i am positive it cannot.
No it can't but its faster than most hatchbacks in the market.

Its the only car which i could even think of buying after driving Getz for a year.
Old 20th July 2009, 12:50   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
No it can't but its faster than most hatchbacks in the market.

Its the only car which i could even think of buying after driving Getz for a year.
yes very true it is faster then most hatchbacks available in market.
Had a small TD of crdi i20 yesterday which came for a neighbour and i joined in, was impressed with its handling and never felt too soft suspention infact handled very well on bad roads as well on cornering, though couldnot go onhighways to check higher speed but overall what i drove, felt a perfect balance of ride and handling, only thing i was not comfortable was its very light steering which may be needs to get used to it but was better then jazz's which was felt more lighter then this.
Old 20th July 2009, 15:17   #109
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitartha View Post
Been there, done that. @muneemmk 3 Lakh+ people dont seem to agree. Dark interiors are actually more practical than beige (which gets dirty easily,causes eye glare on sunny days), boring or not is a matter of perspective. The Swift ZXI comes with 185/70 R14 tubeless tyres on alloy wheels (skinny?).Rattles may be fixed for good by tightening a few nuts or adding a little padding but fixing an entire car (broader tyres,engine mods,new suspension,new monoque structure?) wont be such a cheap affair.The Getz was already present in the segment much before the Swift and yet very few people were laying there hands on it. As Aseem has so rightly stated, it just "GETZ" you from point A to point B (pun intended)

i-20 is the nextgen Getz worldwide and retains some of the characteristics of its predecessor. But comparatively it is a much refined package.
Getz has been discussed in many forums over and over again. It did not sell only because of one simple reason - price. A hatch with a premium engine but without premium features simply could not command that sort of price. No other issues with the car. I have never seen a Getz owner complain. Those who bought the Getz were actually India's own sportz car buyers - and they got what they wanted. A Getz CRDI cannot be over taken by a sub 10 Lakhs car. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilenow View Post
A man after my own heart.
The engine is fan-tas-tic,read it again,fantastic,the 1.4 crdi in the i20.

Now here comes the dampener,i have done this both with the verna[unintentional] and the i20[intentional].
A sudden lane change[hurrah for cross-cutting bikers] at speeds of about 70,the verna's rear end just went right to left and back for over 7 seconds. It wasn't heart stopping for me,but the people sitting in the back seat went in coma with that experience. The 110 bhp engine is marvelous,but where is the chassis support?[subjective opinion]

Same with the i20 crdi,this time the sudden change was intentional,and vola,the car was unable to keep up.
Now don't take it as if i am bashing i20 or hyundai,its a fantastic car and the manufacturer is also pretty decent,but handling wise,right about now no car in this segment matches the punto.

This man speaks the truth.
And the i20 is a good city car,just don't go trailblazing with it,with all that power,take it from an amateur rally car driver,you'll be engaging the airbags quicker than you can say "oh @#@#$".

Personal verdict- buy the i20 crdi,if you have the money,the punto maybe all that and more,but give credit where its due,handling is on a different plane of existence altogether in the punto.
I own a Verna CRDI and am completing one year and 20k km this week. Must have done that lane change @ 70 to 80 kmph in Bangalore's outer ring roads many hundred times! Sorry, I'm unable to relate to your experience!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 20th July 2009 at 15:45. Reason: Please read the note in post. thanks
Old 20th July 2009, 15:40   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In a straight line, hell no! No contest at all. Getz will cream the i20.

That said, i ll prefer to drive at 120 kmph on the the highway in an i20 rather than a getz. Why?

1) Brakes (Abs + 4 Discs)
2) Airbags
3) NCAP rating.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 20th July 2009 at 15:41.
Old 20th July 2009, 16:22   #111
BANNED

Folks asking about what geometry turbo is used in the i20 CRDi - I happened to watch the Autocar show on UTV last night. They said that the i20 makes do with an FGT to keep costs low (unlike the Verna's VGT).

That may affect torque at lower RPM's (if and only if you are comparing it to the Verna's VGT, which starts picking up torque starting at lower rpm's). Other diesels without VGT (like the Swift and Fiesta) may be worse in this matter when compared to the i20 CRDi.

So in all probability, what many posted as WGT may be a variation of the FGT, like one member posted. This still needs to be confirmed though.

Last edited by sdmn : 20th July 2009 at 16:25.
Old 20th July 2009, 16:46   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmn View Post
Folks asking about what geometry turbo is used in the i20 CRDi - I happened to watch the Autocar show on UTV last night. They said that the i20 makes do with an FGT to keep costs low (unlike the Verna's VGT).

That may affect torque at lower RPM's (if and only if you are comparing it to the Verna's VGT, which starts picking up torque starting at lower rpm's). Other diesels without VGT (like the Swift and Fiesta) may be worse in this matter when compared to the i20 CRDi.

So in all probability, what many posted as WGT may be a variation of the FGT, like one member posted. This still needs to be confirmed though.
well quite possible as this is what is felt in new 1.4 crdi, but needs to be confirmed though.
Old 20th July 2009, 18:41   #113
rippergeo

The turbolag is not an issue in the I20, even if it is an FGT(is it?). Tded it last week . Has more low end torque than any other hatch in the market. I daresay, the low end was better than even the verna I'm used to.

Old 20th July 2009, 19:25   #114
Senior - BHPian

True, torque/turbo lag is not an issue with this engine...

UK site just mentions 16 valve with WGT ...
Old 21st July 2009, 11:40   #115
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
The turbolag is not an issue in the I20, even if it is an FGT(is it?). Tded it last week . Has more low end torque than any other hatch in the market. I daresay, the low end was better than even the verna I'm used to.
Quite possible, since the i20 being smaller and lighter than the Verna may not really miss the VGT. The primary advantage of having a VGT is that the turbo starts kicking in at lower rpm's than what happens in a FGT - thereby giving the car more torque at lower rpms too. I have often heard the soft turbo hiss between 1000 to 1800 rpm on my Verna and realized that the turbo was already doing it's job!

The Autocar review on UTV did mention that the i20 CRDi does not have the explosive power surge that the Verna / Getz CRDi have once in the turbo band. However, they emphasized that the power surge is very much noticeable though, and better than any other diesel hatch around; and more than sufficient to comfortably overtake on the highways. 90bhp is big for a hatch!

Last edited by sdmn : 21st July 2009 at 11:45.
Old 21st July 2009, 11:59   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
That said, i ll prefer to drive at 120 kmph on the the highway in an i20 rather than a getz. Why?

1) Brakes (Abs + 4 Discs)
2) Airbags
3) NCAP rating.
It is a great package, though costly.
Old 21st July 2009, 12:30   #117
BHPian

Anyone knows how many TBHPians booked i20 CRDI?
Old 21st July 2009, 12:35   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
Anyone knows how many TBHPians booked i20 CRDI?
not sure though two i guess.
Old 21st July 2009, 12:51   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Huge Intercooler !!!

A similar job was done to Embera to minimize the turbo lag.

Last edited by kpzen : 21st July 2009 at 12:53.
Old 21st July 2009, 14:03   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
not sure though two i guess.
+1 (me) = 3

Thats a very low number IMO ..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks