Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2010, 19:15   #391
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Akshay1234 and Spadix, Thanks a ton for the feedback. This makes my decision much easier. I have negotiated a better price in the meantime (8.15) for the blue V-AT and will probably book it today or tomorrow. Yet another question, the Blue Civic V-AT has fabric interiors. So 07 models had both leather and fabric options in V-AT trim? Maybe once I get the car, I will write about it in the Civic maintenance threads.
It must be an S-AT my friend. The V came with leather seats. The S-AT was available for a while before being discontinued. Please get your dealer to lower the price more now that its an S
Old 13th November 2010, 20:21   #392
dot
Senior - BHPian

Thanks again Akshay1234. Will check when I go there tomorrow. The dealer is Mahindra Firstchoice. I am probably hijacking GTO's thread with this discussion.
Old 22nd November 2010, 15:28   #393
GTO
Team-BHP Support

*Update*

- Just gave her a fresh supply of Mobil 1, 7700 kms after the original oil change at the time of delivery. She guzzled down 3.7 liters of oil with a new oil filter (Rs. 220).

The Good

- In the 8th month of ownership, and at 3.75 years of age, not a single problem in the last 7,700 kms. Not even a bolt gone loose. Visits to the workshop = Zero.

- The custom exhaust (link to thread) and K&N typhoon (dyno chart coming up) have completely eliminated the problem of low rpm throttle response. Driving in the city is a breeze. I don't have to carefully co-ordinate the A & C pedals anymore.

- Taken her for surprisingly frequent highway runs (over the usual expressway steed, the C220) and driving with 1 or 2 onboard is an absolute blast. One will always end a trip with a wide grin. The steering is a work of art, gearshift slick and the engine extremely revv-happy.

- The spacious interiors are a great place to spend your time. High quality, well designed and feel plush.

The bad

- Honda couldn't have done a poorer job with calibrating the rear suspension. Not only is it way too soft (sags with 2 on the back seat), but the handling goes for a toss with 4 - 5 onboard. The rear end seems to be thinking the exact opposite of the front. Solution = Better, after-market dampers. Added to the modifications checklist.

- Folks don't appreciate the low seats (in fact, they hate it). Creates a hassle for egress more than ingress.

Summary : A rare car that appeals to the head & the heart. Coming up : wheels, tyres and a better suspension.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd November 2010 at 15:30.
Old 22nd November 2010, 15:46   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Summary : A rare car that appeals to the head & the heart. Coming up : wheels, tyres and a better suspension.
This ties in spot-on with my views on the car, except that bit about not a single bolt having gone loose. I've seen a few rattles already - nothing major but irritating nonetheless on a brand-new 15+ lac car. Everything else is exactly what I've seen over 3.5 months and 5600 kms. It really is a beautiful car to own and drive on a daily basis!

Your exhaust mod to solve the low RPM response sounds very appealing. I think I should prioritize this over some of the other things I've lined up for the car.

I have some questions about the upgrade but I guess that thread is the better place to ask them.

Regards,
spadix
Old 22nd November 2010, 15:52   #395
Team-BHP Support

GTO im currently using a Civic which has done 60k kms and is a manual. The clutch is a little gone too. And what I find is that the poor low end torque is a little over hyped over here. I mean sure it could be better but it is manageable, I mean ive not even stalled the car once.

And the engine is a gem, and the interior plastics are good. But there are rattles, and the suspension dosent seem to be holding up that well. Typical Jap traits if you ask me. Though with your car I doubt you will get rattles owing to your damping. Still be a little more careful especially after you get your 17" rims.
Old 23rd November 2010, 09:02   #396
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
This ties in spot-on with my views on the car
Plus, your car being a facelift wears a firmer (superior) rear suspension set up.

Quote:
I've seen a few rattles already
Do you know how heavily my car is damped? I'm probably wearing 6 - 7 kilos of noise kill damping material. However, note that when I took delivery too, the 3 year old car had no rattles at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
And what I find is that the poor low end torque is a little over hyped over here. I mean sure it could be better but it is manageable, I mean ive not even stalled the car once.
It's easy to drive around once you get used to it, Akshay. That cannot take away the inherent flaw with this engine.
Old 23rd November 2010, 10:49   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Plus, your car being a facelift wears a firmer (superior) rear suspension set up.
That's true, but I can still feel the softness over really bad humps/ditches/potholes and/or when the car's loaded. I'm sure it could be firmer still. It frequently bottoms out when I hit a pothole/ditch (unknown ones, obviously) at even 17-20 kmph with me being the only occupant!

Quote:
Do you know how heavily my car is damped? I'm probably wearing 6 - 7 kilos of noise kill damping material.
Oh yeah I've read through the "turning my Civic into a disco" thread of yours .

The rattles I've been hearing are from the rear parcel tray and steering wheel/horn boss. Noise deadening wouldn't help for this sort of stuff. I guess I must blame the state of the roads here after the monsoons. They could bring the toughest cars to their knees.

Quote:
It's easy to drive around once you get used to it, Akshay. That cannot take away the inherent flaw with this engine.
Very true. I must've stalled the car maybe twice. I'm used to gunning it now when starting from a standstill (especially on inclines or to climb over a rail or speed-breaker or boulder) and it works, but it just doesn't feel good/right.

Regards,
spadix
Old 23rd November 2010, 10:57   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
*Update*

- Taken her for surprisingly frequent highway runs (over the usual expressway steed, the C220) and driving with 1 or 2 onboard is an absolute blast. One will always end a trip with a wide grin. The steering is a work of art, gearshift slick and the engine extremely revv-happy.

The bad

- Honda couldn't have done a poorer job with calibrating the rear suspension. Not only is it way too soft (sags with 2 on the back seat), but the handling goes for a toss with 4 - 5 onboard. The rear end seems to be thinking the exact opposite of the front. Solution = Better, after-market dampers. Added to the modifications checklist.

GTO,
I could not agree with you more. Even my car that has crossed 4 years has no rattles what so ever.
Now only if the car had a better suspension.
Totally agree with you when you say the cars handling goes awry with 5 onboard. I wonder what was Honda thinking.

I will keep my eyes peeled for your suspension mods. I am seriously contemplating going for it. Have you shortlisted any?

I contacted Red Rooster Racing for the same and they quoted 91K for Tein Super Street Suspension package, add 25K if you want the EDFC.

Way out of my league.

Quote:
GTO im currently using a Civic which has done 60k kms and is a manual. The clutch is a little gone too. And what I find is that the poor low end torque is a little over hyped over here. I mean sure it could be better but it is manageable, I mean ive not even stalled the car once.
You can say that again, whenever I switch on the car the blue lighting takes my breath away. It still has the wow effect on me despite the 6 months of ownership.

Yes, the problem is not so pronounced once you spend some time with the car but I have stalled the car a couple of time though much to my embarrassment.

Cheers
Old 23rd November 2010, 11:07   #399
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

So true. Just after I posted the last post, I drove the Punto after 3-4 days. And boy, it was so much easier to drive in traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post

I contacted Red Rooster Racing for the same and they quoted 91K for Tein Super Street Suspension package, add 25K if you want the EDFC.

Way out of my league.
If you want to go a level lower, then you can get D2 coilovers for around 50k. Since you arent really gonna be racing or anything, I think they should suffice. Infact im planning the same for my Accord.

Another option is to use Koni Yellow Shocks on stock springs which should again work out to about 40k.
Old 24th November 2010, 12:39   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another option is to use Koni Yellow Shocks on stock springs which should again work out to about 40k.
Yes thats what I had originally in mind. Thanks, will pursue this angle further.

Regards
Old 24th November 2010, 15:19   #401
BHPian

Guys, could use a few words of wisdom from you chaps.

In the market for a Civic Auto. Had originally booked a vento AT but now have decided that I dont want to sit around twiddling my thumbs for 2-3 more months (waiting since Sep).
I am currently getting a quote of 15.46 OTR (30k cash discount + Honda assure) .
Want to get a sense from you on what accessories I should negotiate for with the dealer (counting on his year end enthusiasm!)
Tyres: Have asked for a Michelin tyre but have been told that is something decided elsewhere but can try and see if it can be arranged for
Spolier: Think it actually looks pretty sporty. (Showroom cost is 21k)
I think I am getting mud flaps and rubber mats already.

Please advise if I can extract anything more
Old 24th November 2010, 16:02   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekmohan83 View Post
I am currently getting a quote of 15.46 OTR (30k cash discount + Honda assure) .
That's a fantastic deal for an AT! In Hyderabad the OTR without discounts is around 17 lac!

Quote:
Want to get a sense from you on what accessories I should negotiate for with the dealer (counting on his year end enthusiasm!)
Tyres: Have asked for a Michelin tyre but have been told that is something decided elsewhere but can try and see if it can be arranged for
Honda is very stingy with freebies. That's been my experience and also of many others on the forum. It's almost as if they're doing you a great service by offering their cars at the current prices .

Add the Honda Assure offer on top of that (part of which is borne by the dealer) and you have a very stubborn dealer. It should help your cause if there are at least 3 dealers in town (for instance, Hyderabad has two and it's an oligopoly that works very well).

Body cover, monsoon protection floor mats (the Civic comes with carpet mats which will gather slush and stink like crazy when they get wet) and window tints are the things I would push the dealer to give for free.

I got the body cover "free" but it turns out it's some cheap after-market cover and not the genuine Civic cover, from the looks of it. YMMV.

One note regarding the spoiler. I counted pennies and didn't go for it when I purchased my car (always wanted it). I thought I'll buy it later. However, Honda body paint is very soft and swirls/mars/dulls easily (this is despite taking precautions like not using bore water, washing in the shade etc.). So if I go buy the spoiler now the paint difference will look ugly. Something to keep in mind.

Regards,
spadix
Old 25th November 2010, 11:43   #403
Senior - BHPian

Please find my replies in bold

Quote:
- Just gave her a fresh supply of Mobil 1, 7700 kms after the original oil change at the time of delivery. She guzzled down 3.7 liters of oil with a new oil filter (Rs. 220).

Did you check the deep stick before you changed the oil, if yes, was it showing normal or was it a bit less. The civic we have at home is consuming about 5-600 ml of oil every 5 k kms. Honda says its normal, when I argued, they showed me the manual which states that the car can consume up to 1L of oil in 1k kms. I check a few other cars in the service station last time but the oil level seemed ok.

If anyone else is due for oil change, please chk the oil levels for me before you drain it. Thanks.

Answers my question.. was wondering that your average run has increased

The bad

Ask me, with the side skirts, it cant be more miserable. The DDA (Delhi Development Authority) had put some pipelines at the end of the road, from where we live and instead of putting it right, the creatures have made a huge hump over it. Even cedia bottoms out with 4, think whats it gonna be with the civic sports. I feel like even paying someone to get rid of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post

Thats exactly what they suggested for the cedia as well. Only thing I was wondering was, how am I to take the car to Banglore.lolz. Jokes apart, I'd only be using the car for next 6-8 months, so dont plan to spend a lot.
Quote:
If you want to go a level lower, then you can get D2 coilovers for around 50k. Since you arent really gonna be racing or anything, I think they should suffice. Infact im planning the same for my Accord.

My car is about 58k done, would it be better to get the coilovers once I am to get the suspension changed, though even that is like 30-40k kms away. Also, whats it like with the complete aftermarket suspension, how much should that cost.

What were those D2s that Arush put on Abix's cedia. Were those coilovers? I remember they costed some 1.2lac. I am looking forward to GTO's civic suspention upgrade. Probably, he has some surprises for us?

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 25th November 2010 at 11:47.
Old 25th November 2010, 14:06   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, could use a few words of wisdom from you chaps.

In the market for a Civic Auto. Had originally booked a vento AT but now have decided that I dont want to sit around twiddling my thumbs for 2-3 more months (waiting since Sep).

Please advise if I can extract anything more
Besides the cash discount, Honda is also offering insurance at Re.1. So the total benefit is 70K (30K cash discount plus 40K insurance).
Not sure about the accessories though. Anyways Honda accessories are exorbitantly prices for eg: the fogs if bought from them would cost almost 20K.
Old 26th November 2010, 14:27   #405
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Did I mention the beautiful steering? I had a quick splash & dash to Lavasa on wednesday / thursday. The highpoint of hitting the curves really hard was the mindblowing steering; perfectly weighted, perfectly sized, chunky to hold and continuous feedback. The best unit in this segment by a mile.

Quote:
Did you check the deep stick before you changed the oil, if yes, was it showing normal or was it a bit less.
I check the dipstick (and all other fluids) atleast every fortnight. No top up was needed.

Quote:
Answers my question.. was wondering that your average run has increased
Two reasons for this:

- The driving experience

- The awesome ICE

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks