Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2014, 16:35   #121
BHPian

Re: Proud Owner - F. Red Fiat Linea MJD E-Pack

Finally, Got the servicing done recently at Balaji Thane, ODO read ~69K. Following items were on my list of things to do,

1) Regular service and fluid changes
2) Fixing Oil Leakage around turbo area
3) Fixing "Check Glow Plug" message
4) Radiator Flush and Full Service

SA noted above things, and, recommended a host of below replacements/changes,

> Front/Rear Shocks, basically, Linea Ground Clearence increase package - costing about 24K,

> Brake Disc/Pad replacement - costing about 7.5K

> Timing chain replacement (company recommends at 60K, had earlier refused the same during 60K service) - costing about 11-12K

Decided to buy "timing chain replacement" package, as they said the chain noise is coming and it's better to replace, if the chain breaks while engine is running, it will be an expense of ~2 lakh. Deferred other recommendations for later as I thought it wasn't due rightaway (pads had life to last another 2K, wasnt feeling anything wrong with ride/shocks).

Lead time of 2 days given considering timing chain replacement. Gave the car on Saturday and was promised delivery on Monday evening. Saturday went opening up the timing chain. Majority of actual work was due to happen on Monday (including replacement of fluids and other things), took Monday off from work, spent the day at workshop witnessing almost all the things.

Got the condenser (behind the radiator) washed (doesn't or can't happen in regular wash, since both radiator and condensor are behind the bumper) as part of radiator flushing job, the AC cooling has become quite effective after this.

The driver rubber mat that came along with the car had torn, got new rubber mats (costing ~1370).

The Oil Leakage was diagnozed due to leakage in turbo-intercooler pipe, the fix was to replace that assembly, however, the part (costing ~1900) wasnt available in stock.

The rubber gutka on clutch paddle was coming out, asked if it can be replaced, apparently, they didn't have it in stock as well.

Barring two items above, got all the other things sorted. Total financial damage ~22.4K.
Autocop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 17:43   #122
BHPian

I will be going in for my 80 K servicing. Get it done every 10K instead of 15K recommended. I have had my front bushes, stud pads, link rods and tie rod changed. Curse the Mumbai roads. Brake discs have been changed as well. I changed the timing chain at 60K. Clutch still going strong.
Palio_2005 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 17:33   #123
BHPian

Was following 15K service interval until 60K as majority has been highway driving then. Off late am hardly going out on highways, it's mainly city driving over weekends, hence, by default am ending up servicing in 10K interval (which I think is a right way, since, lot of cold start and short distance driving means, more wear and tear).

Palio2005 - In your case,
Shocks were not replaced with all those suspension components?
Where did you get the work done?
How much cost?

I thought FASS is charging very high for this work, am considering doing the suspension work outside, would welcome any comments/guidance or references of reputed private workshops specializing in suspension work in Thane/Mumbai area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
I will be going in for my 80 K servicing. Get it done every 10K instead of 15K recommended. I have had my front bushes, stud pads, link rods and tie rod changed. Curse the Mumbai roads. Brake discs have been changed as well. I changed the timing chain at 60K. Clutch still going strong.
Old 21st November 2014, 13:03   #124
BHPian

Service Update:

Recently got the Brake Pads and Discs changed from R S Motors, Kandivali(W). Since Balaji Fiat didn't have parts in stock, and, had to go out of town on Thursday, checked with other workshops in Mumbai/Thane area about part availability, luckily R S Motors had both (Discs/Pads) available. Went to the workshop around 2PM, they completed the works in about 1.5 - 2 hours. Informed them about the noise coming after switching off the engine, it was diagnosed to a worned out Gearbox Side Mount, luckily that part was also available in stock and was replaced in 30-45 mins. By 5.30 I was out with all the issues resolved. Had asked them to check and top the fluids, that was also done promptly.

R S Motors is a service only workshop, the owner (Mr. Deshmukh) had a multi-car workshop however they specialized in FIAT, recently he has opened a FIAT authorized Service Center (though he still continues to service other cars of old customer). The owner himself has been involved in designing Gearbox for FIAT cars and diagnoses the problem and gives perfect advice. He is personally present and inspects/oversees almost every work. All service staff members are highly proactive, efficient and motivated (most of them working for the owner since long time).

Would highly recommend this shop for all FIATians in Thane/Mumbai area.

Overall the entire job costed me 7370 including parts/labor.
Autocop is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2015, 14:12   #125
BHPian

Updates since last one:

1)
few days after Konkan trip in Nov-14, noticed Oil drops/patch in parking lot, after checking noticed leak from two sides a) beneath Timing/Alternator belt area, b) beneath Turbo pipe.

Took car to workshop for inspection, 1st issue was diagnosed with Oil Pump Oil Seal (replacement was the solution), 2nd issue was attributed to leak from Turbo pipe joint (replacing some clips/clamps was the solution).

Got the issues sorted at R S Motors sometime in Jan-15 (Finance Damage ~1100).

2)
Suspension (both Front and Rear) was making odd noise since last year or so, it was attributable to mountingPads-Shocks joint hardened/rusted due to water accumulation, considering 70K KMs were over with stock suspension, the recommendation/presumption from R S Motors folks was both sets (Front and Rear) will require replacement, rough estimation for suspension component replacement taken 6-7 months back was ~25K. The impact of delaying the expenditure (as confirmed with FASS folks) was survival with noise and rough ride, nothing else to worry, hence have been delaying the same.

In Feb-15 Fiat announced 3-day check-up and repair camp offering 12% discount on parts and 25% on labour, utilized the opportunity to get both front and rear suspension upgraded replacing all 4 - shocks, mounting pads, bushes. Luckily lower arms were in good shape. After the upgrade ride has become very quite, and, also GC has increased by 10-15mm (thanks to newer shocks design) .

Got work done at R S Motors around end of Feb-15 (Finance Damage ~20500, saved about 3-4K on discounts).

Experience R S Motors folks to be honest, professional and trustworthy. It's a small facility with limited space, they don't have ramp to lift and thouroughly bottom wash the car, personally I hardly care about it since I find them very good/competent at core mechanical/maintenance work. Would highly recommend R S Motors to all Fiat owners in Thane/Mumbai area for all service/maintenance requirements.

Linea continues to be fun to drive, and, runs as good as new.

Enjoy owning and riding brilliant product from Fiat!

That's all for now, Thanks for reading!
Autocop is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2015, 04:53   #126
Senior - BHPian

You really are a proud owner like your thread says, against popular consensus, Linea/Punto both are pretty reliable cars and the maintenance costs are similar to other cars in the segment.

Just like you, our Linea has also completed 60k kms and all it has required is a clutch change at 50k (mine is a petrol)+ suspension strut mounts. Still drives like day one and we have no plans to sell it, it has become the family workhorse.
Old 14th March 2015, 06:11   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocop View Post
Linea continues to be fun to drive, and, runs as good as new.

Enjoy owning and riding brilliant product from Fiat!

That's all for now, Thanks for reading!
Thank You for the updates Autocop.I too now own a Linea MJD which is less than a month old and threads like these just keep echoing that my decision is indeed right.I have completed my initial ownership thread and this is currently under review with the MOD's .
Old 16th March 2015, 14:30   #128
BHPian

Glad to hear users taking ques from such threads to make informed decisions.
Many congrats for your New Linea MJD, Wish you good time and many many years of happy miles with it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
threads like these just keep echoing that my decision is indeed right.I have completed my initial ownership thread and this is currently under review with the MOD's.

Thanks. on Linea/Punto costs comment, rather believe in most aspects Linea/Punto spare costs may be cheapest among European/Japanese cars in same class. Wish you continued good time with Linea for years to come!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
You really are a proud owner like your thread says, against popular consensus, Linea/Punto both are pretty reliable cars and the maintenance costs are similar to other cars in the segment.

Last edited by Autocop : 16th March 2015 at 14:31. Reason: spell check
Old 4th May 2015, 20:31   #129
BHPian

Been off for couple of weeks (2nd half of April) on family (2+2) vacation up north in Linea.

Journey Route/Destinations Covered:
Thane-Ahmedabad-Ajmer-Amritsar-Patiala-Chandigarh-Bhakra Dam-Chandigarh-Agra-Nagpur-Pune-Thane.

Distance Covered: 4940 Kms

FE: 19.8 Km/L (includes 2.5 Hrs crawling/idling to cross Narmada enroute Thane-Ahmedabad, otherwise, should have easily got ~21 Km/L)

States Touched: MH, GJ, RJ, HR, PB, HP, DL, UP, MP

~Travel Cost (Fuel + Toll): 11,500 Fuel + 2,500 Toll = Rs. 14,000, which works out ~Rs 2.80 /KM, Rs 3,500/person.

Memorable Drives/Roads:
1) Chandigarh - Bhakra Dam to & fro drive was awesome, it's a scenic route along Punjab-Himanchal border, in fact Bhakra Dam is in Himanchal, road condition is quite good. Happened to visit Naina Devi temple on a hill top near Bhakra Dam (~20-25 Kms away), and, took a short boat ride in Guru Govind Sagar Lake.

All in all a must visit place full of natural beauty.

2) Ahmedabad to Udaipur road is 2X2 and in excellent condition until you enter Rajasthan.

3) Delhi - Agra (~260 odd KMs) Yamuna Expway is the most modern road have driven so far in India. You pay Rs. 360 for toll, but, I think its worth the money.

4. Jhansi - Sivni,MP along NH-26 (~400 KMs) has been unexpectedly by far the best road, it's 2X2, very little traffic, hardly any big cities/towns in between and it bypasses whatever smaller towns/cities, could maintain 110-120 Km/Hr speed consistently all thru. Were earlier planning to halt mid-way (@Sagar, MP) between Agra-Nagpur, however, because of NH-26 decided to directly shoot straight to Nagpur. Completed ~900 Kms Agra-Nagpur in single day, our longest drive of the journey.

Places of Interest Covered:
Ajmer: Ajmer Sharif

Amritsar: Wagah Border (Flag Retreat Ceremony), Golden Temple (The best of all locations visited), Jalianwala Bag, Brothers Dhaba

Patiala: Kali Temple, Gurdwara Dukhaniwaran Sahib, Sheesh Mahal, National Institute of Sports

Chandigarh: Rose Garden, Rock Garden

Bhakhda: Bhakra Dam, Naina Devi Temple, Guru Govind Sagar Lake

Agra: Taj Mahal, Lal Kila

Orchha: Ancient Ram Temple in Orchha, UP

Linea performed briliantly as usual, provided due comfort to all occupants and ensured they were not exhausted after those long drives. ODO stands at ~79K after the journey.
Autocop is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 08:59   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Been off for couple of weeks (2nd half of April) on family (2+2) vacation up north in Linea

Linea performed briliantly as usual, provided due comfort to all occupants and ensured they were not exhausted after those long drives. ODO stands at ~79K after the journey.
Excellent Autocop,
Looks like Linea's are rolling all over India on Summer vacation. You are the 6th person whom I have come across who did long trips without any Hassel on the FIAT this Summer.
Kudos and my regards to your family as well who are supportive on such long endeavors. Kindly add some pictures mate when you have free time.

Cheers,
pdma.
Old 5th May 2015, 10:07   #131
BHPian

Thanks Pdma, credit supportive families and Fiat Cars for inspiring owners to embark on such journeys. In 5 years of ownership this has been the longest of drives we've embarked on, otherwise, bulk of those 72-73K KMs clocked earlier have been in MH.

Notice you are clocking miles thick and fast in your New Linea, Many Congrats and Wish you good luck and many many happy miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
Excellent Autocop,
Looks like Linea's are rolling all over India on Summer vacation. You are the 6th person whom I have come across who did long trips without any Hassel on the FIAT this Summer.
Kudos and my regards to your family as well who are supportive on such long endeavors. Kindly add some pictures mate when you have free time.

Cheers,
pdma.
Autocop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 10:14   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Been off for couple of weeks (2nd half of April) on family (2+2) vacation up north in Linea.

FE: 19.8 Km/L (includes 2.5 Hrs crawling/idling to cross Narmada enroute Thane-Ahmedabad, otherwise, should have easily got ~21 Km/L)

States Touched: MH, GJ, RJ, HR, PB, HP, DL, UP, MP
We did a North India drive as well during the same period. And we took 2 hours and 45 minutes to cross the Narmada/Golden bridge, this was on 19th April.

Quote:
Exactly. The comfort level is definitely brilliant especially during the long drives.
Old 7th May 2015, 15:08   #133
BHPian

For benefit of fellow BHPians from far south wanting to go up north, vice versa and otherwise, sharing some perspective on routes to vertically traverse India.

Can imagine three main corridor to vertically traverse the country.

1) Western Corridor (Kolhapur-Pune-Thane-Ahmadabad-Udaipur-Jaipur-Delhi)
2) West-Central Corridor (Kolhapur-Pune-Nashik-Indore-Gwalior-Agra-Delhi)
3) Central Corridor (Hyderabad-Nagpur-Seoni-Sagar-Jhansi-Gwalior-Agra-Delhi)

1) Western Corridor High/Low lights:
Loads of big cities encountered, making it very convenient for halts and any vehicle support issues
Excellent Road in patches (Pune-Mum eway, Baroda-Ahmadabad Eway, Ahmdbad-Udaipur road), and, otherwise overall decent road quality
Awfully busy
Crossing Narmada river is tiring, affects FE and increases journey time
Few hills/ghats to encounter (between Satara-Thane) may slightly affect FE
2. West-Central Corridor
believe it shares some limitations of Western corridor and enjoys few advantages of Central corridor (ex: Yamuna Eway).
3. Central Corridor High/Low lights:
~650-700 KMs (Seoni-Jhani NH26 + Agra-Delhi Yamuna Expway) of pure Nirvana roads with sparse traffic
Hyderbad-Nagpur NH-7 is also very good
Newly constructed Outer Ring Road to bypass Nagpur is time-saver and allows one to head straight to Mansar->Seoni
Almost entire corridor is thru plains (hardly ghats or hilly tracks) and relatively sparse traffic helping boost Fuel Economy and reduce journey time.
After Nagpur, next town for halt/vehicle service (Sagar) is almost 400 Kms away, making it riskier in case of requirement to attend vehicle break-down/service.
Relatively higher toll bill (between Ngp-Jhani on avg every 50-80 Kms there are toll plazas demanding in Rs. 60-100 range, Yamuna Eway is Rs.360)
Jhani-Agra road quality is average
Summary/Perspective:
Comments about Western and Central corridors is based on recent drive experience. No experience driving thru West-Central corridor, hence, can't comment much about it.

Assuming,
a) decent condition of vehicle, and,
b) quality of roads / density of traffic beyond Hyderabad/Kolhapur is similar,
believe taking Central Corridor to vertically travese the country may be better bet.
Old 19th May 2015, 17:49   #134
BHPian

Find few snaps of recent punjab trip at link below,

http://1drv.ms/1B9xUmk

p.s:- last 4 snaps of MID belong to recent solo Thane-Jalna, where managed to get excellent FE after long time.

Last edited by Autocop : 19th May 2015 at 17:51. Reason: removal of tags
Old 8th October 2015, 12:58   #135
BHPian

90K Service Done at R S Motors (while ODO Read ~82K)

12-months since last service had gone by and Linea has been due for service since Jul-15. Had been delaying since last few months due to busy work schedule and given the fact had done about 10K KMs only since last service. Finally on 2-Oct got my 90K service done at R S Motors. The vehicle ODO read 82K (which meant about 14K driven since last service) at the time of service, however, technically it was 90K service.

During previous service at 68K had done power steering oil replacement, Full Radiator service and coolant replacement, and Gear Oil replacement, this service was just a general service. Had few minor complaints/requests - Door bidding being loose, unnecessary stickers to be removed from windshield, Blue&Me version upgrade.

Had pre-booked the appointment for 2-Oct, reached the shop around 9.50AM, there were 3-4 vehicles in queue, had to wait for 10-15 mins before being attended by the SA, going by 90K checklist SA mentioned various fluid replacements, I told him about lots of replacements having been done in previous service and asked him to verify same in the records, he promptly checked/verified my claims in the system, we agreed on a regular service and reported few open issues, was given a quote of ~Rs. 8500 for the service.

All issues were promptly sorted and vehicle was handed over at 4PM. Since I travelled all the way from Thane to Kandivali, I rather waited in their customer area, was generously offered tea at regular intervals.

All in all another nice service experience at R S Motors. Trustworthy, passionate, honest and dedicated staff (including owner Mr. Deshmukh ex Fiat Engineer), highly recommended!

Touchwood, Linea is going strong and continues to be a pleasure ride and drives like New. Thanks for reading, Good luck and all the best until next update!
Autocop is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks