Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2009, 13:10   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
If you have read my post properly I am talking about the steering which is electric in both the cases.
Both Getz CRDI and petrol have hydraulic steering setups but petrol version has a vague and light weighted steering whereas the CRDi has a precise/ well weighted steering.
Assuming that you are an expert in steering setups please explain how's that possible in Getz ? and on what basis you make comments on a car which you haven't driven ??

FYI, a diesel variant is not all about just plonking an engine. There's always more changes and testing done before launching a different variant.
Old 30th July 2009, 15:04   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Both Getz CRDI and petrol have hydraulic steering setups but petrol version has a vague and light weighted steering whereas the CRDi has a precise/ well weighted steering.
Assuming that you are an expert in steering setups please explain how's that possible in Getz ? and on what basis you make comments on a car which you haven't driven ??

FYI, a diesel variant is not all about just plonking an engine. There's always more changes and testing done before launching a different variant.
The suspension setup or atleast the settings are different for sure.

Shyam
Old 30th July 2009, 17:35   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I believe e_t was talking about i20 and not Getz.
Old 30th July 2009, 17:43   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I havent driven getz enough to judge or confirm and I also know that there isnt any difference b/w the steering a Swift VXi and VDi. It feels different because difference in weight on the front axle, ie because of the engine. The same would be true for Getz too but that doesnt make it well weighed or precise!
Old 30th July 2009, 18:26   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I believe e_t was talking about i20 and not Getz.
Neither is this an i20 petrol thread.. Btw getz was just an example from the hyundai stable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I havent driven getz enough to judge or confirm and I also know that there isnt any difference b/w the steering a Swift VXi and VDi. It feels different because difference in weight on the front axle, ie because of the engine. The same would be true for Getz too but that doesnt make it well weighed or precise!
Great. First u say you haven't driven a getz crdi to judge and confirm then in the last statement u make an assumption about getz crdi steering response on basis of driving a swift.. aren't you?
Old 1st August 2009, 23:55   #186
BHPian

Gear shift

I recently TD the i20 CRDI. I found the gear shift a bit difficult to use. Had to apply too much effort. Any comments about the gear shift?
Old 2nd August 2009, 10:17   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
I recently TD the i20 CRDI. I found the gear shift a bit difficult to use. Had to apply too much effort. Any comments about the gear shift?
I had the same issue till I realized that I was not pushing the clutch down all the way. The gear shifting is like butter in this car.. so you shouldn't have an issue, unless the car you TD had some problem. This is one of the smoothest gear shifting I have experienced.
Old 2nd August 2009, 11:20   #188
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
I did two test drives, one in Bangalore and one in Pune. The first one was a scary experience. I did the test drive on the inner ring road, and in mildly damp conditions, the car squirmed and went almost out of control when doing a sudden lane change during turning. While I admit most people would not drive a car thus, this is something my Swift would have done with aplomb. Let truth be told, my Swift rode on Michelins and the test drive i20 on Apollo Acceleres and I believe there is no comparison.

It reacted as expected, tires immediately losing grip and car was all over the place. Another sharp turn at a moderate speed and the rear neatly swings out. Add the over-assisted, numb steering to the mix and you have what I call a 'dangerous tool in the hands of a novice'.
With a due respect, when I was evaluating which car to buy, heard similar comments about the Verna CRDi - too much power to handle, handles like a speedboat, rocky boat, sailboat, etc. One Team BHP user even gave a Korean name to my initials sdmn. Anyway, 1 year and 20k kms later, I wouldn't trade my Verna for any other car in India today.

Such comments are usually very subjective, and have to be taken with a pinch of salt anyday.
Old 2nd August 2009, 11:37   #189
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Until I went on to read your reasons, I was astonished that you would change a Honda Civic for a Hyundai!
I would not be surprised if anyone says this since Honda simply does not make turbodiesels! And in India, you will lose market share unless you have two things:

1. Make small cars
2. Make diesels

Regards,
Sandeep
Old 2nd August 2009, 14:23   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulcrum_77 View Post
I had the same issue till I realized that I was not pushing the clutch down all the way. The gear shifting is like butter in this car.. so you shouldn't have an issue, unless the car you TD had some problem. This is one of the smoothest gear shifting I have experienced.
yes here you need to push the clutch all the way down more then usual to get a butter smooth gear shift, nothing to say hard to shift, just clutch needs to press fully then normal which even i found out.
Old 2nd August 2009, 15:05   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Great. First u say you haven't driven a getz crdi to judge and confirm then in the last statement u make an assumption about getz crdi steering response on basis of driving a swift.. aren't you?
Nopes but you ARE! This was in reponse to your statement which said Petrol Getz has vague and light steering! I dont see any reason why would it be any different in Getz Diesel except a little heavier.
Old 2nd August 2009, 16:54   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
yes here you need to push the clutch all the way down more then usual to get a butter smooth gear shift, nothing to say hard to shift, just clutch needs to press fully then normal which even i found out.
Thanks guys! Guess I didn't get it right.

The next question. Does it make sense to buy this car instead of the 1.2 even though the yearly usage might be as low as 10k kms? If I don't mind shelling out the extra cash given that this engine is way better than the 1.2 (and this is coming from a guy who hasn't driven diesels for more than a few kms). My concerns are more related to maintenance, etc.
Old 3rd August 2009, 12:18   #193
BHPian

Had yet another TD over the weekend, just to check on few things - stability on lane changing, steering wheel, suspension, rear-seat.

TD of 1.2 Petrol - car had 8K KMs driven and had apollo accelere tyres.

Lane changing - While I did not try any high-speed stunts, I did try quick lane changes at reasonably fast speeds (the speeds at which I drive in) within the city and noticed the car handled to my satisfaction. Perhaps people find it inadequate in comparison to some other cars. I find it adequate to my needs. I would still go ahead with changing tyres to michelin.

Steering wheel - these concerns are well justified. The steering wheel is so free, it is alarming. What it means is, you always need to have your eyes glued to the road where you are going because steering wheel doesn't give you feedback. Need to cut down on the occasional turning of head to talk to somebody in the passenger seat or rear seat.

Another adjustment I need to do is that, I usually keep my hand on top of the steering wheel while driving. Usually the wheel gives resistance in other cars, so there is no risk of my hand slipping off to either side and consequently turning the wheel. But the wheel of i20 is so free, I couldn't keep my hand on top of the wheel without worrying about my hand slipping to either side and turning the car unwantedly. Fortunately, the right hand armrest on driver side door is at a convenient location from where I can hold the steering on the side.

Suspension - I felt it was better than Santro, but wife said it was as bad as Santro. I ran this car through a patch of bad road (not serious potholes) and the ride was bearable (no 'thud's), though not gliding. It wasn't the same in Santro when I rode over the same road later where I could hear and feel distinct thuds for every level-difference.

Seats - We checked out rear seat leg room and felt it was much better than Santro once we configured the front seats in comfortable positions. Coming from Santro, except for the driver seat - which can be height adjusted, all the remaining seats sit comparitively lower. None of us are taller than 5'9".

It looks great in almost all the colors! We are yet to decide between sparkling blue and white. Most likely blue it is.
Old 3rd August 2009, 12:58   #194
BHPian

Is it a problem or just my perception?

Friends,

Recently I went for test drive of I20 diesel. Specifically I asked for the Magna model, because Asto is out of my reach.

I felt getting in and out of the driver's seat is very difficult. I tried to adjust the steering column and driver seat to get a comfortable postion so that I can get in and get out of the car easily. What ever postion I set, my knees fouled with the steering wheel (I am 5 feet & 11 inches tall). This when I have my feet planted away from Accelerator/brake/clutch. If I get this position correct by having the steering colum lifted to top most position and moving away the driver seat, then reaching the pedals becomes a problem.

Even in my Maruti 800 I dont have this problem. I am able to get in and out very easily without my knee fouling with the steering. Also the reach to pedal is very easy. I tried the same with Santro, Jazz and many other vehicles.

My findings are as below:
Maruti 800, Swift, Santro - No fouling, easy in and out, easy driving postion
Jazz, I20 - fouling and not comfortable
Scorpio - very comfortable

Do anybody have a difference of opinion and try to throw some more fodder to this discussion. request you to add some more vehicles also.

Dear Mods: If a similar post is there elsewhere, please delete this thread and forgive me.

Regards,

csk

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd August 2009 at 14:36. Reason: Please continue here. Thanks
Old 3rd August 2009, 15:31   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmn View Post
Such comments are usually very subjective, and have to be taken with a pinch of salt anyday.
Everyone's comments are subjective, isn't it? One can only speak for oneself, of things one has seen and observed. I still stick by my comments. Please have all the salt you would like.

Good to know that the Verna suits your requirements. My test positively confirmed that i20 wouldn't be the car I would like to have, so I gave it a miss.

What is more appalling is that Hyundai showroom(Indiranagar) guys never got back to me, inspite of two showroom visits and a testdrive. Did I look like a deadbeat to them? The lady at desk at Advaith(Outer ring road) never even bothered to get my contact details when I dropped in to ask them if they have a TD car. Hyundai must be doing record sales, if they can afford to miss walk-in customers like this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks