Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2009, 17:03   #136
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas8700 View Post
nope i dont work for hyundai in anyway. i am not defending the i20. but none the less its not a flaw!! any good driver on a i20 or swift or ritz or indica vista will smoke the so called punto for that matter.
So, there the driver needs to be good.
Old 6th August 2009, 17:10   #137
Senior - BHPian

Driving my S10, I have been smoked zillions of times by a M800 , Indica taxi , Qualis's and Indigo's. Punto, obviously, stands no chance in front of these cars!
Old 6th August 2009, 17:22   #138
BANNED

i would say you a are a good and sensible driver who gives safety more importance

all i wanted to say was lane change or not. its not a flaw. isnt that a sweeping statement. ??

punto is definitely not as powerfull as it sounds on the paper.

i have no issues with any vehicle since i dont own a vehicle currently. my dad does.

but if i wanted to own new one i would go for the verna crdi ABS or OHC VTEC for a used car any day.
both are opposite when it comes to driving dynamics. but the torque rush is too much fun compared to the sweet free reving ohc Vtec. both are classics one is a living beast the other one has a legend status so thats my choice
Old 6th August 2009, 17:25   #139
BHPian

No Smoking

I have a small stable which I put to use for various purposes.
For relaxing, I use the Punto.
If I have to play big-brother, I use my slightly tuned up Thunderbird.

If I have to smoke, I prefer my Yamaha pocket rocket.(Nope, I wont divulge the details of this one, specially since most non smokers in my city might soon come after me!!).

Coming to think of it, ever since I have the Italian in my stable, the Jap and the Indian have been a little neglected. Every morning, I wake up, take a look at the sky and say to myself "Today I'm taking the bike to work". That feeling remains until I reach out for my key-tray. No matter which key I choose, it always morphs itself into the Fiat fob.I guess this is what they call love.
Old 6th August 2009, 17:31   #140
BHPian

Quote:
i
punto is definitely not as powerfull as it sounds on the paper.
That would also be a sweeping statement considering multiple facts. However, I sincerely hope that powerfull means Power/Wt ratio and not just the bhp figures.

Your choice of power machines are excellent and your point regarding the driving dynamics are also appropriate. How come then the Cedia and Palio 1.6 didnt show up on ur list?
Just curious since they offer much more with all that is required.

Mods, apologies for multiple posts, kindly merge them.
Old 6th August 2009, 17:45   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Driving my S10, I have been smoked zillions of times by a M800 , Indica taxi , Qualis's and Indigo's. Punto, obviously, stands no chance in front of these cars!
read this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...009-meets.html

The posts about the 2nd August drive will clarify some things. One thing I have realised is that there is much more to a car than straight line acceleration or torque or bhp, not even 'firm' or 'soft' suspension cover it.

My observations from that drive - the Ikon and Cedia come out on top for highway manners. The Fiesta ZXi is a notch below. The Verna is not quite there in spite of its fantastic acceleration. All drivers were darn good, driving fast and safely. Incidentally we zapped past a Fiesta SXi who believed he was going 'fast' and, he was fast - doing about 130 kmph, I for a fact know that his car was capable of doing more, much more, but that chap had no clue as to how to extract that performance from a great car - ergo - our member in a Santro Automatic overtook him easily enough. So there is something like driver skill at play at all times.

A car is always something more than a sum of all its parts. No figures, or statistics will ever describe a car fully or do it justice.

Cheers,
Old 7th August 2009, 15:13   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
nope i dont work for hyundai in anyway. i am not defending the i20. but none the less its not a flaw!! any good driver on a i20 or swift or ritz or indica vista will smoke the so called punto for that matter.

so why the comparison?? when it comes to raw power ther is no substituition. its a sad world you have to live with it
Not a flaw - for Thomas8700
A flaw - for Kuttapan

Let's leave it at that.

I never compared Punto to i20 speed/power wise, so hopefully that comment is not aimed at me. I bought the Punto as I wanted a safe diesel hatch at a reasonable(for me) price. I have no illusions about what it can/cannot do. One punto owner made a remark that overtaking would be a breeze, which I didn't agree with and that was after my first test drive on the Punto. If Maruti had a Zdi without the waiting period, maybe it would have been sitting in my garage.
Old 26th August 2009, 16:29   #143
BHPian

Great work sid - Your article would fetched you a lakh's of rupees if had written it for an auto mags. I do spent lots of money on those auto mags, but have hated them for all there biased and unrealistic comment's from the so called 'auto critics'.
Thanks for selecting team-bhp forum.I took so much time to read you article, its a great piece of work. I even fwd the link to my friend who is confused now to decide upon a car. I would again take time to read this.

Every review definitely is highly debatable and can be fought for days for no use. For people who need initial unbiased info this is the place to look. At the end of the day to make the decision these review's are 'The Bible'. Just fine tune them to your requirements and viola you have your dream car
Old 26th August 2009, 18:05   #144
BHPian

IMHO you need to stick to the auto mags guidelines / rules / policies while writing your reviews and may not be able to express your honest opinion (I might be wrong). This in fact is not so in this forum, you would be appreciated for your honest opinion and unbiased reviews.

Thanks to sid for his reviews and scoops.
Old 27th August 2009, 20:18   #145
Senior - BHPian

Guys... peace... tell you what ... let me run my i20 CRDi in properly, and i ll find a fellow TBhpian here in Kolkata with a Punto MJD, and we sort things out

Just kidding.... both the Punto and i20 are brilliant cars in their own right, and we as consumers should be delighted.

For eg.... do I think that the i20's lane change manners are dangerous? No.
do I think Hyundai should have made it better? Yes!

Actually hyundai should have copied Punto's suspension... component to component
Old 13th September 2009, 15:14   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmm. That implicitly means that you were not driving the S10 in the way it is supposed to drive. Give me an S10 and try to smoke me with an Indigo/Qualis/Indica Taxi or the likes on any road and their pistons will come out through their exhausts trying to smoke me. Here I am not going to rely ONLY on the power that S10 has got, but also on some driving techniques that I learned while driving through busy roads for several years.

I've seen many S10 drivers driving their machine in a very sober way - What a waste!

By the way, I do not think the performance of these cars that we are talking here vastly vary. It is true that one can beat the others on a straight line. But when it comes to the real world scenario, it is NOT only raw power that you need to smoke other cars, especially in Indian roads. Kerala highways are the perfect example. As a matter of fact, I remember feeding my dust to many powerful cars with my humble underpowered car - it is the driving techniques that matter in these crowded roads. If you are driving a Getz Crdi and if you don't have overtaking skills, you'd be stuck behind trucks and buses while you can see M800s overtake you.

I would not change my car buying decision only because the competitor model has more power than a car in which I am interested in. How many of you have actually used (often use) all the horses in your engine (not in test tracks)? I guess the answer would be 'not at all' unless you are a hardcore driving enthusiast who has an overtaking fetish.

Last edited by clevermax : 13th September 2009 at 15:17.
Old 14th September 2009, 12:31   #147
ada
BHPian

@clevermax -- Your statement is unfair to Amit. We are not here to smoke each other out. As a matter of fact its the lower gear ratios which count, and small cars have them in their favour, it may be just initially for a few metres but power to weight ratio and gearing ratios do count. Later on raw power will take over. When people say a guy does not know how to extract speed, well there is only one way press the throttle down as far as it goes, or is there some other way? I do not know why driving within limits is taken as timidity and waste of car? If you want speed guys get yourself a rocket.
Old 14th September 2009, 13:09   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Hmm. That implicitly means that you were not driving the S10 in the way it is supposed to drive. Give me an S10 and try to smoke me with an Indigo/Qualis/Indica Taxi or the likes on any road and their pistons will come out through their exhausts trying to smoke me.
Have you tried to smoke the Indica taxi's and Qualisis and Tavera's? These guys can smoke an aeroplane!

As for me getting smoked in my S10 by a Indica, yes I have, many times. You know why the S10 couldn't match upto them? I own the S10. These guys don't own the car they are driving. That is the difference.
Old 14th September 2009, 13:21   #149
BHPian

Smoking is dangerous to health - one may end up in smokes.
Old 14th September 2009, 14:07   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Have you tried to smoke the Indica taxi's and Qualisis and Tavera's? These guys can smoke an aeroplane!

As for me getting smoked in my S10 by a Indica, yes I have, many times. You know why the S10 couldn't match upto them? I own the S10. These guys don't own the car they are driving. That is the difference.
I do not know which two smileys to use! So here goes and . That observation and comment are so true.

Not only do those guys not own the car they believe that they are immortal. As far as the aeroplanes are concerned - lol watch them take off when they negotiate a speed breaker.

Cheers,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks