Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2009, 09:18   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
It's a Different engine with 1.4L capacity and getz is a generation older and had half the equipment the i20 has.

What is a WGT ?
The acronym means waste gate turbocharger but I am not too sure if this is too different from the typical turbocharger found in the new generation diesel engines

Can someone else confirm if there is too much of a difference between a WGT and FGT?

Cheers
Old 17th July 2009, 09:30   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
The acronym means waste gate turbocharger but I am not too sure if this is too different from the typical turbocharger found in the new generation diesel engines

Can someone else confirm if there is too much of a difference between a WGT and FGT?

Cheers
Waste gate isn't much different from a FGT, rather it seems more like an optimization of FGT.

http://www.holset.co.uk/mainsite/fil...-wastegate.php
Old 17th July 2009, 10:39   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Negatives- left leg hits the edge of the dash board when using the clutch, but that is because i like sitting really really close to the steering. if the seat is positiond normally, there is no issue.
One benefit of that is the most discussed feature of i20 on this forum - the (lack of) rear-seat space - is not an issue in your i20 anymore...
Old 17th July 2009, 19:48   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Thats all for now, more details when i get another extensive TD of the car after the launch.
So have you got a chance to do another TD yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Now this is the engine that the i20 always needed! I'm excited. It better wear a competitive price tag.
Looking forward to a TD from you. We now know the price tag isn't really competitive, but hope the engine is worth looking at.
Old 18th July 2009, 22:39   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachchu View Post
Here's a Youtube review which shows what people are talking about i20 on this thread and I don't see that handling problem here.

YouTube - 5thGear Hyundai I20
The assumption here is, the car sold in UK is same as the car being sold here.
The video does not show any lane changes at high speed. I repeat, and it is from my own observation and not from any video - This car, the i20, did not like sudden direction changes. The tyres were squirming and it was hard to bring the car back under control. Try for yourself on a safe road.
Old 18th July 2009, 22:42   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
This car, the i20, did not like sudden direction changes. The tyres were squirming and it was hard to bring the car back under control. Try for yourself on a safe road.
At what speed? Dry/wet conditions?

Last edited by AbhiJ : 18th July 2009 at 22:43.
Old 18th July 2009, 22:57   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
At what speed? Dry/wet conditions?
Should have been around 80, mildly wet conditions.
Old 18th July 2009, 23:14   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Should have been around 80, mildly wet conditions.
Cool, will check it out when I get my car.

If you are correct, then this is valuable safety info
Old 18th July 2009, 23:22   #99
Senior - BHPian

Did anyone feel the ride was on the harder side in the car? i guess this is done to correct the soft setup( i think, not sure) of the getz.
Old 19th July 2009, 04:11   #100
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

All those who say the Getz Crdi doesn't handle must either learn how to reall drive one or join us to the Nandi Hills Climb we have started doing every weekend. The getz keeps up with the Elantra's and the Baleno's and mostly smokes almost all cars in stock form on the highway up until 165kph, let alone Peted. I have driven quite a lot on track and own a swift too. Yes, it doesn't handle "as good as" a swift does, but I am confident it wont be too far behind the swift up a hill. But that wild engine more than compensates for the handling. I for one would sell my swift anyday and pick up a Getz or the i20. If only my dad too had the same views. Sigh!
Old 19th July 2009, 11:28   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
All those who say the Getz Crdi doesn't handle must either learn how to reall drive one or join us to the Nandi Hills Climb we have started doing every weekend.
Test drove the getz CRDi last month. Lovely car, excellent engine. However, at least on stock tyres, it was sqealing away to glory in corners even at moderate speeds.

Then drove a friends car with 195 mm tyres. It was a dramatic improvement.

People test drive the car with stock tyres (obviously). And hence the impression that the handling is unsure.

On the other hand, most owners take delivery of their car and drive to a tyre shop to upgrade the rubber.
Old 19th July 2009, 11:34   #102
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Abhi. Getz has a very good chasis even though the suspension is soft. Upgrade from the stock tires and handling should not be a problem.
Old 19th July 2009, 11:47   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Getz was always touted as a family salloon for Europeans in low income group and was designed to be spacious and economical going from point A to point B, it was not meant to handle. Unlike some other hatches which are aimed at younger crowd and sporty, Getz was more for family crowd and older age ppl. Try looking up the drag coefficent of Getz that will tell a story. Getz cant be thrown on corners and handling is definitely not its USP.
The i20 with german roots has much superior handling.
I disagree that Getz does not handle well with decent tires. Upgrade the tires and you would be surprised to see the imporovement. I agree that Getz cannot be thrown on corners as confidently as a Swift. The Swift is amazing in a ghat section. But the handling of Getz is pretty good with decent tires. Getz has got the ideal combination of ride and handling. Ride comfort is very good and is very important for a family person in our bad indian roads.I have driven both the cars extensively on Indian highways.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 19th July 2009 at 11:48.
Old 19th July 2009, 12:09   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Test drove the getz CRDi last month. Lovely car, excellent engine. However, at least on stock tyres, it was sqealing away to glory in corners even at moderate speeds.

Then drove a friends car with 195 mm tyres. It was a dramatic improvement.

People test drive the car with stock tyres (obviously). And hence the impression that the handling is unsure.

On the other hand, most owners take delivery of their car and drive to a tyre shop to upgrade the rubber.
That is what i did. The handling imporved a lot. Even my current tyres are not upto the mark as mclaren and he will tell you. A long review is pending from mclaren and as soon as it comes people will probably change their view about the getz.

Cheers/Shyam
Old 20th July 2009, 11:49   #105
Senior - BHPian

For once, let's leave everything else like looks, fuel economy, price, interior, slick shifts, stalks aside and judge if i20 CRDi can beat Getz CRDi on a highway, in top speed and acceleration. i am positive it cannot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks