Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2009, 16:30   #226
BHPian

It is the tuning of the engine that is done during second service, the initial setup is done to ensure engine slurps up a bit of fuel, to run in smoothly
Old 25th August 2009, 16:34   #227
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyamtanu View Post
It is the tuning of the engine that is done during second service, the initial setup is done to ensure engine slurps up a bit of fuel, to run in smoothly
That sort of "setting" is not available on the hyundai common rails IIRC.
The skoda Pump Duse has a setting to adjust the injection timing and thereby adjust power and mileage. not seen one on the hyundais yet.

The old accent DLS had fuel pump adjustment. The common rails have none.

Old 25th August 2009, 16:43   #228
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

so much for this much touted "world car" launch platform etc then!

one thing I cannot understand is why cant they allow the consumer to choose which trim he/ she wants - provided of course he/ she is willing to wait and/or pay for the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinpak View Post
So after all what we get in India is not what they sell in UK. I was thinking that they were same. Now, I also see that, while we get Brown/Beige interiors (dash included), the UK versions get Black/Gray ones. The UK ones look really classy, and I would prefer them any day to the Indian ones.
Old 25th August 2009, 17:01   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
so much for this much touted "world car" launch platform etc then!

one thing I cannot understand is why cant they allow the consumer to choose which trim he/ she wants - provided of course he/ she is willing to wait and/or pay for the same.

Except for the all black dashboard on the UK models, we get everything else on the i20 here, right down to 6 airbags and Sunroof. Even the same engine spec. Compare that to cars like the punto, where the euro version gets high quality equipment and plastics,and better engines, whereas the whole dashboard design is different in the indian version, and the quality of plastics is pathetic to say the least.
Old 25th August 2009, 18:21   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Except for the all black dashboard on the UK models, we get everything else on the i20 here, right down to 6 airbags and Sunroof. Even the same engine spec. Compare that to cars like the punto, where the euro version gets high quality equipment and plastics,and better engines, whereas the whole dashboard design is different in the indian version, and the quality of plastics is pathetic to say the least.
Hyundai is pushing their luck with the six airbags. They can afford to do so with their success with i10. Obviously Fiat couldn't have done that. All it needs is to have basics to survive. I think they have got good enough stuff to start with.
Old 25th August 2009, 18:24   #231
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

in all things automotive as well as everything else, why should we Indians be so badly short-changed?

why should we always be made to play second-fiddle to the blighted export markets?

I cannot come to terms with this - even not-so-long ago, the best indian basmati rice used to be made unavailable to us Indians - the best quality used to go off to be sold abroad in the Gulf to the arabs! what about us?
why? is it just lip-service from these manufacturers of cars that we are the second largest growth area after China or what is it?

Quote:
Old 25th August 2009, 20:07   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
That sort of "setting" is not available on the hyundai common rails IIRC.
My i20 CRDi is idling at 900 rpm with A/C.... maybe they re adjust that...
Old 25th August 2009, 20:41   #233
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
My i20 CRDi is idling at 900 rpm with A/C.... maybe they re adjust that...
Its not possible to manually adjust the idling rpm of this diesel. maybe i'm wrong

Old 25th August 2009, 20:48   #234
BHPian

[quote=opendro;1449510]Hyundai is pushing their luck with the six airbags. quote]

Just curious. Why is Hyundai pushing their luck with 6 Airbags? For providing upscale safety options to the Indian populace??
Old 25th August 2009, 23:21   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Hyundai is pushing their luck with the six airbags.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayatarizona View Post

Just curious. Why is Hyundai pushing their luck with 6 Airbags? For providing upscale safety options to the Indian populace??

This is the problem with us Indians. If they do not offer 6 airbags, people will crib all day about how Indians are given step motherly treatment, euro cars have more importance to safety etc etc. But when some company comes forward and offers premium features in a hatch, it is 'pushing their luck' Nonsense!!!
Old 26th August 2009, 10:03   #236
BHPian

Quote:

This is the problem with us Indians. If they do not offer 6 airbags, people will crib all day about how Indians are given step motherly treatment, euro cars have more importance to safety etc etc. But when some company comes forward and offers premium features in a hatch, it is 'pushing their luck' Nonsense!!!
I did mention that Hyundai can afford to do it because they have had good success with i10 with good features. I do appreciate what Hyundai has provided, that is the way to go. I was talking in general about the Indian buyers. 8.5L for i20 is surely hard to digest for most people. Of course, Jazz beats that price. I only mentioned that Fiat couldn't have taken that line. If Linea and Punto continue to sell more, I expect more from Fiat. I know that manufacturers could give it as an option. But then that involves some investment cost on their front, which is exactly why Maruti does not give airbags at all for diesel Ritz/Swift, in spite of being the big volume seller. Please try to understand before dubbing one's opinion as nonsense. In fact, I was praying that Fiat gives a dualogic auto, with hill holder, rain/light sensors, ASR, ESP, etc.

Last edited by opendro : 26th August 2009 at 10:05.
Old 26th August 2009, 12:12   #237
BHPian

Recently I went for a test drive of I20 diesel. The dealer was "Suryabal Hyundai", Coimbatore.

Sales person was extremely courteous (Mr. Ranjith) and was willing to answer all my questions. We had 2 test drives.

First small test drive was done 3 weeks before at 7.00 PM. We were only able to check the parking practicality in my house and was able to go only for a short city drive.

My initial impressions of the short first test drive were:
  • My family was quite impressed with the rear space. But the third person who is sitting in rear middle does not have comfort because of the contour of the seat.
  • I was not able to get a good seating position in the driver’s seat. If I set the seat and steering column for comfortable driving position, ingress and egress was a big problem. Legs fouling. If I set for easy entry and exit, the driving position is wrong. I told that I should once again check this problem.
  • I was told that I will get a comfortable mileage of 18+ kmpl
I requested them one more test drive and they immediately accepted it and offered to arrange it. The second test drive was taken on 22/08/2009.

For the second test drive, we had Mr. Rajesh kumar (Training Manager) also with us and he explained me about all the queries raised by me. Seeing that I was so particular about the fuel efficiency figures, he offered me to conduct the test immediately for me with me on the wheel. That was a real surprise for me and I readily accepted it.

Few more of my queries and the reply I got is listed below:
1. I explained my doubt about the good seating position.(mentioned above). I demonstrated the whole problem to them and they accepted it. The only remedy is to pull back the seat every time when I get out of the car and once again re-position the seat after I get in. It seemed not correct, no other way.
2. Rear seat AC vent. They were able show the spot below driver seat from where the air comes out.
3. They explained that WGT (Waste gate geometric turbo) is acronym used by Hyundai and is similar to FGT (Fixed geometric turbo). I20 do not have VGT.
4. Vibrations due to even small road irregularities was felt in the rear seat passenger.

Now for test drive. We filled diesel to the brim and set out for the drive. The Odometer of the car was having 3500+ km (have sufficiently run-in). The trip meter was set to zero. For the entire stretch, we had the AC running. Mr. Rajesh asked to vary my driving style so as to simulate all driving condition. Total distance driven 27.7 km. One half was driven by me and second half was by Mr. Rajesh who pushed the vehicle over 100 kmph and also drove very aggressively. My drive was little bit sedate.

We refilled in the same pump to the exact level as first one. The diesel consumption was 1.497 liters, which means a mileage of 18.503 kmpl.

In my opinion, in regular driving conditions we will get 16-17kmpl in city and 19-20 kmpl in highway.

Last edited by Jaggu : 26th August 2009 at 12:52. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid cut pasting from external font editors. Thanks
Old 26th August 2009, 13:03   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
I don't think any of the i20 variants come with instant and average mileage display. It's really surprising.
In manual ( release June 2009 ) instant mileage display is available,
so why H published such book if there is no such functions, are they fooling customers or what?
Old 27th August 2009, 00:16   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Except for the all black dashboard on the UK models, we get everything else on the i20 here, right down to 6 airbags and Sunroof.
Not true. Here's a subset of what's missing:

1. Distance to empty and fuel-consumption indicators in the MID
2. Illuminated Glovebox (the cut out in the plastic is there, but no bulb/holder)
3. Vanity mirror
4. Choice of seat colors

All small things that would not have cost Hyundai much to provide here. Less than 1000 rupees for the first three?

I love my i20, but these few small things would have made it just perfect.
Old 27th August 2009, 00:21   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by icar View Post
In manual ( release June 2009 ) instant mileage display is available,
so why H published such book if there is no such functions, are they fooling customers or what?
In the manual, for these functions, it also says in brackets "(if equipped)".

Looks like this is because they print only one manual across all the variants.

I have an Asta, and the manual explains the controls for the Manual AC (in Magna), as well as the Automatic Climate Control system (in the Asta). Personally, I prefer this kind of manual that explains all the features across models (but this is for information only). But some people might prefer a manual that is tailored to their particular model.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks