Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2010, 09:25   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

The Ford Figo was launched in India at a price of 3.49 - 5.29 Lakh (ex-Delhi).

What you'll like about the Figo:

• Robust build and construction
• Interiors more comfortable than chief competitors i10 & Swift
• 1.4 Diesel's proven driveability and fuel efficiency. No turbolag
• The Ford Figo's mature big-car-like ride quality
• Ford's DNA in the on-road behaviour and quick steering
• Class-topping 284 liter boot space

What you won't:

• Lacks the modernity of recently launched hatchbacks
• Both of the engines in the Figo are lacking in outright performance. Neither engine can exploit the car's dynamics
• No true top-end variant (tilt adjustable steering, rear power windows, MID etc.)
• Average backseat legroom. Not in the league of, say, an Indica Vista
• Ford's sub-par dealership experience

Reported Fuel efficiency:

• 1.2 Petrol : 11.2 (City) / 15.8 (Highway)
• 1.4 Diesel : 14.4 (City) / 18.5 (Highway)

The 2015 Figo:

Review Link

Last edited by GTO : 9th November 2015 at 09:44. Reason: Adding link to 2015 Figo review
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th January 2010, 09:26   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

70% of the Indian automobile market consists of the small car. The question isn’t : Why small car? The real question is : What took you so long, Ford? Consider the case of the only two American car manufacturers in India, both of whom entered our market around 1996 - 1997. Ford primarily uses its European products (either as is, or as a base platform) for the Indian market. GM only turned around their Indian operations after tapping into its Korean expertise (thanks to Daewoo buyouts). Ford’s average market share for the year 2009 was a mere 1.6% (total 29,452 cars sold last year). The General’s average market share for ’09 was 3.8% (peaking at 5.5% in December) for a total of 68,808 cars sold. The primary difference : GM has a presence in the small car segment which Ford didn’t. That’s all about to change with the Figo.

As the only American car manufacturer to post self sustainability (GM & Chrysler both declared bankruptcy and took help from Uncle Sam) in 2009, Ford is expanding its reach in one of the few markets to register healthy growth numbers - India. The Figo is so important to Ford India that Ford President & CEO Alan Mulally himself unveiled the car in Delhi (Link to Figo unveiling thread). From the branding perspective, and I’m not sure if they realize this, Ford has a distinct advantage. See, it's easier to move from a more expensive market segment to a lower one, than vice versa (just ask Maruti or Hyundai). Ford has typically been associated with 6 – 8 lakh rupee sedans in India. Throw in a 20 lakh SUV too. Now, they are launching a 4.5 lakh rupee B segment hatchback. Ford could very well use this as a competitive advantage.

It’s obvious that the Figo has been benchmarked against the i10 and the Swift. After all, the Swift & i10 are the undisputed kings (sales & popularity) of the B+ hatchback segment. Size wise, the length of the Figo is 35mm more than the Swift, the width of both cars nearly identical (only a 10 mm differential), yet the Figo’s wheelbase is nearly 100 mm more than that of the Swift. That shows why the backseat is better than the Swift / i10. In fact, the Figo’s wheelbase is even longer than the Indica Vista's.

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-stats-screenshot.jpg

Compared to a futuristic hatch like the recently launched Beat, that wears all types of cuts and curves (some unnecessary), the Figo is a clean well-proportioned design. No quirkiness. However, without doubt, many will find the Figo bland and lacking in contemporariness. It’s after all based on the Mark V Fiesta platform, but more on that later. When viewed in person, it’s clear that the Figo wears understated clothes. It will please all and excite none, there is no wow factor and this small Ford comes across as a rather neutral design. It’s a trait that the Figo shares with the Indian Fiesta sedan too. On a positive note, the Figo looks planted, well-proportioned and carries the Ford family look. It’s a design that suits my palette. The curvy large headlamps get your attention at first; the front is overall a nice design. Look at the side profile and you’ll notice how the roof tapers steeply at the rear. I like how the wheel arches are integrated onto the design, they do bring some muscle to the stance. The Figo is noticeably lower than the competition. Leave aside the tall boys, the Figo sits a full 103 mm lower than the Swift! The low waist line (side window sills) seems straight out of the nineties. The rear end looks like a mini-Fusion, but of course, with a shorter stance. The untrained eye will in all probability dismiss the car off as a Fusion. Fusion resemblance aside, it’s a pretty tight looking hatch from the rear three quarter. However, I do think that x’mas tree rear lights have gone out of style. The build quality is solid and panel gaps consistent. There is an absolute lack of the flimsiness that we see in some of its competitors.

The Figo shares its platform with the Mark V European Fiesta (codenamed B256 for the 5 door variant from 2003). You only have to compare their profile pictures side-by-side to gauge the level of similarity. The Indian Fiesta as well as the Fusion are based on the Mark V platform. Even the wheelbase of all three cars is a near identical 2486 mm (Figo = 2489). A team of Indian & Australian engineers have thoroughly reskinned the car. What’s new are the body panels, doors, interiors, seats and dashboard etc. Reason? Cost, cost and only cost. The small car market in India is extremely price-sensitive. A competitive price can make a car, as much as an inflated price can break it (e.g. Honda Jazz). As with most other recent small car launches, the Figo has a sub-4000 mm length and a 1.2 L petrol / 1.4 L diesel to avail of excise benefits. Without meaning to sound clichéd, again, pricing is everything to this car.

My prediction is that the Figo will be priced straight in the "hot" segment. That is, bang in the middle of the Swift / i10 territory. The top-end variant that we drove was not kitted with rear power windows, tilt-adjustable steering, alloy wheels or climate control. Then, there's the cost savings from using the Mark V platform and parts sharing with the Fiesta (including the engine). I'm willing to bet that the price will be extremely competitive. What the top variant did have was an ABS + EBD braking system, front airbags, front power windows, driver's seat height adjustment, 4 speaker MP3 / AUX / Bluetooth sound system, electric mirrors, keyless entry and rear wash & wipe.

EDIT in March 2010 : As I predicted, Ford did eventually launch the Figo at an ultra-competitive price. Link to Figo Pricing Thread

Notice the low stance, low-set front window sill and tapering roof (toward the rear). Large windows lead to airy interiors:

Fusion anyone?

Neat headlamp design. Subtle smoke effect:

175/65/R14 tyres on all variants (including base). No alloys on top-end. Fiesta wheelcaps:

I'm not a fan of the christmas tree light arrangement. They've gone out of style too:

Sweet wheel arches bringing muscle to the side profile:

Size relativity with the Ford Fiesta:

While the front is curvy, the rest of the car wears sharp lines.

Last edited by GTO : 12th March 2010 at 17:03.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th January 2010, 09:26   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You don’t step into the Figo’s interiors as you do with some of its taller competitors. Rather, you sit “down” (refer to my comment on the car's height in the previous post) inside. You'll see a lot of the Fiesta on the design front. The overall look is functional and, just like the exterior, rather straight forward. The optional clay red colour (top half of the dashboard) is not to my taste at all. In fact, I’d go a step further and say its possibly one of the worst colours that could have been chosen for the Figo's dash. Thankfully, potential owners can opt for a full black dashboard instead. The rest of the interiors are predominantly black in colour with touches of silver. I’m just glad Ford didn’t give grey interiors, though I miss beige as an available option. While on colour, I particularly liked the seat fabric of the top-end variant. Extremely classy choice and seems hard wearing. The red baseball stitching is a nice touch too. Plastics on the inside are “Fiesta” grade which is not a bad thing at the expected price point of the Figo. Several parts are a straight lift from the Fiesta bin. While all parts are hard to the touch, they seem fairly durable with a focus on functionality. Fit and finish are good on the inside and panel gaps fairly consistent. It doesn’t feel too cheap and is ages ahead of what say, an Indica Vista or Punto offer. The internal rubber door beading is of decent quality, and is also fitted well. The parcel tray cover feels nice. These small things are sometimes an indication of just how much skimping has gone into the car.

Space at the front is decent and the seats have a super long travel range. The front passenger, in particular, has outstanding knee and leg room. I’m 5’10” and could completely stretch my legs. Just like the Ikon, the glovebox is positioned further into the dash, releasing a substantial amount of knee room. Door armrests are perfectly positioned and are wide enough, all the better to rest your arms on. The low window sill helps in giving front occupants a super side view and makes the Figo’s interiors feel really airy. The glass area, especially at the front, is generous. The driving position is spot-on while the driver's seat height adjustment makes things better for the shorter amongst us. The low-set dashboard gives you a clean view of the road ahead (in a way, reminds me of the Ol’ Honda City). The steering is perfectly positioned and the three-spoke unit is nice to hold. The Fiesta-sourced steering also has contours to park your thumbs. Sorry, no leather cover here. The extended horn pad means you don’t need to stretch your thumb too much to honk. It’s a size larger than you’d expect in a small hatch though. On the flip side, the top variant Figo is not equipped with steering tilt adjustment, a clear cost cutting move. Further, I simply cannot understand why Ford is unable to give us control stalks in a right-hand-drive orientation. The indicators & headlamp flasher are on the left, while the wiper stalk is on the right. Headlamp controls are European style with a rotary switch on the RHS of the dashboard.

Space at the rear can best be termed as adequate. Not what you'd call spacious, nor cramped, just okay. Things are better than in a Swift or an i10, but nowhere in the league of the Indica Vista. With a 5’10” driver behind the wheel, I could still sit on the rear seat, only just about. Shoulder room at the front and back is good. The car is wider, hence you don’t “elbow” the front passenger when shifting gears (as in some other hatches). I had my concerns over the sloping roof eating away into rear headroom. Turned out to be a non-issue; I had about 2.xx inches of space between my head and the roof. Glass area at the back is better than in the claustrophobic Swift (and Beat). And, just as at the front, the arm rests are perfectly positioned. Good thing that the backrest is not too upright either; the seatback has just the right angle.

The front seat's lateral support is excellent (bolstering holds you in place), upper back satisfactory, the lower back is poor. It needs some more padding around that area (currently too flat). In fact, the Figo's rear bench offers better lower back support than at the front; the rear seat supports the entire spine. The rear seat is short though, the non-adjustable headrests only running up until my shoulders. There’s a decent number of storage spots. A cubicle behind the handbrake, another spot right below the handbrake, three dedicated spots near the gearlever and all 4 door armrests have a cubicle each. Even the door pockets have inbuilt partitions. The glove box is medium sized. The depth is good and width par for the segment. However, there is only one seat back pocket offered. The boot is amongst the biggest from the B segment at 284 liters! That’s substantially larger than the Swift (232 liters), i10 (225 liters) and even the Indica Vista (236 liters). Further, the rear seat can entirely fold away for when you want to move home. No, it does not split into a 50:50.

I must make a special mention of the air-conditioner. It’s an absolute CHILLER! The day was fairly hot, but within 5 minutes, the interiors were comfortable. I jumped onto the backseat and after about 20 minutes of driving, things were getting pretty cold at the back. Note that the blower speed was on position “2” at this time.

Picture of an all-black dashboard (Thanks to Crazy Driver for the PS job on this pic). Looks so much classier than the optional red-top:

Nice steering wheel. A tad larger than you’d expect in a hatch, yet good to hold. I think the Ford Ikon’s small meaty steering would have been a perfect match here:

Strange is the placement of the fuel gauge. It’s where you’d expect the odometer to be (and vice versa). A change for the sake of change perhaps? Only one tripmeter and a distance to empty indicator. Instrument console feels built-to-cost. No redline marking:

4 speaker sound system is, well, just like any other OEM sound system. The mid-range and treble are alright, albeit bass is flat. MP3 & AUX ready, no USB (can be added as an accessory). Bluetooth + cell phone compatibility are standard on the top end variant:

The positioning of the ORVM control works well. As does that of the electric boot release button. ORVM control feels rich to use:

Rotary headlamp on/off switch is typical of European cars:

Lateral support excellent, upper back good and lower back poor. Classy choice of seat fabric:

Driver's seat has height adjustment:

Rear legroom better than Swift, comparable to Punto:

Rear windows roll down to only about the 60% level:

Lock / unlock is standard Ford fare. Push the door lever in to lock, and pull to unlock. Notice only two power window switches. Armrest has a storage spot. Door pockets cannot hold a bottle vertically; a 1 liter bottle sleeps horizontally instead:

Chunky handbrake lever. Storage cubicle behind the handbrake, and under it as well:

Storage compartments ahead of the gear lever:

Glove box size is par for the segment:

The accelerator and brake pedal are positioned close to each other. Heel / toe practice anyone? No dead pedal:

A deep Sigh to the colour choice. Again:

Big 284 liter boot. Obstruction from wheel well / suspension is more than in some other hatches:

Rear seat can entirely fold away, for when you want to move house:

Last edited by Dippy : 30th January 2010 at 14:12. Reason: Adding PS line to dash pic
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th January 2010, 09:26   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Fiesta's 1.4 TDCi diesel finds its way into the Figo and is currently the engine of choice (over the 1.2L petrol). This Duratorq unit is rated for 68 BHP (@ 4000 rpm) and 160 NM of torque (@ 2000 rpm). A key advantage of the 1.4 diesel is that, it does NOT have the turbo-lag of the Fiat 1.3 MJD (aka our national engine) used in several other hatchbacks. Actually, the TDCi doesn’t seem to have turbolag at all. I even attempted driving as an amateur who has experienced only naturally-aspirated engines. Despite releasing the clutch pedal carelessly, I did not stall the diesel. This absence of turbo-lag makes city driving in the Figo diesel substantially more convenient than in its 1.3 MJD competitors. Low end throttle response is excellent, making the Figo diesel well suited to our urban driving conditions. The engine is immensely tractable and the driveability of a high order. The 2nd gear can pull clean from as low as 10 kph, and all the way to a notch below 80 kph. Mid-range performance is good, but the 1.4 doesn't have any top end to speak of. The 1.4 TDCi revvs freely to 4,000 rpms. If you insist, the engine will revv on to 4,900 rpms. However, it’s best to work the torque and upshift earlier, even when driving spiritedly. You can feel it running out of breath after 4,000 rpms. Again, the top-end is unimpressive. This engine will do well within the city, but expect dull performance on the highway. NVH levels on the inside are just about average. The diesel is thankfully refined and doesn’t really intrude with unnecessary vibration, including at idle. On the other hand, it can get fairly audible when being worked. Ford says they have used double insulation on the diesel's doors. Maybe they need a triple?

The less impressive engine is the 1.2L 16V DOHC petrol. It's an all aluminium unit, derived off the Fiesta's 1.4 petrol. It's easy to tell what family the engine is from. The unit sounds exactly like the other Ford petrols we’ve had in India. The Duratec petrol is rated for 70 BHP (@ 6250 rpms) and 102 NM of max torque (4,000 rpm). Both, the outright power and torque ratings are lower than competition. The Ritz K series is rated @ 84 BHP / 112 NM of torque (soon to arrive in the Swift), while the i10 1.2 Kappa churns out 79 BHP / 112 NM torque. Expectedly, outright performance is strictly average. One advantage, relative to the competition, is the low end throttle response (typical of Ford petrols). In thick traffic, it does not need to be revved as much as say, the 1.2 Kappa unit. The 2nd gear can work right from 10 kph itself. Thus, after crossing a speedbreaker, you can drive off in 2nd (no need to downshift to 1st). The third only at 30 kph and above. Within the city, I don’t expect you to downshift from 2nd to 1st as often as you will from 3rd to 2nd. Throttle response is decent, its not overtly sharp but neither is it too dull. Thanks to the power ratings, and the Figo's European build, there isn't a doubt that you need to work this engine to make progress on the road. It's relatively free-revving up until 5,500 rpms, progress is rather slow afterward. You can stretch higher to over 6,000 rpms, but I wouldn’t bother. Good thing that the engine doesn’t feel coarse after 4,000 rpms. Ford claims a 0 – 100 kph timing of 15.5 seconds for the petrol and 15.8 for the diesel. If I were to rank the 1.2 L petrols in order of competency, it would go thus : Ritz 1.2 > i10 Kappa > Figo > Punto > Fabia (3 cylinder). Either engine uses the same (IB5 Ikon) gearbox with slightly different final drive ratios. The gearshift has reasonably short throws and the shift action is positive. The unit is a sure-slotting one and you won’t choose the wrong gear erroneously. Note that it isn't an ultra-slick Japanese box and does require a little effort.

A USP of nearly all Ford cars sold in India has been that they are amazing to drive. Ford's DNA boasts of amazing handling with an acceptable (not plush, acceptable) ride. This trait completely extends to the Figo. The suspension behaviour is very mature, classic European stuff, and similar to the Fiesta. The ride quality is compliant; it’s not plush, nor is it uncomfortably stiff. The correct terms would be “compliant” and “composed”. We drove rather spiritedly on Goa’s internal roads, some of which have all kinds of undulations. The rear stays planted. It’s not bouncy like the tall boys, nor is there unnecessary vertical movement. The suspension damping is perfect with the Figo’s suspension staying composed even on uneven tarmac. Of course, the firmness will make those super large potholes harsh on the inside. Unsurprisingly, the ride is much like that of the Fiesta. The driving experience starts with the steering : No electric steering rubbish here, the unit is pure hydraulic and the steering unbelievably direct. You can chuck the car in and out of gaps with a mere flick of the steering. The PS is very quick making the Figo one of the rare cars that you can have fun driving at <80 kph speeds. This Ford feels extremely agile. Body roll is well controlled too & the tight chassis a genius. As if to take the “driving experience” message further, the accelerator and brake pedals are positioned close to each other (heel / toe anyone?). Unfortunately, this time around, we didn’t have a chance to test the car extensively at high speed. Most of our driving was within tight roads, some with moderate traffic. This is probably where 95% of the Figos out there will spend 95% of their time. I'll let the soon-to-come ownership reviews speak more on high speed stability. If the Fiesta is anything to go by, I have absolutely no cause of worry on that front. After a long time, I am driving a Ford with good brakes. The ABS + EBD brakes are good (8 / 10 rating) and will do the job. No complaints. For the record, the ABS-equipped Figo we drove comes with larger front discs (258 mm) and rear drums (203 mm), compared to 239 mm / 180 mm for the non-ABS models. A ground clearance of 168 mm, combined with a firm suspension, is sufficient for Indian roads. We didn’t scrape the underbelly anywhere, even on the speedbreakers that we missed spotting

The steering requires distinctly lesser effort than the Fiesta's at 0 kph parking speed. Within the city, the steering is sufficiently light. Not feather light like an i10s, yet no one will complain of the effort required. The clutch action is light too. This combined with a positive gear shift and good low end response (from either engine) makes the Figo well suited to Indian cities. I know for a fact that the 1.6 100 BHP Fiesta engine will make its way into the Figo sometime in the future. When it does, the lineup is complete. A fuel-efficient diesel for the mileage conscious and a 100 BHP petrol stonker for us enthusiasts.

Last edited by GTO : 28th January 2010 at 18:42.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th January 2010, 09:27   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Other Points:

• Figo means “cool” in Italian. Ford has rights to the name “Splash” in India (Maruti wanted it for the Ritz). Why wasn’t that name chosen?

• Standard warranty = 2 years / 100,000 kms.

• Interestingly, Ford will give Figo customers the option of a 5 year extended service plan. It will cover all consumables & labour for 60 months / 100,000 kms. Branded as the “Ford Scheduled Service Plan”. Note that this plan does not cover wear & tear items (clutch, brake pads), tyres or mechanical / electrical failures.

• Ford’s absence from the Auto Expo (Mid-January 2010) is inexplicable. I mean, what better opportunity to showcase your new small car to the masses in person?

• Service interval = 10,000 kms.

• Fuel tank capacity = 45 liters. Low fuel indicator goes on when distance to empty is less than 80 kms.

• Kerb weights : 1040 (Petrol) and 1090 (Diesel).

• Light controls, chuckable nature and good low end response (either engine) makes the Figo well suited to the city. Turning radius = 4.9 meters.

• Actually, this is Ford’s second hatch for India. The Fusion was the first. Problem was, everyone including Ford was confused whether the Fusion is a hatch, or an SUV or…..No wonder the Fusion was lovingly called “CONfusion” on Team-BHP.

• Ford claims that the petrol fuel filter has a life of 60,000 kms (same for diesel is 30,000 kms). Timing belt change at 1,20,000 kms. Engine coolant life is 1,00,000 kms. Factory fill transmission oil will last the lifetime of the vehicle.

• I MISS the temperature gauge (link to related thread).

• Request to Ford : Dump the 1.6L Fiesta 100 BHP into the Figo's engine bay for the enthusiasts. They intentionally won’t at the moment as 1.6 L powerful petrols can give the hatch a reputation of a fuel guzzler (just ask Mr.Palio). It will come eventually. Even the speedometer is 1.6S ready (marked optimistically to 220 kph).

• Doors lock automatically once the speedo crosses 7 kph.

• Under an emergency braking condition (at 60 mph / 96 kph and above), the parking lights will automatically start blinking to warn traffic at the back.

• Lane change indicators are useful, especially on the expressway / highway. Simply tap the indicator stalk and the turn indicator blinks 3 - 4 times only. No need to push the indicator back into place after completing your lane change manoeuvre.

• What Ford needs to do is expand its distribution network. Maruti (and to a lesser extent Hyundai’s) dealership coverage is unmatched. Ford has 111 dealers spanning India at the moment. This number has increased by about a third in the recent past. 7 more expected soon. @ South Bombayites : Yes, a new dealership to cover the area has been finalized too.

EDIT on 17/02/2010 : Ford inaugurated 28 new dealerships on a single day. Link to Team-BHP Report

• Pricing strategy has become even more important after Chevy set the cat amongst the pigeons with the Beat’s VFM price tag! Note to Ford : Price it right from day one. Don’t go the Escort / Fiesta way where you start high, then massively discount, bring in special editions one after another and dilute the brand.

• Reason for the chiller air-conditioner = A 154 cc compressor (some hatches use 80 – 90 cc compressors). I did feel that the diesel’s air-conditioner is punchier than the petrols.

• Low stance may make ingress / egress inconvenient to the elderly (relative to tallboy hatchbacks).

• Like most other European cars, the front seats have a long travel range. Useful.

• 1.4 TDCi = completely take your foot off the accelerator in 3rd gear, and the car will chug along happily at 22 kph. Slot the car in 4th gear at 40 kph and it still doesn’t labour. No vibrations at all.

• I don’t know which wise guy thought of this control, but he’s gotten it all wrong. If you leave the RHS wiper stalk where normal cars have the low beam headlamp mode, the rear wiper starts doing its job. To switch it off, you have to leave the RHS stalk pushed behind (where other cars have their high beam position). Expect to see a good number of Figo’s running their rear wipers on perfectly dry days.

• Even though the interiors are all black, it’s certainly not as gloomy as the Beat. Reason? The generous glass area. Even at the back, you have the large windows as well as the quarter glasses bringing light in.

• If it matters, you can wheel spin away to glory in the 1.2. We tried

• Ford equips the Figo with starter crank protection. When the engine is running, the key will not move further.

• Official ARAI fuel efficiency numbers are 15.6 kpl (petrol) and 20.0 kpl (diesel).

• The same team that worked on the Fiesta 1.6S and Ikon Diesel has been in charge of the Figo.

• Control stalks (wiper, turn indicator) don’t have a satisfactory feel. Their operation is more rubbery than positive.

• Ford’s pumped $500 million into the Chennai plant and has expanded capacity to 200,000 units per year. It’s all about the numbers really. The upgraded Chennai plant will also serve as an export hub to serve the needs of Asia-Pacific & Africa.

• The Figo starts with a 75% (approximate) level of localisation.

• If you shut both the center air-con vents, irrespective of whether the side vents are open or not, they make a whistling sound.

• It’s been a long time coming, and no better opportunity Ford. With your hatch now running a 1.4 liter diesel, time to upgrade the Fiesta diesel to a 1.6? Or will it happen only when the all new Fiesta arrives in India (expected toward the end of 2010).

• The 1.4 TDCi engine weighs only 98 kilos.

• All gauges are backlight in red colour.

• Bluetooth pairing with your cell phone. Can redial, read your phone book and recent calls.

• Where’s the Automatic transmission, Ford? Explore that USP. There is a ready market for automatic hatchbacks, especially those powered by a diesel engine.

• When I saw the dash colour, I went “What was Ford thinking”? You’d actually have to try to choose a worse colour. The negative impact is 3X when matched to the green exterior shade. Absolute Gujju (Note, I am a Gujarati myself). A single positive of the clay red dash is that there is no dashboard reflection.

• The 1.4 TDCi Figo does everything that you would expect of a B segment diesel hatch. The steering & mature road behaviour are a bonus. Importantly, the Figo diesel does not have any single major flaw. The 1.2L is less impressive, for obvious reasons.

Disclaimer : Ford invited Team-BHP for the Figo test-drive. They covered all the expenses for this driving event.

Last edited by GTO : 12th March 2010 at 17:10. Reason: Since its launched, now updating with some specs that were previously unavailable
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th January 2010, 09:27   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Smaller but Significant things:

Long key. Boot release button too. These type of soft-plastic buttons break after 2+ years of use (based on my experience of using a similar key in the Benz). Dedicated hard plastic buttons are better on durability:

In case you go "no bottle holders?", door pockets are even marked “one liter” with an image of a bottle and the direction it should sleep in:

Fairly unrestricted front air dam:

Bonnet release positioned on the passenger side. Not cool:

Nice circular air-vents that swivel, thus you can adjust the airflow anyway you want. You can also shut any particular airvent, though some amount of air still flows through. Notice storage spot right behind on top of the dashboard:

Thick rear pillars. Medium sized rear windscreen and side glasses help matters whilst reversing:

When was the last time you saw felt lining on the door insulation? Sweet:

The feel of the air-con switches is pretty rudimentary. They feel “economy segment” to use:

Rear hatch has a useful grab handle on the inside:

No rear power windows. Door armrest has a storage spot:

Front foglamps:

Medium-sized ORVMs. Convex mirrors cover the road well.

Top end variant = Titanium:

Another look at the bulging wheel arches and the uniquely styled turn indicator light:

Have I spoken enough on what I think of the dash colour? Or should I start again.....A view from the passenger's side:
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th January 2010, 09:43   #7
Team-BHP Support

Great review

My perspective is that Ford have clearly taken the middle road in terms of price and performance.

The 1.6 will be a cracker. I took a driver training course in a 1.25 zetec version. it was pretty good and handled well. Even a bloke with an EVO VII thought it was good.

Front doors are the same as a Fiesta

That Ford key has a bad reputation for wearing out quickly.
Old 25th January 2010, 09:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

@GTO,

As expected right on target. Bang. What a review. Could have come from GTO only. Crispy and to the point. Hats off to you. Will expect more such reviews with so many cars to be lauched in 2010.
Finally Ford has come to its senses in launching the hatch which was so much missing in its Indian Armoury. What was Ford thinking when designing the dash with Clay red. Eeeks. That really puts off the seating experience. Couple of good feature which I feel of Figo are 1) Starter crank prevention when engine is running. 2) Parking lights coming ON when emergency braking.

What about the pricing and colour variants?? Hope Ford does a good job in this section.
Old 25th January 2010, 09:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Superb Review, GTO! thanks for the low down.
I think Ford have played it safe, but for the dash color. As you have pointed out, I have not seen a worse color combo than the Green car color - red dash board.

Hope they will plonk the 1.6 sometime down the line. The car looks good, and should go well with the Indian family - and I think that is the segment Ford is gunning for.

The parking breaks blinking under hard breaking is a nice feature. Hope they price the car sensibly

Last edited by theexperthand : 25th January 2010 at 09:51.
Old 25th January 2010, 09:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Another superb review @GTO
The car itself is rather disapointing. No steering tilt adjustment and power window for the rear pasengers, while competion offers ABS/air bags on their top end variants these days. That means Figo top end competes with i10 Era (almost base version)
Most of the factors like tall seating poition, good GC, good performance, that made the Fusion a very practical car have gone. This is no mini Fusion, eventhough it looks like one.
Old 25th January 2010, 10:02   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
My perspective is that Ford have clearly taken the middle road in terms of price and performance. The 1.6 will be a cracker.
True. Ford has played a conservative card. The car itself does all you'd expect of it and has NO single (major) flaw. Fun to drive too.

The 1.6 will come, I know it. They are only waiting for the 1.2 P / 1.4 D to give the Figo the reputation of being fuel efficient. And then, there's the 100 BHP for us petrolheads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
What about the pricing and colour variants?? Hope Ford does a good job in this section.
6 colours on offer. The green you see here, a red, silver, white, dark grey and black.

Expected price : Bang in the Swift / i10 territory (if not slightly lower).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
No steering tilt adjustment and power window for the rear pasengers, while competion offers ABS/air bags on their top end variants these days.
The version I drove is equipped with ABS and airbags.
Old 25th January 2010, 10:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review. To the point. Figo looks like a very competent car. Will Figo be the first car to have ABS + Airbags but no rear power windows?
Old 25th January 2010, 10:05   #13
superveloce

Great review! Amazing and i do agree with you that the 1.6 would have made sense but then again the trend now is the 1.2 mill. A lil more power to match the other 1.2l options in the market would have done though.
When will this hatch hit the showrooms?
And why no power windows on even the top end variant?

Old 25th January 2010, 10:09   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Great review, GTO.

Just one query: Is Ford going to persist with just the awful pink colour on the dashboard, or are they planning to colour-match the dash with body colours? Wonder if your test car was a full production model, or just for the test - which might explain a pink dash on a green car...
Old 25th January 2010, 10:14   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
but no rear power windows?
Quote:
Originally Posted by superveloce View Post
And why no power windows on even the top end variant?
On a lighter note : refer to picture no. 10 from the interiors post. Rear window doesn't go down more than 55 - 60% anyways, what's the point of having power windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Just one query: Is Ford going to persist with just the awful pink colour on the dashboard, or are they planning to colour-match the dash with body colours?
Luckily, that pink / red dash colour is optional. You can choose a full black dash.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks