Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2009, 12:36   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
How is this possible to give the chassis of same number ???

When a new chassis is prepared at the factory a unique number will be given to each chassis to track it, correct if i am wrong.
Correct! Even I asked for the same. But they said that the chassis is made on the demand for the change and hence they manufactured with the same Chassis number. The old chassis (we have photo of that chassis) has gone back to Tata Motors Pune.
Old 15th July 2009, 12:43   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
How is this possible to give the chassis of same number ???

When a new chassis is prepared at the factory a unique number will be given to each chassis to track it, correct if i am wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bantejas View Post
Correct! Even I asked for the same. But they said that the chassis is made on the demand for the change and hence they manufactured with the same Chassis number. The old chassis (we have photo of that chassis) has gone back to Tata Motors Pune.
They're kidding you, right. Chassis manufactured on demand??? I hope this is not a case of repaired chassis?
Old 15th July 2009, 12:48   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
They're kidding you, right. Chassis manufactured on demand??? I hope this is not a case of repaired chassis?
As Suman said i doubt, won't they keep Chassis in stock for Safari.

Never heard that even Chassis are built on order for Tata Safari, i had heard about this Ferrari that they build from the scratch for the order placed.
Old 15th July 2009, 13:13   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Manufactured as in with chassis in place, they just punch the chassis number with the older one.
Old 15th July 2009, 13:40   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Manufactured as in with chassis in place, they just punch the chassis number with the older one.
Yes, thats correct. I have seen it a couple of times in Pune Workshops when they order a replacement chassis. TML just punch's the chassis number of the older one on the new one.

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 15th July 2009 at 13:41.
Old 15th July 2009, 13:44   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Yes, thats correct. I have seen it a couple of times in Pune Workshops when they order a replacement chassis. TML just punch's the chassis number of the older one on the new one.
Well, that's a relief to know
Old 23rd July 2009, 14:11   #127
BHPian

TD of the truck-Part 1

All!

Just an update.

I took the car for a short drive around a week back from Bangalore to Tumkur and back and didn't find any major issues. Small niggles which were there earlier needs to be sorted out and I've asked them not to close the job card.

1. Some how I felt that the speed-rpms were not OK. On 5th gear at 120Kmph, I saw that the rpm was close to 2500 (I think I am getting paranoid). I will confirm it after a spin tonight.

2. There were no problems when I went on a really pretty patch of road at 60kmph. I couldn't hear a sound. It was very smooth.

3. Braking was fine. While getting out of Bangalore at Miller's road signal, a drunk biker almost rammed into me from the left had it not been the instinct of swerving across the other side the road, I'd have had some major dents on the truck. Steering was fine. It went where I wanted it to and stopped when I wanted to (I was at around 70Kmph).

4. Headlights are a big problem. Though I have changed it to 90/100, it still is difficult to drive in the night. The TASS is coming in the evening for a test drive again, lets see what he has to say about it. I want to put Lightforce, please let me know if it is OK. Some people are asking me to go for HID but again I am not sure still.

Overall, I am fine with the truck now. I can comment only after a long drive which I intend to take some time soon.

Concorde dealers have got a real blasting for the problems that they've given me. I am meeting them tomorrow at my office for God knows what reason. As I have said previously, I still am going to make sure that this comes in some newspaper (Already a couple of people who wanted to buy some Tata cars have gone to Prerna).

Thanks a lot for the support! This certainly has been an eye opener!

tejas

PS: If some one could guide me with some kind of soft roading trails near Bangalore where I could put the 4L to some use, I'd be really thankful.
Old 23rd July 2009, 14:29   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All!

4. Headlights are a big problem. Though I have changed it to 90/100, it still is difficult to drive in the night. The TASS is coming in the evening for a test drive again, lets see what he has to say about it. I want to put Lightforce, please let me know if it is OK. Some people are asking me to go for HID but again I am not sure still.
tejas

PS: If some one could guide me with some kind of soft roading trails near Bangalore where I could put the 4L to some use, I'd be really thankful.
Find a good HID,3-4K type wil be better if you intend to get it.
What bulbs do you use now?
Old 23rd July 2009, 14:31   #129
Senior - BHPian

Tejas,

Your initial post was off by a few days, else I think I could have spared myself some pain!

Good that you avoided that useless piece of meat on road! Else big-is-wrong thing would have all worked up!

As of now, issues at my end seems more or less settled. Vehicle under-production and shipment due on month end. Hopefully no other surprises.

As for OTR trails, I am sure you will find quite a number of them. We have some many experts here!
Old 23rd July 2009, 14:32   #130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

1. Some how I felt that the speed-rpms were not OK. On 5th gear at 120Kmph, I saw that the rpm was close to 2500 (I think I am getting paranoid). I will confirm it after a spin tonight.
This is correct. 100kmph in 5th gear is around 2250(approx value)

Quote:
2. There were no problems when I went on a really pretty patch of road at 60kmph. I couldn't hear a sound. It was very smooth.
To test properly find a smooth spead breaker, then go over it medium fast. I.e not so fast that you jump, but medium speed so that full suspension travel happens. This is when the bushes etc., make the most noise.
Quote:
3. Braking was fine. While getting out of Bangalore at Miller's road signal, a drunk biker almost rammed into me from the left had it not been the instinct of swerving across the other side the road, I'd have had some major dents on the truck. Steering was fine. It went where I wanted it to and stopped when I wanted to (I was at around 70Kmph).

Overall, I am fine with the truck now. I can comment only after a long drive which I intend to take some time soon.

Concorde dealers have got a real blasting for the problems that they've given me. I am meeting them tomorrow at my office for God knows what reason. As I have said previously, I still am going to make sure that this comes in some newspaper (Already a couple of people who wanted to buy some Tata cars have gone to Prerna).

Thanks a lot for the support! This certainly has been an eye opener!

tejas

For trails contact hrag or khan_sultan
As for headlights, get them aimed. Best way is to aim against the wall. Aim the right a little lower as the height of the vehicle is high, and you will be blinding other drivers.
Also did you get a proper good quality relay installed. With stock wires, your 100/90 may get a voltage drop. and hence may not get full potential.
If you bought 100/90 Philips from a normal shop on JC road there is good chance of fake bulbs also.
Old 23rd July 2009, 15:11   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
This is correct. 100kmph in 5th gear is around 2250(approx value)
Thanks a lot.

Quote:
To test properly find a smooth spead breaker, then go over it medium fast. I.e not so fast that you jump, but medium speed so that full suspension travel happens. This is when the bushes etc., make the most noise.
This has been tested and there are no issues at all. This was tested first by Dev at Concorde Service Center and then the day I got the delivery in front of my office. There were no problems at all.

Quote:
As for headlights, get them aimed. Best way is to aim against the wall. Aim the right a little lower as the height of the vehicle is high, and you will be blinding other drivers.
Also did you get a proper good quality relay installed. With stock wires, your 100/90 may get a voltage drop. and hence may not get full potential.
If you bought 100/90 Philips from a normal shop on JC road there is good chance of fake bulbs also.
When I first got the headlights focused, they were aimed at the wall and were little lower than before as I was not able to see the road properly in the night. It was screwed when I took it once to TASS. I will find out tonight with the TASS.

I have the Hella relay put when I was getting the headlights done. The headlights are Philips and I got it from a place called Torque near 80ft road Indiranagar.

Tejas
Old 23rd July 2009, 15:13   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Find a good HID,3-4K type wil be better if you intend to get it.
What bulbs do you use now?
I am using Philips 90/100 with Hella relay. Should I get the 4300k put?

Thanks,
Tejas
Old 23rd July 2009, 15:19   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Tejas,

Your initial post was off by a few days, else I think I could have spared myself some pain!

Good that you avoided that useless piece of meat on road! Else big-is-wrong thing would have all worked up!
I know! That guy came to the car and ask what I was doing. Thanks to another car fellow who came right upto him and said that he was saved because of me did the trick. Nothing would have happened even if he had hit me except for the dent as he just managed to skip the signal when it was green for me inspite of me honking like a maniac! I don't know why people keep jumping signals! Its really annoying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
As of now, issues at my end seems more or less settled. Vehicle under-production and shipment due on month end. Hopefully no other surprises.

As for OTR trails, I am sure you will find quite a number of them. We have some many experts here!
I am following your thread very closely. I am really glad that its taking its own time and you will get brand new truck made only for you !
Old 23rd July 2009, 15:27   #134
Senior - BHPian

Tejas, what a shocking experience you had for your new safari, can understand the aggony you went through, but a lesson learnt.Thanks Dev for your support to fellow member and to BHP which is always a eye opner and with their PDI checklist many of us are saved by taking lemons.Hope to see you happy riding tejas.Keep updating!
Old 23rd July 2009, 16:00   #135
Senior - BHPian

Tejas,

Wanna test your 4x4 - do the ultimate test @ http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...y-offroad.html

Maybe I will tag along!

EDIT: But it looks like a hard-core OTR! Not sure if this might be the best one to attend for a first! And it also seems like a pure Gypsy & Jeep terrain!

Can never be sure of the terrain when Khan makes a post for an OTR! For his "Spider" does not know what an obstacle is!!!!

Last edited by HappyWheels : 23rd July 2009 at 16:04.

Most Viewed