Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2009, 16:48   #196
Senior - BHPian

Finally, got a chance to rip the i20 CRDi on the expressway.
1. Top speed is 180kph (speedo).
Till 160kph its a cakewalk for the 1.4 CRDi and after that it takes a while to reach 180kph. Low end is very linear with minimal turbo lag unlike Getz which is crazy. Mid range torque is damn strong u can feel it pull like a train. Top end was slightly less than what i had expected.
2. Steering is light and very similar to Sonata Transform. Doesn't inspire much confidence at high speeds. But, its still better than NHC and not as scary as it is made out to be.
3. Did quite a bit of high speed lane changes and the light steering played spoilsport. It oversteers but doesn't lose control.
4. Braking is just brilliant. One of the best in <10 lacs category.
5. Can't comment on the suspension as i was driving on smooth tarmacs.

Verdict : Light steering and pricing are the only 2 parameters where Hyundai have gone wrong otherwise its one of the best hatchbacks ever launched in Indian market.

Last edited by kpzen : 6th August 2009 at 16:52.
Old 9th August 2009, 11:02   #197
BHPian

One very good hatch

I had the pleasure of test driving a i20 CRDi. I was extremely impressed with the car and a brief feedback on the car
Interior and Comfort
-Extremely well laid out interiors
-Dash looks very neat
-The seats almost hug you. Passenger comfort is not limited to only driver and co-passenger but also the back seat passengers
-The steering mounted controls are functionally effective
-Steering with telescopic and tilt steering gives almost a perfect setting
-MFD gives almost everything one needs to know
-It is quite comfortable and quiet on the inside
Engine and Transmission
-Engine is extremely quiet for a Diesel
-The gear box is quite slick and slotting into gears isn’t a difficult task
-The power delivery is very linear and you don’t get pushed into the seat like some of the other CRDi’s
-The torque is great and in-gear acceleration is very good
-During the short test drive the MFD displayed instantaneous mileage of 20+ kmpl driving through peak traffic of Sadhashivnagar and Malleshwaram
-During the entire drive I never felt it to be under powered
Safety Features
Hyundai has learnt from their mistakes of Getz. I think they have done a good thing in addressing the pit falls in i20.
-All version of CRDi mill has ABS
-The Asta’s are similar to their petrol sibling
-The AIRBAGS are available only in the Asta version
Steering and Suspension
-The steering felt very light compared to the Accent CRDi that I drive
-The suspension wasn’t tested fully but on the short stretches it did quite admirably
Practicality
-The Electrically operated OVRM’s are very practical but may prove quite expensive to maintain with the impatient two wheelers
-I20 seems to be a well thought out car and very well laid out too
With Hyundai's excellent A.S.S they have a winner in i20

Best Regards

Sateesh
Old 9th August 2009, 11:07   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
-During the short test drive the MFD displayed instantaneous mileage of 20+ kmpl driving through peak traffic of Sadhashivnagar and Malleshwaram
I did not know the MFD displayed instantaneous mileage in the versions sold here. Nice.

Will be getting my 1.2 Petrol Asta this week, so will find out for sure.
Old 9th August 2009, 12:55   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
Does it make sense to buy this car instead of the petrol even though the yearly usage might be as low as 10k kms? My concerns are more related to maintenance, etc. rather than initial cost.
Could any of the diesel experts here comment on this?
Old 9th August 2009, 14:39   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys! Guess I didn't get it right.

The next question. Does it make sense to buy this car instead of the 1.2 even though the yearly usage might be as low as 10k kms? If I don't mind shelling out the extra cash given that this engine is way better than the 1.2 (and this is coming from a guy who hasn't driven diesels for more than a few kms). My concerns are more related to maintenance, etc.
It is answered here, though not specifically for i20.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...uy-diesel.html
Old 9th August 2009, 14:46   #201
BHPian

-During the entire drive I never felt it to be under powered

my i20 crdi which was delivered to me on 13th of July does not show instantaneous milage on its MFD. will someone confirm if the car comes with the feature and if it comes how to use it
Old 9th August 2009, 14:58   #202
BANNED

Quote:
Instantaneous mileage display in i20 ! can any other can confirm this ?
Old 9th August 2009, 17:48   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Instantaneous mileage display in i20 ! can any other can confirm this ?
Dont think thats a feature the i20 has, or else Hyundai would have definately publisized it...
Old 9th August 2009, 18:14   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could any of the diesel experts here comment on this?
By my calculations, with a running of 10000 kms annually, you will need to run the CRDi for 4 yrs+10 months before you break even as compared to the 1.2 petrol

So unless you want the Crdi for the power, it makes little sense for you.

Disclaimer: I have booked the i20 Asta Crdi, and have owned the Accent Crdi for 5 years.
Old 9th August 2009, 21:03   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Finally, got a chance to rip the i20 CRDi on the expressway.
1. Top speed is 180kph (speedo).
Till 160kph its a cakewalk for the 1.4 CRDi and after that it takes a while to reach 180kph. Low end is very linear with minimal turbo lag unlike Getz which is crazy. Mid range torque is damn strong u can feel it pull like a train. Top end was slightly less than what i had expected.
2. Steering is light and very similar to Sonata Transform. Doesn't inspire much confidence at high speeds. But, its still better than NHC and not as scary as it is made out to be.
3. Did quite a bit of high speed lane changes and the light steering played spoilsport. It oversteers but doesn't lose control.
4. Braking is just brilliant. One of the best in <10 lacs category.
5. Can't comment on the suspension as i was driving on smooth tarmacs.

Verdict : Light steering and pricing are the only 2 parameters where Hyundai have gone wrong otherwise its one of the best hatchbacks ever launched in Indian market.
Thanks kpzen---this is just what we were looking for! A pal of mine who owns a petrol Embera is planning to buy a diesel hatchback in order to cut down on his fuel expenses, while at the same time availing the tax benefits of a company lease/ loan.

He was contemplating the diesel Punto owing to its great looks, but it was me that told him about the i20 in the diesel avatar. Both of us agreed that the i20 looks better than the Punto which itself is a great looking car.
We went through sidindica's review of all contemporary diesel hatchbacks and found a wealth of information there, though we did not agree with him that the Punto is the best looker ---after all beauty lies in the eye of the beholder.

We were only worried a tad about the steering of the i20, but your comments that it is similar to the Sonata's provides immense releif! This apart, the wipers and light stalk are similar in all Hyundais in India, unlike Fiats. So he does not need to worry when he drives either the Embera or the i20 (in my case I mentally tell myself that I'm driving the Ford and not the WagonR so that I don't flounder).

He plans to TD both the Punto and the i20 soon to arrive at his own conclusion. Thanks once again.
Old 9th August 2009, 21:46   #206
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Dont think thats a feature the i20 has, or else Hyundai would have definately publisized it...
But even the publicized feature is not seen in the i20 ("illuminated" Glove Box)
Old 9th August 2009, 21:55   #207
Senior - BHPian

Nice review kpzen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
But even the publicized feature is not seen in the i20 ("illuminated" Glove Box)
I think it works with the headlamps. In my Getz 1.3 GLX, the glove box is illuminated whenever the headlamps are on. The feature makes sense in the night when it is dark.
Old 9th August 2009, 23:20   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
-MFD gives almost everything one needs to know

Eh?? What MFD?? and what all does it show?/ All i can see is the trip meters,sterer/radio info and the temperature. where is this Instant mileage reading shown??

If there is such a feature, then it is really great. wonder why hyundai is not even mentioning it anywhere!
Old 9th August 2009, 23:40   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Eh?? What MFD?? and what all does it show?/ All i can see is the.....
You got delivery of your car?
Old 10th August 2009, 09:00   #210

Quote:
-The Electrically operated OVRM’s are very practical but may prove quite expensive to maintain with the impatient two wheelers
Let me tell you my experience so far! Three dashed the driver side ORVM so far: 1 cycle (head on!), 1 motor cycle, 1 car (from behind at decent speed). There is not even a scratch on the ORVM! Its that rugged. When the car hit it from behind, I was certain the mirror is dead, but I was pleased to find out that the mirror can rotate all the way in the opposite direction too and so it does not break. I thanked God, honked at the driver and then moved on. Just love the ORVMs. I have started closing them now in heavy traffic (Holkar bridge jam in the Pune is one such example that I encounter everyday).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks