Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2009, 18:12   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
+1 (me) = 3

Thats a very low number IMO ..
Do you care? You will be part of a very exclusive club(compared to the Punto - many ownership threads now appearing). Anyone in this club booked the Asta(O) yet?
Old 21st July 2009, 18:48   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
+1 (me) = 3

Thats a very low number IMO ..
+1(me). there are some more. Not just posted here, that's all!
Old 21st July 2009, 19:08   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Do you care? You will be part of a very exclusive club(compared to the Punto - many ownership threads now appearing). Anyone in this club booked the Asta(O) yet?
Do i care?? ... Naah!

Could not book the Asta (O) even though I wanted to .. no money
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:37   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmn View Post

A Getz CRDI cannot be over taken by a sub 10 Lakhs car. Period.

That is not a fact. Maybe you're right when comparing Diesels. You forget that this country still has the Palio 1.6, the S10 (which can easily cruise all day at 190kmph) & the old City Vtec (though not in production anymore).

Plus, the Getz (though devastatingly powerful) just cannot handle that power - it feels vague. The i20 feels much more comfortable & inspiring at high speeds (but I do not like its steering manners).
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:05   #125
Senior - BHPian

I think he meant currently in Production Sub 10 lakh car
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:40   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrack View Post
That is not a fact. Maybe you're right when comparing Diesels. You forget that this country still has the Palio 1.6, the S10 (which can easily cruise all day at 190kmph) & the old City Vtec (though not in production anymore).

When it comes to diesel its not about top speed its the acceleration where the petrols will be left behind unless they redline in each gear and end up with single digit FE.

Quote:
Plus, the Getz (though devastatingly powerful) just cannot handle that power - it feels vague. The i20 feels much more comfortable & inspiring at high speeds (but I do not like its steering manners).
Been there done that in Getz . Have you ??
Getz is so planted at speeds above 180+ kph with a very well weighted steering.
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:43   #127
aZa
Senior - BHPian

KP, i see a Fiat punto in your signature ???
Old 22nd July 2009, 14:04   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Been there done that in Getz . Have you ??
Getz is so planted at speeds above 180+ kph with a very well weighted steering.
Have gone upto 120kmph in Getz, I felt the chassis to be quite stressed taking that kind of acceleration. Steering feels better weighted than i20, however, was not to my liking - I guess being used to the Palio has raised the bar. I'm also not too sure about Getz being very well planted at 180.

Last edited by ntrack : 22nd July 2009 at 14:08.
Old 22nd July 2009, 15:51   #129
BHPian

I personally really like the i20 crdi. The only gripe, to me, it is not affordable. I first came to know about crdi technology from Murad Ali Baig's review of Hyundai Accent crdi. So, although the technology might have been used much earlier by other big manufacturers I always associate crdi with Hyundai.

Many of the threads of Indian Car Scene are full of passionate brand drumming or brand bashing. I may love a particular brand because I own and drive a car of that brand. I see no reason why I should not like competing cars of other brands. At the same time I don't appreciate bad mouthing of the particular brand that I own.
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:03   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Have gone upto 120kmph in Getz, I felt the chassis to be quite stressed taking that kind of acceleration. Steering feels better weighted than i20, however, was not to my liking - I guess being used to the Palio has raised the bar. I'm also not too sure about Getz being very well planted at 180.
Well it is very much planted. In a petrol car i have always felt that they are light at the front making them susecptable to jitters. The feel of 190kmph in a getz feels like you are on 100. At 120 if the cars wheel balancing is not done properly then the car feels wierd to drive thats all. If have taken it past 190 on many occations and have found it very comfortable.
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:25   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
When it comes to diesel its not about top speed its the acceleration where the petrols will be left behind unless they redline in each gear and end up with single digit FE.
Off topic. But just to support what you are saying, I will remind people:

more torque = good acceleration
power = torque * rpm * a constant
=> more power mean a good torque at a good range of rpm
=> can go faster (higher speed)

So, diesels have more torque, and thus quicker in acceleration, but petrols make it up by keeping the average torque till a good range of rpm. If one would have to draw a power graph against rpm for both diesel and petrol engines, diesel will have steeper climb, but would fall very soon while petrol would still continue to climb.

I love the torque, not the power
Old 23rd July 2009, 12:57   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
more torque = good acceleration
Mistaken premise.

Torque is pulling power,and has nothing to do with acceleration.

Torque, in practice, means being able to stay in a higher gear without labouring (lugging) or stalling. It means not having to change down in that slow traffic on the flyover.

It has nothing to do with the time period between n kmph and, say, n+10 kmph on acceleration.
Old 23rd July 2009, 13:26   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Mistaken premise.

Torque is pulling power,and has nothing to do with acceleration.

Torque, in practice, means being able to stay in a higher gear without labouring (lugging) or stalling. It means not having to change down in that slow traffic on the flyover.

It has nothing to do with the time period between n kmph and, say, n+10 kmph on acceleration.
yes sir, torque is to pull power without having to change down in slower speeds, which is perfect on crdi mill of i20.
Old 23rd July 2009, 16:37   #134
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
unless they redline in each gear and end up with single digit FE.
Brilliant point, Kpzen. To expand on that, diesel FE is far less sensitive to acceleration runs than in petrols. I can drive my diesel cars as I please, and still get respectable FE numbers. The petrols, on the other hand, sip fuel like nobody's business when high-revved.
Old 23rd July 2009, 16:45   #135
Senior - BHPian

190 in a Getz? Cruising at 190 all day in an S10? You gentlemen must be invulnerable! Even given the optimism in the speedos, those speeds need you to be.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks