Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2011, 14:57   #466
Senior - BHPian

Re: Got my *pre-worshipped* Honda Civic

Well the prices of used Civic's in Bombay have taken a tremendous beating. The rates at which the Civic's are going is unbelievable. Primarily due to the petrol prices and Civic as such is not a fuel efficient car.
BTW, pineapple_ameet has bought my Civic, had to sell it reluctantly as I'm traveling tomorrow.

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 14th December 2011 at 14:59.
Old 14th December 2011, 17:03   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
*Update* : As expected, some stone or rock hit the bottom at Pawna. Exhaust developed a leak and was slightly dislocated. Cost to fix = Rs. 350 only

The Civic is a lovely highway car. Superb steering, good stability at even 160 - 180 kph and sharp front end..
Which road can you drive at such high speeds? Palm Beach Road or Expressway?

I was stumped to learn you got a near brand new Civic for just Rs 8 lakhs !

Also noticed large number of readers of this thread have switched choices from buying new cars to "Pre Worshipped" Cars. That is bad news for car makers right from BMW's to Honda makers and many in between.

Last edited by nanduchitnis : 14th December 2011 at 17:31.
Old 8th February 2012, 16:38   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Complete review in a long-term ownership thread.

[/list]
I cannot find your civic long term ownership thread.

Can you please point it to me?
Old 8th February 2012, 20:55   #469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
I cannot find your civic long term ownership thread.

Can you please point it to me?
Unless i am mistaken he is yet to post the long term ownership review.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 23:13   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion003 View Post
I am being offered a 2008 Civic at 5.5 lac. ........................ if anyone had any other specific pointers or red flags that they must watch out for when they go and see the car.

Does the price strike anyone as suspiciously low? I have done a little research and haven't found a 2008 Civic at this price. I should mention that it is the second owner who is selling and that the car has done 29k km.

Any advise would be appreciated.
The price is right as there is a further 10-15% shave-off from the market price as the number of owners increase. Hence, it will definitely be cheaper than similar cars from first owners. And coming from the trusted source, you can definitely proceed to the next step of checking it out.

What you need to verify is
1. why is the second owner selling it and veracity of the same.
2. check the tyres and if they are stock which they should be for <29k run car, check the manufacturing date to establish they are stock. If you see new set of tyres, its guaranteed that the odo is tampered
3. check insurance papers. if insurance is comprehensive, then the car is most probably in use and condition should be better vs third party insurance where the car is most probably not in use and waiting to be sold. this interpretation however can't be very strict and may depend on case to case basis.
4. Again, insurance papers will tell if there was any claim. Zero NCB means a claim and that needs to be investigated.
5. Usual check of service history/etc with taking the car to the workshop and thorough examination there
6. Check for the owner details/car details on Vahan/Sarathi website from the following thread. Click on the Vahan link, enter the car details: Regn number and Chassis number, you will come to know the car details, etc

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-all-rtos.html

Good Luck with your purchase and I'll surely recommend you not to miss this deal if the car is good.
Old 14th March 2012, 00:41   #471
BHPian

Hey GTO,

Just read the entire thread in one go (guess I'll be late for college tomorrow). You got your self a great deal. Congratulations!!

My Opel Swing is now due for replacement (soon) and after getting the W124, dad & me are 100% committed to getting used/pre-worshipped cars. Every time I look at a Civic, it makes me WANT one even more. Seriously, it is so appealing, it looks phenomenal. I've sat in one a few times, but I am yet to drive it. I'll probably head to a dealer for a test drive soon, even if it is just for kicks. The maintenance costs seem to be light on the pocket too. I'd probably go for an auto because even though I am an enthusiastic driver and I regularly exploit the high end of the band, the traffic situation in Delhi is getting worse day by day and there is less space to let go.
I noticed you haven't mentioned the fuel economy. I think it's cause of all the performance mods?
Looking at your thread has just made me more resolute in my effort to convince dad to get us (ME!) a Civic.

BTW, I don't think I ever thanked you for putting up the W124 in the "Best enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees" article. It was your very post that got the ball rolling for me. And I think you've done it again!
(PS: Your posts are rather heavy on the pocket. Rs 750,000 and counting!)

Last edited by GTO : 20th March 2012 at 20:35. Reason: STRICTLY no more than 2 smilies per post please.
Viraat13 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 20:47   #472
GTO
Team-BHP Support

It was time for the Civic's Annual Service! As most of you know, I prefer to send the Japs to the workshop only once a year. Well, there's nothing really that goes wrong in them

This time however, the bill came up to a whopping 18,000.

Reasons:

Faults

Zero

Breakdowns

Zero

Accident Repair

My brother's girlfriend had a minor shunt with a pedestrian, and the cargo he was carrying broke the windscreen. Luckily, she took the right call & drove him right away to a local hospital. Passed all checks with a clean chit. Later, she took him down to the police station to record the incident. The pedestrian put it on police record that he has suffered no injury.

The Civic however needed a new windscreen and rectifying some minor dents on the bonnet.

Maintenance

The usual annual stuff from my thread on maintaining the car yourself. Plus, everything Honda recommends at the 30,000 kms checkpoint.

The first non-maintenance part replacement in 5 years

The service advisor from Solitaire Honda called me and said that my Civic's suffering from the dreaded, premature engine mount wear. Gosh, considering the number of Civics that need a replacement of this crucial part, Honda Indian ought to run a recall right away! I took his advice and sought replacement for a hefty 9K.

Just took her for a spin this afternoon and she feels *tight*. Nothing like a 5 year old car, really. She's a keeper who will serve me well for a long time to come.

Other likes at the 5 year point:

- The ability to work day after day without complaint. She's the only "always on" car from the garage.

- Ages really well. The interiors feel like new, and the exterior has held up well too. Not a single spot of rust.

- That revv-happy engine, slick gearshift & delicious steering.

- Ice-cool air conditioner.

- Thumpin' ICE.

With a firmer rear end (thanks to the coil spring adjusters) and better low end torque (thanks to the performance exhaust), she's an all-rounder. Actually, nearly an all-rounder if it weren't for that lousy boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Well the prices of used Civic's in Bombay have taken a tremendous beating.
You can say that again! I'm seeing mouthwatering deals for 5 - 6 lakh rupees. That's Chevrolet Beat money!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
I noticed you haven't mentioned the fuel economy. I think it's cause of all the performance mods?
Get about 9 in the city with a light foot. Heavy foot = Don't ask

Quote:
BTW, I don't think I ever thanked you for putting up the W124 in the "Best enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees" article.
You are most welcome

Last edited by GTO : 20th March 2012 at 20:49.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 20:53   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The service advisor from Solitaire Honda called me and said that my Civic's suffering from the dreaded, premature engine mount wear. Gosh, considering the number of Civics that need a replacement of this crucial part, Honda Indian ought to run a recall right away! I took his advice and sought replacement for a hefty 9K.
Is the engine mount wear associated with shuddering during startup and shut down. I can feel little shuddering on the steering wheel of my Honda City i-VTEC (1.4 year old, 9800KM and under warranty) and one of my friend told me that it is due to engine mount wear?
Old 20th March 2012, 22:49   #474
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
*Update* : However, the OEM tyres are lousy and I'm looking forward to the sports suspension upgrade.
can you please shed some more light on the details of the suspension upgrade.

also on tyres, if you were to upgrade, what specs and what model would you pick?

thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 23:40   #475
BHPian

Reliability after one lakh kms

Quote:
Faults

Zero

Breakdowns

Zero
Same here at five years and 1,03,000 kms on the odo.

I am planning a Goa drive with my family in May and hope the car is reliable for a 2,600+ kms drive (to be done within a week)(Tuticorin to North-Goa one-way is around 1,250 kms).
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2012, 16:46   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The service advisor from Solitaire Honda called me and said that my Civic's suffering from the dreaded, premature engine mount wear.
Did you not get any indications that the mount was on it way out , no grrr sound of vibration ?
Old 2nd April 2012, 08:36   #477
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sumeet,

Not really, there was some mild vibration, but it wasn't bothersome. I've built a good rapport with one of the Senior service guys at Solitaire Honda and he personally looks after my car. Thus, if he tells me my mounts are gone, I'll take his word for it. Most other pre-facelift Civics have suffered from prematurely worn mounts and I believe in preventive maintenance.

Basically, in my annual service, I want to get everything taken care of. I don't like sending the Honda to the garage more than once a year, even if its for scheduled maintenance.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2012, 06:52   #478
BHPian

As a first post, I think it apt to thank you here, GTO. Without this thread, I might have never ended up with my pre-worshipped Civic (though I did choose to go with an AT). So there, thank you very, very much. I've had a wonderful time since, though I did enjoy driving my Baleno around until then (that was another value-for-money buy)

Quote:
The Civic is a lovely highway car. Superb steering, good stability at even 160 - 180 kph and sharp front end. The coil-spring adjusters have greatly helped in flattening the ride. However, the OEM tyres are lousy and I'm looking forward to the sports suspension upgrade.
Your OEM tyres are lousy, and you are looking forward to a suspension upgrade - am I missing something here?

Have done only 24,000 kms in my Civic so far, so have a lot of tread left (the only thing the NCT5s seem to be good for, anyway). But am seriously considering changing my OEM tyres as my first true upgrade. Am just a little surprised that you haven't changed them yet.
Old 16th June 2012, 10:19   #479
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranti View Post
So there, thank you very, very much. I've had a wonderful time since, though I did enjoy driving my Baleno around until then (that was another value-for-money buy)
Most welcome.

Quote:
Your OEM tyres are lousy, and you are looking forward to a suspension upgrade - am I missing something here?
I have a thing for OEM tyres and the way they slide . Am awaiting delivery of my rims, so better rubber is only a block away.

Quote:
Have done only 24,000 kms in my Civic so far, so have a lot of tread left (the only thing the NCT5s seem to be good for, anyway).
Don't go by tread depth. Indian OEM tyres are rock hard because the masses like tyres that last long (and not grippy tyres that might wear out sooner). The Goodyear NCT5's are gone by 35,000 kms, even though they might have a good amount of tread left.
Old 16th June 2012, 11:07   #480
BHPian

Quote:
I have a thing for OEM tyres and the way they slide . Am awaiting delivery of my rims, so better rubber is only a block away.

Quote:
Don't go by tread depth. Indian OEM tyres are rock hard because the masses like tyres that last long (and not grippy tyres that might wear out sooner). The Goodyear NCT5's are gone by 35,000 kms, even though they might have a good amount of tread left.
Not intending to, especially since the tyres are close to six years old as well, and I wouldn't want to compromise on something as crucial as tyres (even though I have a good 10K left even by the 35K measure you suggest).

Am also looking for the coil spring adjusters that you tried on your Civic (thanks for that, too). Just need to find time to order a set and find a good garage in Bangalore, since I moved here not too long ago.

Will now wait for your suspension upgrade. Maybe, can take a lead from you on that as well.
kranti is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks