Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2009, 21:08   #106
Senior - BHPian

a mega "navratna" comparison coming in a few hours. watch this space.
Old 25th July 2009, 21:11   #107
BHPian

Ooh Lala!! Another salvo. Am gonna pin my eyes and watch this space.
Old 25th July 2009, 21:36   #108
BHPian

@sid

you rock man..your enthusiasm amazes me...
Hope you are looking at your family too other than cars...
Old 25th July 2009, 22:04   #109
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful and a very comprehensive comparo. Great effort there in putting up this thread. This definately gets five stars from me. Thank you, this thread should answer most of the questions for those considering buying any of these new hatches.
Old 25th July 2009, 22:08   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
a mega "navratna" comparison coming in a few hours. watch this space.

This was an excellent comparison . Now dont make us wait for hours for your mega "Navratna" Comparison.
Old 26th July 2009, 00:31   #111
BHPian

On high speed stability and handling ratings of i-20:
The Jul-19 issue of Auto Bild India too rates i-20 very poorly on these counts. It says the following:
"high roll angles",
"Chassis and suspension aren't set-up for panic situations, quick direction changes had the car all over the place",
"needed a handful of opposite lock to keep it from spinning"

If you take these into account, safety performance of i-20 should go down a notch. (Because, IMHO, the safety of car at high speed also depends on the above factors, apart from the other safety features)
Old 26th July 2009, 00:53   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psp62in View Post
The Jul-19 issue of Auto Bild India too rates i-20 very poorly on these counts. It says the following:
"high roll angles",
"Chassis and suspension aren't set-up for panic situations, quick direction changes had the car all over the place",

If you take these into account, safety performance of i-20 should go down a notch. (Because, IMHO, the safety of car at high speed also depends on the above factors, apart from the other safety features)
Yep,i can attest to that,same in verna,and same in i20 crdi,happened to me in both the cars as posted in another thread.
This is not solely the mag's view,i have personally gone through this with the car. The salesman didn't call back.
Old 26th July 2009, 04:15   #113
BANNED

@psp62in
do notice that the sudden lane changes at high speeds are not what Normal Drivers do in every day Indian driving conditions!. the auto magazine test drivers do them just to make sure that they keep the enthusiats hooked to their mags. and on the safety going a notch down?? the Euro NCAP ratings are one of the most scientifically thought out safety tests!! please dont try to justify the magazine guys they do each review with a purpose ( business interest mainly )

@smilenow. you may have the nerve to go on a test drive and do such high speed lane changes. but dont expect everyone to be like you..
whats the purpose of buying the car any one for that matter?. do you buy the car to get out on the road and have races?? ( coz yes races are the place where high speed lane changes and turns are done or called for or yes Rallys also lol)

i think the salesman didnt call you since he would have thrown up once he got back to his home

Frankly speaking ABS is the one which should be ideally used for PANIC situations. and in this dept. the i20 has All round disc setup with ABS/EBD. this is more than enough!
Old 26th July 2009, 12:58   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas8700 View Post
@psp62in
do notice that the sudden lane changes at high speeds are not what Normal Drivers do in every day Indian driving condition!
On the contrary the chances of doing high speed manoeuvres is very high on Indian highways because you never know whats coming your way and who will cross from where and when. The western highways are strictly lane driven and fenced on both sides.
Old 26th July 2009, 13:17   #115
BHPian

Quoting out of context? Here is an example

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
This is rather funniest comparison I would say.

The reviewer says:
Punto is more fun to drive than i20.
Punto looks better than i20.
Punto once starts moving, has better driveability.
Punto has better ride than i20.
Punto has better handling than i20.
Punto is cheaper than i20.
Punto is more driver's car than i20.

But, still the better buy is i20. Now, beat that!

Why can't he write, in which areas i20 scores better and then come up with his recommendation. That would have helped a prospective buyer much more than such review.
If you cared to put down the complete content you will understand what they are saying. BTW I think pasting the content is not as per the BHP policy, hence cannt put the whole content here. Your post is an example of mis-quoting and in the way you want to look at it, now you cant beat this!!

Last edited by dash : 26th July 2009 at 13:18.
Old 26th July 2009, 13:35   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psp62in View Post
"high roll angles",

Is that why i20 offers 6 air bags? I remember getting road sick in RTC buses when travelling in hills. Is this what means in case of i20? Because i feel in Indian driving conditions you need more frequent lane changing and cutting; at whatever speed.

Whatever happened to the mega navratna? Sid, my eyes are peeling now man.
Old 26th July 2009, 14:46   #117
BHPian

sid, where are you??we guys are waiting...
Old 26th July 2009, 14:51   #118
BHPian

Quote:
@smilenow. you may have the nerve to go on a test drive and do such high speed lane changes. but dont expect everyone to be like you..
whats the purpose of buying the car any one for that matter?. do you buy the car to get out on the road and have races?? ( coz yes races are the place where high speed lane changes and turns are done or called for or yes Rallys also lol)

i think the salesman didnt call you since he would have thrown up once he got back to his home

Frankly speaking ABS is the one which should be ideally used for PANIC situations. and in this dept. the i20 has All round disc setup with ABS/EBD. this is more than enough!
I agree with you completely,i think the i20 crdi is a fantastic car and if it were cheaper [the asta variant],i'd buy it with eyes wide shut,regardless of the chassis support. Those lane changes and the control of the car thereafter,is a subjective opinion,and one wouldn't encounter such a situation in the city.
However if you are in a situation like the above mentioned one,for example a cyclist cutting across the highway and you are one second late to spot him,then may god help you.
Old 26th July 2009, 19:06   #119
BANNED

i can get the Picture here. the nominal Active safety feature which is used in such situations is ESP. unfortunately the Indian vehicles in this segment doesnt have it.

yes then its God Help me. but i dont think the Fiats also stand a Chance if the distance to the object is very Short!! i have seen a Scorpio Topple due to a stupid biker

All the safety procedures emphasis on applying the breaks first and then trying to switch lanes to avoid hitting the obstacle in a controlled manner with ABS or by PULSING the breaks in case of non ABS vehicles.

the sudden lane change though a quick solution to avoid an object suddenly cutting it,
its a wild gamble at the same time too.
one you can hit oncoming traffic! in India this is a high probability and hence lane changes arent that encouraged.
Worse you can hit the divider and topple the car. not valid in india in bidirectinal highways to a great extent but depending on the speed the car will do different types of circus tricks!! lolzz. but in one way highways, this will be serious always ending up with car a total loss and Driver injured badly! the situations where the car topples or Side crashes , the additional airbags become crucial.

the next probable thing that can happen due to a sudden lane change should things go wrong is vehicle goin off road
then its really god help you!!!
Old 26th July 2009, 21:26   #120
BHPian

Quote:
i can get the Picture here. the nominal Active safety feature which is used in such situations is ESP. unfortunately the Indian vehicles in this segment doesnt have it.

yes then its God Help me. but i dont think the Fiats also stand a Chance if the distance to the object is very Short!! i have seen a Scorpio Topple due to a stupid biker

All the safety procedures emphasis on applying the breaks first and then trying to switch lanes to avoid hitting the obstacle in a controlled manner with ABS or by PULSING the breaks in case of non ABS vehicles.

the sudden lane change though a quick solution to avoid an object suddenly cutting it,
its a wild gamble at the same time too.
one you can hit oncoming traffic! in India this is a high probability and hence lane changes arent that encouraged.
Worse you can hit the divider and topple the car. not valid in india in bidirectinal highways to a great extent but depending on the speed the car will do different types of circus tricks!! lolzz. but in one way highways, this will be serious always ending up with car a total loss and Driver injured badly! the situations where the car topples or Side crashes , the additional airbags become crucial.

the next probable thing that can happen due to a sudden lane change should things go wrong is vehicle goin off road
then its really god help you!!!
You are correct,but the pertinent problem is that in both the crdi's,the rear end is lost immediately in these cases.I really can't imagine a driver who is not acquainted with this scenario,being able to control the rear end from spinning out,and the highways are not deserted roads,it'll end up like the real version of burnout[video game] crash mode.

Like the mag said,and i'd also like to emphasize, """""it took needed a handful of opposite lock to keep it from spinning"""",if the rear end hits any other vehicle at that speed,in all probability it will,well one would be spinning in heaven.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks